Best Made-For-TV Movie?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Best Made-For-TV Movie?

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:01 am

Whaddya reckon folks?

Personally, my vote goes to The Haunted (starring SallyKirkland and Jeffrey DeMunn). Scariest tv movie I've ever come across, although I was pretty young when it traumatised me, couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 at the time.

The scene when DeMunn is raped by a female ghost was the clincher. Completely fucked up - music/lighting/the face changing - everything. I searched high and low for it for years until I found it in a video store in Bondi Beach in Syndey when I went for a backpacking year, and offered the guy any amount of money to sell me the rental video. Only charged me $9 in the end and it still feels like my most prized purchase ever.

There are so many great ghost scenes, it's much more than just poltergeist activity, these ghosts want the family dead, and apparitions follow them around wherever they go. 'Based on a true story' adorns the cover. I don't believe it, but I did back then, and it made me obsessed with paranormal activity, not just in the movies (although I've yet to see anything convincing). It's power had been dulled by my latent cynicism, but for a tv film it's still fantastically crafted and acted.

Runners-up: Bloody Sunday, The Last Seduction.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:03 am

I thought the one about that bank robbery in L.A., where the two dudes were wearing body armor and had armor piercing bullets and they took out like half the LAPD, then the cops had to raid a gun shop to take out the two robbers..that was a pretty sweet TV movie IMO.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:04 am

The Night Stalker...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06 am

ROAD RAGE!!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 am

All I can think of are Stephen King flicks at the moment..bu these, in descending order are the ones that impacted me the most:

Salems Lot
The Stand
It
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:12 am

'Don King: Only In America', starring Ving Rhames
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:14 am

Doc Holliday wrote:All I can think of are Stephen King flicks at the moment..bu these, in descending order are the ones that impacted me the most:

Salems Lot
The Stand
It

arent the second two mini-series?
not that I mind their inclusion
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 am

Apparently John Carpenter's 'Elvis' tv movie (starring Jack Russell, er...Kurt Burton, y'know - the man!) is class too. Haven't seen it listed just yet.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 am

I gonna to say, I like a the Stand unna'til a the end, no? It was a there that a she alla fell apart... very ham-a-handed inna the end, with a the whole "devil face" effect onna the Randall Flag, anna the "hand of a the God" effect... holy crappa, uppa unna'til a then, they hadda me, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:18 am

Doc Holliday wrote:All I can think of are Stephen King flicks at the moment..bu these, in descending order are the ones that impacted me the most:

Salems Lot
The Stand
It

Rose Red is just about worthy of joining the end of that list.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I gonna to say, I like a the Stand unna'til a the end, no? It was a there that a she alla fell apart... very ham-a-handed inna the end, with a the whole "devil face" effect onna the Randall Flag, anna the "hand of a the God" effect... holy crappa, uppa unna'til a then, they hadda me, eh?

All true my liege...but like your own children you forgive them their sins in the end....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 am

tapehead wrote:

Salems Lot
The Stand
It

Yup, I stand corrected no pun intended. The fault is mine of course...I stated something as fact this morning and it was actually correct. With this post of mine (above), the Clever-Dumb balance has once again been restored.

I salute you! :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:29 am

I always like a the "Special Bulletin" inna the States back inna the 80s, eh? It was around a the same time as a "The Day After," but a Bulletin, I think a she was a the better of a the two, anna she holds uppa better inna these a modern times, eh?

Anybody remember a that one?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:30 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
tapehead wrote:

Salems Lot
The Stand
It

Yup, I stand corrected no pun intended. The fault is mine of course...I stated something as fact this morning and it was actually correct. With this post of mine (above), the Clever-Dumb balance has once again been restored.

I salute you! :D

that's cool, maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I think the Stand ran like five hours when I watched it on rental.

I prefer to sit corrected
or lounge corrected
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:58 am

L.A. Takedown was better than Heat in some ways, I certainly prefered the ending, the acting isn't as good and it certainly doesn't look as pretty but it's a good TV Movie for sure.

The One about Bill Gates and the Apple guy is quite good.

The one about Jat Leno & Letterman is good.

I think the best TV Movie I have ever seen was called I Know my First Name Is Steven

True Story about a 7-year old boy called Steven Stayner who was kidnapped a few days before Christmas by one Reverend Kenneth Parnell, Played brilliantly by Arliss Howard (Private Cowboy in Full Metal Jacket), seven years later Steven finally realises that the story he's been told about his family moving away is false and he finally accepts that he's been continually sexually abused (which I never realised as a kid) by this monster, very powerful stuff.

This was just so well made that as a kid I watched it a few times and realised my Mum was right in telling me never talk to strangers, The older Steven was played by Corin Nemec of Parker Lewis and SG1 Fame, I think he even won an emmy for his role.

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:02 pm

I go with Salems Lot, miniseries or not
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Duel. Steven Speilberg. Yaaahh boy.

That film about the shoot out during a bank robbery was called 44 MINUTES: THE NORTH HOLLYWOOD SHOOTOUT . Also pretty damned good.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:04 pm

John-Locke wrote:L.A. Takedown was better than Heat in some ways, I certainly prefered the ending, the acting isn't as good and it certainly doesn't look as pretty but it's a good TV Movie for sure.

The One about Bill Gates and the Apple guy is quite good.

The one about Jat Leno & Letterman is good.

I think the best TV Movie I have ever seen was called I Know my First Name Is Steven

True Story about a 7-year old boy called Steven Stayner who was kidnapped a few days before Christmas by one Reverend Kenneth Parnell, Played brilliantly by Arliss Howard (Private Cowboy in Full Metal Jacket), seven years later Steven finally realises that the story he's been told about his family moving away is false and he finally accepts that he's been continually sexually abused (which I never realised as a kid) by this monster, very powerful stuff.

This was just so well made that as a kid I watched it a few times and realised my Mum was right in telling me never talk to strangers, The older Steven was played by Corin Nemec of Parker Lewis and SG1 Fame, I think he even won an emmy for his role.

wow...sorry, can't follow the link but am I right in thinkning Arliss Howard and a true story about a boy that was kidnapped and finally escaped many years later? That was powerful, if its the one you mean JL...

Bollox. It wasn't a link...my crappy PC just took an age to upload the pic. What a mug thats made me look.
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:04 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I always like a the "Special Bulletin" inna the States back inna the 80s, eh? It was around a the same time as a "The Day After," but a Bulletin, I think a she was a the better of a the two, anna she holds uppa better inna these a modern times, eh?

Anybody remember a that one?

I've said I do and have it taped from cable, old man. It was just realistic enough to make one think it was really happening, especially with the "who-is-that" factor on the actors playing reporters and anchors.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 pm

The Vicar wrote:Duel. Steven Speilberg. Yaaahh boy.

That film about the shoot out during a bank robbery was called 44 MINUTES: THE NORTH HOLLYWOOD SHOOTOUT . Also pretty damned good.

You beat me to it, you bastard; I JUST got on the computer.

Badlands, though released theatrically in Europe, was made for American TV, I believe.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 pm

Steven Stayner died in '89 in an auto accident. The poor son of a bitch only got nine years of freedom. His brother is awaiting execution for a triple homicide.
DennisMM

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Duel. Steven Speilberg. Yaaahh boy.

You beat me to it, you bastard; I JUST got on the computer.

Badlands, though released theatrically in Europe, was made for American TV, I believe.

Terence Malick's 'Badlands' was made for TV?? well then it has got to be the best of this 'genre', ever
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:15 pm

The original Incredible Hulk movie, which kicked off the TV series. Awesome flick.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Movie called "Bill" staring Mickey Rooney as a mentally challanged older guy who worked at a school as a janitor...classic stuff
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Holy crappa not a the BILL?!?!?

"I'm a the low grade putz, eh?"

The poor bastard... Rooney won a the Emmy, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:The original Incredible Hulk movie, which kicked off the TV series. Awesome flick.

Good stuff. I missed it the first time around, because I was on an ROTC weekend camping excursion. Had to catch it in the summer.

Now, The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, that's good TV movie. Rex Smith as Daredevil kicks Affleck all to hell.
DennisMM

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:29 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Holy crappa not a the BILL?!?!?

"I'm a the low grade putz, eh?"

The poor bastard... Rooney won a the Emmy, no?

Yes i believe he did....it was a tour de force of mentally challanged acting. Way before Sean Penn and Tom Hanks, there was Bill
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:Now, The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, that's good TV movie. Rex Smith as Daredevil kicks Affleck all to hell.

I haven't seen that since I was a kid! Doesn't that one have Thor in it as well?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:33 pm

JabberJaw wrote:Movie called "Bill" staring Mickey Rooney as a mentally challanged older guy who worked at a school as a janitor...classic stuff

Didn't Mel Gibson do something similar....? Not the one with Jamie Lee Curtis, wayyyyy back in the day before that.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:35 pm

I still love The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler.
I also carry the love for IT (it got me to read the book when I was 11) and The Stand.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:Movie called "Bill" staring Mickey Rooney as a mentally challanged older guy who worked at a school as a janitor...classic stuff

Didn't Mel Gibson do something similar....? Not the one with Jamie Lee Curtis, wayyyyy back in the day before that.....

That sounds familiar...i cant remember when though.
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 pm

My favorite of all time is "Helter Skelter"

That guy looked exactly like Manson
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I still love The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler.
I also carry the love for IT (it got me to read the book when I was 11) and The Stand.

Yes, they were sweet, weren't they? Ah, the 1970s.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 pm

I have talked about it a million times in other threads, but "Dark Night of the Scarecrow". That movie is like a fresh kick in the nuts in all the right ways.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:06 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Now, The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, that's good TV movie. Rex Smith as Daredevil kicks Affleck all to hell.

I haven't seen that since I was a kid! Doesn't that one have Thor in it as well?

No, Thor is in The Return of The Incredible Hulk, and he makes Daredevil look accurate. Some wiener anthropologist (or archeologist) summons Thor by holding Mjornir and chanting, "ODIN!" Thor was like a beach bum, a real meathead, only interested in brew and brawling.

Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby DanielSan on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:13 pm

Manhunter!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby fried samurai on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Duel
Salems Lot
I Know My First Name Is Steven
Dont Be Afraid Of The Dark
Bad Ronald
Gargoyles
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm

DanielSan wrote:Manhunter!

With Ken Howard?
DennisMM

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:19 pm

DennisMM wrote:No, Thor is in The Return of The Incredible Hulk, and he makes Daredevil look accurate. Some wiener anthropologist (or archeologist) summons Thor by holding Mjornir and chanting, "ODIN!" Thor was like a beach bum, a real meathead, only interested in brew and brawling.

Ah, my hazy memory is betraying me (again). Thanks, Dennis!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:

With Ken Howard?

The TV movie that first had Hannibal Lechter (player by Brian Cox) - before Silence of the Lambs. Based on the book "Red Dragon", which then became the feature film with Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Excellent TV movie.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:27 pm

DanielSan wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

With Ken Howard?

The TV movie that first had Hannibal Lechter (player by Brian Cox) - before Silence of the Lambs. Based on the book "Red Dragon", which then became the feature film with Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Excellent TV movie.

That wasn't a TV movie. It opened in the theaters on August 15th, 1986 and made $2,204,400 its opening weekend.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Something About Amelia starring Ted Danson(1984).

Ted sexually abuses his daughter (played by the super-cute Roxanne Zal), she finally tells someone, family and community ripped apart yadda yadda yadda.
(i only remeber this because i think i had a crush on Ms Zal)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DanielSan on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:42 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
DanielSan wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

With Ken Howard?

Excellent TV movie.

That wasn't a TV movie. It opened in the theaters on August 15th, 1986 and made $2,204,400 its opening weekend.

Damn, really?? I only remember seeing it on the tube. Shows what I know - Nuttin'!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:42 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
DanielSan wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

With Ken Howard?

Excellent TV movie.

although it was Michael Mann's second or third feature-directing credit after being known mostly for Miami Vice I think
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:46 pm

As far as I can tell Badlands wasn't made for tv either - what is this other 'Badlands' telemovie?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:40 pm

In the US I think it aired as a TV original. On ABC, I think. I guess they couldn't sell it theatrically in the US, so went to TV. I assumed it was made for TV because it was a US production, like Duel. My apologies.

Another possibility is that I"m totally fucked on this, but I don't ever remember seeing theatrical release info on the movie.
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:44 pm

China Lake...a really good dry run for The Hitcher, by its director Robert Harmon. I think it was later remade into a feature film called something like The China Lake Syndrome, not sure about the title, but the remake was shit compared to the scary original.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771 (had to look that one up), seems like this is from forever ago, but I remember really enjoying it, think it came out around Christmas too, so I was probably in an especially sentimental mood. There was also a TV movie adaptation of a play called Love Letters that had Laura Linney in it that I remember enjoying, and Bye Bye Birdie with Jason Alexander was pretty good stuff as well, and I'm not a terribly big fan of musicals.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm

DanielSan wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
DanielSan wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

With Ken Howard?

Excellent TV movie.

Damn, really?? I only remember seeing it on the tube. Shows what I know - Nuttin'!

You needed only to ASK A THE DINO! His company made it!
DennisMM

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:03 pm

Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones
Helter Skelter
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Next

Return to Coaxial