DAREDEVIL on Netflix

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: DAREDEVIL on Netflix

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:46 am

Peven wrote:one little thing, and this is a little surprising considering the nature of the character, but I would like them to work on the sound engineering for further DD seasons, for all the eye had to drink in during the series I felt that more could have been done with the audio to create the rich three dimensional world of sound in which DD lives. that is something of a nit pick, I know, but I think it would make a great show even better.

I just watched the first three episodes with headphones. There are moments where the sound (Murdock's perspective) is just awesome, but it's just small moments here and there. I like that it's used sparingly to keep it a unique experience.

But yeah, only three episodes in and I'm in love with it. Biggest happy surprise is that it's set in the MCU - where NYC was destroyed in The Avengers. But it makes me curious as to how something so incredible could happen, but just be a sidenote in history. I mean.... fuck.... aliens came to invade and freaks with super abilities (oh, and a Norse god!!!) defended the city/planet. You think that would change the world to an effect! :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:one little thing, and this is a little surprising considering the nature of the character, but I would like them to work on the sound engineering for further DD seasons, for all the eye had to drink in during the series I felt that more could have been done with the audio to create the rich three dimensional world of sound in which DD lives. that is something of a nit pick, I know, but I think it would make a great show even better.

I just watched the first three episodes with headphones. There are moments where the sound (Murdock's perspective) is just awesome, but it's just small moments here and there. I like that it's used sparingly to keep it a unique experience.

But yeah, only three episodes in and I'm in love with it. Biggest happy surprise is that it's set in the MCU - where NYC was destroyed in The Avengers. But it makes me curious as to how something so incredible could happen, but just be a sidenote in history. I mean.... fuck.... aliens came to invade and freaks with super abilities (oh, and a Norse god!!!) defended the city/planet. You think that would change the world to an effect! :lol:

It did. Property values went down! What more do you want?!?!? :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Fievel wrote:But yeah, only three episodes in and I'm in love with it. Biggest happy surprise is that it's set in the MCU - where NYC was destroyed in The Avengers. But it makes me curious as to how something so incredible could happen, but just be a sidenote in history. I mean.... fuck.... aliens came to invade and freaks with super abilities (oh, and a Norse god!!!) defended the city/planet. You think that would change the world to an effect! :lol:

It did. Property values went down! :wink:

And scared away all the gays, apparently
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 am

Peven wrote:first of all I agree with the reviewers who say that you need to look at this as a 13 hour movie more than 13 individual episodes

Yup, and a damn fine 13-hour movie it was.

I'm not a big fan of the suit, but I'm over it (I get that it has to be practical, but it was still kind of goofy looking). I was worried that after making jokes about it, and having the stuff on the street, that they were going to go into theKaren/heroin story and try and nail every major DD story in these 13 episodes. Thankfully they did not. They still tapped into a few, though - or set others up.

Foggy did irritate at first, but then I was sold. I haven't read DD in 20 years, but Foggy was always more of a sad sack character. Glad to see he's a lot stronger here.

Every actor owned their role.

Loved it, can't wait for more.

Goodnight.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:53 am

Only three episodes in and I think this is the best thing Marvel's put out since the first IRON MAN. Probably the best thing they've done period.

There's more acting going on in the first episode than in any of the Marvel movies. Very impressed.

Also, that OLDBOY-style hallway fight in episode two was pretty badass.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:46 pm

A thought occurs: why does Daredevil's costume have eye holes?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Ribbons wrote:A thought occurs: why does Daredevil's costume have eye holes?

On a practical note, I say probably to visually deflect the fact that he's blind and protect his alter ego. But a decent realistic explanation would be that the guy who made his costume didn't know he was blind.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:48 pm

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:35 pm

I just watched the episode where Matt gets stuck in an abandoned building with a Russian mobster and everything is sort of falling apart around him. Definitely sold on this show now, it keeps getting better and better.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm on my second viewing and this show just gets better and better. I also want to add in my praise for VDO's performance. He won't get the love from the fan community that Hiddleston does, but I honestly think he's BETTER then Loki as a fully fleshed out villain.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Bloo wrote: I honestly think he's BETTER then Loki as a fully fleshed out villain.

Yes, yes, yes!
I liked Loki at lot, at first. But his subsequent films did nothing to further the character for me. And that's not Hiddleston's fault, but the writing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:09 pm

This show was quite good. It's funny because a lot of it reminded me of the 2003 movie, but having the time to really explore the characters in depth yielded much better results. I think back to that confessional scene in the very first episode now and realize how beautifully it set up the entire season. The action in the show never quite recaptured the magic of that hallway fight in the second episode (although the fight between Matt and Stick came close), but the story was so engaging that I hardly noticed.

Two gripes:

Matt's "super senses," at times. They were smart enough to realize that less is more as far as explaining how his powers worked, but as the season went on some of the details that emerged struck me as ridiculous. It turns out he can even tell whether people are nodding or shaking their heads based on the movement of the air around him, or something? Come on.

A lot of lip service is paid to the idea that Wilson Fisk thinks he's making the city a better place, and several of the people who work for him say the same thing, but what exactly he thinks he's doing for the city is never really explained. I like the idea that he sees himself as a good guy (and it mirrors Daredevil's own conflict over whether he's doing the right thing), but I didn't really see anything he did justify that position.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Season 2 will include Jon Bernthal as The Punisher

I wasn't a big Daredevil or Punisher guy growing up, so I don't know if this is too late, too soon, a strange combo (though it seems logical in the world set up in the TV show) or otherwise flawed, but I'm looking forward to it. And I like the casting of Bernthal. He can definitely bring the needed intensity to the role.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Season 2 will include Jon Bernthal as The Punisher

I wasn't a big Daredevil or Punisher guy growing up, so I don't know if this is too late, too soon, a strange combo (though it seems logical in the world set up in the TV show) or otherwise flawed, but I'm looking forward to it. And I like the casting of Bernthal. He can definitely bring the needed intensity to the role.

DD and Bullseye were regular antagonists in the comics, DD's "no kill" philosophy conflicts seriously with Punisher's "kill first, ask questions later" approach

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Avocados At Law Season 2

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:01 am

Peven wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Season 2 will include Jon Bernthal as The Punisher

DD and Bullseye were regular antagonists in the comics, DD's "no kill" philosophy conflicts seriously with Punisher's "kill first, ask questions later" approach

They were also a team in the Marvel Knights comics.

THR OCTOBER 10, 2015:
'Daredevil' Teases Elektra and Punisher, 'Jessica Jones' Reveals Gender Flip at New York Comic Con
'Daredevil's' new cast additions Elodie Yung and Jon Bernthal were onhand to tease their characters, while Carrie-Anne Moss will play Jeryn Hogarth on 'Jessica Jones.'
Marisa Roffman wrote:Netflix's Marvel shows made a splash at New York Comic Con.

Daredevil started things off in a big way, as the teaser footage showed the first look of Elektra (Elodie Yung) and Punisher (Jon Bernthal) in the show's sophomore season.

"We love two things, and one of them is Matt Murdock. The other is the world Matt Murdock navigates," new Daredevil co-showrunner Doug Petrie said. "With the Punisher and Elektra, we get to take it darker and further. ... The stuff you want to see, we want to see, and we can't wait to show it to you."

The show's new additions were equally thrilled to be a part of the Daredevil world.

"It's intense, it's exciting," Yung — who has an extensive background in martial arts — said of joining the series. "I can't be more happy, really."

Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb shared that Bernthal and his people had talked with Marvel about him possibly playing Punisher before Daredevil was even a series.

"I know how important this character is to you guys," Bernthal said. "I know that. I know how important this show is to you guys. I know how important he is to law enforcement and the military. I look at this as a huge honor, a huge responsibility. ... I give you my word, I'm going to give everything I have."

The upcoming series, Jessica Jones, had its own bit of casting news: Though it had been announced that Carrie-Anne Moss would be a part of the show, Loeb revealed she was playing Jeryn Hogarth, a gender flip of the traditionally male character from the Marvel universe.

"The writing is impeccable, the storyline is so rich," Moss gushed. "As someone who has embodied that female warrior action [character in The Matrix], to see Krysten Ritter doing it on another level [as Jessica]...I'm thrilled."

Ritter praised her coworkers as well, including David Tennant, who was missing from the panel due to a commitment to a play overseas.

Tennant's Killgrave and Ritter's Jessica have a twisted — and traumatizing — relationship, but "David Tennant is magic," Ritter shared. "His performance, his range, he could be funny and then incredibly vulnerable."

The presentation concluded with a surprise for fans — the screening of the full Jessica Jones pilot, nearly a month before its launch on Netflix.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Bloo wrote:I'm on my second viewing and this show just gets better and better. I also want to add in my praise for VDO's performance.

He's really great in this role. I'm no expert on Mandarin but he seemed to pull it off quite well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Maui wrote:
Bloo wrote:I'm on my second viewing and this show just gets better and better. I also want to add in my praise for VDO's performance.

He's really great in this role. I'm no expert on Mandarin but he seemed to pull it off quite well.

HUH???? :?

you are correct, you are NOT an expert on Mandarin......

............because he was playing Kingpin :) :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 pm

VDO will need to eat more twinkies.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Is this going to get a DVD release at some point?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm

My guess is right before season 2 starts
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Is this going to get a DVD release at some point?

Why don't you just Netflix it? Or give a pirate subscription link on a piece of paper to whoever you're giving this a Christmas present to?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 am

Just give 'em the Ben Affleck movie. "That's what you were looking for, right? The Ben Affleck movie?"
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:45 am

Drew Goddard on ‘The Martian’, Screenwriting Misconceptions, and ‘Daredevil’ Season 2
Plus he talks about how he broke into the industry, the best advice he ever received as a screenwriter, and working with Ridley Scott.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:49 pm

DD Season 2 trailer....looks great

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Such a minor gripe, but I wish he would have slightly longer hair (average length). With the shaved head he still looks like Shane from The Walking Dead to me. His later turn as Shane left more of an impact with me than his pre-shaved head days on the show. Hopefully his performance IS The Punisher so that Shane is forgotten (versus saying "oh look - it's Shane playing The Punisher!")

If that's the worst I've got, I guess it's doing something good! :lol:

Loved the Elektra tease. I hope she works out well in the show. The Jennifer Garner abominations (Affleck film and solo film) need to be purged from memory.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm not even watching that because I want to go into the show clean, but here's a neat clip from season 1 just because:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:28 am

I'm finally excited to see Jon Bernthal as The Punisher after seeing this. I wonder if they're going to have more Elektra in the trailer part 2...
find me: twitter and goodreads
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 pm

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/marvel-daredevil-season-2-review-punisher-elektra-netflix-1201703745/

sounds like the second season is more of the good stuff we got with season 1.....I can't wait

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cn3DVV0LHY

holy shit this looks so fucking good. anyone who knows the Frank Miller DD run can see how they are integrating elements of that into the series and doing it damn well

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Oh....... my............ god....... YES!!!!!

The Punisher storyline looks mildly entertaining at best (at this point) to me. But THIS?!? THIS looks amazing!!!
Elektra..... The Hand...... more Stick....... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... DD bliss.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Yay for more Stick
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am

Ribbons wrote:Yay for more Stick

that's what she said
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am

Giggity.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 pm

get off of my lawn! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Anyone else think it's weird that there's no release date for Daredevil on DVD yet?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:54 am

Ribbons wrote:Anyone else think it's weird that there's no release date for Daredevil on DVD yet?

They would make a killing on it, for sure.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:Anyone else think it's weird that there's no release date for Daredevil on DVD yet?

No.

Netflix, March 18th, be there or be square.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:12 pm

yeah, you would think it would help drum up interest (and possibly more viewers) for season 2. kind of like how GoT releases the previous season about amonth before the new season begins.
i'm on the fence about adding netflix streaming for this and a couple other shows, but i'd like the chance to try the show out on blu-ray before deciding whether to add another subscription to my budget.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:35 pm

http://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-2-poster-hand/

for any real DD fan this should look SWEET :D

...and I own each issue # they reference, too :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:27 pm

final trailer before release on Friday....looks fanfuckingtastic

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm six episodes in right now. Fucking amazing.
It is so true to the Daredevil I grew up with, yet offering unique aspects to the characters. I anticipated having issues with seeing Bernthal as anyone but Shane from The Walking Dead. He IS Frank Castle, just as D'onofrio was The Kingpin. Elektra was equally well-cast. Looking forward to finishing this.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm

finished it yesterday. loved it.

will do a leisurely rewatch and look for easter eggs and other tidbits I missed the first time through.

alert to those going to watch: make sure the brightness level on your tv is on the light side or a good bit of the action sequences are going to be hard to see well, I can see some people complaining that it is too dark

I don't think it is a spoiler to say that they end the series in a way that really seems to indicate at least one more season is coming

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 am

I've read a few lukewarm reviews that at the very least indicate season 2 of Daredevil doesn't open as strong as its first, but the frustrating thing about television critics is that they've usually only seen a few episodes, when many series these days are designed to be taken as a whole.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:42 am

I'm 4 episodes in so far and loving it. The fighting scenes are exhausting to watch (and this is a very good thing). Daredevil taking down the entire biker gang down that flight of stairs was quite awesome.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Ribbons wrote:I've read a few lukewarm reviews that at the very least indicate season 2 of Daredevil doesn't open as strong as its first, but the frustrating thing about television critics is that they've usually only seen a few episodes, when many series these days are designed to be taken as a whole.

the first episode starts out a little slow, for sure, but by the end of it things have gotten very interesting and while the show does have a tendency to have scenes of dialogue that run on a little longer than necessary it also has the best fight scenes of any Marvel property as a pay off. if I was going to be a critic I would say that the series' weakness is more to be found in the final few episodes, though there is also a lot to like in the final few episodes, too.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:I've read a few lukewarm reviews that at the very least indicate season 2 of Daredevil doesn't open as strong as its first

I enjoyed season 2 quite a bit but it didn't feel as good as season 1. I got a little tired of Daredevil and Elektra teaming up and doing the same thing over and over again. To be honest, I would have been happy just watching the Punisher. Any episodes that had the Punisher were just so engaging and interesting. Can he get his own show? Seriously good stuff any time he was in an episode.

Good to see Fisk again in the later episodes.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial