SNL: A Return to Form?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 pm

Eric G wrote:We don't get SNL over here. I don't know who Lorne Michaels is. I don't know who The Bad Plus are. I don't know what TLR is. I think I deserve a smoke....

lol
i think you do too.
you are probably better served by your ignorance in this case

its not so much the lack of rock, or too much indie, but rather his choice of bands that disturbes me. i think lorne mightve been spending too much time hanging out with the douchebags that pick the grammy nominations, and not enough time actually listening to records.

ETA: if it came across like i didnt know who the bad plus was, please forgive me, that was not my intent. my surprise was more at their selection, rather than their obscurity. but i suppose their (relative) obscurity is what fascinates me about their selection, if that makes any sense.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

WOW! That is fkkn' excellent!

I don't know if I trust SNL to be back to form yet, but that 'Lazy Saturday' thing was hilarious, as was the Jason Lee material ('Good Morning Meth' was the funniest thing I have seen on SNL in years). And now a more eclectic music selection? it definately points to good things on the horizon...

Dude, fuckin' SNL had FEAR on tv back in the day. FEAR! I mean that was audacious. Also Frank Zappa (?!) and i believe Captain Beefheart (?!?!) too... Once they start going all nutso crazy like that and really going over the edge with the humor like in the olde dayz? Then my faith will be restored.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

El Scorcho wrote:LOL. Those ^^^ were the 2 I was thinking of. I don't like VR that much, but Audioslave... Cornell and Morello are gods among men, and any show that pretends to be musically conscious and hasn't booked a band consisting of the greatest rock singer of the last 20 years and one of the greatest guitarists is fucking ALF.

it wouldnt surprise me to see morello tell snl to fuck off, after the debacle that was the one time rage ever played.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:WOW! That is fkkn' excellent!

I don't know if I trust SNL to be back to form yet, but that 'Lazy Saturday' thing was hilarious, as was the Jason Lee material ('Good Morning Meth' was the funniest thing I have seen on SNL in years). And now a more eclectic music selection? it definately points to good things on the horizon...

Dude, fuckin' SNL had FEAR on tv back in the day. FEAR! I mean that was audacious. Also Frank Zappa (?!) and i believe Captain Beefheart (?!?!) too... Once they start going all nutso crazy like that and really going over the edge with the humor like in the olde dayz? Then my faith will be restored.

thanks dude
you read my fucking mind.
this selection instills hope within me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Brocktune wrote:ETA: if it came across like i didnt know who the bad plus was, please forgive me, that was not my intent. my surprise was more at their selection, rather than their obscurity. but i suppose their (relative) obscurity is what fascinates me about their selection, if that makes any sense.

No it's cool, I got the sense that you knew who The Bad Plus were. I'm just saying that, until you told me, I had no idea who they were. Even my "idea" of them now is sort of nebulous. I just thought it was funny that we both arrived at the same conclusion from wildly different perspectives.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Eric G on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:Lorne Michaels is the head honcho, the producer(?) of SNL. TRL, or "Total Request Live", is a show on MTV that replays the ten most-requested songs of the day. And The Bad Plus is apparently a jazz band.

Haha! you could take the first few posts of this thread and turn them into a sitcom script much like seinfeld! But it must end with the line "And The Bad Plus is apparently a jazz band"

here... let me work on it
Last edited by Eric G on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:30 pm

Seconded.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:31 pm

El Scorcho wrote:LOL. Those ^^^ were the 2 I was thinking of. I don't like VR that much, but Audioslave... Cornell and Morello are gods among men, and any show that pretends to be musically conscious and hasn't booked a band consisting of the greatest rock singer of the last 20 years and one of the greatest guitarists is fucking ALF.

Amen . . .

and I rather quickly reviewed TV.com's list of episodes and guests over the past four years and didn't see either band . . . shocker

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Brocktune wrote:ETA: if it came across like i didnt know who the bad plus was, please forgive me, that was not my intent. my surprise was more at their selection, rather than their obscurity. but i suppose their (relative) obscurity is what fascinates me about their selection, if that makes any sense.

No it's cool, I got the sense that you knew who The Bad Plus were. I'm just saying that, until you told me, I had no idea who they were. Even my "idea" of them now is sort of nebulous. I just thought it was funny that we both arrived at the same conclusion from wildly different perspectives.

whew!
well, you know how easy it is to get ones wires crossed in these forums.
in case you are curious, here you go:

The Bad Plus
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Wow, they talk a lot about music theory in their blog.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Eric G on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 pm

Scene begins with Brocktune, Ribbons, El Scorcho, Eric G and Iconoclastica sitting at a round table.
Brocktune has his face buried in a news paper, when he lifts his head with a shocked look on his face

BROCKTUNE: Look at this!

Brocktune holds up the news paper. The head line reads: Steve Martin hosts SNL Feb. 4 with The Bad Plus.

BROCKTUNE: ok, so the quality of the comedy on the show is up and down. but for the most part, for the last several years, i have been apalled at the lack of quality of musical guests.

RIBBONS: (a bit worried) I'll take your word for it....

BROCKTUNE: (starts getting anxious) generally speaking, snl has gone from being a place where you would see irreverant, cutting edge musical acts to a late night edition of trl. so i found it to be very interesting, as well as out of character to see a band like "the bad plus" get booked a week after the fucking strokes

EL SCORCHO; I wish Lorne would stop booking these fucking "indie" acts like Death Cab and The Strokes. Give us some straight up fucking rock once in a while. And I don't mean Korn.

BROCKTUNE: (Still hung up on The Bad Taste) jazz?!? on tv thats not on pbs or bet on jazz? wow. is lorne michaels in the hospital or something. oh wait, i get it, omarion, the darkness, and avril were all booked that week right? thats it. the bad plus mustve been sleeping under the awning at 30 rock, and every other mtv band declined. oh well, ill be watching.

RIBBONS: (begins to get interested) Who the hell are The Bad Plus?! Lorne usually books acts with name recognition. These guys must be pretty good if they're playing SNL and nobody's ever heard of them."

Iconoclastica: has velvet revolver been on the show yet? or even audioslave? They're busy, but not *that* busy . . . would be a pleasant surprise for once. . .

Eric G: (spaced out) We don't get SNL over here. I don't know who Lorne Michaels is. I don't know who The Bad Plus are. I don't know what TLR is. I think I deserve a smoke....

RIBBONS: Lorne Michaels is the head honcho, the producer(?) of SNL. TRL, or "Total Request Live", is a show on MTV that replays the ten most-requested songs of the day... RIBBONS pauses and looks at BROCKTUNE with a concerned look And The Bad Plus is apparently a jazz band.

END SCENE
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Hahaha! Noice!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby docfalken on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm going to take the opposite stance on this topic Brocktune. I kinda like that SNL is working with less than mainstream bands. It might be that their shamelessly catering to the MySpace crowd (what a piece of shit that site is BTW. Don't get me started.), but I like that SNL wants to reinvent themselves around the Internet crowd. It will be hit or miss and I could use fewer Google references, but reinvention is a brave thing to do.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:57 pm

docfalken wrote:I kinda like that SNL is working with less than mainstream bands.

me too.
thats what i was trying to say.
at least i think thats what i was trying to say.

and eric g....

i pictured it like in "that 70's show" around the table, puffy clouds hanging in the air. nice. either that, or an episode of "the fuccon family".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:00 am

Haha! Yeah, spot on; (That 70's show) with the camera following each character around the table....or circle. Yes, yes. Tre cool.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:07 am

Around the circle . . . Iconoclastica: Oh man, did I tell you guys about the time that I stage dove at a VR concert, and somehow made it out alive . . . and without my shirt? True story 8)

Hehe. Niiiice, Eric G . . .

and yeah doc, I think we all kinda like it when they avoid the mainstream guests . . . we're just saying if they're going to go mainstream-ish, it might as well be someone cutting edge or otherwise worthwhile, not to mention somewhat diverse from the usual hip-hop/rap or pure pop choices. Anyway, the "indie" bands they pic seem to be groups that don't make it onto SNL until after they've made at least one appearance on an episode of the O.C. Go figure.
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby El Scorcho on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:32 am

Brocktune wrote:

it wouldnt surprise me to see morello tell snl to fuck off, after the debacle that was the one time rage ever played.

True. Forgot about that. And I'm pretty sure Tom Morello does what Tom Morello wants. Not what the label wants. LOL.

Take tha power back!

Edit: And speaking of crazy concert experiences... I was on the rail for Audioslave in November... Fuck me sidways, that was fucking insane. I almost died.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Won't someone just please kill THE STROKES? They take suck to a whole new level of SUCK. Then again, so do DEATH SLAB FOR POOPIE and all the rest of the 'safe' indie bands currently being massaged by the Corporate Death Machine...

Someone has to do something nutso and sneak FANTOMAS or COBRA KILLER onto SNL or something. Maybe they could bill FANTOMAS as the return of FAITH NO MORE, but when they hit the stage it would be FANTOMAS! It'd be great to see how fast they cut to commerical due to the fear of playing good music instead of mindless doofus pop shit...

"We apologize for that burst of creativity. We promise to return you to your sonambulant pop shit for the mewling, drooling, hyponotized masses as soon as possible."
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:11 pm

At least there was some admirable musical talent on the show last night . . . "Young Chuck Norris" almost brought a tear to my eye . . . CUREFORCANCERILASH?

(or did I take that too far ? :wink: )

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Whoever the camera crew was on that show, they sucked. I saw the boom twice and the cue card guy like 5 times. I was also sorely disapointed by the pirate sketch. I mean they're pirates for Christ sakes, you can bleed more than on joke out of friggin pirates. It's an insul to pirates everywhere to have a whole sketch devoted to "arrr". It's not even that funny to begin with.
shiver me timbers
avast me mast
ye want to feel me peg leg? it's all wood
parrots
eye patches
funny pants
hook hands (clapping would be hilarious)
drunkeness
fornication
gold teeth
no teeth
beards
a pirates social political view on his profession (seeing as this is a convention and all)
an airing of pirate grievances
Peter Sarsgard is a pansy, pirates hate pansies
I can go on forever
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:58 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:At least there was some admirable musical talent on the show last night . . . "Young Chuck Norris" almost brought a tear to my eye . . . CUREFORCANCERILASH?

(or did I take that too far ? :wink: )

Hahahaha! Yeah, that was pretty damn funny...

"Lazy Saturday" is still the number one stunner this year, though. That thing still cracks me the hell up!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:30 pm

NBC...fire Lorne Michaels (if that's possible, he might own the show) bring back Dick Ebersole. Get Brian Setzer as musical director. Get cutting edge bands. The SNL of today would never have a band like Devo on. Sure they have "less mainstream" stuff these days, but it's still "safe" shit. SNL became irrelevant about 15 years ago.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:33 am

Such a shame that the bad plus isn't on (I mean, I guess Prince is what many would consider an appropriate, if not optimum, musical guest - but I just can't stand him) . . . regardless, this looks like it has the potential to be a damn decent episode ::crosses fingers::

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:41 am

Opening was funny. Didn't like the commercial...

I think the only good thing about tonights show will be Steve Martin.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:43 am

heh what else is new . . . hopefully there'll be another good music video too

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:45 am

uhh... this oprah sketch is really obvious.

:(
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:46 am

only good part was the image of oprah with a crossbow . . . I'd love to see the real oprah in a game of medieval russian roulette :twisted:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:48 am

hahahah, yeah.

ok, now THIS sketch is one joke and it's going on for too long... So, so far two sketches that have been television/direct to camera parody.

I haven't watched SNL in a while, man Ron Pardo sounds old.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:55 am

"I like playing in Palastine because when you bomb in the US, they get angry at you, but when you bomb here you get 70 virgins!"

ok ok, better ^_^

and yeah - I noticed that too - Ron Pardo does sound old :-( . . . siigh

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 am

that was funny!

i liked the digital short, and the quick zoom theatre wasn't bad when everythting started screwing up, but it was a little weak up until then.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:02 am

yeah it had its moments - hopefully it's a sign that Steve Martin's getting back into form

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 am

yeah, i would be so happy if Pink Panther was good AND successful. I haven't been this hopeful for a Steve Martin "broad" comedy since... oh man...

?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:16 am

ok I almost pampilashed at the black washington monument photo

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:18 am

from the bits and pieces of the show that i've seen over the last couple years, tina fey and amy poehler are consistently the funniest cast members.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:32 am

No Prince in the Prince Show? Lame.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:34 am

yeah, how could they do prince show, with pince on the show, but not have prince?!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:37 am

Bluebottle wrote:from the bits and pieces of the show that i've seen over the last couple years, tina fey and amy poehler are consistently the funniest cast members.

yeah weekend update is solid now

Bean wrote:No Prince in the Prince Show? Lame.

seriously, wtf? fucking stupid move.

oy I hate Prince.

"We are very close to capturing Osama Bin Laden" - not bad . . . I'm a fan of the space sketch, as stupid as it is :-\
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Cabiria on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:37 am

That there was no Prince in the Prince show was truly bizarre. I bet he backed out of it at the last minute...
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:41 am

The Tangent was fucking brilliant.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:42 am

haha yes! and they actually used NBC resources (I <3 Conaaan) goood shit. . .

and Cabiria, I do believe you're onto something there . . . though I hate to give the writers undue credit
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Cabiria on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 am

Iconoclastica wrote:oy I hate Prince.

Have you heard Kevin Smith speak about him? Your hate is justified.

Bluebottle wrote:The Tangent was fucking brilliant.

Agreed. SNL is doing really nice work with the digital shorts.
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bean on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:45 am

Tangent was amazing! Loved it!

But way to ruin it with the surfing sketch, WTF was that? Worst sketch ever.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:48 am

poor steve martin, he was channeling rupert the monkey boy in a desperate attempt to make that sketch funny.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:51 am

What goes through that sketch's writer's mind? Did they actually think that'd be funny? I mean I didn't even find a point to laugh at.

And a bad second song for Prince. Oh well.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Cabiria on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:52 am

Did Prince just pull a Mary Katherine Gallagher?
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:53 am

Superstar! Oh, I miss those days :sniff:

When did Kevin Smith talk about Prince?!!! The evening with Kevin Smith?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:53 am

oh noes... last sketch of the night...
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 am

Bean wrote:What goes through that sketch's writer's mind?

what amazes me is that the writers room is so packed, and they talk about how difficult it is to get anyone to laugh at anything when they're presenting new sketches, and how critical everyone is... AND these are the sketches that make it to air! How bad are the ones that get shelved?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cabiria on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:56 am

Iconoclastica wrote:Superstar! Oh, I miss those days :sniff:

When did Kevin Smith talk about Prince?!!! The evening with Kevin Smith?

I miss those days too!

And Kev gives quite possibly the greatest Prince story of all time on An Evening with Kevin Smith. He was set to film a documentary on Prince, per Prince's request, and all hell breaks loose. You should check it out, if you've not had the chance.

Oops... On topic, wow, her hair looks weird in this sketch... :P
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bean on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 am

Way to end the show on yet another bad sketch.

Fuck!
Bean
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial