Saturday morning with my cereal and my TV

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Saturday morning with my cereal and my TV

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 pm

I could not find this anywhere else. What Saturday morning Show MADE you get up in the morning. What could you not miss or you would die. Was it on regular TV or were you a nick Fan (You can't do that on TV and todays special). Or maybe even USA's cartoon express(Hanna Barbara cartoons) What was it?

To help you out here are some of the lineups:
70's
80's
90's
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby cap on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:53 pm

When I was a kid the Superfriends was on at like 7:00am. Got up every week to watch. Then got my ass kicked out of the house by my mother at promptly 9:00am.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:54 pm

You nailed it in one dude - pretty much everything out the Hanna Barbara stable.

One that really got me was FANGFACE...which I'm hoping was better known in the US 'cause it was hardly ever on the air over here.

In think it must have been put on just once to fill an unplanned gap in the schedule...it was a cartoon about this kid who became a werewolf. Had a gang just like Scooby and Captain Caveman.

Loads of jokes basically revolving around him changing when it wasn't appropriate....and not being able to change when the "gang" needed him to. They took to carrying around a bid card with a picture of the Sun on one side, and a Full Moon on the other.

I loved it....and it never appeared on Telly again after that day....I got up every morning at 6am specifically to catch another episode, but it wasn't to be. Eventually I learned to let it go...until now of course.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:You nailed it in one dude - pretty much everything out the Hanna Barbara stable.

One that really got me was FANGFACE...which I'm hoping was better known in the US 'cause it was hardly ever on the air over here.

In think it must have been put on just once to fill an unplanned gap in the schedule...it was a cartoon about this kid who became a werewolf. Had a gang just like Scooby and Captain Caveman.

Loads of jokes basically revolving around him changing when it wasn't appropriate....and not being able to change when the "gang" needed him to. They took to carrying around a bid card with a picture of the Sun on one side, and a Full Moon on the other.

I loved it....and it never appeared on Telly again after that day....I got up every morning at 6am specifically to catch another episode, but it wasn't to be. Eventually I learned to let it go...until now of course.

I remember that

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Going Live with Phillip Schofield and Sarah green was superb!! Trevor and Simon were a highlight and Gordon the Goffa rules!!!, It became Live and Kick with Andy Peters and Emma forbes and was equally good.

Another favourite was Ghost Train, anyone remember that?, jenny Powell was on it.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm

I remember every day before school I'd get up at some ungodly hour, four-thirty, or five in the morning, and I'd put on the cartoons. I'd normally watch programs like The Smurfs and Thundercats, He-Man and all those Hannah Barbara staples.

Side-note: getting up that early is risky because, as I learnt one morning when I was in a mood for experimentation, when I switched the channel over there were some things on the other channels that a kid that age really shouldn't be watching (usually the tail-end of late-night movies like The Good Son and House).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:You nailed it in one dude - pretty much everything out the Hanna Barbara stable.

I remember that

Bob...thats beautiful man...thanks for memories!

(shurely shome mistake? Fangs for the memories? Anyone? Anyone? I'll get my coat)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:23 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Going Live with Phillip Schofield and Sarah green was superb!! Trevor and Simon were a highlight and Gordon the Goffa rules!!!, It became Live and Kick with Andy Peters and Emma forbes and was equally good.

Another favourite was Ghost Train, anyone remember that?, jenny Powell was on it.

Ahh. Lugz....there you are! You are the snake to my mongoose... :wink:

Not quite 200 posts then eh? You can have your pants back once forensics have finished with them....

Philip Schofield was excellent. Apart from showing me Spiderman and his Amazing Friends (Iceman and Firestar). I was laughed at by other X-readers cos I believed Firestar in that show when she claimed to have been an X-Man (cartoons that lie...who woulda thunk it?). Turns out she merely loafed on their premises having been saved from peril. The free-loading Ho!

Never got on with Sarah Green...ever. Loads of my mates spoke highly of her during her Blue Peter years...but she was too sycophantic for me, even back then.

Her face was an absolute picture on Live and Kicking though, when they had FIVE-STAR in the studio and someone phoned in live pretending to have a question, the question unfortunately turned out to be "Why are you so shit".

Double hilarity though, cos they hurriedly went to the next caller....who managed to stop laughing long enough to say "Yeh, I think you're shit too". As I remember it, they stopped taking calls at that point.

Best TV that year it was.

I actually found Gordon the Gopher entertaining....whereas Trevor and Simon were comedy legends (Swing Your Pants!)

Andi Peters annoyed me - his tearful farewell was hard to watch. Understandable but hard to watch. Too gushy. And he turned out to be My Lover too! He's quite a player these days, predominantly behind the scenes. He was the guy who brought back the "An Audience With..." shows.

Keenan and Kel. Brilliant.

Emma Forbes was the first time I really got confused between TV and reality. Truth be told, I'd still do her now....her Dad Brian was a reasonably accomplished Director BTW for those that didn't know...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:49 pm

I knew there was one I was missing - I was hooked on the double-bill that was THE BANANA SPLITS and SESAME STREET...but it was the Splits I preferred as a whole. Those races in those cars man...I thought they were great. I always wanted the elephant to win, but now I think about it I don't think he/she ever did - it always ended up a pissing contest between the two dogs (were there two? maybe one was a bear).

The Arabian Nights Cartoon...and an early cartoon forerunner of "HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS" were the hooks that kept me watching.

Oh...and Roger Ramjet a little later in life...I think that was my first ever experience of KNOWING there was something more to what I was watching than what was on the surface....most hilarious cartoon!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:51 pm

Wasn't Fang Face part of a Half Hour block with Plastic Man?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Wasn't Fang Face part of a Half Hour block with Plastic Man?

HA! PLASTIC MAN - I'd completely forgotten! I don't remember them being a half hour block though - was that in the UK?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:55 pm

THE BANANA SPLITS had the greatest theme music ever composed. Now everybody I want you all to sing this together: "Tra la la, la la la la Tra la la, la la la la". Now next time you're feeling low, you know exactly what to do to perk yourself right up (take some bennies, but failing that singing the Banana Splits theme will do).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:57 pm

I have no idea...seperatist side of the pond Plastic Man was halfhoured with something else and I thought it was Fang Face....
After looking it up Plastic Man was a Ruby Spears property while Fang Face was a HB....so no dice....

Stroll down memory lane
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bc1970 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Hanna/Barbera sucks ass.
Filmation rules.
CBS was a lock from '76 to '78.
God, an hour and a half of Bugs Bunny/Road Runner.

Saturday was it. Weekday mornings and afternoons, WTCG/TBS had cartoons/Little Rascals/3 Stooges for an hour, maybe two.

Kids are so spoiled now.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Gods yes Spiderman and his amazing friends, loved it.

I went to see Trevor & SimonLive in concert (comedy not singing) two years running in the early 90's, they were absolutley hilarious, I've seen Eddie Izard, Lee Evans and many other great comics and yet still these two dudes with their silly wigs and catchphrases were almost as good.

Captain Caveman

Any Brits remember Get Fresh with Gareth GAZ TOP Jones and Gilbert the Alien? Loved it.

I remember once seeing a HB cartoon called Schmoo (sp?) that I never caught again.

Spider Woman was pretty shit but it was on if you got up early enough on C4
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:08 pm

How could I forget the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show!
Consistently my entire childhood the only thing worth my saturday mornings. I'm glad that I buy those Looney Tunes boxsets considering TCM is the only channel that ever plays old WB cartoons anymore. (no longer on CBS, TBS, TNT or Cartoon Network.....I think Boomerang may but I don't get that one)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:10 pm

I recall liking something called the Shmoo. He could change shape and all that. Also dug the Hong Kong Phooey. And I also remember liking this sit-com style cartoon called Wait 'Till Your Father Gets Home. Anyone else remember any of these?
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:13 pm

MORPH- early morning repeats.
Last edited by Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:THE BANANA SPLITS had the greatest theme music ever composed.

One a banana, two a the bananas, three a the bananas, four!
Four of a the goddamn bananas make a the bunch anna so do a the many more, eh?
Over a the hill anna highway the banana buggies, they go
Coming alla to bring a you putzes the Banana Splits show, no?

Making uppa the mess of a the fun!
Lots of a the fun for alla you sorry bastards!

Tra la la, la la la la, tra la la, la la la la

Four a the bananas, three a the bananas, two bananas anna one
All a the goddamn bananas, they playing inna the sun,
Flipping like a the pancakes, anna popping like a the corks,
Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper anna, Snork

Lots of a the fun for alla you goddamn putzes!

Two of a the bananas, anna four bananas, one banana, thr.. HOLY CRAPPA how inna the hell am I suppose a to keep a track of alla the goddamn bananas, eh??
Swinging like a the bunch of a goddamn monkeys hanging from a the tree, eh?
Hey there alla you putzes, won't a you come along anna see?
How much like a the Banana Splits alla you bastards can be, no?

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 pm

The Schmoo definitely he even joined up with Fred and Barney on the FLintstones when they were cops for a while. Hong Kong Phooey I completely dug. I remember seeing Wait Till Your Father Gets home maybe 8 years ago on Cartoon Network real late at night followed by Roman Holidays which was like the Flinstones except set some time during the Roman empire.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:15 pm

Later on in the day on Saturday they had Dangermouse and Countduckula back to back and I never missed those. No one I knew but me liked then over here in Texas though.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:THE BANANA SPLITS had the greatest theme music ever composed.

Two of a the bananas, anna four bananas, one banana, thr.. HOLY CRAPPA how inna the hell am I suppose a to keep a track of alla the goddamn bananas, eh??

IPAMPILASH!!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 pm

John-Locke wrote:Gods yes Spiderman and his amazing friends, loved it.

I went to see Trevor & SimonLive in concert (comedy not singing) two years running in the early 90's, they were absolutley hilarious, I've seen Eddie Izard, Lee Evans and many other great comics and yet still these two dudes with their silly wigs and catchphrases were almost as good.

Captain Caveman

Any Brits remember Get Fresh with Gareth GAZ TOP Jones and Gilbert the Alien? Loved it.

I remember once seeing a HB cartoon called Schmoo (sp?) that I never caught again.

Spider Woman was pretty shit but it was on if you got up early enough on C4

YES! I remember GET FRESH. CENTURIONS man...they rocked! Though the Green dude never got enough airtime IMO. Hard to say "I'll summon the helicopter" when you just know ACE is going to go "OK then...I'm going with the supersonic Jet Fighter".

Weren't very good at sharing, were they? :wink:

And I remember one day GAZ hitting Gilbert and the latter immediately deadpanning to the screen "Ow, those were my Gonads". Nobody was able to say anything for about a minute after that, they were all pissing themselves so much.

And yet, as I type it it just doesn't nseem funny now.

and also Adrian Mole himself had a co-presenting credit on that show too....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Later on in the day on Saturday they had Dangermouse and Countduckula back to back and I never missed those. No one I knew but me liked then over here in Texas though.

I loved both of those especially Dangermouse.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:17 pm

monorail77 wrote:I recall liking something called the Shmoo. He could change shape and all that.

Alla you goddamn young know-it-alla putzes, you prolly too young a to remember a the Shmoo, eh? He came from a the "Li'l Abner" funny strips inna the papers, no? Way back inna the late 40s, eh?

It could a lay a the eggs anna give a the milk, anna iffa you cooked it, it gonna to taste like a your favorite food, eh? Whatever you like!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:18 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Wait Till Your Father Gets home

I hated that show just for the theme song.

Wait till you father gets
untill your father gets
untill your father gets home.

Bugged me.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Yeah it seemed to repeat maybe slightly this side of infinity before the show started.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:19 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Holy crappa, eh? You know you should do a cover album of your own. It can be called: Dino De Laurentiis sings the songs of Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. You wouldn't even have to sing, just do it William Shatner style, just with your added Dinosity.
Last edited by Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Heheh... iffa you like a the CBS inna the 70s then a you prolly like a the Shazam, Isis, Bigfoot anna the Wildboy, Ark II, anna alla those other crazy live-action shows, eh?

Anna donna even a get a the Dino started onna the Sid anna Marty Krofft, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:21 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:You wouldn't even have to sing, just do it William Shatner style, just with your guinnea twist.

Holy crappa what's a with a the racial slur, eh? Where's a the respect??
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:You wouldn't even have to sing, just do it William Shatner style, just with your guinnea twist.

Holy crappa what's a with a the racial slur, eh? Where's a the respect??

Sorry :oops: I picked it up from Puzo's The Godfather/Sicilian. Consider it duly edited.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:23 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Later on in the day on Saturday they had Dangermouse and Countduckula back to back and I never missed those. No one I knew but me liked then over here in Texas though.

I loved both of those especially Dangermouse.

Yeah me too. I have the box sets now.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Dino don't forget Electro Woman and Dyna Girl
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:29 pm

I loved many 80s kids TV shows, but there was only one cartoon which had the power to make me wake up and walk, zombie-like downstairs to the TV at 6:30 on a saturday morning:

And just in case Pacino mocks me: yes, I realise now that the whole thing was a cynical marketing exercise, but it rocked my tiny childhood brain at the time!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Holy crappa, eh? You know you should do a cover album of your own. It can be called: Dino De Laurentiis sings the songs of Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. You wouldn't even have to sing, just do it William Shatner style, just with your added Dinosity.

I cannot wait for this album. Dino is the Man!
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:34 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Heheh... iffa you like a the CBS inna the 70s then a you prolly like a the Shazam, Isis, Bigfoot anna the Wildboy, Ark II, anna alla those other crazy live-action shows, eh?

Anna donna even a get a the Dino started onna the Sid anna Marty Krofft, eh?

Holy Crap. I totally forgot about those! I loved Shazam - travelling around with that old guy in a leisure suit in the Winnebago (actually that sounds kinda creepy now)

And "Oh Mighty Isis!!" Classic

And Bigfoot and Wildboy, I had *completely* forgotton about. Great stuff.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Anyone remember the Shirt Tails? Animals wearing shirts that light up with things that they were thinking. No one can tell me what they did. Even wikipedia falls short. Everyone just remembers the shirts but nothing else.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Wait Till Your Father Gets home

I hated that show just for the theme song.

Wait till you father gets
untill your father gets
untill your father gets home.

Bugged me.

Yeah, it wa annoying, but I recall it had a cool horn section.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:40 pm

bc1970 wrote:Hanna/Barbera sucks ass.

amen, brother!
i am, and have been for years, a staunch and militant anti hanna-barberian. they single handedly (or would it be double handedly?) churned out the single most staggering amount of garbage/rehash/ripoff series of all time. dont get me wrong, a few of their contributions were quality, and their importance to animation on a whole might be more significant than any one thing they churned out, as they were arguably the most prolific american animation studio of all times, with the one lone exception possibly of disney. that being said, show me one hanna barbera character with the exception of scooby doo, and ill be a monkeys uncle. rant over

saturday morning favs, eh?

pac man
pee wees playhouse
hulk hogans rock and wrestling
richie rich
plastic man
superfriends
spiderman and his amazing friends
scooby doo
thundarr the barbarian
smurfs
kids incorporated
rubik the amazing cube
TURBO TEEN
dungeons & dragons
Mr.T
gummi bears
alivn & the chipmunks
punky brewster

SO MANY! too much, waaaayy too much time spent in front of the tv as a kid. no wonder im so jaded.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I loved many 80s kids TV shows, but there was only one cartoon which had the power to make me wake up and walk, zombie-like downstairs to the TV at 6:30 on a saturday morning:

And just in case Pacino mocks me: yes, I realise now that the whole thing was a cynical marketing exercise, but it rocked my tiny childhood brain at the time!

awesome wheeljack animated gif! i bought the entire series of the original transformers on dvd. it was a labour of love. so worth it.
KREMZEEK!!!!!!!!!!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:47 pm

Brocktune wrote:awesome wheeljack animated gif! i bought the entire series of the original transformers on dvd. it was a labour of love. so worth it.
KREMZEEK!!!!!!!!!!

Me too, bro! Series one was when all the best stuff happened, too! I kind of lost interest after the first couple of seasons, but I guess that's also because I was getting older, and kids who still played with toys past about the age of 12 tended to get beaten up at my school.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Brocktune wrote:
saturday morning favs, eh?

thundarr the barbarian

YESSS! This was really a cool show. Lots of violence and this weird hybrid of magic and technology in some post-apocalyptic world. Loved it.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby bc1970 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Loved the live action stuff, Dino. Hated when they switched Captain Marvels. Nick at Nite ran them late recently. Sid & Marty Kroftt gets a thread of their own.

I give HB a hard time, but Jonny Quest is theirs, though not Sat. morning fare by the time I got it. HB is responsible for The Splits as well as the KISS movie. So, they have their moments. USA Cartoon Express was almost all HB.

I can't believe more Filmation stuff isn't on DVD. Flash Gordon is available in the UK. not fair. Their Tarzan was great. The Star Trek series is coming out soon, and animated Planet of the Apes is part of the supersizebananna box.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Dungeons and Dragons was a cool cartoon. didn't it have amongst other vocie talent that guy from "Charles in Charge?"

Yes, yes I believe it did....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Brocktune wrote:

amen, brother!
i am, and have been for years, a staunch and militant anti hanna-barberian. they single handedly (or would it be double handedly?) churned out the single most staggering amount of garbage/rehash/ripoff series of all time. dont get me wrong, a few of their contributions were quality, and their importance to animation on a whole might be more significant than any one thing they churned out, as they were arguably the most prolific american animation studio of all times, with the one lone exception possibly of disney. that being said, show me one hanna barbera character with the exception of scooby doo, and ill be a monkeys uncle. rant over

Show you one character with the exception of Scooby Doo? Do you mean an original character who wasn't a caricature like Yogi:Art Carney? Or do you mean a really good classic character/characters?

Tom and Jerry perhaps or how about Johnny Quest and his whole gang or the Jetsons which were not a "ripoff" like Topcat or the Flintstones. Admittedly they turned out alot of quickie stuff like Space Ghost, Dino Boy etc etc but HB made some quite famous cartoons. I don't know if the Simpsons would have had a shot had it not been for The Flintstones in prime time years earlier.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 pm

The Real Ghostbusters.....though I think that was more of an afternoon cartoon until syndication.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

amen, brother!

Show you one character with the exception of Scooby Doo? Do you mean an original character who wasn't a caricature like Yogi:Art Carney? Or do you mean a really good classic character/characters?

Tom and Jerry perhaps or how about Johnny Quest and his whole gang or the Jetsons which were not a "ripoff" like Topcat or the Flintstones. Admittedly they turned out alot of quickie stuff like Space Ghost, Dino Boy etc etc but HB made some quite famous cartoons. I don't know if the Simpsons would have had a shot had it not been for The Flintstones in prime time years earlier.

wasnt tom & jerry mgm?
the jetsons were just a ripoff of the flintstones, which was just a ripoff of the honeymooners. ripping off their own stuff was just as much of a hallmark of theirs, as ripping of celebrity personas. take for example their glut of 1970's crime shows that all ripped off scooby doo. the chan clan, the phunky phantom, inch high private eye, jabberjaw, josie and the pussycats, speed buggy etc. the list goes on and on.
they did indeed make some famous cartoons, but to that i respond that jennifer lopez is also famous. very famous. and for what? famousness is not indicative of quality.
just because the flintstones were the first cartoon in primetime, doesnt mean they were the only one. maybe the only successful one until the simpsons. but i dont think the flintstones success has anything to do with the simpsons. the simpsons succeeded on it own merits

johnny quest and scooby doo are the only ones ill give you, but only because i cant tell you what ralph crumb comic they stole scooby from, and i have no idea where they stole johnny quest from. but im sure hes lifted from something else.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:15 pm

Okay it was Sunday Morning over here but I have fond memories of The Gummi Bears

Dangermouse & Count Duckula were both after school shows over here, I had no idea they ever crossed the pond, they were both good but Dangermouse was excellent.

Visionaries, D&D, Centurions all Badass.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:18 pm

They started Tom and Jerry at MGM. Johnny as far as I know was there's designed by I think Danny Wilde.

The Jetsons shares next to nothing in common with the Flintstones and definitely nothing in common with the Honemooners (though the FLintstones is an obvious Honeymooners ripoff). George ad Jane don't have neighbors they hand out with, The Flintstones don't have two kids (originally no kid) let alone a teenage daughter and elementary school aged boy. George wasn't running get rich quick schemes every week. Fred wasn't constantly thrust into spying for his boss on a rival gravel pit every other week like George. The Flinstones didn't have a maid. I guess the best similarity is they both had "dogs".
The Flintstones was a Honeymooners knock off until they both had kids then it sorta roke out on it's own (it didn't follow those later Honeymonners in Miami episodes). The Jetsons was a family sitcom maybe closest to something like Make Room for Daddy or Father Knows Best.....

Their biggest thing was probably opening up prime time on network Television for animation in the US. I totally agree with their ripping off Scooby for all those other crime solving teenage kids hooked up with a(n) alien, Shark, Cat, Gorilla, Talking Car wahtever.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:19 pm

John-Locke wrote:Okay it was Sunday Morning over here but I have fond memories of The Gummi Bears

Dangermouse & Count Duckula were both after school shows over here, I had no idea they ever crossed the pond, they were both good but Dangermouse was excellent.

Visionaries, D&D, Centurions all Badass.

Nice one, Dangermouse w/ David "Dell Boy" Jason was genius. I'm not sure if it'd translate all that great abroad, but I've heard it mentioned on the other side of the world, so I guess it did. The thing is I think they changed the voice for the American versions, I might be wrong though. If that's true however, well...I think it's about time we re-dub all those Clint Eastwood films with Benny Hill's voice.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Next

Return to Coaxial