American Idol

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: American Idol

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 am

I'm watching it.

They're in Hollywood right now. Tonight was my least favorite part of the year (although Country Night comes close) as they did Group Night.

I don't get why they do a group competition on this show. The show isn't about singing in a group, it's not about choreography, it's about individuals shining as singers.
It wasn't even as interesting of a group night as it has been in the past.

Having said that, so far Ellen DeGeneres is a great choice to replace Paula. She's honest, funny, and insightful.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

i'm STILL not watching this stupid show. doesn't sound like i'm missing anything.

however, there are still some idol's whose lives and careers i continue to follow closely...

sanjaya can't drive 55... but he can drive TWICE that speed!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 pm

I haven't been watching the performances live because I have class Tuesday nights. Sometimes I watch them on the DVR and just fast-forward through them.
When the results show is on I just fast-forward all the way to the end to see who was cut.
Last night I got home early and had the show on in the background. There were some decent performances... and by "some" I mean one or two.
I've only posted once this season and vow to keep posting when something interesting happens.... as I have done from the start this season.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm not watching. I saw one episode and was not impressed.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:03 pm

i wonder what their ratings are like this year.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:04 pm

They're a little down, but it's still the top show every week, I think.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:17 pm

So Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are the two new judges to join Randy Jackson this year.

Reactions?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 pm

put this show, and everyone who's still watching it, out of their misery already.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm

TheBaxter wrote:put this show, and everyone who's still watching it, out of their misery already.

Right. And everyone can then focus on the far superior America's Got Talent!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

so sorry wrote:So Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are the two new judges to join Randy Jackson this year.

Reactions?

Randy Jackson, Steve Tyler, and Jennifer Lopez should form a band and tour. The could call themselves The Idol Judges. Or The Idle Judges. Or The Unlistenables. Their first album could be called Why Are We Famous?

Clint Eastwood should be a judge. Or John Malkovich.

But the best judge would be Bob Dylan. I would watch American Idol if Bob Dylan was a judge.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 pm

minstrel wrote:But the best judge would be Bob Dylan. I would watch American Idol if Bob Dylan was a judge.

Bob Dylan & Tom Petty

Reminds me of a hilarious old SNL Weekend Update back when Dennis Miller was hosting... "Bob Dylan" was brought out as a guest commentator, Miller couldn't understand a single thing and uttered something to the effect of "I can't understand a single thing he's saying. I need a Willbury over here!"..... and out came "Tom Petty" (I think played by David Spade.

See, my weak recollection of a 20 year old sketch on SNL is better than American Idol will be. I've been an AI Apologist the past couple of years, but fuck it. It's done. Wake me when Cowell starts his new show - not that it'll be good, but it may at least be a bit entertaining.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 pm

if you haven't been watching american idol (and if you're like the rest of america, then you haven't) then FF to the 2:15 mark and prepare to puke:

i haven't watched a single second of american idol for the past two seasons, but when i heard about this, i had to look. kind of like driving by a multiple-fatality 20-car pileup on the highway.

now, i'm not a big nirvana fan at all. i've come to respect them somewhat more in retrospect now that all they gen-x hype over them has worn down, but i certainly don't consider them to be sacred or anything. and even so, i'm still offended by this. mostly just because of how bad it is. this guy, seriously, he makes that rebecca black friday girl look like pavarotti by comparison. i guess courtney love is in desperate need for some more heroin if she authorized this, eh?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:if you haven't been watching american idol (and if you're like the rest of america, then you haven't) then FF to the 2:15 mark and prepare to puke:

i haven't watched a single second of american idol for the past two seasons, but when i heard about this, i had to look. kind of like driving by a multiple-fatality 20-car pileup on the highway.

now, i'm not a big nirvana fan at all. i've come to respect them somewhat more in retrospect now that all they gen-x hype over them has worn down, but i certainly don't consider them to be sacred or anything. and even so, i'm still offended by this. mostly just because of how bad it is. this guy, seriously, he makes that rebecca black friday girl look like pavarotti by comparison. i guess courtney love is in desperate need for some more heroin if she authorized this, eh?

Bleech. Thank God it was only just over a minute.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah, something about that seems very wrong. I saw the tail-end of an episode a week or two ago and this same guy also butchered "I Put a Spell on You" by the inimitable Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Yet he's the one being pegged to win the whole shebang, so go figure.

I thought I remembered reading a quote from Jimmy Iovine or one of the new producers that contestants wouldn't be allowed to "hide behind their guitars" this season.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 pm

so sorry wrote:Bleech.

No, I think that track was on Nevermind.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, something about that seems very wrong. I saw the tail-end of an episode a week or two ago and this same guy also butchered "I Put a Spell on You" by the inimitable Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Yet he's the one being pegged to win the whole shebang, so go figure.

I thought I remembered reading a quote from Jimmy Iovine or one of the new producers that contestants wouldn't be allowed to "hide behind their guitars" this season.

I've watched it like every other week so far (wife watches every episode). I didn't mean to watch any of it, but the new judges weren't as bad as I figured they'd be. This guy that sang Teen Spirit has seriously had some amazing performances. I didn't see the I Put A Spell On You performance, but what I have seen from him was really good. He has used an upright bass really well. Having said all that, the Nirvana song was a horrid choice and performance. What's funny about Nirvana these days is that the kids today absolutely worship the music/band/Cobain with such enthusiasm that would make the original grunge fans look like casual fans.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, something about that seems very wrong. I saw the tail-end of an episode a week or two ago and this same guy also butchered "I Put a Spell on You" by the inimitable Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Yet he's the one being pegged to win the whole shebang, so go figure.

but he wasn't. he was hiding behind his bass.

if this guy is a frontrunner, then the talent level on this show really has dropped to pathetic levels, even compared to the last time i watched it a couple years ago.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

but he wasn't. he was hiding behind his bass.

if this guy is a frontrunner, then the talent level on this show really has dropped to pathetic levels, even compared to the last time i watched it a couple years ago.

I've only watched bits and pieces of this season. It strikes me that this guy is trying the "not-regular-idol-material" routine. Singing weird (for this show), picking odd choices, acting weird.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

This guy isn't very good, but his performance just lays bare the truth: Nirvana sucked. Kurt Cobain wasn't very talented. The success of that band is almost entirely due to being in the right place at the right time and riding the zeitgeist. Nobody is going to care about their music in twenty years. Or even ten years. Heck, most people have forgotten them already, unless they grew up as Nirvana sycophants.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 pm

minstrel wrote:This guy isn't very good, but his performance just lays bare the truth: Nirvana sucked. Kurt Cobain wasn't very talented. The success of that band is almost entirely due to being in the right place at the right time and riding the zeitgeist. Nobody is going to care about their music in twenty years. Or even ten years. Heck, most people have forgotten them already, unless they grew up as Nirvana sycophants.

Well that's a bold statement sir! And one for another thread than this one... as a matter of fact, I bet there is a "Nirvana: Love em or Hate em?" Thread around here somewhere...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I seem to recall something of the sort but nothing's coming up on search. I think the main thing minstrel doesn't like is the aesthetics, which is fair enough. Cobain was a big power pop fan and basically a music geek at heart; this clearly showed in his songwriting. Liam Gallagher wishes he could write a Beatlesy melody as well as Cobain for his shitty new band.

(Yeah, I have absolutely nothing to say about American Idol).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm

minstrel wrote:This guy isn't very good, but his performance just lays bare the truth: Nirvana sucked. Kurt Cobain wasn't very talented. The success of that band is almost entirely due to being in the right place at the right time and riding the zeitgeist. Nobody is going to care about their music in twenty years. Or even ten years. Heck, most people have forgotten them already, unless they grew up as Nirvana sycophants.

They been popular for 20 years, that's pretty good. And while I'd say the Pixies were the better band Nirvana still have a genuinely superb drummer, heartfelt performances and raw raw emotion not hobbled by emo bullshit but galvanised by coruscating guitar.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby justcheckin on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

so sorry wrote:I've only watched bits and pieces of this season. It strikes me that this guy is trying the "not-regular-idol-material" routine. Singing weird (for this show), picking odd choices, acting weird.

I agree with this. I think he is a zanny weird guy who has a lot of musical talent and he is appealing to people but I don't see him winning. He might get to top 6.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 pm

I guess I am the outsider on this one, because this is the first time I have ever really enjoyed AI...

I love that everyone there right now is so friggin different as opposed to the cardboard pop-prince/ss shit Simon pushed.

Last night was a great example, James doing friggin' Heavy Metal with Zach Wylde? Casey doing jazzy Nat King Cole on upright bass? Like they said last night, this is pretty much exactly what the current pop generation needs, a music education.

If this years contestants gets a handfull of kids to check out a jazz record, or some old metal or 70's rock then they've done more for America than any previous season.

We're actually discussing paying to see the tour, I am digging these kids this year.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby justcheckin on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Me too, this is the first season that I have watched in about 4 years.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Well I think even Baxter has given up on this show by now, but last night's episode was entertaining for one reason alone: Magic Cyclops!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well I think even Baxter has given up on this show by now, but last night's episode was entertaining for one reason alone: Magic Cyclops!

So ALF! So they are hiring actors now to pretend to be contestants?

Nigel Tufnel is rolling over in his grave.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:10 pm

yeah, uh... just because you act and sound like russell brand doesn't mean you get to fuck katy perry. even before i gave up on this show, some of the posers in the auditions got really irritating to watch. after the first couple seasons or so, all the genuinely confused and stupid people were gone and replaced by the ones like this guy who just want to put on a (stupid, unfunny) act to get on TV. it's just like what happened with the jerry springer show and all those other talk shows.

besides, this show jumped the shark when sanjaya got booted off. that's why my new favorite reality TV show is NFL football, because Tim Tebow is the new Sanjaya. everybody hates him and thinks he's terrible and wants him gone, but somehow he keeps winning, and then that pisses people off even more, which is hilarious. i hope when season 2 of American Quarterback begins next fall, tim tebow will show up with a faux-hawk.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:just because you act and sound like russell brand doesn't mean you get to fuck katy perry.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neither does he. :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 pm

so sorry wrote:

Why is he in his grave?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Why is he in his grave?

Lunch with the drummers.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Why is he in his grave?

because this year American Idol goes to eleven...

...seasons, that is.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm

So a girl that goes to the high school (Lakeland High School) whose band program I work with auditions tonight. And here's the kicker - it's already known that she makes it to the Top 24.

While there's that inclination to root for the hometown girl........ no, I don't think so. You see, this isn't one of those raw talents that is just now being discovered. She's one of those wealthy-parent-bred stars-in-training. She was in a band with a bunch of other stars-in-training and it was just..... creepy watching it unfold. She's apparently taking a shitload of vocal lessons right now in the "offseason" with various coaches around the country, trying to get whatever help she can before the live shows begin.

So good luck, but.... no.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Fievel wrote:So a girl that goes to the high school (Lakeland High School) whose band program I work with auditions tonight. And here's the kicker - it's already known that she makes it to the Top 24.

While there's that inclination to root for the hometown girl........ no, I don't think so. You see, this isn't one of those raw talents that is just now being discovered. She's one of those wealthy-parent-bred stars-in-training. She was in a band with a bunch of other stars-in-training and it was just..... creepy watching it unfold. She's apparently taking a shitload of vocal lessons right now in the "offseason" with various coaches around the country, trying to get whatever help she can before the live shows begin.

So good luck, but.... no.

What makes you think she's any different than a million other American Idol contestants? The notion that they are "raw" artists is most likely untrue for most of them.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Our long national nightmare is (almost) over

sounds like they'll be bringing back some of the greats from previous seasons to celebrate the show. can't wait to see what Sanjaya's been up to!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 am

TheBaxter wrote:Our long national nightmare is (almost) over

sounds like they'll be bringing back some of the greats from previous seasons to celebrate the show. can't wait to see what Sanjaya's been up to!

Good grief this show has died a slow painful death.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to Coaxial