UltraViolet

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

UltraViolet

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:48 pm

The Dino, he have a this British vampire show onna the DVD. Any of a you geeks see it? Especially a the UK Faction? I think it's a only 6 episodes long, but I was wondering iffa there was a more to it than a that.
Last edited by DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby docfalken on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:50 pm

The unspeakable has been spoken Dino. You'd probably flunk out of Hogwarts.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:03 pm

I'm a the putz... edited.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Waitaminnit... did I edit a what i was a supposed to edit?

The Dino, he's so confused now.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:09 pm

Take your Meds Dino and have a little Nap, I'm sure you'll feel better for it Old Man.

You did edit what you were suppossed to edit though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Okay, as someone who takes 5 meds a day and could use a nap right now, I'm confused.

What's the unspeakable? PM me, please, or just use code, or something. I'm slow enough without this kind of frustration.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

"Statistics only tell about other people..."

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:01 pm

They never once use the word vampire in "Ultraviolet"; it's Code 5 or rather the Roman V. Great, great, great show.

I've had the pleasure to pass along this gem to my ex (who loves "vampiric" stories), her sister (a romance novel reading freak who loved the fact that Susannah Harker aka Miss Jane Bennet was in it) and all lovers of intelligent Sci-Fi.

To me it was Idris Elba, pre Stringer Bell, who stole the show. "Terra Incognita" episode V, was my fave, but really they were all superb television.

Fox was rumored to have bought the rights for a US version, but it never got off the ground.

There was so much more they could have done with this and I was shocked they never made other episodes. Damn Brits and your quality tele, why are your "seasons" so short? You guys make like six-8 episodes of a show...for an entire YEAR??? WTF?!?!?!?
*********sorry, just got up, first post of the day and all************
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:34 pm

Good TV. I'm glad FOX never got it moving. It most likely would have been dull if not worse. The only good UK to US adaptations I can think of are "Sanford and Son" and "All in the Family." Everything else, bleh at best.

I should try to rent these on DVD. I wonder if Netflix has it? Must check over the weekend.

It made me crazy that the finale was slightly open-ended. As keepcool noted, how hard is it to make another six episodes?

Got to finish some actual work before I leave for the weekend. See you all a little bit before Monday.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Ultraviolet

Postby Shan on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:12 pm

It was a great show when it was on. I knew when it came out that it was going to be a limited series, probably two at best and unfortunately we only got one. There was also talk of a one off 2 hour special but that also fell through. It's great because of the fact that it's a hi-tech war between vampires and humans and it's totally secret. Humans use hitech weaponry like compressed carbon bullets and guns with mirrored scopes so you can tell vampires from humans while the vampires use things like bank fraud to fund their activities and genetic engineering.

As far as I know, Fox made a pilot which also had Idris Elba reprise his role as Vaughn but it never got off the ground. Amongst other things, I heard they had in the FOX pilot was supposedly that one of the police goes undercover amongst the vampires by presumably becoming one of them - thereby missing the point of the show in that become one of the vampires actually changes the person - so that amongst other things, they're no longer on the side of - and can no longer be one the side of - the good guys. Just look at one of the characters in the original UK series who starts off just investigating the whole situation of the hidden world of the vampires - there's no way as a human that character would have gone along with the plan the vampires were ultimately trying to enact while they were still human.

The word vampire is never actually spoken in the show but someone does stuff up and use the word in the credits of episode 4 once.
Last edited by Shan on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:33 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Movie version of UltraViolet with Milla in the Lead and Directed by "Equilibrium" helmer Kurt Wimmer, There was a review from a really early screening on the main site ages ago, the reviewer hailed the Action as the best he's ever seen but had problems with the execution of the story, here's hoping they've been doing reshoots because the idea is brilliant, I stopped watching the TV series after first episode because I missed the second episode and have never caught up with it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:49 pm

The Dino, he must a be getting old... he forgot alla about that!
DinoDeLaurentiis

I didn't mention the movie because ...

Postby Shan on Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:32 am

... I'm sure even with the TV show having a budget the fraction of the (unrelated) movie, it'll turn out to have been better than the movie. That plus the fact that even though they have the same name, Dino made it clear he was talking about the TV Series. Apart from the common name - the projects aren't really connected.

John, you should try and see the whole series. Well worth it and episode 2 has a very impressive ending. Also worth it in episode 5 for the scene with the coffins and the race to get out of the warehouse.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:44 am

The warehouse scene, she was indeed awesome.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Highlights of the series ...

Postby Shan on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:01 pm

My personal favourites, episode 1 especially the ending, episode 2 demolition of Jack's apartment - I liked it how after the 'nova' - you could hear a car alarm going off in the background. None of this just turning to dust a la Buffy (don't get me wrong, I liked that show too). The tension of the warehouse scene. also how they scored the music, the scene how they put it together overall was indeed excellent ...
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Hey, the guy who did that show did that Space Odyssey (Called Voyage to the planets er something here) right? Fuck that was an awesome special. I got it on DVD. That was at BBC science right, so Locke, do you know that guy?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:27 pm

I've met them briefly, That was made by Impossible Pictures, an independant production Company contracted by the BBC Science Dept, I Left the BBC to join there biggest rivals, I didn't like that show too much though. My old boss (Richard Dale) was offered the first 3 episodes of Dr Who and turned them down, Joe Ahearne directed some later episodes, there was some definate rivalry between the two.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:39 pm

*sits wide-eyed like a six year old at a magic show*

"Wow. And then what happened?"

Just curious, what didn't you like about it?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Hey wow, this show was cool.
I remember watching it and not really getting all of the detail or how technically wll done everything was, although I could tell it was quality. Who knew ack Davenport had it in him eh?

Who remembers the one where there was a paedo working for the vampires and they gave him a kid vampire to abuse, but it was like Kirsten Dunst in Interview, i.e an adult in a kids body.

Great show, I'd like to see another version of it somewhere, providing they didn't do anything stupid with it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Return to Coaxial