Curb Your Enthusiasm

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:39 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:This weeks was good but the ending was a little forced.

There was some great stuff in there though

Leon's "for this to be legit someone's gotta get f'd up."

Larrys therapist was definitey the worst ever.

S'ok - probably my least favourite episode so far.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:11 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Larrys therapist was definitey the worst ever.

Considering he was played by English actor and comedian Steve Coogan, I was hoping he'd do better. Maybe he'll get another chance in episodes to come. Nice to see him getting a guest spot on the show, neverthless.

I thought it was ok - I guess this means Cheryl is gone for good.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DDMAN26 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Everytime Leon Black opens his mouth I laugh
Last edited by DDMAN26 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:Everytime Leon Black opens his mouth I laugh everytime

Leon is definitely a most welcome member on Curb this season and the best part of the Black (last name, Black) family. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:40 am

Larry, do you have still have a tickle in your anus?

The missing gerbil.

hahahahah
Maui
WoWie

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:52 am

You gotta become another motherfucker right now, ya know, grow a mustache, grow a goaty. Become another motherfucker you fill me!

Leon, work of genious. Mopey Dick!!! And Larry reacting to the girl offers of his assistent with a big ugly BLERGHHH. And what an ending. So brilliant.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:00 am

I think everybody needs a Leon in their life. Shit would get done that way.

@Maui: How come some of your posts have the sig banner and others do not?

It's making my brain itch...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 am

instant_karma wrote:
@Maui: How come some of your posts have the sig banner and others do not?

It's making my brain itch...

Try an antihistamine or some calamine lotion - that may help.

Dunno, I changed my sig graphic - perhaps the remnants of the older sig are still hanging around.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Mopey Dick was pure Leon!

Was this the series finale? Fate is to be determined at this moment.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Mopey Dick was pure Leon!

Yup, it was the season finale.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Mopey Dick was pure Leon!

Yup, it was the season finale.

;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 am

All depends if Larry feels like doing more, I guess. For a long time I thought when he 'died' and went to heaven and then came back, that was going to be it.

If it returns, he's not going to be the father of the Black family, though, I would guess.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:09 am

tapehead wrote:If it returns, he's not going to be the father of the Black family, though, I would guess.

Ohh definitely not.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Bump.

LD is back and I've never laughed so much in 30 minutes.

From the temperature setting in LD's house, to the fridge raiding, Bam Bam getting boinked then flirting at the table with Jeff during Susie's dinner party - just a fantastic season opener!

Welcome back Curb.

FYI, there is also supposed to be a faux Seinfeld reunion on one of the episodes this season. I've seen some previews, looks great!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Maui wrote:Bump.

LD is back and I've never laughed so much in 30 minutes.

From the temperature setting in LD's house, to the fridge raiding, Bam Bam getting boinked then flirting at the table with Jeff during Susie's dinner party - just a fantastic season opener!

Welcome back Curb.

FYI, there is also supposed to be a faux Seinfeld reunion on one of the episodes this season. I've seen some previews, looks great!

I LOVED the temperature argument. Leon is fn hilarious.

Never make an empty gesture to a Funkhauser!!

I can't wait to see LD get rid of Loretta!

The LD/Cheryl moment was actually pretty sweet. as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I LOVED the temperature argument. Leon is fn hilarious.

Never make an empty gesture to a Funkhauser!!

I can't wait to see LD get rid of Loretta!

The LD/Cheryl moment was actually pretty sweet. as well.

The temperature argument is so familiar. :lol:

Yeah LD/Cheryl need to get back together and with LD only spending 3 hours/day with Cheryl.

The Funkhausers are hysterical. I hope we see more of Catherine O'Hara. She was great! Her and Jeff winking across the table at each other while Susie wasn't looking, then tonguing their wine glasses. Hah!

When Larry is at the red light the same time as the Dr. with the biopsy information? Then he speeds ahead. I really chuckled. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:39 am

Last season was lagging, but man they're making up for it. It got to the point that I was expecting that unexpected thing at the end, but the box cutter in the plastic killed me. And I knew when he bought it we'd be seeing it again, yet they still got me...and I appreciate it.

I was laughing so hard when he said "I think you blew him" and second hand semen. Everything cracked me up really. I'm gonna go eat this fucking chinese food in my fucking room or whatever he said. And thank goodness, we need Leon on the show.

Maui I'm with you I want Catherine O'Hara to come back!
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 am

Snow Apple wrote:Last season was lagging, but man they're making up for it. It got to the point that I was expecting that unexpected thing at the end, but the box cutter in the plastic killed me. And I knew when he bought it we'd be seeing it again, yet they still got me...and I appreciate it.

I was laughing so hard when he said "I think you blew him" and second hand semen. Everything cracked me up really. I'm gonna go eat this fucking chinese food in my fucking room or whatever he said. And thank goodness, we need Leon on the show.

Maui I'm with you I want Catherine O'Hara to come back!

You have to be careful for second hand semen!!

I hope the Blacks pop up every once in awhile. The whole rant about LD getting a taste for chocolate was hilarious. Vivica Fox was a good foil for Larry.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 am

Indeed, we need some more Bam Bam! The Funkhausers appear often on Curb, so I'm certain Bam Bam will make another appearance, perhaps stir things up for Jeff and Suzie again. One can only hope.

I don't think that's the last of Loretta either, even if it appears like Larry went for some more chocolate.

Second hand semen. :lol: "You can't be homosexual by proxy".

Toxic spouses, exacto knives and an entire episode dedicated to fellatio. :lol: This season so far is excellent.

I'm glad Leon is going to stay with Larry - he's hilarious. "What the fuck you talking about LD?"
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about the upcoming Seinfeld reunion taking place on 'Curb...'. Anyone know how soon this season they are supposed to turn up?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 pm

I think they show up in the next episode that airs, which is either the third or fourth one (I don't really watch the show so I'm not sure).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Ribbons wrote:I think they show up in the next episode that airs, which is either the third or fourth one (I don't really watch the show so I'm not sure).

Yeah supposedly the 3rd episode. I can't wait.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Maui wrote:"You can't be homosexual by proxy".

I'm pretty sure that's in the goddamn Constitution.

The Seinfeld crew shows up next week! And they're gonna be around for the rest of the season. The behind-the-scenes special before Entourage last week talked a lot about how this is a chance for us to catch up with the Seinfeld universe, and how it's like a new ending for the series. A tenth season, if you will. So it sounds like there will be lots of us watching what Larry and the team are filming. Not unlike the "Jerry" episode of Seinfeld where we watch extended clips of Jerry & George's pilot.

Personally, I can't wait for them to address Michael Richards' rant! You know Larry won't pussyfoot around it!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Personally, I can't wait for them to address Michael Richards' rant! You know Larry won't pussyfoot around it!

I assumed that issue would not be brought up. It would be great if Michael Richards could have a sense of humor about it and admit he was a stupid idiot. Actually if they don't talk about it I'll think less of him because it obviously would only be avoided because he demanded it.

For sure the Black's need to come around, I'm just grateful Leon is staying put. You know Larry wants him there, provided their bedroom ACs have individual controls.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I read confirmation somewhere that the rant will be brought up around the sixth episode or so. They HAVE to do it. It would be incredibly pussy not to. And if Michael Richards wasn't willing, they still would have had to explain in the show why he couldn't do the reunion and discuss the rant without his participation. The only other option is to be even bigger pussies and not do the reunion idea at all, just to avoid dealing with some sticky emotions. As it happens, Larry and Michael are grown-ups, so we'll all have the pleasure of watching them tackle the incident head-on!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 pm

I dunno, it kind of annoys me how every time a celebrity does a boo boo, for the rest of their career we have to wade through a list of their slip-ups before they get to do anything else. I guess that's what being a celebrity is, though. And I s'pose if they're gonna be there for the whole season, it'd be odd if it didn't come up eventually.

Personally, I'm about 10 billion times bigger a Curb fan than I am a Jerry Seinfeld fan. Seinfeld, like M.A.S.H. before it, seems like one of those monumental lapses of taste on the part of the public (all personal opinion, mind). So if this whole reunion thing is played too reverently (which wouldn't be too surprising, considering how touchy Jerry is about the show) it might drag down the whole series for me.

Why couldn't Larry have co-created Frasier instead?! :(
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:41 pm

'Cos Frasier sucks (personal opinion).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 pm

tapehead wrote:'Cos Frasier sucks (personal opinion).

Seconded.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

Seconded.

:evil: I feel another evil mod day coming on...
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Seppuku wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Seconded.

I liked Frasier. :D

On the other hand, I also liked MASH. :?

Of course, not liking MASH is sort of saying you disliked three different shows.Seeing as how it changed soo dramatically over it's run.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Seppuku wrote:I dunno, it kind of annoys me how every time a celebrity does a boo boo, for the rest of their career we have to wade through a list of their slip-ups before they get to do anything else. I guess that's what being a celebrity is, though. And I s'pose if they're gonna be there for the whole season, it'd be odd if it didn't come up eventually.

Personally, I'm about 10 billion times bigger a Curb fan than I am a Jerry Seinfeld fan. Seinfeld, like M.A.S.H. before it, seems like one of those monumental lapses of taste on the part of the public (all personal opinion, mind). So if this whole reunion thing is played too reverently (which wouldn't be too surprising, considering how touchy Jerry is about the show) it might drag down the whole series for me.

Why couldn't Larry have co-created Frasier instead?! :(

The thing of it is, Michael Richards is playing himself here. So you have to address the elephant in the room. It's tasteful that they're waiting for a few episodes before bringing it up, so they're not all over his back about it. The show's portrayal of him will be three-dimensional. They'll treat him as a real person--as more than just The Incident.

I'm with you on digging Curb and Larry David more than Jerry Seinfeld himself, as a comedian, but that's funny that you don't like the Seinfeld series which was so much Larry David's baby. IMO it's obvious how influential Larry was to what made Seinfeld special because the series suffered an immediate drop in quality when he left after the seventh season, and then kept declining through seasons eight and nine (...although the final episode which he came back to write sucked too.) Seinfeld and Curb are similar in so many ways, with their observational humour and the collision of separate storylines at the end of every episode. I try to convince people who were Seinfeld fans to watch Curb by telling them how similar it is.

Based on the behind-the-scenes special aired last week, it seems like they are taking the reunion pretty seriously. Like I was sayin', there was talk about how this will be like a new ending to Seinfeld, and it looks like they've gone out of their way to give us glimpses of what tons of different characters have been doing over the last eleven years. Newman's back, Banya's back, George's Mom... And they talked about how they dug the old sets out of storage and paid careful attention to little details like Jerry's Superman statue. So yeah, it sounds like it'll be pretty reverential! I hope it won't be too schmaltzy and sentimental though. That's definitely a risk. No matter what else, there'll be plenty of Curb goodness surrounding the Seinfeld scenes! It's still Curb, by gum.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:51 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Seppuku wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Seconded.

I liked Frasier. :D

On the other hand, I also liked MASH. :?

Of course, not liking MASH is sort of saying you disliked three different shows.Seeing as how it changed soo dramatically over it's run.

Four different shows when you take into account the laugh track episodes and the laugh track-free episodes. It wasn't THAT bad, and Alan Alda's pretty awesome, I just find it kinda lame. This might be heightened by the fact that I've only seen the episodes with insane canned laughter. I haven't heard so many people laughing at diddly-squat since that one time I did laughing gas at a house party.

RaulMonkey wrote:The thing of it is, Michael Richards is playing himself here. So you have to address the elephant in the room. It's tasteful that they're waiting for a few episodes before bringing it up, so they're not all over his back about it. The show's portrayal of him will be three-dimensional. They'll treat him as a real person--as more than just The Incident.

OK, I'm converted. At the very least it'll be a break from all that Seinfeld: Backstage business.

I'm with you on digging Curb and Larry David more than Jerry Seinfeld himself, as a comedian, but that's funny that you don't like the Seinfeld series which was so much Larry David's baby. IMO it's obvious how influential Larry was to what made Seinfeld special because the series suffered an immediate drop in quality when he left after the seventh season, and then kept declining through seasons eight and nine (...although the final episode which he came back to write sucked too.) Seinfeld and Curb are similar in so many ways, with their observational humour and the collision of separate storylines at the end of every episode. I try to convince people who were Seinfeld fans to watch Curb by telling them how similar it is.

I guess the difference which makes me like one and not like the other could be Jerry himself. There's a reason why people took the piss out of him by saying all his jokes ended with, "What's the deal with that?" He hits me as one big ego-driven null who rode Larry's coat-tails. The Bee Movie, anyone? (Apparently its working title was What's the Deal With Bees?) I think the main difference, though, would be that I just find Curb's docu style more laid-back, enjoyable and rewatchable. Don't they say timing's king when it comes to comedy? Also, Seinfeld is Larry with all the edges smoothed out and none of the risks.

Plus it's totally racist! :wink:

EDIT: I just noticed Tonay started the Curb thread. I change my mind, Curb Your Enthusiasm sucks ass!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:45 am

What's the Deal With Bees was not the working title, that can't be true. That's making me laugh man. Fuck Jerry Seinfeld. But I love that show.

I hate Kelsey Grammar and Fraiser too. And M.A.S.H.! I used to get so pissed off as a kid when those dumbass repeats were like the only thing on before we had cable. I did like the movie.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 am

I'm anxious to see how LD will handle the Cheryl/Meg Ryan dilemma.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 am

After the sublime "Vehicular Fellatio" I found this ep to be a little bit of a let down. It was still funny but (and I guess it had to be really) it was too plotty and contrived. It made up for it with the whole Lyme disease thing and Larry's fantasies were laugh out loud but, I dunno it just didn't seem as well conceived as last week's where everything coalesced into a solid final 10 minutes of pure comedy. The set up for the rest of season is cool though and like Maui says there's going to be plenty of difficult situations for Larry to fuck up from here on in.

And Frasier rules, btw.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

I liked him on Cheers, but he was often drunk and belligerent then. Any show that relies heavily on a Grandpa's chair, a little dog, and a fucking English housemaid is no comedy classic in my book. Niles did some good work. Way too much chair-based humour. And what was with that fucking grandpa? I hated that dude.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Seppuku wrote:Seinfeld is Larry with all the edges smoothed out and none of the risks.

Funny because I always thought George was the one based on Larry David
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Seinfeld is Larry with all the edges smoothed out and none of the risks.

He was.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

He was.

Yeah, but lots of stuff that Jerry did on the show was based on Larry's real life experiences too, like him and Elaine trying to be friends with benefits, and hanging out at the building where he knew that chick worked, pretending to be visiting his friend, Art Vandelay.

I agree with Tony. "The Reunion" felt contrived, but it was all necessary set up. I thought Michael being distracted by the titty pictures was funny even if it turned out to be a blind alley plot-wise. It was smart to throw the audience off by making us laugh at Michael being lecherous. Everyone's thinking "racist" or "angry," and instead of trying to convince us that he's a nice guy or something, they give us "horny."
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Lecherous? horny? my impression was more 'distracted by boobies' Which is a subtly different state of mind, far less striking, say, than the contrast between Jerry and George's personalities, which are drastically different. I loved the other restaurant scene of 'Jason Alexander' trashing his Seinfeld character to Larry while Larry quietly defends himself/George.

Was there also a similar tipping argument in 'Seinfeld' once? Oh Jesus, how I loved that show...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 am

tapehead wrote: I loved the other restaurant scene of 'Jason Alexander' trashing his Seinfeld character to Larry while Larry quietly defends himself/George.

I thought that was odd because of course Jason knows George is based on Larry. I was distracted by feeling for Larry instead of laughing.

The Seinfeld cast stuff was kinda bleh.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Seppuku on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:47 am

John-Locke wrote:

Just for the record, I meant the program not the person.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:44 am

The Larry Show?

(Cool down hombre, I'm just messin' with you)

The only show that really compares with the style and sense of comedic taste exhibited in 'Curb your Enthusiasm' is, ironically enough, The Larry Sanders Show (mebbe a little Arrested Development too, although that's much more an ensemble piece with an enphasis on the family dynamic)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:53 am

That's interesting tape, I agree about The Larry Sander Shoe but I'd say CYE and Arrested Development were quite different in pretty much every respect, I think there's an incredible verbal wit to AD that Curb doesn't have and the documentary and narrator format in AD mean the plots are much more complicated and referential to previous episodes. With Curb the plots often feel free form (which is one reason I dislike eps like last Sunday's) even when you can tell they must be tightly constructed. Curb also mines a great deal of it's humour from social rituals and their arbitrary nature whereas AD is more often about traditional set-up and punchlines, be they verbal or slapstick plus the witty word games and general absurdity.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 am

TonyWilson wrote:That's interesting tape, I agree about The Larry Sander Shoe but I'd say CYE and Arrested Development were quite different in pretty much every respect, I think there's an incredible verbal wit to AD that Curb doesn't have and the documentary and narrator format in AD mean the plots are much more complicated and referential to previous episodes. With Curb the plots often feel free form (which is one reason I dislike eps like last Sunday's) even when you can tell they must be tightly constructed. Curb also mines a great deal of it's humour from social rituals and their arbitrary nature whereas AD is more often about traditional set-up and punchlines, be they verbal or slapstick plus the witty word games and general absurdity.

Yeah, I'd fall back on my initial argument that TLSS is in one way or another a primary antecedent and quite possibly an influence upon Curb (other than Larry's years of work on Seinfeld, I guess) but there's a real similarity in the structure of AD and Curb that bears pointing out - mostly the way that seemingly the seemingly random and scattered plot lines would, either at the end of an episode, story arc or season, converge and dovetail together into a crescendo of humiliating laughs and hilarious stupidity. I'm thinking primarily of season one of AD and, for instance, the restaurant season of Curb (but I think there's a similar progression in most seasons of the Curb, and each of the three seasons of AD, even though it got a little siller as it went on, IMO).

I'm tempted to make a stronger case, but not tonight, however it's something I'm often reminded of watching current eps of 30 Rock when it's at it's best - I'm sure Tina Fey has watched and knows all these shows by heart (beyond that she's not above borrowing the odd story element either - The Meat Machine vs. The Cornballer, anyone?) In my mind there's a definite lineage to be traced upon the histories of these great American comedies - there's a cynicism and sarcasm common to them which is rare in US sitcoms for starters, and they mostly adhere ('cept for Seinfeld), to a single camera, location-based and documentary-feel production style too.
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 am

I think all the guys Ricky Gervais interviewed, Larry David, Christopher Guest and Gary Shandling (or should I say Bingo from the Banana Splits), including Gervais himself, all added something to the doc-com potpourri. They all had their own agendas: Curb is kind of about one man having to walk on eggshells in a world full of highly-strung moralists; it's almost an inversion of The Larry Sanders Show, in which most of the comedy and awkwardness emanated from Larry himself. I could kinda see Arrested Development as a bit of an extension of the backstage scenes from Larry, but that might have something to do with Jeffrey Tambor connecting the two. The difference between all of those shows and things like Seinfeld and Frasier is like the difference between Noh theatre and a Samuel Beckett play: one is incredibly restricted and theatrical, and the other lets the characters and actors breathe life into the script.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 am

100% with you on the 30 Rock ancestry, they also do the smash-cut-to-improbable-event-just-referenced that AD did so well with it's documentary style found footage and file photos, though it's been around longer then Curb or AD, I think Spaced it the first instance I've seen it done a lot.

Edit

Seppuku wrote: Curb is kind of about one man having to walk on eggshells in a world full of highly-strung moralists;

Best description of Curb I've read I think there, Sepp.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 pm

TonyWilson wrote:100% with you on the 30 Rock ancestry, they also do the smash-cut-to-improbable-event-just-referenced that AD did so well with it's documentary style found footage and file photos, though it's been around longer then Curb or AD, I think Spaced it the first instance I've seen it done a lot.

Edit

Seppuku wrote: Curb is kind of about one man having to walk on eggshells in a world full of highly-strung moralists;

Best description of Curb I've read I think there, Sepp.

I think we're getting to the core of it now - it seems like some people see Larry as the hero of the story, whereas to my mind (and considering Larry's investment into a character like George Costanza, it seems his too), he's more an anti-hero (ie not morally 'right' at all but rather a deeply flawed yet sympathetic character), and at the same time much more complex and interesting than a self absorbed, pretentious pseudo-English talk back radio psychologist in Seattle.

Seppuku wrote:The difference between all of those shows and things like Seinfeld and Frasier is like the difference between Noh theatre and a Samuel Beckett play: one is incredibly restricted and theatrical, and the other lets the characters and actors breathe life into the script.

Please, go on - I don't know that much about theatre.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:58 pm

TonyWilson wrote:After the sublime "Vehicular Fellatio" I found this ep to be a little bit of a let down. It was still funny but (and I guess it had to be really) it was too plotty and contrived.

Yeah, I didn't find it as funny as the first two episodes. Let's hope for some laughs tonight!
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 am

Is it just me being in a particularly funny mood or was last nights episode one of the funniest things on TV ever?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial