Jon Stewart: Oscar-Host

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Jon Stewart: Oscar-Host

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:29 am

http://oscarbeat.latimes.com/awards_oscar/2006/01/ladies_and_gent.html
The long search for an Oscar host is over, with an official announcement from the academy expected to come early Thursday morning.

For the moment no one at AMPAS or involved with the production will confirm it--but according to three sources familiar with the process, the job of hosting the 78th Academy Awards will go to Jon Stewart, the Emmy-winning writer-host of "The Daily Show" and a host of the Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002.

Times staff writers Scott Collins and John Horn report that Oscar show officials first approached Stewart shortly before Christmas. According to a source with first-hand knowledge of the situation, the deal was wrapped up in a flurry of activity a day or two before the holiday.

For the past couple of months, Oscar producer Gil Cates' search for an emcee has sometimes seemed to belong under the "Daily Show"-style heading "Indecision 2005." Last year's host, Chris Rock, was not asked back; eight-time host Billy Crystal said he declined an invitation because of his busy schedule. Published reports claimed that negotiations were underway with Whoopi Goldberg and Steve Martin, though those were never confirmed.

The 43-year-old Stewart does not have an extensive movie career, an attribute Cates generally prefers in his hosts. Stewart has appeared in a handful of films, few of which were Oscar material: "Death to Smoochy," "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and "The Office Party," among others.

But the barbed political humor of his nightly show on Comedy Central figures to make Stewart a perfect fit for the Oscars, especially in a year when many contenders--including "Brokeback Mountain," "Good Night, and Good Luck, " "Crash," "Munich," "Syriana" and "The Constant Gardener"--feature political and social themes.

Stewart will reportedly take at least a week off from "The Daily Show" to prepare for the Oscars, though hosts often spend far longer preparing for the task. Billy Crystal, in particular, often took a couple of months to plan, shoot and assemble his opening film and craft his song medley.

The new host will also use some of his own "Daily Show" writers to help with material. This is standard operating procedure at the Oscars, where the writing staff is usually divided into writers who work with the host and writers who work on everything else, with the occasional free agent (Bruce Vilanch comes to mind) moving between the two camps.

Stewart, who was born Jonathan Stewart Liebowitz, once told "60 Minutes" that he dropped the name Liebowitz because it "sounded too Hollywood."

Sorry, Jon. Can't get much more Hollywood than this new gig of yours.
Last edited by wonkabar on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:36 am

Jonathan Stewart Liebowitz

i always thought Stewart was a strange last name for a Jew.

no problems here, Stewart's been bringin' the funny for years.

here's hoping for some of those patented Daily Show "interviews", love to see them pulll a number on a LOT of hoe-wood douches.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:53 am

this is the best idea they had for a host since Letterman in '95. (not being sarcastic)
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:48 am

I don't think this guy is very well known in the UK, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, you guys seem pleased about it, which is enough of an endorsement for me. I still don't get the lack of love for Steve Martin though - I loved it when he hosted a couple of years back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Lord Of the Rings: The Two Towers. That was a great download.... I mean, moviegoing experience"

Best line at the Oscars ever.

My all-time favourite Oscar moment? When Jack Pallance got on the floor and did several push-ups with one arm. What a legend. And a low-down Yankee liar to boot.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:51 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I still don't get the lack of love for Steve Martin though

Maybe they saw Cheaper By the Dozen 2?

No, I'm being glib. I like Martin, but I'm pretty jazzed about Stewart. He is absolutely hilarious on The Daily Show. I hope they let him bring his writers...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:56 am

Why are many of the UK TBers talking about this? We'll only get the shit end of the stick and not be able to see it when BBC loses the showing of this to f*cking Sky again.

I'm still eager to see what Chris Rock's performance was like last year.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:59 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why are many of the UK TBers talking about this? We'll only get the shit end of the stick and not be able to see it when BBC loses the showing of this to f*cking Sky again.

I love Chris Rock, but I don't think his performance last year was anything special, if memory serves...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:27 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why are many of the UK TBers talking about this? We'll only get the shit end of the stick and not be able to see it when BBC loses the showing of this to f*cking Sky again.

OK, well I'm happy to tell you - Rock sucked. I like him as a performer, but his Oscar show was shit, I thought. I seem to recall he pissed loads of people off. One of them may have been Affleck, if memory serves. So I suppose he deserves some props for that.

Anyway, as for UK people and the Oscars - every year since 2000-ish, I've booked the day off work for the day after the Oscars, so I can stay up all night. I think the BBC and Sky share the Oscars, so every 2 years it's on the Beeb. It certainly was in 2004. Last year it was on Sky, so I'm hoping it'll be back again. But even if it isn't, I'll either impose myself on somebody who has Sky, or I'll listen to it on the radio - It's usually on Five Live. I know the radio doesn't really give you the best of the show, but it's not that bad. I may have to bring my PC into my living room on Oscar night, because Harry always does his crazy stream-of-consciousness Oscar commentary (or "state-of-conscious", depending on how drunk and tired he is), and it will be even more fun this year, as we'll be able to do the same thing in The Zone! So I hope you'll join me on the night of March 5th!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:30 am

He pissed off Ben Affleck!?

This isn't a Social Service Show man!! HAHAHA!!!!
What did he do?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:31 am

I just checked out Sky Uk and im affraid they have the broadcast rights to the Oscars this year, which is a major bummer if you dont have Sky, I personally intend to by Sky Plus in the next month so ill be sorted Mwah Ha Ha
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:32 am

Wankers.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:35 am

I know, i know, the BBC did such a good job a couple of years ago. Jonathon Ross with Rob Brydon and Ronnie Ancona was really really funny stuff
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:42 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I just checked out Sky Uk and im affraid they have the broadcast rights to the Oscars this year, which is a major bummer if you dont have Sky, I personally intend to by Sky Plus in the next month so ill be sorted Mwah Ha Ha

SHIT. I'm really pissed off now. I hate Sky - how many people who have Sky would actually stay up to watch the show? I don't understand how it's economically viable for them - their viewing figures are tiny compared to the terrestrial channels. "wankers" indeed!

And Lugz - I agree, that show where they had Rob Brydon (and didn't Alan Cummings turn up for a bit?) was fantastic, apart from the ubiquitous Jonathan Ross
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:46 am

Mark Cousins should do more shows anyway. What does he do these days?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:02 am

Great. That's what we need. MORE political "humor." :roll:
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:08 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I love Chris Rock, but I don't think his performance last year was anything special, if memory serves...

I thought Rock's performance hosting last year's Oscars was teh balls! On a night that's all Hollywood masturbation, he stood up on stage and told Hollywood to go fuck themselves, stop making shitty movies, and stop casting the pretty-boy white guys for every role. His Oscar jokes obviously weren't his best material, but he was unafraid to bash the Hollywood dignitaries who were there to win awards. And that pissed everyone off. Chris Rock can be the lifetime Oscar host, in my opinion.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I love Chris Rock, but I don't think his performance last year was anything special, if memory serves...

I thought Rock's performance hosting last year's Oscars was teh balls! On a night that's all Hollywood masturbation, he stood up on stage and told Hollywood to go fuck themselves, stop making shitty movies, and stop casting the pretty-boy white guys for every role. His Oscar jokes obviously weren't his best material, but he was unafraid to bash the Hollywood dignitaries who were there to win awards. And that pissed everyone off. Chris Rock can be the lifetime Oscar host, in my opinion.

I second ya, thomas!

Watch the "Daily" every day; hope Jon can do the same...somehow, though, I think it's gonna be a bit more "softball."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:15 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Aw man - I can't remember. I Maybe I got it wrong. It might have been Sean Penn, actually. I'll see if I can find a reference to it

it was sean penn - but not directly - Rock said something along the lines of who the hell is jude law - he's been in everything - if you can't can't tom cruise - wait - don't go out and get jude law - something like that - sean penn comes up later - all serious - and says that jude law was a former co-star of his - a friend - and one of the best damn working actors today - basically telling the world that he has absolutely no fucking sense of humor - then - later - at some point - Rock is introducing some accountants or something - which are actually these 2 huge black dudes - and after sean penn pulls his shit -= chris rock comes back on after commercial - and says that his accountants would like to have a word with mr. penn... Rock actually handled it quite well - media made a big deal out of it - i think p. diddy said that rock should've busted a cap in penn's ass or something - hope that helps a bit - that's kinda how it went down from what i recall...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:18 pm

Yeah, havoc's got it right. Rock was monologuing about how movies suck because they make too many of them, and basically referred to Jude Law as Russell Crowe Lite, or something. Then Penn came out and sort of chastised him for it about halfway through the show. Not too surprised Rock wasn't asked back. Even though I thought he wasn't bad, he pissed off a lot of people, I think. If he was hosting again this year Penn probably would've had a herneia.

I like the Jon Stewart deal. The Daily Show can be pretty funny sometimes, so maybe this will work out. At least it's an infusion of new blood, which is always good. The Oscars needs to do more of this kind of risk-taking.

BTW, SNL did a skit that sent up Penn's reaction to Rock, don't know if anybody saw it. He was emceeing a roast of Clint Eastwood, and anytime someone insulted Clint, he'd freak out. Horatio Sanz was like "How old is this guy anyway? A million?" And Penn was like "Actually, he's 73" or something like that. Good stuff.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:32 pm

I love the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is one of the smartest people working in comedy today. I love the idea of him hosting the Oscars. My only fear is that the Hollywood audience won't respond well to him because most of them won't have any idea what he's talking about.

Still, I'm looking forward to it.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm

If they can post Rob Coddry, Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert, and Ed Helms randomly around the theater, interviewing the celebs in their usual style... that would be epic.

Imagine Samantha Bee interviewing nominees as they are exiting the toilets. The Oscars would never let it happen, but damn it would be fun to see.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks, Havoc and Ribbons! My memory is like a goddam sieve......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 pm

So does that mean this year we'll have the Fake Oscars?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:15 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I still don't get the lack of love for Steve Martin though - I loved it when he hosted a couple of years back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Lord Of the Rings: The Two Towers. That was a great download.... I mean, moviegoing experience"

Best line at the Oscars ever.

Goddamn he had a the 'nother good one, anna for a the life of a the Dino, I can a remember the full quote... something about a forcing a 12-year-old a boy to go to a the certain movie with a him, anna the kid cried through a the whole thing... but the age of a the kid anna being coerced was a the punch-a-line, eh?

Any of a you putzes remember??
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:Jude Law as Russell Crowe Lite, or something.

Colin Farrel was Russel Crowe lite (Alexander is NOT Gladiator!), Jude Law was Tom Cruise lite. And Sean Penn showed he was humorless when he came out against Stone and Parker for Team America.

And Rock wasn't horrible, he didn't do much past the monologue (but who does anyways?), but there was some funny stuff littered in there. My favorite line was introducing Halle Berry, (from the highly anticipated Catwoman 2...).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Best part of Chris Rock's Oscar show was when he interviewed black people at a movie theater, asking them if they'd seen any of the movies nominated for Oscars. They're responses generally consisting of "never heard of those movies." Then asking them if they'd seen White Chicks and them all loving it. Topping the whole segment off with Albert Brooks proclaiming White Chicks the best film of the year.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:32 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Jude Law as Russell Crowe Lite, or something.

Colin Farrel was Russel Crowe lite (Alexander is NOT Gladiator!), Jude Law was Tom Cruise lite...

Oh yeah...

I wonder, did they show a reaction shot of Jude Law when he said that? I have a lot of respect for the guy as an actor, but he always looks pissed off at awards shows. Remember when Caine won the Oscar in 2000? And when Peter Jackson beat out Minghella for Best Director at the Golden Globes in 2004, he seriously looked like he wanted to strangle someone. I wonder how he took the slight.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:40 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Goddamn he had a the 'nother good one, anna for a the life of a the Dino, I can a remember the full quote... something about a forcing a 12-year-old a boy to go to a the certain movie with a him, anna the kid cried through a the whole thing... but the age of a the kid anna being coerced was a the punch-a-line, eh?

Any of a you putzes remember??

Well, it's taken me most of the last hour, but I had to find it, because I vaguely remembered what you were talking about, and it was bugging the shit out of me. The comment in question was actually made the previous time he hosted, which was 2001, I think. I eventually found a site which had reprinted thousands of newspaper articles about his performance as Host. I'll reprint my favourites here, but there's a link to the site at the bottom. Here's why I think Martin should host it:

-Maybe critics are right, maybe Hollywood movies are too violent. Now I took a 9-year-old kid to see 'Gladiator,' and he cried through the entire film. Now, maybe it was because he didn't know who I was......

-Javier Bardem, who gave such a brilliant performance in a movie about a homosexual poet, persecuted by hostile military forces. A movie the rapper Eminem called 'the feel-good movie of the year!'

(After an introduction by U.S. astronauts in space)
-Thank you, astronauts. By the way, that introduction cost the government $1 trillion. So there goes your tax cut. But I wanted a nice intro.

-The astronauts are watching the show from over 200 miles up, and right now all over the world there are 800 million people watching us right now, and every one of them is thinking the exact same thought: that we are all Dumbledore

-Kate Hudson, 21 years old. I love welcoming the young stars into show business because it reminds me of my own death. Kate, don't you find it strange when you first start to be famous? You get so many things we don't deserve. You get free tickets, you get moved to the front of the line. Would you like a new liver? Yes. Mr. Martin would like it, gimme that. And it's so strange when you first start to get recognized. In the supermarket: 'Are you Steve Martin?' Or in the airport: 'Are you Steve Martin?' Or making love: 'Are you Steve Martin?'

-Designers now rush to provide clothes and jewels for people attending the Oscars. This tuxedo was given to me by a famous designer provided I mentioned their name on the show. And the producers of the show said to me, 'You can't do that, this is not the White House. You're going to have to pay for your tuxedo.' So I didn't know what to do, I was in a moral dilemma. So I called my friend Giorgio Armani.

-Tom and Rita have one of the most enduring marriages in show business, and it's not easy to keep a marriage in Hollywood, because we sleep with so many different people!

-There's Ang Lee, director of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.' Now at first I didn't realize that was a movie, because to me 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' sounds like something Siegfried and Roy do on vacation.

-Look how beautiful Julia Roberts looks. Julia, I miss our phone calls, but it seems like ever since you got caller ID, you're never at home!

-But people say to me, 'Steve, you're a Hollywood actor. You must be so separated from the world. How do you keep in touch with ordinary life?' Well, it is possible, and it can be done.

Like the other day, I was having dinner at my house with Mel, Julia, Tom and Gwyneth. Now earlier Mel had called and wanted to bring a friend, some guy who helps children. And I said, 'Mel, let's just keep it names above the title.' And he understood and he was fine with that. And Tom said, 'You know, you just can't get decent sunglasses anymore. And Julia said, 'Well, there's a great sunglasses shop in Beverly Hills.' And I said to Tom, 'The next time you have your driver drop your kids off at school, why don't you have him pick you up a pair of sunglasses? And Tom said, 'I drop my kids off at school,' and I said 'What!'

And then Tom said to Gwyneth that he loved 'Shakespeare in Love,' and Gwyneth said she loved 'Cast Away.' Julia said to Mel she loved 'What Women Want,' and Mel said to Julia he loved 'Erin Brockovich.' And then it was late, and then they all went home. And I thought, this is what I always dreamed about: dinner at home with friends where we discuss the arts....

-And there's Charlton Heston. Now, be careful what you say to him, because he thinks he was in 'Gladiator.'

-You know what I just realized: that hosting the Oscars is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's something I only get to do when Billy Crystal is out of town.

-And there's Tom Hanks, and by the way if Tom wins tonight, that means between Tom and myself we will have three best actor awards.

Martin hosted again in 2003, when Kate Hudson had been asked to present the sci-tech awards.

(After the 2 minute montage section where they showed her giving out the awards)
-Y'know, they always get a beautiful young woman to present the awards to the science and technology people. It's Hollywood's way of taunting them with something they'll never have.

(after mentioning that it was the first year that the Oscars were broadcast in HDTV)
-Hi to the three guys at Circuit City!

-Seeing so many familiar faces, acknowledging your talent, seeing people who have meant so much to the world…it just makes me wonder, for a minute, what is a movie star?

[cue dramatic music.]
A movie star is many things. They can be tall, short, thin, or skinny.
[pause]
They can be Democrats,
[pause]
or skinny.
[pause]
A movie star can be young,
[cue picture of Haley Joel Osment]
middle-aged,
[cue picture of Anne Hathaway]
or old.
[cue picture of Reese Witherspoon; pause]
We worship them, we idolize them, and yes, sometimes we’re annoyed with them. Like when they shoot their wives.
[pause]
But movie stars know when the public is watching, so they always try to look their best.
[cue mugshot of Nick Nolte; pause]
They can be any sex, race, or religion. Sometimes all in one weekend.
[pause]
They can be straight,
[cue shot of Harrison Ford]
or Dumbledore.
[cue shot of Jack Nicholas; long pause for raucous laughter]
Movie stars crave publicity, but have the decency not to brag if they’ve slept with me.
[cue Brady Bunch-style shots of various movie star women, popping in around the centered shot of Martin]
Well, you know the list can go on forever, but we have to get on with the 75th Anniversary of the Oscars.

-Remember, there are no losers here tonight, but we’re about to change that.

-Well, it’s been a great night so far, if you don’t count Julie Andrews getting pistol-whipped at security.

I think the dude is a legend - I got all this stuff here
Last edited by ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:53 pm

Ha! Most of that stuff is pretty funny. Someone's gonna have to explain this one to me though:

-Designers now rush to provide clothes and jewels for people attending the Oscars. This tuxedo was given to me by a famous designer provided I mentioned their name on the show. And the producers of the show said to me, 'You can't do that, this is not the White House. You're going to have to pay for your tuxedo.' So I didn't know what to do, I was in a moral dilemma. So I called my friend Giorgio Armani.

Oh, and speaking of this one...

A movie star can be young,
[cue picture of Haley Joel Osment]
middle-aged,
[cue picture of Anne Hathaway]
or old.
[cue picture of Reese Witherspoon; pause]

...one of the things about the Oscars that I'm sort of conflicted about is that the emcees often tell very cutting, and very true, jokes about the way things work in Hollywood (to some degree). And their audience is those people. And they laugh! They laugh at well-observed deficiencies that they possess and that they have no intention of correcting. It's like, "Hahaha, it's true, we are bastards!" Does that make sense? It just seems kind of absurd to me sometimes.
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:Ha! Most of that stuff is pretty funny. Someone's gonna have to explain this one to me though:

Martin's tux is Armani. The Academy wouldn't let him plug Armani on TV. So instead Martin tells a roundabout story that ends with dropping the name of his friend, who also happened to be the designer of his tux.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:06 pm

Ahhh.... suddenly it all makes sense now. Thanks, Ginger Man.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:20 pm

yeah yeah he's going to be amazing . . . and yes yes, I realize the oscars hosts consistently make self-depreciating hollywood jokes . . . but still, isn't anyone else disturbed by how damn blasphemous this is?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:51 pm

Huh? Someone's gonna have to explain that one to me too...
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:yeah yeah he's going to be amazing . . . and yes yes, I realize the oscars hosts consistently make self-depreciating hollywood jokes . . . but still, isn't anyone else disturbed by how damn blasphemous this is?

Stewart hosting the awards is an affront to God? Is he planning on eating a big ham sandwich during the opening? I'm confused.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:48 pm

haha sorry . . . I just feel like so much of what he does is so far above the sell out cheese of the oscars . . . but I guess I'm alone in my distaste for them

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 pm

TITG, you a the paisan, eh? It's a the great re-cap of a the funny, no?

Another classic a line I remember was a when a that Letterman putz, he host a the Oscars, eh? Anna he said that a the "Eat Drink Man Woman" wasn't only a the best foreign a film a nominee, she was a how a the Arnold Schwarzenegger asked a Maria Shriver for a their first a date, no?

Hehehehe....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:31 pm

IPAMPILASH!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:06 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's frickin brilliant - I never saw the year when Letterman hosted. I know literally nothing about this Jon Stewart dude, but he has a lot to live up to!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:08 pm

John Stewart rocks and he will pull it off wonderfully, just watch.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Autumn on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:56 pm

I might actually stay up until 1am this year to watch the Oscars. I've been hooked on the Daily show since they started showing it here in Ireland.
"This is a rock concert, not the bleedin'
splish-splash show!''
Autumn
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 am

Autumn wrote:I might actually stay up until 1am this year to watch the Oscars.

ISOMDILASH

You'll need to stay up a bit later than that mate. Try 4am....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:30 am

Contrary to popular belief, Letterman wasn't terrible, he just made no attempt to accomodate the Oscars, he just brought his writers, and they did it exactly like it was anyone of his other shows... Apparently the Oscars did not have the same level of high college students in its audience as late night does...
Which is why Stewart has a very tough high-wire to walk, he has to reach out to a non-typical audience while keeping those who are tuning in because they are fans of his. Letterman didn't even try, and Rock failed...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:43 am

I'm waiting for Soy Bomb to host one of these awards shows...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:46 am

I'm waiting for me to host...
The opening will see Bruce Vilanch hanging from the rafters... AND WE ARE OFF...

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:48 am

Agent Alonzo wrote:I'm waiting for me to host...
The opening will see Bruce Vilanch hanging from the rafters... AND WE ARE OFF...

you're gonna need a lot of rope...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:03 am

Don't worry, Jimmy Fallon will be directly below him... If the rope doesn't hold we get two before the first ad break...

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:49 am

Agent Alonzo wrote:I'm waiting for me to host...

After that, I think you'd hold the audience hostage. Literally. And you can give yourself the right to veto any wins you disagree with. And anyone who takes too long to give an acceptance speech has a bullet with their name on it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial