This show needs some love!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

This show needs some love!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:01 pm

There are always smart and insightful television shows that don't generate enough popularity to survive. Arrested Development is a great example. Which show are you watching now that deserves more love from the networks, fans, etc.? Broadcast TV, cable, premium cable, whatever.

Think of this as an opportunity to pitch a show that you love that not enough people are watching.

My first example is Veronica Mars. Great writing, interesting one-shot stories and long-term arcs. Very solid acting, anchored by the very charismatic Kristen Bell. The return of Steve Guttenberg. If you haven't seen it, go rent the season 1 DVD's and catch up.

Particularly with the imminent UPN-WB merger, this show needs to gain some momentum in order to survive.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby nodforlife on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:03 pm

I heard Deadwood doesn't get that great of ratings. So there's one.

Venture Bros. on Cartoon Network is another.
nodforlife
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Speaking of Cartoon Network...

I think it's been doing pretty well, ratings-wise, but Robot Chicken is fricking hilarious, particularly for this ADD society we live in.

One caveat: it's much, much, much funnier when...errr...in an altered state.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:One caveat: it's much, much, much funnier when...errr...in an altered state.

So is Dancing with the obscure stars for that matter. Altered state rules...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:15 pm

Agent Alonzo wrote: Altered states rules...

i love that movie - good choice...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:20 pm

i second that deadwood nomination.

but i gotta disagree with you on that robot chicken nod, moo. i liked that show at first, but then soured on it quickly.

i would however also like to add penn & teller: bullshit. i dont know if its still on or not. i had to hear about it from a friend, and when i finally saw it, i ate that shit up. but i never hear anyone talk about it, or see any advertising for it or any of that shit.

in addition, i absolutely love "pop japan tv", "korean music countdown", and "showbiz india", all of which are on the AZN network. but i dont know if those count. and i certainly dont think they would ever get more love from the networks, or the general populous. too ethnic.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Brocktune wrote:
but i gotta disagree with you on that robot chicken nod, moo. i liked that show at first, but then soured on it quickly.

i would however also like to add penn & teller: bullshit. i dont know if its still on or not. i had to hear about it from a friend, and when i finally saw it, i ate that shit up. but i never hear anyone talk about it, or see any advertising for it or any of that shit.

I can see why on Chicken. The key is to be stoned every time you watch it.

I've seen one episode of Bullshit, it was about PETA. Fucking brilliant. I need to see more.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I can see why on Chicken. The key is to be stoned every time you watch it.

maybe i was too stoned. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:36 pm

WONDER SHOWZEN!

It just came and went and it was totally hilarious; borderline transgressive humor on MTV2 of all places.

Highlights included a 10 year old boy dressed as Hitler conducting interviews with random pedestrians in New York. And other "guerilla comedy" featuring kids. I wonder if the kids parents new what they were signing those release forms for?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:53 pm

I am going to give a third nomination to Deadwood. Anyone who doesn't like Deadwood sucks c@ck BY CHOICE!

Two shows, despite the fan love and accolades, seriously gets butt raped by their respective network execs:

Justice League Unlimited and Arrested Development.

Both shows have a strong following, yet both are forsaken for sub-par programming. It is a shame that their networks don't realize just how truly inspired both shows are in respect to their genre.

One thing too: I really hope that AD gets picked up somehow by NBC, gets moved to Thursday, and helps reclaim the night for NBC as the new Must-See TV: AD at 8, Scrubs at 8:30, My Name is Earl at 9 and The Office at 9:30. That is a dominant lineup.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:55 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:One thing too: I really hope that AD gets picked up somehow by NBC, gets moved to Thursday, and helps reclaim the night for NBC as the new Must-See TV: AD at 8, Scrubs at 8:30, My Name is Earl at 9 and The Office at 9:30. That is a dominant lineup.

You bring up another great example: Scrubs. Probably my second fave half-hour comedy behind AD. Ratings for Scrubs have always been subpar, and there was talk at the golden globes that they may be moving to ABC, so you may not get your dominant lineup, sadly.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:59 pm

nodforlife wrote:Venture Bros. on Cartoon Network is another.

Agreed. It's been picking up steam since last season ended though, and I think the season 2 premiere is going to be huge. We've got a Venture Bros. thread if you want to discuss it further.

I'd like to add Rescue Me to the list.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:01 pm

Just throwing this out there:

Would House count on this list, despite Hugh Laurie getting individual nominations for various awards?

I don't remember the show getting a collective award nomination.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:01 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

I started watching in season 1 and enjoyed it, but lost steam through no fault of the show.

Maybe once we have enough entries I'll do an "if you could save one show" poll.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:03 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Just throwing this out there:

Would House count on this list, despite Hugh Laurie getting individual nominations for various awards?

House may be a good example, good shows that may be getting critical acclaim but less love from the masses (see A.D., Veronica Mars). I don't watch House, personally, so I'm not sure how it is doing in the ratings...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:06 pm

I really loved the rebroadcast of UK show Spooks on A&E. It is called MI-6 over here. It's not on now, but I believe another series is in the pipe. Anyway, I am the only person I know who has watched it. :( That's a cold and lonely feeling.

Justice League Unlimited is another great example. I love how every show on Cartoon Network gets rerun into the dirt but JLU gets one measely showing a week and a schedule that would be baffling to Mr. Spock.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:07 pm

I actually think House is a critical and popular darling.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:09 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I actually think House is a critical and popular darling.

well, at least the public is getting something right (even if I'm not), I've heard it is very good.

It is popular, therefore, it is NOT appropriate for this thread. :wink:
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Rescue me certainly doesn't get enough love around these parts, it best get a third season, I see no reason why not.

House can be a little predictable at times for me, I still watch it but for an example of it's predictability, in the last episode as soon as the guy banged his head and started talking funny I was like "They are going to have to figure out what he's saying to save him at the end of the show" which of course they did. Still it beats the shit out of UK Medical dramas like Holby City and Casualty which in their own way(Evolutionary speaking) were slight inspirations for House no doubt.

Deadwood gets loads of Love around here, it's just not been on since the zone started.
Last edited by John-Locke on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Yeah House is doing very good ratings, not Lost ratings, but it has done very good business for Fox.
I watched the first season of Spooks/MI-5 via Netflix. I loved some of it, but hated the last episode, so I never got around to going to season 2, I will at some point...

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:13 pm

House is all about the character of House, everything else is just filler, watching Laurie do a tour-de-force as acid tongued son-of-a-bitch is worth watching even if the medical drama was how the kid skinned his knee...

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:26 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Just throwing this out there:

i always thought it might be because house is too derivative of other shows? i gather from some of the posts above tho, that it isnt as forsaken by the public and press as much as you or i mightve thought. i do watch house, but its because i love hugh laurie so much. i would have to contend that it is one of the most predictable, and formulaic shows in primetime right now, but ill be a monkeys uncle if hugh laurie just isnt a blast to watch week after week.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby nodforlife on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:27 pm

I think a reason a lot of these "good" shows fly under the radar is the way the Nielsen ratings are compiled. According to my college Comm professor, you can only get a Nielsen box if you are a "household." This includes families and people living alone, but it doesn't include a large population of people that watch a lot of the shows on this thread: College students. As far as I know, and it doesn't mention it on the Nielsen web site, dorm rooms and fraternities don't get Nielsen boxes.

Also, it looks like the compiling of ratings is compiled pretty voluntatily, even in households that have a box. Check out Nielsen's research methods here:

CLICK ME
nodforlife
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Spooks is pretty cool, I liked the episode about the racist organisation, killer ending too.
It's on series 3 in the UK and it's lost all the main cast except for the boss so I don't bother to watch anymore.

I always think "Medium" is brilliant but I never hear anyone else mention it.

And "In the line of Fire" was a cool show when it was on, the guy who played the mob boss was a great actor and it had a great overall story.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:40 pm

House really isn't 'derivative of other shows', rather it is formulaic, which is different. However, what a lot of people miss is that House is actually a spin on Sherlock Holmes, with the 'who murdered the person in a locked room' becoming 'what disease/event is causing this strange life-threatening lillness'. House is Holmes (house home, geddit), Wilson is Watson, House is addicted to painkillers, Holmes to Cocaine. Both like to solve the 'crime' removed from the scene, but are sometimes forced to get their hands dirty. They both live at 221B, they both use music to help themselves think... I could go on and on with this, but it really is exactly what they are doing.
And, if you go and read through the Sherlock Holmes short stories they are extremly formulaic. In other words it is intentional, and the writers have even thrown in gags to that effect. House said something along the lines of 'no they accuse me of being formulaic' in an episode about a month ago.

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:42 pm

I'm not big on following the ratings...how is BSG doing this season?

EDIT: Ok, I'm not completely lazy, I figured it out myself. See here:

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~springob/bsgratings.html

Looks like the ratings are pretty decent, for Sci Fi channel anyway. BSG is in the top 3 of Sci Fi programming every week and is number 1 more often than not.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:21 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

Agreed. It's been picking up steam since last season ended though, and I think the season 2 premiere is going to be huge. We've got a Venture Bros. thread if you want to discuss it further.

Don't forget my good buddy Jim Thirwell (of Foetus and Steroid Maximus infamy) does the soundtrack!

A great fuckin' show!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:51 pm

John-Locke wrote:Rescue me certainly doesn't get enough love around these parts, it best get a third season, I see no reason why not.

Its definitely getting a third season, I think its supposed to premier in June.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:53 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

Don't forget my good buddy Jim Thirwell (of Foetus and Steroid Maximus infamy) does the soundtrack!

A great fuckin' show!

No doubt, one of the best soundtracks on TV right now!

Do you really know J.G. in real life?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:43 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:WONDER SHOWZEN!

Word.

(Zombie, you also scribbled a hilarious bit about "I Like Commercials" in the Cars trailer TalkBack...the only one funnier was the spidermanfreak re-run...)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:49 pm

About the cast changes in MI-6/Spooks: I actually like it quite a bit. The changes in cast are handled really organically and they always fit the logic of the show... they are often times brilliantly heartbreaking too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:17 am

The Garbage Man wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

A great fuckin' show!

No doubt, one of the best soundtracks on TV right now!

Do you really know J.G. in real life?

Yep. I know him from doing shows and such up in NYC. He's a pretty cool guy, ackshully. He told me about this show he was composing musick for; this "Johnny Quest" kinda parody called the Venture Bros. Then, a year or so later: lo and behold!

Love the show, love the musick!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:19 am

buster00 wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:WONDER SHOWZEN!

Word.

(Zombie, you also scribbled a hilarious bit about "I Like Commercials" in the Cars trailer TalkBack...the only one funnier was the spidermanfreak re-run...)

Hey, thanx!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Yep. I know him from doing shows and such up in NYC. He's a pretty cool guy, ackshully. He told me about this show he was composing musick for; this "Johnny Quest" kinda parody called the Venture Bros. Then, a year or so later: lo and behold!

Awesome. I hear he just finished scoring his first episode of season 2.

If he happens to tell you any behind-the-scenes info, would you mind passing it along? :)
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:40 am

Another similarity between House and Holmes (and Batman!) is that they're socially pretty awkward. Bryan Singer I think pitched the show as "the Sherlock Holmes of doctors," so the similarities are indeed intentional.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shane on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:53 am

Doctor Who needs American love
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 am

And of course SCRUBS needs all the love a show can have!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:25 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Yep. I know him from doing shows and such up in NYC. He's a pretty cool guy, ackshully. He told me about this show he was composing musick for; this "Johnny Quest" kinda parody called the Venture Bros. Then, a year or so later: lo and behold!

Awesome. I hear he just finished scoring his first episode of season 2.

If he happens to tell you any behind-the-scenes info, would you mind passing it along? :)

Sure thing! Haven't talked to him in awhile, but next time theres something going on (probably another Loser's Lounge event) I will ask.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:55 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I really loved the rebroadcast of UK show Spooks on A&E. It is called MI-6 over here. It's not on now, but I believe another series is in the pipe. Anyway, I am the only person I know who has watched it. :( That's a cold and lonely feeling.

I loved Spooks as well, but the sad thing is A&E pushed it like it was 24 and then dropped it like it was hot.

With their aquisition of 24 reruns, they should put the two of them together would be a real good idea.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:21 am

I'm jumping on the Scrubs love wagon.... I posted (somewhere :roll: ) that I don't think Scrubs gets enough love.... I think it has a good following (I have seasons 1&2 on DVD) I think I am most disappointed with the fact that they have not won a single Emmy....

I also gotta admit that I still love King of Queens... I think Doug Heffernan's character is just too funny and I often find myself laughing out loud during this show...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:25 am

athenabodicea wrote:I'm jumping on the Scrubs love wagon.... I posted (somewhere :roll: ) that I don't think Scrubs gets enough love.... I think it has a good following (I have seasons 1&2 on DVD) I think I am most disappointed with the fact that they have not won a single Emmy....

That John C. McGinley hasn't been nominated for his performance even once is some sort of crime.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:26 am

Supernatural is actually pretty fun. If you miss X-Files or Angel...this isn't anywhere NEAR as good as those, but it what we got.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 am

Veronica Mars. Hands down the best show on TV.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

folks should check out "Hustle" on AMC, saturday nights at 10, about a team of con-artsists. check out the site for it here...

http://hustle.amctv.com/

good stuff.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:39 am

I have been curious about Hustle...it has that guy from Primart Colors in it. And the bad guy from BASEketball.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 am

I'm a big fan of the Venture Bros.! Me and my fiancee even do the whole "Go Team Venture!" thing instead of high-fiveing. Dean and Hank could definitely use more love.

More people need to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX! I wish Starved had gotten picked up for a second season too!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:53 am

Lando FUCKING Calrissian made a cameo on Scrubs tonight!

The only (living) black man in a galaxy far far away is still cooler than shit.

That is all.
Lord Voldemoo

Return to Coaxial