24 Season 8

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: 24 Season 8

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed May 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I'd like to think of Aaron retired and on a beach somewhere, his current mission subsists of fucking the crazy out of the former First Lady. :wink:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby MacCready on Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I'd like to think of Aaron retired and on a beach somewhere, his current mission subsists of fucking the crazy out of the former First Lady. :wink:

That's a full time job, considering..... :wink:
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby travis-dane on Wed May 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I would like to see Tony one last time. He's not dead right? I liked the 7th season, Voight was great bad guy.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby MacCready on Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 pm

travis-dane wrote:I would like to see Tony one last time. He's not dead right? I liked the 7th season, Voight was great bad guy.

Well, he's not dead, but he is very likely locked away someplace not unlike Gitmo, and you've a better chance of having Jimmy Hoffa resurface....
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 pm

So it's all over. Sad to see Jack go. But at least they didn't kill him off. For my taste, I would have like to have a bit more closure after 8 years, but it was okay, I suppose. I think the last moment between Jack and Chloe was really touching and genuine.

But I felt like they were trying to set up the movie a bit too hard.

Not bad, but I have to admit I'm sad that there's no more Jack.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 am

See Jack run. Run, Jack, run.
I'm gonna miss that guy. And the moment between Jack and Chloe was sweet.

Meanwhile, Stephen Root is still decaying somewhere in the wall. WTF? They should have had that right at the end of the credits - some tech is looking around in the room, trying to figure out where that stink is coming from, then the stiff comes rolling out of the wall. Black screen. Out.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 am

the last 2 hours of 24. until the next 2 hours of the movie, that is. talk about going out with a whimper instead of a bang.

i had 3 major issues with the finale:

1) the last few episodes have really been cranking up the tension and darkness, with execution-style killing and medieval torture and an attack on a former president. and i had hoped they would follow through on that and give the show a finale that lived up to the earlier seasons of the show, when it still had the capacity to shock and surprise. instead, they pussied out at the end. they went right up to the edge... and backed away. when jack backs down and tells chloe "ok we'll do it your way" it was very disappointing.

2) and then, once jack does back down, for the remaining 45-50 minutes of the show he's practically irrelevant to the story. all of the sudden, it becomes about chloe and ortiz trying to get the data chip whatsamathingy out to the press and gov't officials, logan scheming, the schizo president waffling about whether to force the treaty through or fess up to her wrongdoing, etc. at that point, jack is no longer the one pressing the action. he's just a bystander, and he's practically ignored til the last 5 minutes. the show always tries to give lots of subplots to secondary characters, but in the end, 24 is about jack bauer. and this is the last episode of the show. jack should have been front and center for that whole final hour.

3) and that leads to those last 5 minutes. probably the least suspenseful end of a finale i can imagine, and that's mostly because we all know there's going to be a 24 movie, and there can't be a movie without jack, so there's no real suspense over whether he'll be executed or not. it's not a question of WHETHER jack will live or die, just a question of how he'll get out of it. and in true 24 fashion, they end it by copying a previous season and putting jack on the run and going into hiding from a foreign gov't.

i think if this were just a season finale, it might be ok. the lack of focus on jack and the watered-down ending could be overlooked some. but as a SERIES finale, it's pretty weak. i hope they do a better job with the movie. but i'm saying it now, if the movie in any way shape or form involes a CTU MOLE, i'm gonna go all jack bauer on the people behind it, and no chloe obrien is gonna talk me down from it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 am

TheBaxter wrote:if the movie in any way shape or form involes a CTU MOLE, i'm gonna go all jack bauer on the people behind it, and no chloe obrien is gonna talk me down from it.

8 Seasons, 8 CTU moles. Why would the movie be any different?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 am

Gotta agree with you Baxter re: the "pussying out". Shoulda taken 'em both out in my opinion.

The last hour of 24 ever and Jack was hardly in it = weak.

I know there's a film in the pipeline but Jack needed to die tragically at the end.

And why the fuck did they have to say Logan was still alive?

All of that being said, I enjoyed watching Pres Taylor go through the ringer for two hours.

I also liked near the end when Chloe, Cole and whatshisname had CTU to themselves although they missed a great opportunity to have the mad Doctor come in and make a Human Centipede: CTU Edition.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby MacCready on Tue May 25, 2010 10:55 am

It was a nice touch to have Keifer thank the audience at the beginning.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm

MacCready wrote:It was a nice touch to have Keifer thank the audience at the beginning.

Doh I missed that. Is it on Youtube?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 pm

umm. yeah. i missed that too.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 2:01 pm

by the way, was anyone else as disappointed as i was that when the UN secretary showed up and walked up to the podium, he didn't immediately break out into singing the Soul Glo song?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:by the way, was anyone else as disappointed as i was that when the UN secretary showed up and walked up to the podium, he didn't immediately break out into singing the Soul Glo song?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Gotta agree with you Baxter re: the "pussying out". Shoulda taken 'em both out in my opinion. Agree

The last hour of 24 ever and Jack was hardly in it = weak. Agree

I know there's a film in the pipeline but Jack needed to die tragically at the end. No no no. FUCK NO! This is one of the points I keep hearing, and I couldn't more strongly disagree. I don't want to see Jack die. After all his years of service and loyalty, I just really want to see him retire and be a grandpa. He fucking deserves it.

And why the fuck did they have to say Logan was still alive? Agree. Really would have like to see Jack actually put the bullet in Logan. But I thought it was sort of fitting that he tried to commit suicide before, so it was fitting he succeeded now. And THEN they say he didn't succeed after all. WTF!?

All of that being said, I enjoyed watching Pres Taylor go through the ringer for two hours. I did too. After Jones really kicking ass last season (and being awarded for her work), she had been a disappointment this season. But the last two hours were her best of the season. Nice to see her redeem herself a bit at the end too. And I liked how she said, "We'll be coming after you too Jack." Jack will be on the run from everyone. Sort of like Batman in the next film, I assume.

I also liked near the end when Chloe, Cole and whatshisname had CTU to themselves although they missed a great opportunity to have the mad Doctor come in and make a Human Centipede: CTU Edition.
No comment.

* My responses in RED.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 pm

I thought it was a better finale than Lost. It actually resolved the season's storylines, gave Jack some sort of vindication and was forward thinking to the next evolution of the franchise.

Biggest travesty: Not having Eric La Salle in the series sooner. Wasted talent right there.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:I thought it was a better finale than Lost. It actually resolved the season's storylines, gave Jack some sort of vindication and was forward thinking to the next evolution of the franchise.

Biggest travesty: Not having Eric La Salle in the series sooner. Wasted talent right there.

Agreed. I was like, "It's Eric La Salle! Wonder what Dr. Benton has been up to."
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 pm

I don't get the "Jack must die" chorus either. Why? What's the message? Be a hero, stand up for what you think is right, and you get killed.
Bollocks.
Jack deserves some better reward for his years of pain, loss and service. Death ain't it. Killing Jack sends the absolute wrong message. I personally liked the last image of the series...Jack looking up at his only true surviving friend, the one person who had his back, as his face pixelates and disappears.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed May 26, 2010 9:14 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:I thought it was a better finale than Lost. It actually resolved the season's storylines, gave Jack some sort of vindication and was forward thinking to the next evolution of the franchise.

Agreed. I was like, "It's Eric La Salle! Wonder what Dr. Benton has been up to."

Hell drop Bubba Gump and put Dr. Benton in his place at CTU and watch him shine. Like I said, WASTED OPPORTUNITY.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am

i will say that, even though i thought they made a mistake putting so much focus on president taylor in the final episode, cherry jones definitely brought it. she took some pretty silly last-minute mind-changing and actually made it believable and compelling. that was some fine acting, just wish they could've gone there an episode or two earlier.

i DO think this series has to end with jack dying. obviously they couldn't do it because of the upcoming film, and my biggest complaint about the ending was not that they didn't kill jack, but that there was no tension or suspense because we knew they WOULDN'T kill jack. but i think to be true to the series, jack has to die at the end. i think back to the first season and jack's reward for everything he did was to have his wife get killed. it was a tragedy. and jack's story overall is pretty much a tragedy. tragedies need a tragic ending. jack has lost practically everything and sacrificed practically everything saving the country. it's appropriate for the series to end with him giving the ultimate sacrifice. and it has to be a heroic sacrifice. it would've been wrong to do that this season because he went over the edge and his death at the end of this season wouldn't have been heroic. plus, as long as jack lives, he'll never stop protecting the country. even if he lives to be 90 years old and he's hobbling around with a walker, he'll still get called back by CTU to find bad guys. so until he dies, it'll never end for him.

as for the movie, i have my doubts whether this series is going to succeed as a film. mainly because they stretched the show out for a few seasons too long, and i think they lost some of their audience in the process. will these people come back for the movie? maybe some will. i guess we'll see.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MacCready on Wed May 26, 2010 10:09 am

A lot of assumptions there, most of them wrong.
Jack's entire life hasn't been an unbroken string of tragedies. The eight days of his life that the audience has seen have been, to one degree or another.
But you're assuming everyday of his life was shit and that's wrong. I'll bet the birth of his grand-daughter wasn't a shit day. Or reuniting with his daughter after she saved his life last season. The Jack we saw at the beginning of this season was a happy man. That's not possible if every day of his life in between seasons 1-8 was utter crap. A man's life isn't a tragedy, no matter how many bad things might happen to him. That man giving up, that's the tragedy. And Jack Bauer is not that kind of man. That's why he's a hero. And they all do not have to die. They don't always die. That's rubbish, and very poor writing. "Jack has to die because they ALL die...."? Really? No imagination there. We'll kill the hero because the template says we must. That only works if every story has to be written the same way, and who the hell wants that?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed May 26, 2010 10:11 am

TheBaxter wrote:as for the movie, i have my doubts whether this series is going to succeed as a film. mainly because they stretched the show out for a few seasons too long, and i think they lost some of their audience in the process. will these people come back for the movie? maybe some will. i guess we'll see.

Well, according to EW.com the show garnered 8.9 million viewers for the finale. If they all went to see the film opening weekend at 10 bucks a pop (which is the matinee/senior price mind you), that's 89 million dollars right there.

Depending on the budget, they could very well make a profit on the film's opening weekend going by those numbers.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 26, 2010 10:28 am

MacCready wrote:A lot of assumptions there, most of them wrong.
Jack's entire life hasn't been an unbroken string of tragedies. The eight days of his life that the audience has seen have been, to one degree or another.
But you're assuming everyday of his life was shit and that's wrong. I'll bet the birth of his grand-daughter wasn't a shit day. Or reuniting with his daughter after she saved his life last season. The Jack we saw at the beginning of this season was a happy man. That's not possible if every day of his life in between seasons 1-8 was utter crap. A man's life isn't a tragedy, no matter how many bad things might happen to him. That man giving up, that's the tragedy. And Jack Bauer is not that kind of man. That's why he's a hero. And they all do not have to die. They don't always die. That's rubbish, and very poor writing. "Jack has to die because they ALL die...."? Really? No imagination there. We'll kill the hero because the template says we must. That only works if every story has to be written the same way, and who the hell wants that?

you could say the same thing about EVERY tragedy. i'm sure romeo and juliet also had good days too. but the actual story that we're told about them is a tragedy.
no one is saying jack never had happiness at any point, but every thing we've actually seen him experience on the show itself has been pretty tragic. everyone he ever gets involved with romantically is either a mole, or dies, or is a mole who dies. i still see jack as a fundamentally tragic character, a guy who gave everything to his country and got little in return. maybe a sacrificial heroic death, followed by a state funeral where he finally gets the recognition he deserves, would be a fitting end to his story. at least, that's the end i would like to see.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:as for the movie, i have my doubts whether this series is going to succeed as a film. mainly because they stretched the show out for a few seasons too long, and i think they lost some of their audience in the process. will these people come back for the movie? maybe some will. i guess we'll see.

Well, according to EW.com the show garnered 8.9 million viewers for the finale. If they all went to see the film opening weekend at 10 bucks a pop (which is the matinee/senior price mind you), that's 89 million dollars right there.

Depending on the budget, they could very well make a profit on the film's opening weekend going by those numbers.

i really don't think you can assume that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who watched the show will also pay to see the movie. there's a big difference between watching something for free on tv and going out and paying to see it on opening weekend in a theater.

i doubt 24 will flop at the box office. i'm just not so sure it will do well enough to sustain a series of films, which is what i think they intend. i'm thinking of x-files. it did ok, but it took another 10 years to get another film made. there's a difference obviously, they made the film while the show was still on the air. but the 2nd one did even worse. anyway, we'll see soon enough.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:08 am

TheBaxter wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

i really don't think you can assume that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who watched the show will also pay to see the movie. there's a big difference between watching something for free on tv and going out and paying to see it on opening weekend in a theater.

i doubt 24 will flop at the box office. i'm just not so sure it will do well enough to sustain a series of films, which is what i think they intend. i'm thinking of x-files. it did ok, but it took another 10 years to get another film made. there's a difference obviously, they made the film while the show was still on the air. but the 2nd one did even worse. anyway, we'll see soon enough.

Well, of course not every single person will go. Plus not every ticket is 10 bucks. That was just a rough estimate. Very rough.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it made that amount the first weekend just for the curiosity factor of the film's format alone. The x factor is the budget. If they shoot in Eastern Europe like rumored, it would cut the costs down dramatically. Also, if they have some unknowns step in with a sprinkling of star names versus getting a box office name to star opposite Kiefer.

But I guess that goes without saying.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 pm

my guess would be somewhere in the $20-30 mil range. maybe $40 mil, which i guess would be in line with what x-files did, considering inflation. of course it's WAY too early to be making any predictions since we don't even know what scale they will be making the movie on. will they try to make it a big event picture, or just sell it as a typical action film? is the 24 brand something that will bring in the teens (who really drive opening weekend B.O.) or does it skew older? will they make any attempt to make it more appealing to the female demographic, who probably don't want to see a movie they think will be filled with torture and explosions?

speaking for myself, i don't feel an automatic burning need to see the film. i'll probably wait and see how it looks, how the trailers look, how the reviews are, and then decide whether to see it in the theater or wait for dvd.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Just finished the last episode,

and I have to say, it's a befitting end to the show, the same man who showed vigor and prowess at the beginning limping away a tortured soul, a little more faithless, more jaded.

Same can be said for a post 911 environment from which this show was born, which I felt the President represented.

At it's height, it was all paranoia and subterfuge within our own ranks, ready to yell terrorist at the nearest glance, but we're tired of that, as an audience, as real people and as a society.

I think the president coming clean was a nice touch to end it all, it felt like a complete circle. I felt the lies and deceit cleansed and an optimistic view of politics, as such.

While early 24 seemed more about dealing with the situation, mid 24 was all about justification for the action taking place and now, and the ending? it's a confession which must hold penance.

The series was shit, more of the same, but the ending worked well for me.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri May 28, 2010 2:29 am

I believe there will be a feature film based on 24, if I've heard correctly.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby MacCready on Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 am

Rewatched the finale last night and liked the last few exchanges between Chloe and Jack even more than the first time. It was a fitting and proper end, and very sporting of Jack to let Chloe know what she meant to him.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 28, 2010 9:18 am

MacCready wrote:Rewatched the finale last night and liked the last few exchanges between Chloe and Jack even more than the first time. It was a fitting and proper end, and very sporting of Jack to let Chloe know what she meant to him.

Agreed. Did the same last night as well and it really rang true to their relationship.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Previous

Return to Coaxial