American Idol

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

American Idol

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 pm

It's trashy, it's contrived, it's all that is wrong with the world today... and yet, I can't stop watching.

C'mon, am I the only one who gets a kick out of that guy?

To be honest, this show generally starts sucking when they get down to about eight or so left, but until then I find it rater compelling.

Am I alone on this?
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 pm

I'm with you Whedon. No one brings the hate quite like Cowell, and I love him for it.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Shouldn't this be in the aicn confessional or something??? :oops: (LOL)
I know exactly what you mean though... I swear every season that I WILL NOT WATCH and yet I continue to do so....
I now record it on DVR and it is much better since I can watch just a little bit of each singer & then fast forward... I have actually gotten the hour long show down to around 20 minutes that way.....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bean on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:18 pm

I watch this show for the first few episodes, when we get to see all the awful people. It starts sucking after.

On a personal note, one of my good friends went to Boston to try out for American Idol, she has a record deal with Sony and she wanted to get her name out. The producers of Idol flat out told her they were looking for 'bad singers', and said that if she wanted to get to the judges, she'd have to go to another city.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:21 pm

I gotta to tell a you... the Dino, he's a the avid fan, eh? You gotta to hand it to a the Kelly Clarkson, no? Holy crappa can a that girl belt outta the tune, eh? She gotta the chops, there's a no doubt.

The best a move a she make was a to get out from a the American Idol contract though, no? Look at alla the other Idols... i.e. inna the "Where are a the putzes now?" file. Reuben, Fantasia, anna even Carrie... what inna the hell?

I think a the big problem with a the show is a that the public's attention span, she's a too short too remember the Idol's after a they win anna then go onna the tour (anna drop out of a the TV eye) anna then a they have to wait a for a the NEXT season to release a the first single from a the previous idol, no? Anna by then, we're alla like "who?"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 pm

I love that Kelly Clarkson said they couldn't cover her songs on the show. As much as Cowell and Fuller might take that as a slap in the face, it's the right step for her to take to continue as a legitimate artist. You can't be the "contest winner" forever.

Oh, and I fucking LOVE Since You Been Gone and Miss Independent.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby brainiac on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 pm

I need to get one of those DVRs.

I still morn for Justin, Constantine, and Clay! They was robbed!

Yes, I'm watching every episode...
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Holy crappa donna even a get a me started onna that goddamn putz Constantine, eh?

Clay I gonna to give a you... he was a robbed.

Justin who? Hehehehe....

Oh anna biggest mistake of a the decade? The fact that a the Lynard Skynard dinna sign Bo onna the Season 4 Finale anna tour the country for a the Lynard Skynard Reunion Tour... holy crappa they could have a just a toured the south for a the whole year anna made a the goddamn millions.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 pm

Bo Bice singing "Whipping Post" last year was my favorite moment from any season. That one made me sit up and take notice.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Bean wrote:I watch this show for the first few episodes, when we get to see all the awful people. It starts sucking after.

Wiser words never spoken. For some reason, we get this show at pretty much the same time as you guys (probably Cowell's involvement - I think he owns the rights). I recently saw the one where that Sheriff, I think he was from North Carolina, came on and just repeated the words "I shot the Sheriff, but I did not shoot the Deputy" over and over again. That was hilarious, odd and frightening all at the same time!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Iffa you look back onna the seasons... number 3, she was a the biggest letdown, no? They just dinna have a the talent anna we left with a Fantasia who basically sang like a the cartoon character, no?

The other 3 seasons though, they had a some a good talent, especially when it come a down to a the Final Two.

But still, that Kelly Clarkson... iffa you look back onna the shows, there was a not a ONE mis-step for her, no? Remember back inna the first a season when a they just a throw alla the genres at a the contestants? There was a not a the single genre she dinna conquer with a those pipes, eh?

In alla the other seasons... alla the contestants have a had at least a one mis-step or off-week, no?

But Kelly, she was a the real deal, eh? When a you compare to a the lip-syncing anna over processing of a the Britney anna Ashley anna such.... that's a why she won a the contest... she got a the voice.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:40 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:But still, that Kelly Clarkson... iffa you look back onna the shows, there was a not a ONE mis-step for her, no? Remember back inna the first a season when a they just a throw alla the genres at a the contestants? There was a not a the single genre she dinna conquer with a those pipes, eh?

Not that I watched it, or remember watching it, but I'm willing to bet that old high-pants Cowelly didn't ask her to do her interpretation of Acid House Music... Maybe a fetching cover of that song which went, "I wanna kill a hippie and I wanna get stoned!!!"
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:42 pm

She would have a kicked it inna the ass, paisan... donna dis a the Kelly, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Alla you gotta to do is a listen to her belt outta the "Yeah Yeah!" inna the "Since U Been a Gone, eh?" anna you know she gotta one of a the best "Yeah Yeahs" inna the business, eh?

:wink:

Look inna to a your geek a heart, eh? You know it to be a true...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm

i too am an ashamed watched of Idol, as well as Danicing with the Stars...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Dino's got a little soft spot for Ms. Clarkson, methinks.

You're very right though, about her and Season 3. Fantasia was kinda the boring, obvious choice. And then Diana DiGarmo--WTF? How the fuck did THAT useless heap ever make it to the finals?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 pm

Yes...it is true Dino. I have ashamed myself in front of my peers. I will now play Dino Kong for sixteen hours straight until I learn to respect Ms. Clarkson and her amazing ability to say the word Yeah.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 pm

so sorry wrote:i too am an ashamed watched of Idol, as well as Danicing with the Stars...

Dancing with a the Goddamn Stars!??!?!

Holy crappa paisan... you are a the lost to us...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:49 pm

hey, that Stacey Keibler is enough to get any red-blooded hetero to watch!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Yes...it is true Dino. I have ashamed myself in front of my peers. I will now play Dino Kong for sixteen hours straight until I learn to respect Ms. Clarkson and her amazing ability to say the word Yeah.

Laugh a while a you can, a monkey boy... you gotta to remember, the show, she was originally called a the "Pop Idol" inna Britain, no? Anna you gotta to take a the show for what it is, eh? It's a not called a the "Find a the Next Bob Dylan, eh?" It's a the Pop Idol...

That means a you gotta to find a someone who looks a good onna the TV anna can a captivate a the audience anna be able to belt out a the "YEAH YEAH!" like a the life, she depend on it, eh? A 'cos a that's what a the pop, she's alla about, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Dino's goddamn right about the "looks good." Kelly Clarkson can be my Miss Independent any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:58 pm

i have a quick (threadjack) question that i'm hoping someone can answer:
on the first episode of Dancing with the Stars this year, none other than David fucking Carradine was in the audience. he was sitting back there, plain as day, i swear!
and i have no idea why... MasterWhedon, i bow to your knowledge of all things hollywierd, cna you explain this?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Yes...it is true Dino. I have ashamed myself in front of my peers. I will now play Dino Kong for sixteen hours straight until I learn to respect Ms. Clarkson and her amazing ability to say the word Yeah.

Laugh a while a you can, a monkey boy... you gotta to remember, the show, she was originally called a the "Pop Idol" inna Britain, no? Anna you gotta to take a the show for what it is, eh? It's a not called a the "Find a the Next Bob Dylan, eh?" It's a the Pop Idol...

That means a you gotta to find a someone who looks a good onna the TV anna can a captivate a the audience anna be able to belt out a the "YEAH YEAH!" like a the life, she depend on it, eh? A 'cos a that's what a the pop, she's alla about, no?

Point taken Dino. I'm thinking you read sarcasm in that comment, which shocks me muchly!

Well not really seeing as how I was being sarcastic.

Anyway come to think of it I think I did watch the first series of American Idol (your freaky under-the-floorboards contestants are nowhere near as freaky as ours...sheriffs singing Bob Marley? pfft! We've had braindead butchers on trying to get their way around Britney Spears covers). I just can't watch after they filter out the first rounds. Who wants to listen to some studly dude called Clay when you can hear Bill from Maines doing his own little interpretation of Gloria Gaynes' I Will Survive?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Iffa you look back onna the seasons... number 3, she was a the biggest letdown, no? They just dinna have a the talent anna we left with a Fantasia who basically sang like a the cartoon character, no?

The other 3 seasons though, they had a some a good talent, especially when it come a down to a the Final Two.

But still, that Kelly Clarkson... iffa you look back onna the shows, there was a not a ONE mis-step for her, no? Remember back inna the first a season when a they just a throw alla the genres at a the contestants? There was a not a the single genre she dinna conquer with a those pipes, eh?

In alla the other seasons... alla the contestants have a had at least a one mis-step or off-week, no?

But Kelly, she was a the real deal, eh? When a you compare to a the lip-syncing anna over processing of a the Britney anna Ashley anna such.... that's a why she won a the contest... she got a the voice.

I remember during one of Kelly's performances (which was fantastic as usual) where she didn't miss a single note... But when she stepped up to the judges, she couldn't even speak because her voice was just shot... She had lost her voice prior to singing but she still managed to sing the song perfectly... That's how you can tell she was born to be a star..... I also loved her because she was really humble and down to earth... She seemed like she would be really fun to hang out with...That was actually the only season that I picked up the phone and voted after every episode...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:06 pm

so sorry wrote:i have a quick (threadjack) question that i'm hoping someone can answer:
on the first episode of Dancing with the Stars this year, none other than David fucking Carradine was in the audience. he was sitting back there, plain as day, i swear!
and i have no idea why... MasterWhedon, i bow to your knowledge of all things hollywierd, cna you explain this?

Umm, because he was trying to ape Tarantino's fuck awful appearance on American Idol? Zero clue.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:08 pm

athenabodicea wrote:That was actually the only season that I picked up the phone and voted after every episode...

Athena, you VOTE?! God, what are you, like, thirteen?!! :roll:

:D
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby cap on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:13 pm

I guess I am the only one who doesn't watch this show. I think it is exactly what is wrong with the music industry. They would rather see an "artist" in a glorified popularity contest than a musician. Oh well.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:That was actually the only season that I picked up the phone and voted after every episode...

Athena, you VOTE?! God, what are you, like, thirteen?!! :roll:

:D

I only voted for Kelly (not Bush).....
From the sound of it I would take a shot in the dark and guess that you have the Idol number on your speed dial :D

13??? C'mon.... :( :oops:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 pm

athenabodicea wrote:From the sound of it I would take a shot in the dark and guess that you have the Idol number on your speed dial :D

:shock:

:oops:

:(

:cry:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby brainiac on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm

so sorry wrote:i have a quick (threadjack) question that i'm hoping someone can answer:

Here is a funny article in TVGasm -- it mentions Carradine about a third of the way down w/ pic.
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/dancing_with_the_stars/001567.php

I love this writer...now I wanna look up his/her take on Am. Idol and the Batchelor (which was scary funny last night).
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:47 pm

I think the reason a lot of them don't succeed after the fact is because the team of producers and writers they assemble around them don't play to their strengths, and, for the most part, these singers don't care enough to say anything about it. I mean Bo frickin' Bice has a song on his CD called "U R 2 Cute" or some other such fun with numbers bullplop. He's a southern rock dude, and he should have made a southern rock album.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:51 pm

I like the idea of AI, it gives people with no ties to the industry a shot at a musical career. Even if they fail, they can see they tried once. Unless the contestants are really good, I tend to stop watching about halfway through, though. I like watching them weed out the people who are convinced they've got "it" when they clearly don't.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby El Scorcho on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:22 pm

No. You are not alone. In fact, no one knows this, but I sit in my dorm room and watch every episode, at least until there are only 10 or 12 people left. Then it tends to bore me. But the first month or so is pure crack (or what I imagine crack to be like).
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:08 am

cap wrote:I guess I am the only one who doesn't watch this show. I think it is exactly what is wrong with the music industry. They would rather see an "artist" in a glorified popularity contest than a musician. Oh well.

You know who else donna watch a the show? This a putz:

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Carolian on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:15 am

STONE HIM!
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby You Know My Name on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 am

I think the show sucks.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:11 pm

That young girl whose mom is the voice coach, the bald rocker dude and the guy with gray hair are my early favorites.

That little elf-like cowboy kid makes my girlfriend cry every time he comes on screen.

And am I the only one getting sick of those two twins, the cocky as shit ones who are currently in jail?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:And am I the only one getting sick of those two twins, the cocky as shit ones who are currently in jail?

Zuh?

Also, it behooves me to present this video for anyone who did not or does not watch "American Idol":

I give you... the screamo audition!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Ribbons wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:And am I the only one getting sick of those two twins, the cocky as shit ones who are currently in jail?

Zuh?

Story is HERE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Zuh?

Also, it behooves me to present this video for anyone who did not or does not watch "American Idol":

I give you... the screamo audition!

god.... I hate most pop music, but I hate that kid, his attitude, his audition, and his poor excuse of music even more. But I love this show - my biggest guilty pleasure on tv.

-Paris is my early favorite (grandmother... or was it mother?...was in Sounds of Blackness). Very cool voice, and seems really humble in nature despite her musical lineage.

-The grey-haired dude gets props. I dig his Joe Cocker thing he has going. He gets a DeNiro look sometimes when he sings, and that makes me laugh.

-The Senator's daughter that is going to Boston College on a basketball scholarship? Her spoon is silver enough.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:51 pm

Fievel wrote:-Paris is my early favorite (grandmother... or was it mother?...was in Sounds of Blackness). Very cool voice, and seems really humble in nature despite her musical lineage.

I forgot about her. She's definitely gonna go far.

A guy needs to win this year. I want a rocker.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:42 pm

Am I the only one who thought last night sucked balls? Just about everyone had an off night.

I say the annoying-as-fuck girl that poses all the time is going, with either the old cowboy black girl or the deer-in-the-headlights blondie.

And Paula Abdul makes me want to throw things at the screen. She just doesn't know how to put coherent thoughts together! If she's not heavily medicated for something, she's just plain dumb. Or both.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:45 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Am I the only one who thought last night sucked balls? Just about everyone had an off night.

I say the annoying-as-fuck girl that poses all the time is going, with either the old cowboy black girl or the deer-in-the-headlights blondie.

And Paula Abdul makes me want to throw things at the screen. She just doesn't know how to put coherent thoughts together! If she's not heavily medicated for something, she's just plain dumb. Or both.

i think paula is either drunk and/or stoned every episode - at least this season - she seems completely and utterly out of it... i hope a dude (rocker) wins this year too - Bo Bice should've won last year - last night was pretty meh - the 2 younglins (paris and lisa) are arguably the best - but they also seem to be trying too hard to be mature/classy women... tonight should be good though...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:46 pm

Last night did suck balls. Brenna Gethers just isn't bringing it! And Paris, goddamnit, that was a sweet ass rendition of Bette Midler's HERO, but the problem was that it was a sweet ass rendition of *Bette Midler's HERO*!! Give me Gladys Knight any night.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

As much as I think Paris and Lisa are cute, I'm just no blown away by their voices. They're good, don't get me wrong--and Paris had really great energy last week--but I just haven't been wowed yet.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:09 pm

I love this show!!! Ive been watching it since the first show of the season.

I thought Paris was really good (talk about a cutie!!) although none of them really blew me away last night. Pickles is cute as hell too but I thought her singing was pretty average.

I did like Madisa's performance probably the most out of them all. I'm getting sick of all the ballads though. I want to hear some upbeat tunes!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:22 pm

The Dino, he misses a the "theme" nights, eh? Alla these putzes playing it safe with a the ballads, no? I kind of a like it a when a they gotta stretch a their talents a bit anna sing a the songs out of a the genre comfort zone, no? That's a when a you can a separate a the putzes with a the real talent from a the putzes that can a do a the good rendition of a one or a two songs, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:28 pm

I agree, Dino. I think the theme nights return once they get down to 12. Which, by the way, I really can't wait for, becuase this drawing it all out to 90 minutes or 2 hours bullshit is for the birds.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:this drawing it all out to 90 minutes or 2 hours bullshit is for the birds.

Hehehe... about a 26 million birds, give or a take a the few, no?

Ka-ching!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:32 pm

I was WOWED by Paris last week. And damn straight, Dino, they're gonna play it safe if they're allowed to. Fuckers. If any of them GOT what the judges were saying they'd know that playing it safe is a dangerous game.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Next

Return to Coaxial