Monkey Returns

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Monkey Returns

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:40 am

The London Evening Standard wrote:Monkey, the most successful Japanese television drama of all time, is to return to British small screens. The cult show - which won a legion of fans after it was comically dubbed for BBC2 in 1981 - has been remade by its creators Fuji TV. The new 11 episode run is expected to air later this year starring singer Shingo Katori

I can't imagine it having the charm of the original. Interesting though.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:42 am

Somebody mention monkeys?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:46 am

You sound pretty excited.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:52 am

This brought a smile to my face...I remember watching this every week as a kid. that end song used to make me feel sad without ever understanding why.

I hope they find room in it for at least one cameo for Toshiyuki Nishida, who played Pigsy in the first two seasons. I found out a couple of years back that he became a HUGE star in Japan. Last time I visited OZ there was not one but two of his films being shown on my Japan airlines flight.

One was the story of VHS' triumph over Betamax...the other he starred as "Mediocre Salary Man" in Fishing Stories #8 (or something similar).

He ruled that show!

"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:55 am

Is this the same one that aired in Asia in the late 90's???

It didn't look very well made if it is that one, I caught an advert for it when I was in Bali, looked really cheap with none of the originals charm.

What Monkey needs is a big budget Movie or something.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 am

Just to remind you of this here thread (which unfortunately bombed): Click here for more Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and Trippitaka
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 am

Pigsy was indeed the best thing about the show. Did anybody see that "lost episode" of Monkey which was never shown in the UK, but the original voice actors reunited to do the dubbing, a year or two ago?

It was fantastic, except the guy who did Pigsy clearly couldn't be arsed to do it properly, so everybody sounded right except Pigsy, which was a tad depressing!

If they use the original Godiego music, I might watch. Otherwise, I'll make do with the DVDs. And they're re-showing the Water Margin on one of the ITV freeview channels, which is also damn cool!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:58 am

John-Locke wrote:Is this the same one that aired in Asia in the late 90's???

Nah, this is brand new, good for you.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 am

To tell you the truth, as much as I adored the first season of Monkey, when the dragon-horse turned into a man and Pigsy was replaced I was so shocked I couldn't watch it anymore. How can you imagine anyone other than The Real Pigsy falling down the well like that? That's definitely in my top 3 programs all the same.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:05 am

btw Seppu - I meant to write this on your Monkey thread at the time:

The line is "The funkiest Monkey that ever popped"

Some people say it's "punkiest", but I'm not so sure.

Trust me. I know the song very well....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 am

OK well it's been a few years since I last caught it so now there's a Complete Season set available (it was split into two before, and was mighty expensive) I'll have to check that out. I guess I rewrote my memory because popping monkeys is a strange image I didn't want to conjur.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:13 am

Believe me mate, I spent most of my life thinking it was "monkey is funky" - then I had what I can only describe as an epiphany, whilst listening to the song on my walkman.....:oops:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:19 am

vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:25 am

So will his cloud be cotton wool or CGI cotton wool?

EDIT - Sounds good though, cannot wait for a nostalgia trip - of sorts.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:29 am

Anyone ever read the book Monkey is based on, it' really more a collection of folk tales and myths, but it's fantastic reading.

MONKEY!!!!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:49 am

TonyWilson wrote:Anyone ever read the book Monkey is based on, it' really more a collection of folk tales and myths, but it's fantastic reading.

MONKEY!!!!

I loved the pilot...where you got to see them all before they were cast down. Monkey taking a wizz against what he thought was a pole...only to find out it was one of Buddha's fingers......

D'OH!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:15 am

Haha - the pilot is frickin amazing. I love that bit when Monkey launches into a scrap with the immortal words "I love to fight!"

And to answer Tony's question - yep, I've certainly read a version of the original fable. It's called Into the West, or something like that, right? I think it's about 500 years old, and was essentially pinched from Indian mythology. Loads of cultures have Monkey Gods - but only one can fly on clouds! From what I remember, the pilot episode ties in with the book quite closely
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:25 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Haha - the pilot is frickin amazing. I love that bit when Monkey launches into a scrap with the immortal words "I love to fight!"

And to answer Tony's question - yep, I've certainly read a version of the original fable. It's called Into the West, or something like that, right? I think it's about 500 years old, and was essentially pinched from Indian mythology. Loads of cultures have Monkey Gods - but only one can fly on clouds! From what I remember, the pilot episode ties in with the book quite closely

Do you remember Pigsy's cloud? It used to crack me up....it was the VESPA to Monkey's Pink Cadillac. All that was missing were the words "Parp! Parp!" as it chugged through the skies...funky Harley style drop handlebars too....classic.

Tried to find a pic of his cloud on the 'net and failed...but found his character bio thus:

Character: Pigsy
Other Names: Pig spirit,
Stupid swine,
Lord hog,
Martial of the Heavenly host.
Features: Large, pointed pig ears,
Pig-snouted on occasions,
Able to consume vast quantities of food in mere seconds.
Weapon: Muck rake.
Skills: Bojutsu,
Not being able to woo any female.
Traits: Greed, lust and strength.
Phrase: 'Look! A woman!'
Details: Zhu Ba Jie (or Ba Jie for short) translates as Pig or Piggy, but for the TV show the more catchy name Pigsy was used. Pigsy, who used to be a General in Heaven, has a penchant for beautiful women and made a big mistake by getting a bit too friendly with the Moon Princess. The angry Gods punished him by throwing him down into the mortal world, re-incarnated as a big, studly, rude, smelly Pig Monk! After all, what else could make a person more unattractive to the opposite sex?

His skills and phrase make me laugh in particular......I totally relate - now where did I put my "Muck Rake"......?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:52 am

Hahahahahaha - I forgot about Pigsy's Skoda cloud!

Hilarious!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial