Sliders

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Sliders

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I just saw the pilot episode of this, and I kinda like it.

Mainly because the premise so fucking promising. I mean, christ, the show could be AMAZING. They might go into a dimension where everyone sings, and the whole episode is a musical. Or ANYTHING.

I hope the rest of this series is as good as it is in my dreams. I hope.

I'm assuming some of you have already seen it, so tell me - is good/bad/both? Is there loads of experiemental episodes? I like the main cast btw, except for the girl. The main character is nice, I like him, the professor is cool (and I like how his alter ego was evil!), and the singer is funny as fuck. Awesomeness.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:54 pm

the first couple seasons are excellent, but it starts falling apart when the cast starts leaving.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 pm

The rest was, well . . . ok, brace yourself. The first two seasons were quite well done - some amazing episodes (favorites being anything ranging from a world without Penecillin to a world where Russia rules over the US) . . . then the third season is decent . . . then we get to the fourth season. This is when Sci-Fi channel took over and Fox was no longer showing the series. It shows. There are some quality episodes, but it's a lot cheesier, and personally, I'm not a fan of one of the key characters that weasled her way in at that point. Fifth season, just don't watch it. Pretend it doesn't exist. Seriously, it'll crush you if you grow any emtional attachment to the show.

I used to spend a lot of time at the sliders scifi.com bboard, and know a lot about the show, so if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Good to see it's still picking up new fans - it deserves it, at least for the initial strength of the premise.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Its been around for how many years now? depends if you are watching a BARD episode or not (Before the Axeing of Rhys-Davies).

If you got yourself yourself a Gimli, you got yourself a show.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 pm

I like that there's a fair amount of comedy in the episodes too. If there's anything I hate, it's when sci-fi takes itself too seriously. That's why I just can't 'into' Battlestar Galactica, it's just too grim and constantly serious.

BTW, thanks for the heads up, I'll probably end up watching Season 5 anyway, but I won't let it get to me.

It's such a great premise though, maybe even the best premise for a tv show I've known. So much fucking potential, with infinate universes and all that.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 pm

Did they explain Davies leaving?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:04 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Its been around for how many years now? depends if you are watching a BARD episode or not (Before the Axeing of Rhys-Davies).

If you got yourself yourself a Gimli, you got yourself a show.....

He is always very entertaining and good at his craft. Nothing like a Hollywood exec to f*ck up a good thing.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:06 pm

as soon as they brought in jerry o'connells' brother - the show really started sucking... i think charlie o'connell is useless... but ya - was enjoyable for a little while... turned into your basic syndicated tv sci-fi show then and was just rendered unwatchable...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Did they explain Davies leaving?

Yes, but regretfully the one thing that the show's writers really struggled with was adding and removing characters . . . they often expected fans of the show to accept certain characters' fates blindly, when those characters deserved far more honorable departure/requiem, etc. . . . SPOILER eventually all but one of the original group remains /SPOILER, and each of the switches is obviously forced due to minimal warning time of the actors' departures and just weak writing in general. Regardless, you're right, they definitely take advantage of the vast possibilities for quite a while, and for the miniscule budget they had, it's pretty admirable what they managed a lot of the time.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby jgraphix on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:16 pm

I thought this was a thread for White Castle...
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:37 pm

jgraphix wrote:I thought this was a thread for White Castle...

And I thought is was going to be another one of Tonay's rants about how he loves to bathe at the feet of Whedon's greatness or some jazz like that.

BTW: What does this have to do with Joss Whedon Tonay? I thought that was the only thing you knew.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:41 am

Get the fuck out of my thread, thanks. If you want to cause trouble, go to the TalkBacks.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:00 am

Hey Tonay, no hate just debate... you haven't exactly made a smooth entry to the Zone, so take it easy, and learn to laugh a little, will ya?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:28 am

I get that.

I'm just saying, the Tonay on the talkbacks and the Tonay on here are practically two different people.

I'm like Larry David. The one on the talkbacks is the Curb Your Enthusiasm Larry, and the one on here is the Real Larry.

Yes, I'm the reason that new registrations were cancelled. Yes, I'm the reason that most AICNers now hate Whedon fans. And Yes, I've caused two internet suicides in the six years that I've been in this business.

I'm not a troll on every forum I go to, of course not. The talkbacks are just a prime environment for people like me. I'm just on the Zone to talk about TV, baby.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:32 am

Tonay wrote:Get the fuck out of my thread, thanks. If you want to cause trouble, go to the TalkBacks.

Dude, I'm calling a spade a spade.

All I know is the complete chaos you've caused on the other side.

I fully expect you to revert fully to what you displayed here, as quoted above, and prove your true colors. Just like every other sleeper that waits for its time.

Harsh? No, not considering your body of work. But, I will be pleasantly surprised if I was proved wrong.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:36 am

That's cool with me.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 am

Tonay wrote:Yes, I'm the reason that new registrations were cancelled. Yes, I'm the reason that most AICNers now hate Whedon fans. And Yes, I've caused two internet suicides in the six years that I've been in this business.

You proud of that or something?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:47 am

Of course I am. Although I can understand why this might be the wrong audience to boast to.

Anyway, if I was that Sliders kid, I would go around having sex with people in different dimensions, and then running off when they wanted to start a relationship.

MOD: Deleted offensive content. --Pacino86845
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am

Tonay wrote:Of course I am. Although I can understand why this might be the wrong audience to boast to.

Anyway, if I was that Sliders kid, I would go around having sex with people in different dimensions, and then running off when they wanted to start a relationship.

deleted by Pacino86845...

isn't that what Scott Bakula did in Quantum Leap...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am

Tonay wrote: Although I can understand why this might be the wrong audience to boast to.

Smartest thing you've written yet
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:51 am

havocSchultz wrote:isn't that what Scott Bakula did in Quantum Leap...?

No. He kept having virtual-sex with Ziggy.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:53 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:isn't that what Scott Bakula did in Quantum Leap...?

No. He kept having virtual-sex with Ziggy.

ahhhh.... ziggyilash...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:53 am

Bill Murray kind of did it in Groundhog Day.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JackKnight on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm

I thought Sliders started off well, but after the second season it seemed like they were sliding through various Hollywood films. There was the Jurassic Park episode, the Twister episode, The Hidden episode. It sure seemed like the writer's got totally lazy. And there was so much they could have done with that show, it was a damn shame.

I also didn't care for the way they decided to make Jerry O'connel stop being nerdy Quinn and be action hero Quinn. The addition of Kari Wuhr (while she is totally hot) and the storyline with Roger Daltry pretty much signalled the demise of the show for me.

LOL about Bakula and Ziggy btw.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tonay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:03 pm

I liked the main character for his nerdiness, it's bad to hear they started making him the 'hero' after a while.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Return to Coaxial