Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Postby Neo Zeed on Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:20 am

You gotta see this link for yourselves. Anybody else remember this show? I had some videotapes/toys when I was a kid, and I thought this shit was rad (Damn, what toys are kids playing with these days, anyway? A friggin cup and ball?) ! Lord Dredd rulez! :D

http://www.captainpower.com/

Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:36 am

Damn where did you dig that up from?

I remember those figures.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:54 am

I dunno. I got nostalgic and went on an internet search came up with this.. http://www.captainpower.com/

There also an interview with the creator of the show, and it sounds like he had some ambitious plans for his show, much like J. Michael Straczynski on Babylon 5 (Straczynski also wrote episodes for Captain Power). But Mattel pulled the funding after the toy line didn't do too well, effectively ending the show....

Here's an interesting article with the creator...
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6213/articles/cpfeature.html
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:03 am

OK I want to see a remake.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:11 am

You gotta see that video marked Gary Goddard on the Captain Power controversy
(REAL VIDEO)

And that audio clip of J. Micheal and some lady geeking out over Capatain power's potential storylines. I didn't understand a word of it, but it sounded like old fashioned 80s fun!

I'd be down for a remake.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Straczynski wrote for Captain Power?

The things you learn around here...

Thx, Zeed!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:48 pm

You know, I loved those tapes when I was a kid. I forgot they existed until two minutes ago.

Between this and the EMMET OTTER'S JUG BAND CHRISTMAS thread... God bless the Zone. I'll never leave you!
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Gentleman on Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Not only did JMS write for Captain Power, it has been said Trek stole the concept for the "Borg" from Lord Dredd and his "plan", much like how they always said Trek stole the concept of a space station (DS9) from JMS's idea for Babylon 5.

Truth or myth? Interesting nevertheless.

I LOVED Captain Power as a kid and I've been downloading it (the entire series) from Isohunt. It's taking months, but it'll finish soon. Can't wait to re-watch it.

For a series that had to sell toys, it did so with dignity. It's interesting to note JMS was involved in many other beloved series/cartoons from the 80s... Research and you'll see what I mean.

And I'm not even a JMS fan (never seen more than 5 episodes of B5).
Gentleman
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:29 am

Gentleman wrote:Not only did JMS write for Captain Power, it has been said Trek stole the concept for the "Borg" from Lord Dredd and his "plan", much like how they always said Trek stole the concept of a space station (DS9) from JMS's idea for Babylon 5.

Truth or myth? Interesting nevertheless.

I LOVED Captain Power as a kid and I've been downloading it (the entire series) from Isohunt. It's taking months, but it'll finish soon. Can't wait to re-watch it.

For a series that had to sell toys, it did so with dignity. It's interesting to note JMS was involved in many other beloved series/cartoons from the 80s... Research and you'll see what I mean.

And I'm not even a JMS fan (never seen more than 5 episodes of B5).

Borgs ripped from Dread? I can definitely see that.....Maybe Star Trek thought that a cancelled "kiddie" show would be ripe for the picking.

Interesting fact was that Gary Goddard, the creator of Captain Power, also directed Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren. I always thought it was a fun little Star Wars rip, and I still think Frank Langella as Skeletor is the shiznit!!

I've been looking at a lot of 80s action cartoons and the amount of design and work that went into these so called half hour "infomercials" is insane. Some can say it was just to sell toys, but I always appreciated the detail when I was a kid...it really helped build the world (mythology) of the cartoon. Like a comic book. Their writing could have been waaay better tho'.....the kids would have appreciated it too :D

JMS wrote a lot of good eps like the Real Ghostbusters episode where that dude played the flute and caused the apocolypse, because his girlfriend left him. Really classic.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Gentleman on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:18 am

Yeah.. and apart from He-Man and Ghostbusters, which were widely known toons, he was also behind "Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors", remember that one?

Back to Captain Power: I always find it amusing that "Tank" is none other than Sven Ole-Thorsen... Ahnuld's big friend. He's appeared in several flicks. He was Tigris in Gladiator, for example. He was the neo-nazi's bodyguard from The Sum of All Fears... he was the police guard in "Running Man", he was Tholgrim in Conan the Barbarian (the guy with the big hammer, henchman of Thulsa Doom).

The world is so small.
Gentleman
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:30 am

I never saw Jayce, but seeing this clip makes the kid in me wish I did

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_theme/59/

Oh, yeah Sven rocks! I remember him from The Running Man with his line, "I'm going to cop some steriods." I had to put the TV on closed captioned just to understand what he said.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:29 pm

Zeed, if you've been researching the topic of 80's action toys, this book might interest you: Mastering the Universe : He-Man and the Rise and Fall of a Billion-Dollar Idea by Roger Sweet and David Wecker. Here's an Amazon link:

Link

I never read the whole book, but this Roger Sweet fellow (apparently, the CREATOR of He-Man) was interviewed about it in Toyfare magazine a couple of years back...fascinating stuff...

(Edited by your friendly neighbourhood Bluebottle, Buster LEARN TO USE THE URL TAGS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Happy Holidays.)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:23 pm

the Captain Power tv show was terrible, but the anime video tapes were GREAT! it was like a superfun video game.

and i straight up loved the Wheeled Warriors show. it was like anime but somehow not anime. actaully i think it was an anime made specifically for american audiences (sorta like GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS).
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:18 am

Thanks, Bluebottle...I'll get around to it sooner or later...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:03 pm

Wasn't that the show where you had guns and stuff that shot at the television?

On the JMS Tangent, he pitched B5 to the Trek heads as a trek show. They told him a space staion didn't fit the Str Trek model. He went on to independantly produce the B5 pilot movie while the trek heads blatantly ripped off his pitch. I believe their defense was somethng along the lines of, "On his show aliens come to the station, on our show we go out in search of them."

The Production designer of the "non union" seasons came in as a speaker when I was in college. :-)
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Return to Coaxial