Marvel TV

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Marvel TV

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:14 am

So I was looking at Marvel's updated production slate, and so far the live action television series they have in the pipeline are:

Alter Ego (based on Marvel's Alias series.)
Blade
Skrull Kill Krew

And I've been thinking of what from the Marvel U I'd like to see made into a TV show, or what would translate particularly well. Capes, costumes, huge special effects and anything requiring a massive budget would be problematic. Smallville is an obvious example of this. So far, what first comes to mind is:

Thor: Though I care not for the character, would be easily adapted. No costume (if using the Ultimate Thor was a template.) and his powers are easily rendered.
Killraven: for most of the same reasons. Though with the recent failures of Invasion and Threshold I don't think it's likely.
Hulk: Done like the first series, where he's only the hulk for a few seconds each show, could be updated and done with relatively little CG or man-in-suit.
Punisher: Again, I care not for the character, but this could work under low budget/time-frame conditions. The only real obstacle would be limiting the on-screen violence to make it network tv friendly.

So, I'm curious to see what would be on everyone's wish list here. What would you like to see, if only Marvel had the balls to try it? What should they avoid?

Discuss.
Last edited by Adam Balm on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:16 am

a 1602 miniseries could be fun . . .

or is that a faux pas? I know a lot of people hate it . . . whatever, I'm a sap

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:28 am

I would really like to see The Runaways done in a live-action or cartoon capacity...and come on just bring back the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons for gosh sakes...and how about a live-action DareDevil series...I mean there wouldn't need to be a lot of FX...just cool fight scenes...and that whole lawyer stuff can be explored for some gripping storylines.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:50 am

Iconoclastica wrote:a 1602 miniseries could be fun . . .

I second that. I didn't think "1602" was brilliant but my expectations were very high and it's always fun to see different versions of heroes.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:58 am

Theta wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:a 1602 miniseries could be fun . . .

I second that. I didn't think "1602" was brilliant but my expectations were very high and it's always fun to see different versions of heroes.

:-) I feel like they could pull it off like that Sam Neal Merlin miniseries . . . finicky special effects and chalkfull of appropriate all around niftiness

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:38 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I would really like to see The Runaways done in a live-action or cartoon capacity...and come on just bring back the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons for gosh sakes...and how about a live-action DareDevil series...I mean there wouldn't need to be a lot of FX...just cool fight scenes...and that whole lawyer stuff can be explored for some gripping storylines.

I think MSJ was talking about doing a Daredevil TV series around the time that the movie came out. Same as Hulk(which had its own tv revival rumored), the not-too-impressive box office seems to have given them a wait-and-see mentality toward it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:53 am

II'd like to see a Daredevil re-boot in the format of an HBO series, hitting the major plot points throughout the comics, and spanning three seasons with twelve episodes each. It could be phenominal if done right. As for the special effects, If you focus on the story , and do Daredevil right, there will be less special effects than most people would expect.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I would really like to see The Runaways done in a live-action or cartoon capacity...and come on just bring back the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons for gosh sakes...

Ditto. Young Avengers would make for a great cartoon as well.

Instead of trying to make movies with some of their more obscure, non-traditional superhero characters, they really should go the TV route. I can see a great series being made with Cloak & Dagger, for instance, but not a movie (as is being planned).
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:06 pm

I agree about Runaways. Would make a great TV show in the vein of Buffy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Ok, these aren't Marvel books but:

I can see Invincible as a series or movie in animation or live-action, but given its darker elements I think I'd prefer live-action movies.

The Walking Dead would make for a kickass series/mini on say FX or HBO.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:22 pm

I would really like to see a lot of animation shows for comic book adaptations. I just think that you can show off more and if you took it seriously and did it with the comics you would increase sales of said comics. I might just be missing my childhood favs like xmen and spiderman though.

I just find that capes and stuff dont translate as well to the small screen as the big one.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:23 pm

Since someone broke the walls of the Marvel Universe, I think that Y: The Last Man would be awesome as a TV series.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:23 pm

And Ex Machina.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:23 pm

That would be awesome I can totally see that.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:27 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Since someone broke the walls of the Marvel Universe, I think that Y: The Last Man would be awesome as a TV series.

You have violated the rules of this thread.

LOCKING.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Back within the Balmy confines:

WTF is Skrull Kill Krew? I mean, I know what the Skrulls are, and I'm assuming it's about a group hunting them down, but does it have any basis in the comics?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Hmm. Runaways, Ex Machina, Y: The Last Man. I'm noticing a trend here...

As far as Runaways goes, I second (or third, or fifth, or whatever) that vote.

Off-topic, but Y: The Last Man would make a good series as well. Haven't read Ex Machina, but I know a little bit about it and I guess I could see the potential for a solid series there.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:48 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Back within the Balmy confines:

WTF is Skrull Kill Krew? I mean, I know what the Skrulls are, and I'm assuming it's about a group hunting them down, but does it have any basis in the comics?

Grant Morrison wrote a mini called that. Ironically enough, it was about a group of people who went around killing skrulls lol.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:Back within the Balmy confines:

Grant Morrison wrote a mini called that. Ironically enough, it was about a group of people who went around killing skrulls lol.

What? That's as incongruous as someone writing a story about ants and calling it Ant Farm lol!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:04 pm

::sniffle::
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Adam Balm wrote:::sniffle::

I didn't mean that as an insult, sorry. :oops:

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:49 pm

"Skrull Kill Krew" sounds like it should star Method Man and RedMan, with occasional appearances by other Wu-Tang personnel.

I would SO watch that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:51 pm

DIVERSIFYYOURBONDSILASH!

I thought the same thing, buster.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Re: Marvel TV

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:25 am

Adam Balm wrote:Punisher: Again, I care not for the character, but this could work under low budget/time-frame conditions. The only real obstacle would be limiting the on-screen violence to make it network tv friendly.

If they could make it like the Equalizer in way of grit and have Frank played by a dark haired David Morse, I'm so there.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:28 am

Good call, ONeill. If they could adapt Punisher for HBO or Showtime, all the better. I'm surprised it wasn't done a long time ago.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:37 am

buster00 wrote:Good call, ONeill. If they could adapt Punisher for HBO or Showtime, all the better. I'm surprised it wasn't done a long time ago.

If not them, FX. With it being like a reverse version of "The Shield".
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:33 pm

|If marvel does branch out to good T.V. |I'd like to see their new company do some stuff, and get some of their writers on it, instead of tired old tv writers. I'd like to see |Marvel Comics presents with alot of different stories and different heroes maybee meeting up occasionally. a show done more like masters of horror.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Shane wrote:|If marvel does branch out to good T.V. |I'd like to see their new company do some stuff, and get some of their writers on it, instead of tired old tv writers. I'd like to see |Marvel Comics presents with alot of different stories and different heroes maybee meeting up occasionally. a show done more like masters of horror.

That's a damn fine idea sir. I'm not sure Marvel will though, since they're ultimately about the bottom line and anthology shows aren't that profitable.

I think the 'Alter Ego' show is probably the closest thing we'll have to this, where Jessica Jones can regularly meet up with other heroes in the Marvel U and so forth. The potential is ultimately pretty big. It would be interesting if they went for a bit of a 'Marvels' approach, introducing well known story-lines and events into the series.

Man, the more I think about it, the more excited I get about that show....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:22 pm

Alter Ego strikes me as the most probable to reach our tubes. Who would play Jessica? They'd probably want her to be quite pretty in a conventional sense, which Jessica most assuredly is not. She's attractive but hard and weathered.

1602 would be a big jump for most TV viewers. They'd recognize a few of the X-Men, but the other major players won't have the familiar-but-skewed aspect important to the story.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:27 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I think the 'Alter Ego' show is probably the closest thing we'll have to this, where Jessica Jones can regularly meet up with other heroes in the Marvel U and so forth. The potential is ultimately pretty big. It would be interesting if they went for a bit of a 'Marvels' approach, introducing well known story-lines and events into the series.

Man, the more I think about it, the more excited I get about that show....

I sincerely hope you're right, but I don't know...
Maybe it's bad memories of the old live-action Spider-Man show, but something tells me Alter Ego will exist in a vacuum with few if any recognizeable guest stars, be they hero or villain. It just seems as though Marvel has so many characters tied up by so many different studios that they'd never be able to work things out.

Sorry to be a downer. :oops:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 pm

But were the television rights for the marvel characters already tied up, or just the film rights? I haven't heard about anyone buying the tv rights to Marvel characters yet. I know that the X-Men wouldn't be able to appear in the show because there's a deal with fox over any live action versions of the property (I.e., the lawsuit over Mutant X) but what about anyone else?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:47 pm

I hope Luke Cage is available for the rough-sex anal scene in the second episode (they have to spend the first setting up the character).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:51 pm

DennisMM wrote:I hope Luke Cage is available for rough-sex

:shock:
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:55 am

This is a bit off the subject, and more onto D.C. TV, but I just got done watching Flash on DVD, and I would love to see that show come back, only with the same Barry Allen passing the torch on to wally west. That would kick all kinds of ass. And when it comes to a flash movie, |I want to see John Wesley Shipp come back as barry and do the same pass it on to wally west. It's a great way to continue on and have pre-established continuity to work with. maybee then we'll see more mark hammell as the trickster.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:43 am

Shane wrote:II'd like to see a Daredevil re-boot in the format of an HBO series, hitting the major plot points throughout the comics, and spanning three seasons with twelve episodes each. It could be phenominal if done right. As for the special effects, If you focus on the story , and do Daredevil right, there will be less special effects than most people would expect.

Also could be some great court room drama moments. I think we're onto something.

It could be Law and Order: Daredevil.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Shane wrote:II'd like to see a Daredevil re-boot in the format of an HBO series, hitting the major plot points throughout the comics, and spanning three seasons with twelve episodes each. It could be phenominal if done right. As for the special effects, If you focus on the story , and do Daredevil right, there will be less special effects than most people would expect.

Also could be some great court room drama moments. I think we're onto something.

I need to be a T.V. Producer.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:53 am

Hey PBS, listen to a the Dino, eh? Iffa you wanna to get a some new influx of a the viewers anna public funding for a the coming year, then produce a the "Marvel 1602" for a the Masterpiece Theater anna show it during a the goddamn fund drive, no?

Hehehe.... call me, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Hey PBS, listen to a the Dino, eh? Iffa you wanna to get a some new influx of a the viewers anna public funding for a the coming year, then produce a the "Marvel 1602" for a the Masterpiece Theater anna show it during a the goddamn fund drive, no?

Hehehe.... call me, eh?

you must produce that one Dino
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:32 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

hiring that russian spiderman on the links to obscure and odd films as a stunt double would make the need for CG non existent in a project like Daredevil. That shit would be perfect.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Well it looks like I got my wish...Marvel has decided to create 26 animated episodes of Wolverine and the X-Men...which will obviously focus on Wolverine...and should be complete by 2007.

They went the same route as with the Fantastic Four animated deal. Except this time an Indian company is responsible for the animation.

I can't wait for some more animated X-Men goodness.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:56 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Well it looks like I got my wish...Marvel has decided to create 26 animated episodes of Wolverine and the X-Men...which will obviously focus on Wolverine...and should be complete by 2007.

They went the same route as with the Fantastic Four animated deal. Except this time an Indian company is responsible for the animation.

I can't wait for some more animated X-Men goodness.

Yeah I'll watch it, but I want live action damnit! I got too many cartoons.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I hope Luke Cage is available for rough-sex

:shock:

Oh, please! You're the one who asked for him.

Edit my post -- you goddamn putz!
DennisMM

Postby drashig on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:31 am

I'd love to see a Death's Head series...
drashig
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Sorry guys, I love me my Marvel and all, but... can we get animated versions of the big players from Valiant Comics, please?

X/O Manowar
Magnus - Robot Fighter
Harbinger
Eternal Warrior
Turok
Rai
Bloodshot

Oh, but that would be sweet...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Looks like they're going for a very 'The Batman' feel...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:42 pm

I like it. Hopefully, it will fill the void left by JLU and Teen Titans.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 pm

I like how if you look at all that's going on in that pic, we got the Doc Ock, Sandman, The Vulture, and Electro all present. Not bad.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm

I love the "web wings!"
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I like how if you look at all that's going on in that pic, we got the Doc Ock, Sandman, The Vulture, and Electro all present. Not bad.

I know! That got me extremely excited. I LOVE how they are setting it in high school. I hope this is a mixture of the Ultimate Spidey and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane comics. I want story arcs and not just cheezy stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial