THE OFFICE

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:41 pm

I have to admit, after viewing this episode, I've got a full-on Pam crush going. I tried to fight it, because TV crushes never work out, but I finally gave in. She is simply too endearing.

As crazy as this show can get sometimes, it's the little moments of real life and emotions that creep in that really touch upon greatness. Jim's reaction to Pam turning down the training and her breaking down afterwards is a prime example of that. I felt so bad for her and I'm hating Roy more and more everyday.

He's stuck in a dead-end job and knows he isn't smart enough or talented enough to do anything else. Pam gets an opportunity to do something great and he stops her cold, not because he doesn't believe she can succeed but because he's afraid that she will. They're on the same level now and if she went off and got training and then got this great job afterwards, she'd be the one making the money and having fun at work and experiencing a life full of opportunities . . . the complete opposite of Roy's life.

He also might be afraid she'd want to trade up when she started dealing with higher calibur people on a regular basis, 'cause what white collar woman would want to be in a relationship with a blue collar schlub?

Roy is trying to control Pam to keep her with him. Eventually, his efforts to keep her on a leash is either gonna squash her spirit or cause her to break free. I hope the latter.

I can't believe I'm getting this invested in a sit-com! :P
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:17 pm

Roy is a jerk, but only Pam can hold Pam back. She's ruining her own life.

It all comes down to this -- Pam is a coward and a loser. If she wasn't ruled by fear, she would break up with Roy and go to New York to do the art/design thing. Then, maybe Jim would wind up there too and they could get something going. Or not. Either way, its all Pam's fault that she won't change her life for the better.

Basically, yeah, Roy is a jerk, but how is he holding her back? She's holding herself back.

Am I the only one who gets this? Is my point of view too cold and honest?

I despise emotional weakness.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:35 pm

That's easy to say, but people giving up little dreams that they have for the sake of their spouses (or soon to be spouses) is not unheard of. People ultimately want to be with someone and oftentimes the need to keep a relationship going supersedes any other desire they may have. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's human nature.

I hope Pam realizes that she could be happier without Roy, but right now she doesn't see it that way. She buys into what Roy tells her. She needs positive reinforcement outside of that relationship (Jim!). When her thoughts and feelings are validated outside of her relationship, she'll start to question why she is with Roy. I think this process has started already, but it'll take time because these are subtle things to contend with.

It'd be easy to leave Roy if he beat her or cheated on her. But he's generally a nice guy. A bit insecure maybe, but nice nonetheless. And he seems to care for Pam so she feels safe with him. She probably likes the comfort and safety of that relationship. Leaving Roy, going to that training in New York, admitting her feelings for Jim (if she has any): all scary prospects. There's a danger of failure and hurt feelings if she attempts something else.

Notice how she turned down the training without speaking to Roy first. She was already conditioned to settle. She was comfortable as a receptionist and wasn't interested in upsetting that. She was used to having dreams and not chasing after them. But then she decided to maybe take a chance on something and Roy talked her out of it. The likelihood of her taking a chance on something else is pretty slim now. She knows her place.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, but I am saying it's understandable. Pam is a little emotionally weak, but she is not a loser. She is like many of her peers: wishful, but not daring. She has a nice comfortable life right now and she's not going to want to do anything to upset that. The only way she is going to leave Roy is if something big happens. She'll rationalize all the small stuff on her own.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:50 pm

Oh, absolutely! I totally agree that its realistic; at times, painfully so! I just find her (like most people who do the same thing to themselves out of fear) to be contemptible.

Coupling is not the answer to all of lifes problems. Truth be told (and as we can see with Pam as a primary example), it seems to be the source of most of lifes problems. Better to be alone forever and happy and true to oneself than shackled to an illusion of safety that never existed in the first place. I mean, I'm all for marrying and all that nonsense if the person and/or situation is right for you, but if its not, and its painfully obvious, and you stick with it anyway, thereby plunging your life into a murky haze of depression, complacency, regret, and resentment, then the only person to blame is yourself (or in this case, herself).

Ever wonder about the skyrocketing divorce rates? Very, very few people who actually get married should be married. Pam's on the brink of making The Fatal, Life Destroying Mistake that most frightened young people make as they face Real Life. Too afraid to go it alone, they cling to their nearest rock... next thing you know they're a barnacle wondering where the years went...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:23 am

Did anyone watch The Office tonight?

I'm about four minutes into the show and so far I've heard ZERO dialogue coming out everyone's mouths. NOTHING! I watched My Name is Earl and the audio was just fine. I stopped my tape and my TV audio is just fine. All I hear is background ambient noise and unintelligible chatter!

Am I being Punk'd?

W

T

F

ETA: Okay, ten minutes into the show the audio normalizes. I feel gipped! I want my money back!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby freak2thec0re on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:50 am

Hmm . . . I was such (and still am) an enormous fan of the UK Office that I never wanted to watch an episode of the US one for fear it would cheapen the whole thing . . . but this thread is really making me want to check it out
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:36 pm

I really liked last night's episode. Very solid all the way through.

I was absolutely expecting Jim to do something for Pam to save her Valentine's Day, but of course so was she. I love that he gave her a simple "Happy Valentine's Day" and walked out. The fact that she was so crushed is PERFECT.

I'm really digging the moments they scatter throughout where Michael actually comes through as a legitimate, intelligent manager/salesman. The fact that Jan kisses him after seeing this AGAIN was great, and the fact that he pulls it all out after that horrendous video is even better.

And am I the only one who thought the Dwight/Angela gift thing was oddly adorable?

Also, not sure if you all heard, but Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant have committed to writing at least one episode of Season Three. Should be fun.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:52 pm

Yeah, it was a great episode. Pam is so pwned by meathead (you can almost taste her dread), and Jim seems more or less over it now.

The whole business with the Chatty Cathy office chickee (forget her name), was great too. Especially when Jim is like, "Look, he's just not into you, so shake it off and get over it." Classic painful truth moment!

The stuff with Carrell and the cheesy home video was priceless! Though I thought the final kiss was too corny. I mean, c'mon. Would she really risk that?

The Dwight/Angela stuff was really funny too.

The awkward social tension moments of THE OFFICE are truly sublime. I mean, my god, sometimes its almost painful to watch its so funny and awkward.

(Although the BCC version is still the best, I'm really loving the NBC version too.)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:55 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:The whole business with the Chatty Cathy office chickee (forget her name), was great too. Especially when Jim is like, "Look, he's just not into you, so shake it off and get over it." Classic painful truth moment!

Her name's Kelly, and I love Jim's little comment under his breath when Ryan walks in and she starts talking to him. He just says "Not with me here..."
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:01 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Her name's Kelly, and I love Jim's little comment under his breath when Ryan walks in and she starts talking to him. He just says "Not with me here..."

Totally! :lol: Poor Jim...

I love the whole awkward social tension thing. It causes one to literally cringe with laughter!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Also, not sure if you all heard, but Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant have committed to writing at least one episode of Season Three. Should be fun.

Score!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:45 pm

The Feb 24 issue of Entertainment Weekly has Steve Carrell on the cover and there's an article about the The Office inside. Complete with a couple of sweet pics of Jenna Fischer! The more I think about her, the more I think she's HOT. I think I'm developing a new TV crush. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:57 pm

I saw in the UK papers yesterday that Gervais and Merchant have sold the concept to the french, and 'Le Bureau' will be coming soon!

I'm expecting a clumsy, Clouseau-esque bourgouis Office manager
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:56 am

I watched the first DVD release of the UK Office. It's certainly different. It actually took me a few episodes to adjust, but the entire time it was like I was in some weird alternate universe where everyone talked funny.

Tim was like Jim's doppleganger! I mean, the expressions, the glances at the camera, everything. Dawn is no Pam, however. ;)

And I think at this point I prefer Michael to David. David seemed a little callous where Michael's heart always seems in the right place.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:22 am

I prefer everything about the UK Office over the American Office. Hands down.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flickerhead on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:28 am

UK version, no contest. Mackenzie Crook is incomparable, and while I love Carrell, his character seems much more cartoonish to me than David Brent ever did.

Also, I will likely never recover from the fact that I'll never have Lucy Davis for my own.

And, yeah, Martin Freeman is gonna be a star one day.
<B>Ideals? <I>Uncouth!</I> Fatalism needs youth!</B>
Flickerhead
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:21 am

Yeah, the UK version is the best. It's more real, more believeable, and
quite a bit funnier (not to mention meaner, which cinces the deal).

The US version is great and I love it, but it falls into the same
heart-warming morass that most american tv falls into.

Give it to me real, give it to me mean; I don't need to be soothed.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:24 am

Sure you don't...you are a freakin' ZOMBIE!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:42 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I also loved the fact that the factory guys are thinking about forming a union. The suitwomans' response was also very realistic in terms of the typical corporate reponse -- scare the workers into not organizing. The other office didn't close because of the union; the other office closed because of mismanagment (as per usual). I really hope they keep that side story going; the workers organizing into a powerful union; thereby forcing the coprorate overlords to bow to their demands.

I related to this as I'm in a similar situation. I work in reality tv which is on the verge of being unionized. All of a sudden, I find myself more sensitive to references to unionization. I'm afraid it was a one joke thing but would like that storyline to come back.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby tapehead on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:05 pm

10 web-only Dunder Mifflin Office Eps

http://tinyurl.com/gw9bk

- a pretty smart move, considering where tv audiences are going - just hope the writing for these eps is on par with the regular series
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:53 pm

tapehead wrote:- just hope the writing for these eps is on par with the regular series

why wouldn't it be, are they using different writers?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:01 am

No detail in that regard in the article - I'm just wondering if they're completely producing ten regular articles, or doing smaller scale bonus-style eps (there is some mention in the article about seeing more of the supporting characters)
-it's gonna be cool if they're full fledged eps, my concern is if they're not for broadcat, they might cheap out on the production and stuff

either way it's way overdue that Network and cable tv are attempting to engage seriously with the 'net/pod viewing portion of their audience - and the torrent downloaders.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:21 am

yeah, I think it's a good idea. I just hope the actors and writers will be getting fair residuals just as if they were regular episodes for broadcast.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 am

I think it will be a test case for a lot of tv shows - if it works, I think we'll see a great deal more of this kind of thing
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby cornstalkwalker on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:07 pm

the US version has been excellent. i love the original(UK), bought the entire series, and tell everyone to check it out. I was skeptical at first, but it's(US) really hit the right notes this season. If you haven't checked it out, get on it immediately.
cornstalkwalker
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:16 pm

Check out the really great April Fools PSAs from Jim, Pam, Dwight, Ryan, and Kelly HERE.

My favorites are the ones about office relationships, black jelly beans and average-heighted men.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:19 pm

They showed a few of those last night. I was initially quite confused. :P

Anyone catch the mirrored line last night? Way back when, Jim talked about having a good day after Pam fell asleep on his shoulder during a meeting. Last night, Pam talked about having a good day after shopping for presents with Jim. Something's brewing . . . :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:53 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Anyone catch the mirrored line last night? Way back when, Jim talked about having a good day after Pam fell asleep on his shoulder during a meeting. Last night, Pam talked about having a good day after shopping for presents with Jim. Something's brewing . . . :)

I so did, thought it was a really nice echo.

All reports are that there is no wedding in the cards this season. Looks like the date might get bumped again. (I doubt they'll call the whole thing off--we still have Seaon Three to plan for.)
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:11 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Check out the really great April Fools PSAs from Jim, Pam, Dwight, Ryan, and Kelly HERE.

My favorites are the ones about office relationships, black jelly beans and average-heighted men.

Yeah, the faux-PSAs were really funny!

Definately the office relationship spots were the best.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:01 pm

I was really quite indifferent to the US Office after watching the first season.. just kept picking out flaws of where they went wrong.. you know the drill :) but then after hearing how good the second season was I thought I'd give it a shot anyway

And if anyone is skeptical, I would suggest doing the same, as it seems they really come into their own this time around and produced some genuinely funny episodes (I was hyperventilating when Michael Scott went adlibbing at his improv class).

I imagine this has already been said, but the first season was largely a failure for me, because the cast/direction/whatever just couldn't capture that genuine feel that the UK version had; many of the actors played the characters too large, the production was too slick, whatever.. but then instead of trying to reproduce the UK Office, it seems as though the US Office decided to embrace itself and just say "fuck it, lets play this outside of reality" and they've created a version which is The Office, but also has it's own kind of voice.

US version does get 10 Points off though, because I still don't particularly like Dwight (in a the guy playing him just bugs me) way.. or the studly bloke.. but + 20 for Pam Beasley, and + a million points for drawing cat whiskers on her
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:02 pm

So, I dug the episode last night, thought there were some fun gags. I read an early draft of this episode a few months back, and there were some things in there that were remarkably different, most noticeably in the Jim/Pam jinx situation.

In the version I read, everything played exactly the same up to when Jim cries to get out of speaking and Pam says, "Wow! He's pulling out the big guns!" After that, she starts to get upset that he's not talking to her, and it leads to a more dramatic beat for the "There's something you're not saying to me" bit.

THEN Jim bumps into Roy on the way to the bathroom. Roy says, "Hey" and Jim says, "Hey" back. He looks to the camera and shrugs. The guy's not stupid.

It shows Pam upset for one more beat, then she leaves and buys him a Coke. I felt it was a little more potent in that draft. Those few extra moments were key.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 pm

You know, this ep had much funny, but it also left me feeling a little sad. :(
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Great episode.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 10, 2006 4:24 pm

I just found a clip someone cut for an intro to The Office by way of Battlestar Galactica. It's pretty brilliant.

Check it out HERE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 10, 2006 4:29 pm

AH: Whoa. Déjà vu.
[Everyone freezes right in their tracks]
AB: What did you just say?
AH: Nothing. Just had a little déjà vu.
AB: What did you see?
JL: What happened?
AH: A read a post on another thread, and then another that looked just like it.
AB: How much like it? Was it the same post?
AH: It might have been. I'm not sure.
JL: Nacho! Koolaid!
AB: What is it?
AH: A déjà vu is usually a glitch in Master Whedon. It happens when he changes his visor.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 12, 2006 12:14 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

What an ending...

Steve Carrell needs to write more episodes of this show. Everything from the big, life-changing moments to the small, nuanced ones were just spot on last night.

The Jim and Pam scenes were utter perfection, proving just how great the two actors are.

FUCKING AWESOME.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Fri May 12, 2006 12:18 pm

The telekenisis part was hillarious. Good finale with the kiss and all, and the part where Dwight kisses whats her face and she slaps him, then they both smile...loved it!
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 12, 2006 2:05 pm

I can't wait for next season. This show upped the ante in more places than one. Obviously the big hook is seeing what happens with Jim and Pam. GAH!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri May 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Yeah, that was a great episode and a perfect season ender. It actually
made me believe in love again *sigh*.

I'm glad they finally hooked up. I have a weird feeling it isn't going
to last, though...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri May 12, 2006 9:57 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I'm glad they finally hooked up. I have a weird feeling it isn't going to last, though...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Did anyone else think it was really anti-climactic? I always thought they would spin it out in some farcical manner, but it worked. Still not as good as the british handling but very good in it's own right.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chilli on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:48 am

ETA - wrong thread. DAMNIT.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:54 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I'm glad they finally hooked up. I have a weird feeling it isn't going to last, though...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Did anyone else think it was really anti-climactic? I always thought they would spin it out in some farcical manner, but it worked. Still not as good as the british handling but very good in it's own right.

I don't think what happened at the end of last season guarantees they are "hooked up".
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:58 pm

There's an interview in the New York Times with Ben Silverman, the Exec Producer of The Office and founder of the show's production company, Revielle. He talks about production integration and gives away a SEASON THREE SPOILER!!

[size=9]So for an episode of “The Officeâ€
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Damn. Why do I always read the spoilers???
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:51 pm

shit
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:32 am

So, um, anyone but me watching?

It looks like Jim may have found a new playmate. Poor Pam.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Petri on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:48 pm

Jim better be careful. That girl looks to have a bit of the crazy.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:16 pm

I haven't been checking in, but I've been watching.

The premiere was one of the best episodes yet, and each one since has been consistent and strong. I love that all the supporting players are getting more screen time and each is knocking it out of the park.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:21 pm

I really like how seriously Michael took Dwight's betrayal. Made him a little less 2 dimensional.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial