American Idol

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Fawst on Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 am

Oh man, you guys are on crack. That was not only the best American Idol finale, that was probably the best episode of the show they've ever done.

It proved a major point about this season: the talent wasn't the problem, the producers were. Every single song they did last night sounded amazing, if not brilliant.

Syesha + Seal? Awesome
Carly Smithson + Michael Johns? Fucking fantastic
Dave + Dave? Great duet
Brooke and Nash? Perfect combo
Cook and ZZ Top?! YES!

George Michael was one of those lightning-in-a-bottle moments in time. The man had a cold. No one has seen him since his last round of controversies. And then he comes out to sing a song that not only isn't my cup of tea, it could have been a complete 100% downer. Instead, it was just beautiful. And again, THE MAN HAD A COLD.

We got to see 98% of Carrie's legs 98% of her performance. We got to see 100% of her legs and 50% of her fantastically sexy black thong panties for the other 2%. That, and she sounded great.

The dude who sang I Am Your Brother KEPT SINGING AND HAD TO BE CUT OFF! That is pure fucking gold!

The cast of Tropic Thunder! HIS PANTS WERE OFF! LAWLZ!!!

The Cook/Archie Guitar Hero commercials... brilliant.

What were the low spots of the night?

The Love Guru. Funny, but went on a little too long. Seacrest almost going off the stage on the motorized pillow was a riot, and that made up for it.

The other low point was the Jonas Brothers. No one gives a fuck, not even their mother.

To bring this full circle and make my original point, I blame the producers for this season being so weak.

Beatles x 2
Dolly Parton
Neil Diamond
Andrew LLoyd Webber
Rock & Roll Hall of Shame

Come the fuck on. The songs they chose for everyone to sing last night are the songs that should have been sung all season long. They all proved (with the exceptions of Amanda, Ramielle and to an extent, Hernandez) that they had huge talent. Chick-EZ needs an album deal, please.

Anyways, enough about the show, but I thought it was incredible. My DAD even liked it, and he doesn't watch the show at ALL. I can think of at least a few performances I'll have to get off of iTunes from last night. Yikes.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 22, 2008 10:19 am

RogueScribner wrote:Yeah, I heard some people on the radio talking about it this morning. Apparently the show ran a little over so the show got cut off if you didn't have it set to record an extra 5 minutes or whatever.

this has happened before though, i can't remember which season though. but by now, everyone should know the show is live and runs over sometime. i always have mine set to record an extra 5 minutes at the end. it still cut off a few seconds of cook's final song, but whatever. there's really no excuse for not padding the recording time, not only has it happened before, but you'd never record another live event like the super bowl or the academy awards without adding some extra time to the end.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 am

ok, now i am going to put on my conspiracy theory hat. i didn't know about dial idol so i figured the davids were about even in voting, especially since cook apparently only had a million or so votes more than syesha and archuleta a couple weeks ago, but had 12 million more last night. after the performance show i thought archuleta would definitely win, but a couple things made me suspect cook might be the actual winners: when seacrest announced at the top of the show the winner won by 56-44 percent -- i don't think they've ever announced someone who won by such a huge margin, right at the beginning of the show, and since everyone thought archuleta was the winner, it made cook's win that more surprising, which the producers always like to do. 2nd, simon's mea culpa and apologizing to cook before the winner was announced made me think he knew something.

anyway, i think it's obvious the producers WANTED cook to win. he's definitely more commercial, and will be more successful. also, he gives the show it's first "rocker" idol, and since the show likes to keep it's demographics as diverse as possible, that helps them, especially after daughtry was favored and lost. simon even went on leno the night before and said he wanted cook to win, which i don't remember him ever saying who he wanted to win in the finale before so blatantly. finally, nobody in their right mind wants to deal with archuleta's father. they were probably dreading the idea of him winning.

anyway, they made their usual big deal out of how they got 90something million votes, and how that smashed their previous record by 20 million votes or something. of course, the fact they had FOUR HOURS of voting, twice as long as usual, is the real reason for that.

my ludicrous conspiracy theory which has no basis in truth is this: the producers expanded the voting to four hours, not just to inflate their voting totals and break records, but to help cook win. the only people voting for archuleta are all those little tweener girls who scream for him. but the show ends at 10pm ET, so the voting ended at 2am ET, well after most of their bedtimes. they probably only voted for a couple hours before their parents made them hit the sack, while cook's older voters could stay up and keep voting. and the producers knew that would happen, so they expanded the voting to hurt archuleta.

of course, if cook's been ahead on dial idol all this time, it makes my theory irrelevant. but since i don't have any good new crazy BSG or Lost theories, i have to come up with something equally silly for this show.

how many of those annoying little screaming girls do you think cried themselves to sleep last night? i hope a lot of them.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Thu May 22, 2008 11:27 am

Simon also announced on Tuesday morning on Ellen that he thought Cook would win.

Whatever, if the fix was in, I don't much care. After all, we've been given rigged results in the past for much bigger issues (I'm looking at YOU, 2000 United States Presidential Election!)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu May 22, 2008 12:11 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:12 . Chikezie
11. Kristy Lee Cook
10. Syesha Mercado
9. David Hernandez
8. Amanda Overmyer
7. Ramiele Malubay
6. Michael Johns
5. David Cook
4. Brooke White
3. Jason Castro
2. Carly Smithson
1. David Archuleta

Well, my picks were aaaaaall over the place this season, but I take a good deal of pride in picking the Idol winner TWO YEARS IN AN F-ING ROW!!

...because, much as I love him and as much as he's so much more deserving, David Cook ain't gonna win it. Sure, his single (the theme song for an Amanda Bynes movie if ever there was one) was pretty crappy, but at least he was able to turn it into something listenable instead of another icky, forgettable ballad. Archuletta played it safe and secure, right down the middle, and I gotta say I don't think I could be less impressed by him.

A decent season overall with some fun new twists on the formula, but Archuletta's win will highlight how this show is slipping into cultural irrelevance. Sure, it's still a cultural behemoth but the Idol crown means next to nothing. Two legitimate Idols after seven seasons? Something's rotten in Denmark...

I saw the Yahoo! story that said Cook won and then the first post here I read is yours.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

;) ;) ;)

:oops:

I know! I know! But I've never been happier to eat crow!! :D

Like most, I was so, so, SO shocked that Cook won, but holy hell, was that ever a nice surprise!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Jimmy Kimmel's comment about Sanjaya being his valet was hilarious. The Jonas Brothers all look like light-skinned versions of him.

Does Constantine Maroulis ever leave that frakking show!?!?

Hasselhoff not there crying was a low point.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm

for all my fellow archuhaters out there... here's some video to feed our schadenfreude, the disappointment of all those archulovers gasping (hey, just like their idol!) in shock when he loses.

bwahahahahaha indeed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu May 22, 2008 12:48 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 pm

I loved Carrie Underwood's performance.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu May 22, 2008 1:04 pm

All it took was one single syllable from Seacrest to take Archuleta from hero to zero.

My guess is that he will have a career much like Fabian's.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Thu May 22, 2008 3:24 pm

minstrel wrote:All it took was one single syllable from Seacrest to take Archuleta from hero to zero.

Or Fabio's?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Fievel wrote:
minstrel wrote:All it took was one single syllable from Seacrest to take Archuleta from hero to zero.

Or Fabio's?

maybe one of Fabio's breasts.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Zarles on Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:for all my fellow archuhaters out there... here's some video to feed our schadenfreude, the disappointment of all those archulovers gasping (hey, just like their idol!) in shock when he loses.

bwahahahahaha indeed.

Brilliant. I love the fact that there's only two guys in the whole place. :lol:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm

TheBaxter wrote:for all my fellow archuhaters out there... here's some video to feed our schadenfreude, the disappointment of all those archulovers gasping (hey, just like their idol!) in shock when he loses.

bwahahahahaha indeed.

HI-LARIOUS!

Why would they gather like that anyway? Did David Cook have a similar crowd of fans? It just seems weird to fill a stadium of people to watch TV. Heh.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 11:47 pm

Maybe his home town? I have no idea but that seems the most logical...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 27, 2008 4:06 pm

SANJAYA LIVES!!!!

IMDb wrote:Sanjaya Returns
Demonstrating yet again that there is life after losing on American Idol, Nationwide Insurance announced today (Tuesday) that it had hired 2007 contestant Sanjaya Malakar to star in its series of TV ads titled "Life Comes at You Fast." The ads will target the South Asian market, where Malakar received considerable press attention as an Indian-American contestant on the talent show. Although judge Simon Cowell relentlessly battered his performances, once calling them "horrendous," the good-looking teenager seemed to defy the odds, returning week after week with a new hair style. In the Nationwide commercial, Sanjaya visits a Hindu monastery as is advised by a guru that he needs a retirement plan -- and some work on his hair.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Tue May 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Woohoo!

I knew Sanjaya would rise from the ashes someday! He will have a showbiz career yet!
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm

holy crap! this video from nikki mckibbin (season 1) is freakin' HILARIOUS!!!!

i hope it was meant as a joke... 'cos if not, that opening narration is just funny as hell. did they learn NOTHING from spinal tap's stonehenge?

"be afraid... be very afraid"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Two words: Shit sandwich.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: American Idol

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:27 am

American Idol Adds Fourth Judge

Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi has joined "American Idol" as a fourth judge. She will sit alongside Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson at the judges' table and use her background as an award-winning songwriter and producer to praise or critique the wannabe hopefuls throughout the competition. The eighth season of "American Idol" premieres January, 2009, on Fox.

Interesting... :?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:11 pm

i don't think i can watch another season of this crap. i can't even remember any of the contestants from last season.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Fievel wrote:American Idol Adds Fourth Judge

Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi has joined "American Idol" as a fourth judge. She will sit alongside Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson at the judges' table and use her background as an award-winning songwriter and producer to praise or critique the wannabe hopefuls throughout the competition. The eighth season of "American Idol" premieres January, 2009, on Fox.

Hmmmm, perhaps the writing is on the wall for Ms Abdul.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 pm

so sorry wrote:

Or the fourth judge could be the jumping of the shark for the show.
...but then, ratings are still ridiculous for the show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm

If you'd all stop watching this shit then it wouldn't get made now, would it, but because you all watch it because 'It's a bit of a laugh' or, 'it's mildly entertaining', the marketing machine goes on.

It's exactly the same as Big Brother and all those other pieces of shit shows which have mutliple spins off which are nothing but a waste of time.

TheBaxter wrote:holy crap! this video from nikki mckibbin (season 1) is freakin' HILARIOUS!!!!

...and WTF is that!

Evanessence making a comeback crossed with Lourdi?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm

so sorry wrote:

if they were gonna replace a judge, it should've been randy jackson. what a completely useless tool. if you took away the words "hot" "dawg" and "pitchy" he'd have nothing to say. the sad thing is, he's the only judge who actually has any musical ability. unfortunately he also happens to be functionally illiterate.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:21 pm

in other news I know of at least two people going to the "hollywood round" of this next season, I'll keep on my source about how the show works and all as it gets closer to air.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am

i was just randomly logging in to myspace this morning, and they had some trailer playing at the top of the page for a movie called "College"
looks like some random typicaly dumb teenager movie, except... i thought i spotted someone familiar in the cast.

so i went to the film's IMDb page and sure enough... one of the films stars is none other than...

KEVIN COVAIS

that's right... chicken little is a movie star!

wait, does anyone besides me even remember him?

if not, then check out this and bask in the awesomeness of chicken little.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah, I saw that trailer about a month ago.
My thought was "Shitty-looking movie, but good for you Chicken Little! Good for you."
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:28 am

King Psyz wrote:in other news I know of at least two people going to the "hollywood round" of this next season, I'll keep on my source about how the show works and all as it gets closer to air.

You and the missus can sing?

Who knew...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 pm

the most shocking thing about this story is that it took so long to happen.
considering the number of messed up, mentally unstable people who try out for the show, and then adding the nationwide public ridicule they are exposed to, it's a wonder this hasn't happened a hundred times already.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm

so sorry wrote:
King Psyz wrote:in other news I know of at least two people going to the "hollywood round" of this next season, I'll keep on my source about how the show works and all as it gets closer to air.

Who knew...

one of our trainers here had both daughters make it through the initial stage of auditions but for the second set with producers before meeting the judges they had already picked the ones that would move forward and only wanted freakshows by that point.

So if you know anyone that wants to subject themselves, one it's over for this year... it was over about 6 months ago. Second the thing you see on TV is nothing close to reality. In actuality there's 2 auditions before they ever get a shot to audition for the judges, and if you're too good they'll pass.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 pm

King Psyz wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Who knew...

one of our trainers here had both daughters make it through the initial stage of auditions but for the second set with producers before meeting the judges they had already picked the ones that would move forward and only wanted freakshows by that point.

So if you know anyone that wants to subject themselves, one it's over for this year... it was over about 6 months ago. Second the thing you see on TV is nothing close to reality. In actuality there's 2 auditions before they ever get a shot to audition for the judges, and if you're too good they'll pass.

Yep. Same thing happened to my old boss's daughter on Canadian Idol. Only a select few make it through to the TV judges. They suggested this was the case last season when they made a contestant feel better about not getting a gold ticket by congratulating her on "getting this far." This was a bit disingenuous since, like you say, you get put through if you have freak-show potential.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 pm

....and so it returns tonight.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Fievel wrote:....and so it returns tonight.

Thanks for the reminder! Time to get obsessed all over again over music I don't particularly like ...

minstrel

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:38 pm

minstrel wrote:
Fievel wrote:....and so it returns tonight.

Thanks for the reminder! Time to get obsessed all over again over music I don't particularly like ...

Ain't that the truth!!!!!
This show is like crack. Really bad crack.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm

i wish i knew how to quit you
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I heart the new judge.
Not only did she call bikini girl "Bitch", but she might be the first judge to have sang on the show.
She's like Simon, only with a vagina.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Fievel wrote:I heart the new judge.
Not only did she call bikini girl "Bitch", but she might be the first judge to have sang on the show.
She's like Simon, only with a vagina.

I liked her to. I wouldn't go so far as to say she's a female-Simon... we haven't seen enough of her yet.

But she's a great replacement for Paula when she decides to, er, um, 'retire'
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 pm

i like her too. it helps that she's pretty hot. she could be annoying if she keeps singing back at the contestants though.

on the other hand, i didn't like any of the contestants. except for that tattooed chick who looked like drew barrymore, but that's just cos i have a weakness for tattooed chicks who look like drew barrymore. i liked the girl in the bikini much more with the tv muted. everyone else was bland and boring or just another version of a freak we've seen in previous years.

why am i watching this again? zod i hate myself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 am

So I'm watching last night and they show in their "Coming Up Next..." clips some guy talking about a tragedy.
I figured whatever happened, physically happened to him. He kept saying something like "the pain is too deep in my heart" or something.
I actually yelled at the TV during one preview and called him a drama king.
And then Daniel Gokey told the story of how his wife died 4 weeks prior to the taping.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Holy shit.
Major lump in the throat... my wife started bawling.
And then the dude sang.
His voice.... was like buttah.

There were a lot of people that seem worth rooting for this episode.
I was particularly fond of the band director, the girl whose family's apt. was wrecked by a tornado, etc. etc. etc.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:52 pm

I think the worst of last night was that bizarre woman who tried the Minnie Riperton song. It takes a huge vocal range to sing that song, and the confidence to hit that astronomically high note perfectly, and she didn't have it. I mean, she had the range (sort of), but she was so all over the place pitchwise that she sounded almost like she was singing random notes. Listen, whatever-your-name-is, you have to hit the RIGHT high note, not just ANY high note.

Ear-piercing and excruciating.

I liked the tornado mom and the band director. There were lots of good male singers, but (unusually for this show) not a lot of good female singers. It'll be interesting to see how it settles out in Hollywood.
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Speaking of the Hollywood week... imagine this scenario: you're an aspiring singer, you take stupid singing lessons, stand in a retardedly long line, audition in front of some peons, get picked to audition in front of the real judges and you get selected to go to Hollywood. Then they split you into 3-4 people groups where you have to sing and dance, and you find out one of your partners is BLIND! How the fuck is that blind guy supposed to handle that routine? How would you feel if your performance was affected by a guy facing the wrong way! Should be fun to watch...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 pm

so sorry wrote:Speaking of the Hollywood week... imagine this scenario: you're an aspiring singer, you take stupid singing lessons, stand in a retardedly long line, audition in front of some peons, get picked to audition in front of the real judges and you get selected to go to Hollywood. Then they split you into 3-4 people groups where you have to sing and dance, and you find out one of your partners is BLIND! How the fuck is that blind guy supposed to handle that routine? How would you feel if your performance was affected by a guy facing the wrong way! Should be fun to watch...

I assume nobody's stupid or cruel enough to kick a blind guy off a singing show because he can't dance. They'll accommodate him somehow.
minstrel

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:14 pm

minstrel wrote:
so sorry wrote:Speaking of the Hollywood week... imagine this scenario: you're an aspiring singer, you take stupid singing lessons, stand in a retardedly long line, audition in front of some peons, get picked to audition in front of the real judges and you get selected to go to Hollywood. Then they split you into 3-4 people groups where you have to sing and dance, and you find out one of your partners is BLIND! How the fuck is that blind guy supposed to handle that routine? How would you feel if your performance was affected by a guy facing the wrong way! Should be fun to watch...

I assume nobody's stupid or cruel enough to kick a blind guy off a singing show because he can't dance. They'll accommodate him somehow.

Yeah...but he'll totally own Stevie Wonder night if he makes it that far...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm

maybe they should do like ryan seacrest did and try to give him a high-five
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Fievel wrote:So I'm watching last night and they show in their "Coming Up Next..." clips some guy talking about a tragedy.
I figured whatever happened, physically happened to him. He kept saying something like "the pain is too deep in my heart" or something.
I actually yelled at the TV during one preview and called him a drama king.
And then Daniel Gokey told the story of how his wife died 4 weeks prior to the taping.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Holy shit.
Major lump in the throat... my wife started bawling.
And then the dude sang.
His voice.... was like buttah.

There were a lot of people that seem worth rooting for this episode.
I was particularly fond of the band director, the girl whose family's apt. was wrecked by a tornado, etc. etc. etc.

i actually thought that guy was the best singer on the show, dead wife or no dead wife
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i actually thought that guy was the best singer on the show, dead wife or no dead wife

The minimum they accept is somebody who's been sexually abused. Every single person has some tragedy.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 pm

I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force.....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:12 pm

and you all thought 1/20/2009 would be known through history as the day a black man became president of the USA

no

it will be remembered forever as the day Sanjaya released his first record.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial