American Idol

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: American Idol

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 am

I have a feeling after Simon's plea for people to vote for Adam because nothing is a sure thing, that all the Adam supporters voted for him (probably multiple times) . . . and also voted for Chris. Because Adam vs Chris is no contest while Adam vs Danny risks a lot. So the Gokey supporters voted for Gokey, the Chris supporters voted for Chris, and the Adam supporters voted for Adam AND Chris, thus our final two of Adam and Chris.

Sorry Gokey!!!

I'm really not. :twisted:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Fri May 15, 2009 12:16 am

FINALLY Danny gave us some Joe Cocker! From the first time he showed up, I heard a tasted of the old Joe Cocker growl in his voice, and I was sure he was going to do Joe Cocker before he left. But then, it was "You Are So Beautiful". Maybe Joe's biggest hit, but definitely not his best performance. I think Danny should have done "The Letter", or anything else on Joe's greatest hits. Something a bit uptempo. He missed a bet, and screwed himself.

Adam is almost unstoppable, with that amazing range and technical skill. Kris is there because, let's face it, he has a beautiful voice and everything he sings sounds good, even if he doesn't have great technique. Also, he's better looking than Adam, so all the teenage girls who kept Sanjaya in the competition for so long will vote for Kris.

It'll be interesting next week.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 pm

so last week they made adam sing a song about aids. this week they made him sing a big-time civil rights song. either a) they're trying to sabotage him by reminding everyone he's Dumbledore, or b) they're trying to make a big pro-gay rights statement, or c) uh, both?

i think i can honestly say... i don't care who wins this show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 20, 2009 12:10 pm

So last night was fun. I agree with Simon that Kris won round 1. But I think Adam ran away with the next two rounds. It doesn't really matter who wins. They'll both probably end up with recording contracts anyway. Most certainly Adam will, regardless of the results of the vote. Hopefully Gokey will be relegated to CMT or some shit and quickly fade into obscurity.

Man, Alexis was in the audience last night! That just reminded me that I originally predicted she'd make the final 3. :( And she didn't even make the AI tour. What a frickin' sausage fest!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm

i dont think either one won the last round. they both had to sing that shitty kara dioguardi song, so they both ended up losers.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 pm

Such a great finale. So many great moments. Fergie is fucking HOT. And she's actually good live!

Who else could have been paired up with Adam? Brilliant planning on that one.

Happy with the result. It works.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 am

it's probably for the best for both of them. if kris had lost, he would have faded into obscurity. this way, he has a year or so of playing concerts and being on the radio, before he fades into obscurity. and as for adam, he's probably just relieved he doesn't have to start off his career with that horrible kara dioguardi song for a single. i'm pretty sure he was breathing a big sigh of relief on that one when seacrest read kris' name instead of his. that song is a fucking career killer if i've ever heard one. and now he can be as Dumbledore as he wants to be without worrying about this dumb show anymore.

btw, i'm pretty sure what put kris over the top was all the homophobic ultra-christian gokey fans who weren't going to vote for a guy who loved other dudes "the wrong way" no matter what.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 am

Don't taint my victory with cries of homophobia... Maddam Lamber lost because tonight because those who think he's fantastic were outnumbered
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 am

Well I'm shocked.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 am

King Psyz wrote:Don't taint my victory with cries of homophobia... Maddam Lamber lost because tonight because those who think he's fantastic were outnumbered

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!........

......you said "taint."

Last night reminded me of what could have been with Alexis on the show for several more weeks.
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 21, 2009 7:22 pm

I don't know.

I think there was less voting FOR Kris than AGAINST Adam. IMHO.

I'm pretty sure most of the Gokey-fenokees threw their votes Kris' way.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am

RogueScribner wrote:I don't know.

i agree with this. i think a lot of gokesters who otherwise wouldn't have voted at all, voted for kris to make sure adam didn't win.
they might not be able to stop g@y marriage, but they can at least stop g@y @meric@n id01s.

btw, i love how PC all the news sites and bloggers and stuff are being. they keep saying 'america isn't ready to vote for someone so flamboyant/theatrical/glam/guyliner-wearing/etc.'.... they won't just come out and say what you know they're really thinking... 'america isn't ready to vote for someone so g@y'... but that's what they really mean.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri May 22, 2009 10:07 am

FYI, for those reality TV lovers out there who need something to watch now that Idol/Survivor/amazing race/Dancing with the Stars are on hiatus, I encourage you to watch So You Think You Can Dance.

Seriously. Once the field of contestants gets culled down to the top 20, the dancing is really beautiful, artistic, and sometime moving. These kids have some serious talent, and there isn't any hokey shit (i.e. forced Ford commercials or "worst-singer" awards, etc).

And the girls are fucking hot, with rediculous rock-hard bodies.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 22, 2009 10:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:

i agree with this. i think a lot of gokesters who otherwise wouldn't have voted at all, voted for kris to make sure adam didn't win.
they might not be able to stop g@y marriage, but they can at least stop g@y @meric@n id01s.

btw, i love how PC all the news sites and bloggers and stuff are being. they keep saying 'america isn't ready to vote for someone so flamboyant/theatrical/glam/guyliner-wearing/etc.'.... they won't just come out and say what you know they're really thinking... 'america isn't ready to vote for someone so g@y'... but that's what they really mean.

If that was the case Adam would never had made it to the final...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm

King Psyz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

If that was the case Adam would never had made it to the final...

actually, if this were true, it would explain why kris made the finals instead of gokey. all the dumb gokey fans were too busy voting for kris and forgot to vote for gokey.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri May 22, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm happy about how it turned out. Adam is amazingly talented and has an incredible range, but if I went to a concert of his I think I'd be leaving after only twenty minutes or so, bleeding from my ears. Kris has an excellent voice and he sounds good without even trying hard, so I think he's a lot more listenable.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 23, 2009 12:44 am

This is going to sound weird, but I can't listen to Adam because he's too showy. I tend to prefer gruffer male vocalists, anyway, but Adam's showmanship is way too lounge-act. He's like Andy Hallett, who played the lounge-act demon on Angel, but less campy. With a bit of Jay, from Jay and the Americans, on the side with those extended notes he holds.

What's bizarre, to me, is how seriously some people take the program. If people have favorites, that's cool. It's the nature of the beast. But a woman I know who's an Adam fan was upset, clearly more than a little, when I jokingly called him "Mister Drama." "Please, don't call him that," she replied.

AI is the modern equivalent of amateur hour, albeit the highest-budgeted amateur hour of all time. It's about second-level talents who will almost surely never be more than second-level talents. The top contenders will come and go, with record contracts and a hit single or two each. They're all Julius LaRosa, in the end.

Pardon the mild rant. Just feeling a bit grumpy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 am

I AGREE WITH DENNIS!
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Sat May 23, 2009 1:11 am

i couldn't make myself care who won, because i didn't like any of the singers this year. at least not any who made the top 14 or whatever. as long as that gokey fucker didn't win, that's all i cared about.
but i think in the back of my mind, i was secretly hoping adam would win, because he would've been a marketing nightmare for them. kris is so-so, but he's commercial and sounds like stuff on the radio. if he can write a decent song, he's got a chance at a mildly successful career. but adam only sings good (and i use that term loosely) on stuff that hasn't been in fashion for years: glam rock, 80s hair metal, etc. i would've loved to see the AI machine try to sell that to a modern market. it would've been a disaster. oh well.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Sat May 23, 2009 1:21 am

I don't know why everyone is so down on Danny Gokey. He's a good singer, and has a touch of that Joe Cocker growl that can make his performances special. Too bad he's ugly! (Sorry - that was unworthy ...)

Adam lost because he's too much of a freak show. He doesn't appeal to middle America. Middle America wants someone boring, and it doesn't get much more boring than Kris Allen. I mean, I like Kris, but he's boring. He sings well, but he's never going to embarrass some Republican who has his album in his collection.

Here's advice to anyone who wants to compete on American Idol: Make sure you appeal to your boss's mom. If you can do that, you'll probably win.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Sat May 23, 2009 2:18 am

minstrel wrote:I don't know why everyone is so down on Danny Gokey. He's a good singer, and has a touch of that Joe Cocker growl that can make his performances special. Too bad he's ugly! (Sorry - that was unworthy ...)

He looks like JJ Abrams.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Sat May 23, 2009 10:37 am

Fievel wrote:
minstrel wrote:I don't know why everyone is so down on Danny Gokey. He's a good singer, and has a touch of that Joe Cocker growl that can make his performances special. Too bad he's ugly! (Sorry - that was unworthy ...)

He looks like JJ Abrams.

but douche-ier.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat May 23, 2009 5:12 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i dont think either one won the last round. they both had to sing that shitty kara dioguardi song, so they both ended up losers.

Kara's song reminded me a lot of the one that Filipino guy with the cape sang last year.

I googled the lyrics for both songs, and they're not especially similar... But they're meaninglessly optimistic in a similar way.

Kara DioGuardi & Co. wrote:Seconds hours so many days
You know what you want but how long can you wait
Every moment last forever if you feel you’ve lost your way
What if your chances are already gone
Started believing that I could be wrong
But you give me one good reason
to fight and never walk away
Coz hear I am — still holding on!
Every step you climb another mountain
Every breathe its harder to believe
You’ll make it through the pain (or through all your aches and pains)
Weather the hurricane
To get to that one thing
When you think the road is going nowhere
Just when you’ve almost gave up on your dreams
Then take it by the hand and show you that you can
You can go higher
You can go deeper
There are no boundaries
Above and beneath you
Break every rule coz there’s nothing between you
and your dreams
Every step you climb another mountain
Every breathe its harder to believe

Renaldo Lapuz wrote:I am your brother
Your best friend forever
Singing the songs
The music that you love
We're brothers til the end of time
Together or not
You’re always in my heart
You hurt your feelings
And you will rain on mine
I love you brother
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Obviously Renaldo is the better writer here
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat May 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Honestly, they're comparable.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Sat May 23, 2009 6:32 pm

King Psyz wrote:Obviously Renaldo is the better writer here

...and the better dresser.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 24, 2009 12:49 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Honestly, they're comparable.

They're both soapy and overblown, but to me Renaldo's is a little better for not dealing in so many clichés. Of course, we saw less of it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 25, 2009 11:41 pm

reynaldo's was catchier. i can still remember the melody a year later.
i doubt i'll be able to remember anything about that shitty kara dioguardi song in a year (thankfully).
just like i can't remember anything about whatever shitty song it was last years winner had to sing
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon May 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 26, 2009 6:55 am

I-GLAM-PILASH!

At first I thought that piece of news was a joke, but it might actually be a cool idea now that I think about it. Plus I love the possibility of Queen becoming popular again, for whatever reason
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby King Psyz on Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

Just because Adam can scream a high note and has a flair for the theatrical does not make him qualified to sing for Queen, shit he should even sing for a Dairy Queen...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Tue May 26, 2009 1:06 pm

King Psyz wrote:Just because Adam can scream a high note and has a flair for the theatrical does not make him qualified to sing for Queen, shit he should even sing for a Dairy Queen...

What if he grew a mustache?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Tue May 26, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm gonna be sick...

Queen was one of the greatest rock bands of all time, lets not sully that name with Maddam Lambert's pressence.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Did you guys read that link? It wasn't Adam Lambert saying he was interested in persuing the lead Queen job, it was Brian May saying he would be interested in Adam Lambert. Doesn't make it any better, but shit, that's the band's leader giving him praise...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Brian May can't let it go, which is kinda sad.

I honestly thought that Kris did better on his sections of We Are The Champions than Maddam did.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm assuming that May is thinking that someone young like Adam would offer more of a fresh creative spark than someone like Paul Rodgers.
Either way, Adam would be a fool for making it a permanent gig if offered (see Chris Daughtry and Fuel).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 26, 2009 5:49 pm

queen is a bit more prestigious than fuel.

but yeah, if you want to start a musical career, you're better off not hooking up with a bunch of 60 year olds. like that guy who won that rock star show and became the singer for inxs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue May 26, 2009 6:46 pm

TheBaxter wrote: like that guy who won that rock star show and became the singer for inxs.

...and then got fired.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 am

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: like that guy who won that rock star show and became the singer for inxs.

...and then got fired.

i thought he quit to "go solo". i always assumed most of the people on that show weren't really interested in being in inxs, just in being on tv and using it as a stepping stone to start their own careers.
but either way, it probably didn't do wonders for his career. (then again, he didn't have a career before that show, so i guess it's a wash)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 27, 2009 11:29 am

AT&T May Have Swayed Idol Outcome to Favor Kris Allen

The New York Times is reporting that American Idol's Kris Allen may have had a little help from AT&T, one of the Fox show's biggest corporate sponsors, in winning this year.

According to the Times, AT&T provided phones for free text-messaging services at two Allen parties in Arkansas on the night of the finals. Citing sources, The Times reports that AT&T reps showed party-goers how to "power text" -- cast 10 votes at the touch of a button -- which violates show rules.

Power texts, according to the Times, "have an exponentially greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the shows toll-free phone lines."

No similar efforts appear to have been made to provide free texting services to Adam Lambert fans.

Angry Lambert supporters are now claiming in online chat boards that the competition's voting was rigged.

While Fox has yet to comment, AT&T issued the following statement: "In Arkansas, we were invited to attend the local watch parties organized by the community. A few local employees brought a small number of demo phones with them and provided texting tutorials to those who were interested."

Scandal! :shock:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Really now, I find this quite unbelivable. But then again the maniacal fans of Maddam Glambert can't see how their god could have possibly lost...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm

i've known idol was fixed ever since sanjaya was booted.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm

not content to lose on one reality show, danny gokey now wants to dance with the stars

one problem: to be on that show, you either have to be a star or a professional dancer. gokey is neither.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:not content to lose on one reality show, danny gokey now wants to dance with the stars

one problem: to be on that show, you either have to be a star or a professional dancer. gokey is neither.

New psychological syndrome: Realityshowphilia. It's the abnormal love of being a contestant on reality shows. After this it's The Amazing Race and then, sadly, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. Then Danny Gokey can go to Branson, Missouri and have a successful career as that guy people barely remember but think they liked back when they were sober.
minstrel

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am

Just what the world needs: more Gokey. :roll:

Adam Lambert responds to some news this past week.

RE: Clay Aiken's negative comments (and then quick apologies) regarding him

"I don't know Clay," Adam told Access Hollywood on Thursday morning after performing on the "Today Show." "I'm glad he's getting headlines now though, because he wasn't before."

RE: the texting controversy

"There are plenty of standards and practices set up where they make sure that there's no, foul play. And I don't think it's a conspiracy," Adam told Access. "I think people are making a big deal out of nothing. A couple of employees handed out a couple of phones and showed people how to use them. I don't think that's a conspiracy of any kind."
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 29, 2009 11:07 am

RE: The Aiken comment, wow dude for someone in not much of a better position than Clay was after his departure from AI you should watch the snark...

RE: The ATT thing, suprisingly adult, and I'm sure he was advised against agreeing with that nonsense.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 29, 2009 6:56 pm

RogueScribner wrote:RE: Clay Aiken's negative comments (and then quick apologies) regarding him

"I don't know Clay," Adam told Access Hollywood on Thursday morning after performing on the "Today Show." "I'm glad he's getting headlines now though, because he wasn't before."

something tells me adam would really like that picture...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 29, 2009 7:50 pm

It seems like Oh Snap now, but Adam is in the same boat that Clay was. Clay was the favorite, and had a following (a scary, deranged following, but still a fan base... kinda like Maddam Glambert.) and faded away into a scary and overweight broadway guy/it.

Adam knows his bus is headed for the same stop as Clay's, he should probablly just let it go.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Well, Clay milked his fan base for everything it was worth and sold nearly 7 millions albums in the process. That's a lot of middle-aged women buying music! Clay "faded into obscurity" because he really wasn't a commercially viable artist. He was a crooner. How many crooners are topping the charts these days? Adam Lambert is far more commercially viable and if he's even half as successful as Clay Aiken he'll be okay. But I bet he'll do a lot better. People know who Adam is. Kris is doomed to get lost in the jumble of the nice guy rockers out there. His star will fade long before Adam's.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 pm

I don't think Adam is comercially viable at all. He's a character, a trainwreck the American public couldn't stop staring at. But 72 minutes of his schtick won't sell.

Doing horribly dated/contrived covers or wailing notes will not be a platnium seller. I can only imagine the sensory rape his original work will be.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial