Saturday morning with my cereal and my TV

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:21 pm

I remember Danger Mouse and Count Duckula both on at night on Nickelodean in the US....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:23 pm

For me it was Sid & Marty Kroft.

Were talken Sigmund The Seamonster, Shazam, Land of The Lost, Electra woman and Dyna Girl, Dr. Shrinker.

I also loved the Electric Company. There was a show called New Zoo Review i was hooked on like crack
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 pm

How could I forget Land of the Lost.

Wasn't HeMan on The Cartoon Express for a while?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Brocktune wrote:I respond that jennifer lopez is also famous. very famous. and for what?

She's famous because she was fantastically sexy in Out of Sight, did a great Letterman interview where she flirted well and sang her shit song live resonably well, then she got to the top of the charts , wore a green dress that showed a lot of flesh and the rest is history.

Fame and or Power corrupts/makes people lazy baby, same thing that happened to Hannah Barbera, you take less risks and follow the recipe of past successes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:27 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:How could I forget Land of the Lost.

Wasn't HeMan on The Cartoon Express for a while?

Yes he was....i remember He-man being an after school show though
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:29 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
John-Locke wrote: Okay it was Sunday Morning over here but I have fond memories of The Gummi Bears

Dangermouse & Count Duckula were both after school shows over here, I had no idea they ever crossed the pond, they were both good but Dangermouse was excellent.

Visionaries, D&D, Centurions all Badass.

Nice one, Dangermouse w/ David "Dell Boy" Jason was genius. I'm not sure if it'd translate all that great abroad, but I've heard it mentioned on the other side of the world, so I guess it did. The thing is I think they changed the voice for the American versions, I might be wrong though. If that's true however, well...I think it's about time we re-dub all those Clint Eastwood films with Benny Hill's voice.

It was Bob and Kaga I think that mentioned they watched them both, they'd be able to tell us if the voices were American or not.

Going back to after school shows I always had a fondness for both SuperTed, Family Ness & Bananaman.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm not joking, but I'd completely, 100%, absolutely forgotten that Bananaman existed. Wowee. He was like Adam West's Batman crossed with Desperate Dan (but instead of eating pies all the time to give him strength he ate bananas). Shiyaat, that was a memory I forgot existed. Just move my thanks from the Dangermouse post over to here and we'll be settled.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:35 pm

Oh yeah Bananaman as well....I don't believe the voices were Americanized. I seem to remember having trouble trying to understand what Dangermouse was saying sometimes due to the accent.....this may be the haze of decades though.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
John-Locke wrote: Okay it was Sunday Morning over here but I have fond memories of The Gummi Bears

Dangermouse & Count Duckula were both after school shows over here, I had no idea they ever crossed the pond, they were both good but Dangermouse was excellent.

Visionaries, D&D, Centurions all Badass.

Nice one, Dangermouse w/ David "Dell Boy" Jason was genius. I'm not sure if it'd translate all that great abroad, but I've heard it mentioned on the other side of the world, so I guess it did. The thing is I think they changed the voice for the American versions, I might be wrong though. If that's true however, well...I think it's about time we re-dub all those Clint Eastwood films with Benny Hill's voice.

It was Bob and Kaga I think that mentioned they watched them both, they'd be able to tell us if the voices were American or not.

Going back to after school shows I always had a fondness for both SuperTed, Family Ness & Bananaman.

Um..no the voices were not dubbed. Same voice actors. Same jokes. Nothing changed. David Jason, Terry Scott, Edward Kelsey, and Brian Trueman
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:
bc1970 wrote:Hanna/Barbera sucks ass.

amen, brother!
i am, and have been for years, a staunch and militant anti hanna-barberian. they single handedly (or would it be double handedly?) churned out the single most staggering amount of garbage/rehash/ripoff series of all time. dont get me wrong, a few of their contributions were quality, and their importance to animation on a whole might be more significant than any one thing they churned out, as they were arguably the most prolific american animation studio of all times, with the one lone exception possibly of disney. that being said, show me one hanna barbera character with the exception of scooby doo, and ill be a monkeys uncle. rant over

saturday morning favs, eh?

pac man
pee wees playhouse
hulk hogans rock and wrestling
richie rich
plastic man
superfriends
spiderman and his amazing friends
scooby doo
thundarr the barbarian
smurfs
kids incorporated
rubik the amazing cube
TURBO TEEN
dungeons & dragons
Mr.T
gummi bears
alivn & the chipmunks
punky brewster

SO MANY! too much, waaaayy too much time spent in front of the tv as a kid. no wonder im so jaded.

I don't get it you say they suck and then name

richie rich
scooby doo
smurfs
pac man

As shows you like. They are all Hanna-Barbera. Plus Hb basically became Cartoon Network Studios.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I don't get it you say they suck and then name

richie rich
scooby doo
smurfs
pac man

just because i watched them then, doesnt mean that they didnt or dont suck. dont even get me started on how terrible richie rich really is.

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:As shows you like. They are all Hanna-Barbera. Plus Hb basically became Cartoon Network Studios.

i know. they also produce a lot of stuff i dont like. although, occasionally, they do knock one out of the park (for me) ie: the new he-man, clone wars, some of the adult swim stuff, duck dodgers etc. but, (and i know this will sound funny, as its basically the hb network) in addition to cartoon network, i have been a boomerang subscriber since day one. thats part of why i think hb is so weak.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I don't get it you say they suck and then name

richie rich
scooby doo
smurfs
pac man

just because i watched them then, doesnt mean that they didnt or dont suck. dont even get me started on how terrible richie rich really is.

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:As shows you like. They are all Hanna-Barbera. Plus Hb basically became Cartoon Network Studios.

i know. they also produce a lot of stuff i dont like. although, occasionally, they do knock one out of the park (for me) ie: the new he-man, clone wars, some of the adult swim stuff, duck dodgers etc. but, (and i know this will sound funny, as its basically the hb network) in addition to cartoon network, i have been a boomerang subscriber since day one. thats part of why i think hb is so weak.

Well I was going to question the RR thing but I figured to each his own. The only problem I have wiht the HB is that once they had a good thin they made about 100 clones of it. FangFace. Jabber Jaw. Josie and the Pussy Cats. No one needs that many Scoobys.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:54 pm

MUPPET BABIES

Loved that show

Punky Brewster??? God that show was weird, theres a blast from the past Brocktune.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 am

I thought Duck Dodgers was Warner Bros like Justice League?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 am

For the younger crowd, who remembers that cartoon where Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzsky solved crime using their sports powers?

HUH?
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:42 pm

John-Locke wrote:MUPPET BABIES

Loved that show

That is soooo much better then the crap that is Baby Looney Toons. I get a stomach ache thinking about it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:13 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

Loved that show

That is soooo much better then the crap that is Baby Looney Toons. I get a stomach ache thinking about it.

Everything done to the Looney Tuns (with maybe the exception of Duck Dodgers and Roger Rabbit) since the mid 60's has been awful.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

Loved that show

Everything done to the Looney Tuns (with maybe the exception of Duck Dodgers and Roger Rabbit) since the mid 60's has been awful.

Very Very true.

Carrotblanca? I mean come on...... :roll:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:16 pm

Space Jam and that tripe Back in Action from a few years ago....my eyes!!!!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:33 am

Hey, what's Saturday morning without a big fatty bowl of cereal?

A few words from our sponsors:

Andre the Giant infiltrates the Honeycomb Hideout. No survivors.

Nin-Ten-Do! It tastes like soggy plumber shit!

Cookie Crook, will you ever learn? Cookie Crisp is part of this nutritious breakfast, but it's difficult to fence for drug money.

A day's supply of Vitamin Ghey in each bowl of Rainbow Brite's crunchy factory-floor sweepings. Hey, Brite, your head's too fuckin' big.

This one for Twinkles Cereal goes waaay back. Isn't that the same VO guy who used to narrate the "Underdog" shorts?

Sugar Bear doesn't give a fuck about the elderly. He's the mack, straight up.

Smack fiend Dig 'Em shocks the nerds at the Bowl-O-Rama. They smuggled breakfast in under their bell bottoms.

And I know you cut the cardboard mask out from the back of your C-3POs. I'm still wearing mine. I'm Chewbacca!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Thats grrrrrreat!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RockyDennis on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:40 pm

I used to love Johnny Bench's "Baseball Bunch" They would have a special guest star each week and Tommy Lasorda was the Wizard. I don't remember much else, but I do know that that was the last show I was allowed to watch before my father would make me go and get some fresh air.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Wow, that schedule brings back memories.

I generally slept through most of the cartoons (apparently I was a narcoleptic child or something) but I loved Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Pound Puppies, Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice and Pee-Wee's Playground. I forgot there was an Alf cartoon, and I know I watched that, and Garfield.

I never saw Droids or Dungeons and Dragons though, those must have been the ones I slept through. I didn't even know of their existence, actually, or I would have probably been watching.

In the 90's, I was really into the X-Men and Ninja Turtles.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:43 pm

You mean Pee Wee's Playhouse....It's going to be on Adult Swm July 10th. I can't wait.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:55 pm

I always stayed in my pyjamas all day because timmy mallet said to, much to the annoyance of my mother. He didn't use his influence well.

Say bleeuurrgh
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 am

RockyDennis wrote:I used to love Johnny Bench's "Baseball Bunch" They would have a special guest star each week and Tommy Lasorda was the Wizard. I don't remember much else, but I do know that that was the last show I was allowed to watch before my father would make me go and get some fresh air.

Wow, I forgot all about "Baseball Bunch"! I used to watch that...where I lived, it came on right before "This Week in Baseball" with Mel Allen.

"How aBOUT that?"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:57 am

Any one else think that they should use Captain Caveman on the new Geico "So easy a caveman could do it" commercials?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Flumm on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:49 pm

I feel like I've let you down in some way not posting in this thread before, Bob.

Or done you a small favour, I guess.

Mmm, either way, I think this has to be one of my favourite threadtitle/threadtopic/threadposter combinations.

(should anyone require that information from me in the near future and I am unable to provide it to them)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Saturday morning with my cereal and my TV

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Crest Gel Toothpaste Cavity Creeps Commercial
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm

TheButcher wrote:Crest Gel Toothpaste Cavity Creeps Commercial

waked and baked to that commercial more than a couple times....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:35 am

Kinda gives us an idea that video game properties becoming bad movies had its roots somewhere.

I kinda miss this especially Pitfall Harry.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Something tells me that this might have originated in the USA, but since 50% of all cartoons in my childhood were made by Hanna-Barbera (The other 50% were from DIC), we got a weekly Saturday morning game show about them.

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 am

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends - A Firestar Is Born

Incredible Hulk 1982
Incredible Hulk: 1982 - When Monsters Meet
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:43 am

crying indian man doesn't even come close to representing my sadness. even original crying dawson doesn't cover it.
more like this times infinity:

kids these days don't know what they're missing. hong kong phooey, pac-man, dungeons and dragons.... that shit was real. now all they've got are ipads and xboxes and shit. poor kids.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 pm

Every couple months at my local grindhouse cinema, they have a Saturday Morning Cartoon Party, where they show three hours of retro cartoons with oldschool commercials mixed in and serve free cereal. It's a huge hit. The place is always packed. I've gone a couple times and it's fun. I never really watched a lot of cartoons when I was a kid, so most of this stuff is new to me. I finally saw an episode of G.I. JOE. I don't think this show was that big outside of USA (for pretty obvious reasons), so it's not that crazy that I had never seen the cartoon. It was fucking hysterical! I loved it!

A lot of the cartoons they dig up are really strange. They actually had an animated series to promote Gary Coleman for some reason. In this series, Coleman was an angel who had to come down to Earth and do good deeds.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Every couple months at my local grindhouse cinema, they have a Saturday Morning Cartoon Party, where they show three hours of retro cartoons with oldschool commercials mixed in and serve free cereal. It's a huge hit. The place is always packed. I've gone a couple times and it's fun.

Where do you live!? The guy who owns my local cinema doesn't even know who Miyazaki is.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 am

TheBaxter wrote:crying indian man doesn't even come close to representing my sadness. even original crying dawson doesn't cover it.

My biggest takeaway here, and I posted this on Facebook when I threw up Butcher's link, is that today's kids will never experience the "magic" of Saturday mornings that kids who grew up during those schedules did. I mean, Saturday morning was an EVENT!!! Yes, we didn't have to go to school, but it was all about waking up to watch the cartoons. My local stations even showed an hour or two of cartoons before the actual network lineup began, so I was always the first one up on Saturdays in my family.

Spandau Belly wrote:A lot of the cartoons they dig up are really strange. They actually had an animated series to promote Gary Coleman for some reason. In this series, Coleman was an angel who had to come down to Earth and do good deeds.

I actually remember watching that! I didn't watch it all the time, but as a Diff'rent Strokes fan at the time, I watched it every now and then.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 am

Ribbons wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Every couple months at my local grindhouse cinema, they have a Saturday Morning Cartoon Party, where they show three hours of retro cartoons with oldschool commercials mixed in and serve free cereal. It's a huge hit. The place is always packed. I've gone a couple times and it's fun.

Where do you live!? The guy who owns my local cinema doesn't even know who Miyazaki is.

This is it here.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:16 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Every couple months at my local grindhouse cinema, they have a Saturday Morning Cartoon Party, where they show three hours of retro cartoons with oldschool commercials mixed in and serve free cereal. It's a huge hit.

can you show up and watch the commercials while wearing your underoos? because it's just not the same unless i'm in my spiderman underoos.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:15 am

I dunno, people do some crazy things there. But if a grow man shows up alone in his knickers, they might not let him in. Probably best to put a houserobe overtop and maybe have some PJ bottoms in the car just in case?

One time they were showing an X-Men movie and giving out prizes for people who showed up dressed as a character. Some dude just duct taped a bunch of steak knives to his knuckles and said he was Wolverine. They told him he had to take those off. So there are limits.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:01 pm

my Saturday morning consisted of waking up around 5 or 6 to watch Get Smart and Hogan's Heroes followed by cartoons until 11, then WWF wrestling, before finally going out to go play. The only time this varied was the once a month Saturday morning my dad and i would go out to the local diner for biscuits and gravy. Summer SUCKED because there weren't new cartoons. I remember looking forward to the (IIRC) Friday night in the fall when they would give you a sneak peek at what new cartoons were coming or what the new season held in store.

Good times.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:00 pm

I can understand the nostalgic feelings when reading this story, but the truth is that kids these days have about a billion more shows on TV for them to watch, 24/7. Cartoons, live action, live action PLUS cartoons, puppets, etc etc ad infinitum. When my daughters are in their 40s, will they be saying to their kids "I remember watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Henry Hugglemonster on saturday mornings on Nick Jr"? They sure will...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:33 pm

so sorry wrote:When my daughters are in their 40s, will they be saying to their kids "I remember watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Henry Hugglemonster on saturday mornings on Nick Jr"? They sure will...

No they won't, because those very shows are on multiple times a day throughout the week, further devaluing the uniqueness of Saturday Morning Cartoons. Saturday morning is now what you make of it. And the worst of it? My oldest would rather spend time watching videos on YouTube.

And My Little Pony is on Hub and Henry is on Disney, not Nick. :D

..... I stopped watching Paw Patrol to type that. :oops:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Well at least your paying attention! I get all my kids channels kids up :(

And while we are on a tangent, my girls recently discovered YouTube for videos and it's almost all they do when they get iPad time. It drives me fucking nuts. Ask me to "play" on the iPad just to watch videos? And we all know how easy it is for YouTube video suggestions to lead to stuff kids shouldn't be watching....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:46 pm

so sorry wrote:And while we are on a tangent, my girls recently discovered YouTube for videos and it's almost all they do when they get iPad time. It drives me fucking nuts. Ask me to "play" on the iPad just to watch videos? And we all know how easy it is for YouTube video suggestions to lead to stuff kids shouldn't be watching....

This is EXACTLY what my kids do, too!! This is a bizarre sign that this next generation will be a lot different...... and a sign that we are becoming grumpy old men!!! :lol:

Oldest Boy (6) watches:
-Toy reviews (Transformers, Lego Chima, etc.). Seriously. Toy reviews. He loves watching this kid.
-Episodes of TV shows (Lego Chima, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.)
-Videos of people playing games (Lego video games, Mario video games. Used to watch Minecraft games but most of those had swearing in the commentary so we banned him)

Girl (5) watches:
-Toy reviews
-Frozen song videos (any language, live/animated, etc. etc.)
-Videos of girls playing/cooking/socializing/etc. Weird to type out, but it's just girl shit. Emphasis on shit.

Youngest Boy (3) watches:
-Angry Birds, Angry Birds, Angry Birds - toons, toys, candy, homemade movies, videos of people playing the games, etc. etc. etc.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:16 am

toy reviews? WTF!

when i was a kid, my version of a toy review was, if my parents bought me a toy and i didn't like it, i smashed it. now THAT'S a toy review.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:04 am

Just as bad as the toy review videos are the videos of (adults?) playing with them. Like they are making their own episodes of the show the toys come from. One girl in particular does a ton of Pony/Frozen videos...her voice is so grating. damn kids these days.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:32 am

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:And while we are on a tangent, my girls recently discovered YouTube for videos and it's almost all they do when they get iPad time. It drives me fucking nuts. Ask me to "play" on the iPad just to watch videos? And we all know how easy it is for YouTube video suggestions to lead to stuff kids shouldn't be watching....

This is EXACTLY what my kids do, too!! This is a bizarre sign that this next generation will be a lot different...... and a sign that we are becoming grumpy old men!!! :lol:

Oldest Boy (6) watches:
-Videos of people playing games (Lego video games, Mario video games. Used to watch Minecraft games but most of those had swearing in the commentary so we banned him)

I... might ALSO watch those videos. :oops: Old-school speed runs for the win!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

Fievel wrote: Weird to type out, but it's just girl shit. Emphasis on shit.

I... might ALSO watch those videos. :oops:

On the other hand we might be talking about different things
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial