BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Anybody else find Tyrol's and Tigh's reactions when Tigh walked into the chamber with the other 3 humorous? Tigh did something like "awwww...." and Tyrol replied with something like "no frakkin' way..." Was that an intentional little bit of humor, or was it weird that I laughed?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:38 pm

Oh it was defintely funny, that "Aughwwwww" from Tigh was hilarious.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby LegoKenobi on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm

i know that RDM will come through Vicar, but the wait is killing me.

ok, so here's a question for all the old-school BSG viewers in the house: did anyone else pick up on the possible "ship of light" in the final scenes? i totally missed it, but apparently there's at least SOME reason to consider it a possibility. check out this screencap:

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4008

i wasn't a big fan of the whole "ship of light" thing when it happened in the original series, but i know that RDM and co. have been very good about tipping their hats to the original series here and there.

so... is it possible? could THAT be the explanation for the new starbuck's return? a rehash of the original series story when dirk benedict's starbuck returned from the dead, dressed in a white colonial uniform? the gleam in that screencap may be just a very shiny star, but damn... it sure LOOKS like the old ship of light, and whatever it is, it's damn huge...
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby instant_karma on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:11 pm

Fievel wrote:
instant_karma wrote:When Starbuck said she'd been to Earth, I was kind of hoping she'd follow it with "and it's populated by Cylons."

I was hoping she'd follow it with "and it's populated by Starbucks!"

That would indeed have been so much better. I bow down to you...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:29 pm

LegoKenobi wrote:i know that RDM will come through Vicar, but the wait is killing me.

ok, so here's a question for all the old-school BSG viewers in the house: did anyone else pick up on the possible "ship of light" in the final scenes? i totally missed it, but apparently there's at least SOME reason to consider it a possibility. check out this screencap:

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4008

i wasn't a big fan of the whole "ship of light" thing when it happened in the original series, but i know that RDM and co. have been very good about tipping their hats to the original series here and there.

so... is it possible? could THAT be the explanation for the new starbuck's return? a rehash of the original series story when dirk benedict's starbuck returned from the dead, dressed in a white colonial uniform? the gleam in that screencap may be just a very shiny star, but damn... it sure LOOKS like the old ship of light, and whatever it is, it's damn huge...

The light thing looks like a star to me, and the dark patch something like a Bok globule. Just parts of a star forming region - the Ionian nebula was a very well produced visual. I'm wondering if the "Ionian" nebula is really what we call the "Orion Nebula".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:31 am

the Ionians and the story of their Colonisation.

It's also what pre-Socratic philosophers are often referred to as.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 am

yeah, Fried Gold, that's what i'm more than half leaning towards, too: it's just a very bright baby star.

the only thing that keeps me thinking, "but MAYBE..." is that RDM has been very good to occasionally hark back to the original series, but in a way that really one-ups the original. ESPECIALLY now that it appears that starbuck might have returned from the dead -- just like in the original series. that was directly part of the whole "ship of light" story thread.

so, tapehead -- is there anything you see in the story of the historic ionians that connects to BSG's story so far? it's too early for me to comprehend any of that without a couple of cups of coffee first. : )
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Nope - I always try to reference the various Mytholgies the writers quote in the hopes that there might be something to it - there kind of was with the Eye of Jupiter storyline - but it's too soon to say with this one. Makes interesting reading.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:54 am

instant_karma wrote:When Starbuck said she'd been to Earth, I was kind of hoping she'd follow it with "and it's populated by Cylons."

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:20 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Anybody else find Tyrol's and Tigh's reactions when Tigh walked into the chamber with the other 3 humorous? Tigh did something like "awwww...." and Tyrol replied with something like "no frakkin' way..." Was that an intentional little bit of humor, or was it weird that I laughed?

It was perfect.
Classic Saul Tigh moment....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm revising my theory. The "Ionian Nebula" is either the Lagoon Nebula or possibly NGC2440.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:15 pm

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 pm

sigh, well, it was a stretch, i agree. i was hoping the writers were leaving us their own breadcrumb trail.

there was a LOT great stuff in this one, along with tigh's noise of disbelief/frustration when he found the others in that room. as mentioned previously, i also loved baltar's dig at gaeta ("BUTTERFINGERS!") -- that made me laugh out loud. and the reveal at the end when romo lamkin leaves his cane behind, indicating he probably never needed it in, was awesome. i'd love to see more of his character interacting with the rest of the regulars somehow. that dude knows how to push some buttons, for sure.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Lampkin's thing with the sunglasses was clever too. It seemed at times that he only told the truth with the glasses off.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Oh man, was THAT the deal with the sunglasses? I have to pay more attention. I didn't even pick up on that.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Lampkin's thing with the sunglasses was clever too. It seemed at times that he only told the truth with the glasses off.

Seriously, man... that character has WAY more mystique than anyone else on the show. So freaking cool. I want to be him. Or at least with him.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Fievel wrote:Seriously, man... that character has WAY more mystique than anyone else on the show. So freaking cool. I want to be him. Or at least with him.

ha -- i'm with ya.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Oh man, was THAT the deal with the sunglasses? I have to pay more attention. I didn't even pick up on that.

Neither did I!!

Dammit, now I need to go back and rewatch the last few eps.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:30 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32093
Main page is reporting on an interview with Mark Verheiden, writer of the finale.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LegoKenobi on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:31 am

that was an interresting interview -- thanks for posting that link. looks like they have a ton of irons in the fire for next season, that's for sure.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Ionians/Ionian Nebula

Postby NoHubris on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:26 am

tapehead wrote:the Ionians and the story of their Colonisation.

Thanks for the link tapehead.

EXTREMELY interesting theory.
NoHubris
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Ionians/Ionian Nebula

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:30 am

NoHubris wrote:

Funny you should mention that - there might be a few things in that myth/history the writers might use, I think.Image
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Ionians/Ionian Nebula

Postby NoHubris on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:03 pm

tapehead wrote:
NoHubris wrote:

Funny you should mention that - there might be a few things in that myth/history the writers might use, I think.

Agreed. There is much potential fodder there -- the Ionians (as per the previously referenced Ionian nebula), son of Apollo (and Kara maybe?), Pythians (as in Chronicles of Pythia), a priestess, colonies/settlements followed by others, and attacks/wars to expel enemies.

Speaking of wars, it would be interesting if like your Ionian story, there was a war on earth between the humans, Cylons, and possibly a third party after they settle/colonize/re-colonize earth.

I'll certainly be reading that link again. :)
NoHubris
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Is the Earth in the BSG universe the same as our Earth? It could be a future Earth or a more further progressed Earth, capable of holding their own.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby NoHubris on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Good question.

The 13th colony from Kobol traveled to Earth 3000 years ago in the BSG universe and also left a beacon, along with the Arrow of Athena which provided a technologically advanced star "map." So if its past or future earth, they should still be able to hold their own IMO.
NoHubris
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby LegoKenobi on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:05 pm

the final podcast for this season is up, FINALLY. haven't listened to it yet myself, but i figured if anyone's still checking this thread they might be interested. it's an hour and 15 minutes long.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:11 pm

LegoKenobi wrote:the final podcast for this season is up, FINALLY. haven't listened to it yet myself, but i figured if anyone's still checking this thread they might be interested. it's an hour and 15 minutes long.

Is it an episode commentary? It had a title like "Frak Party" or something in itunes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Is the Earth in the BSG universe the same as our Earth? It could be a future Earth or a more further progressed Earth, capable of holding their own.

Well, if the Galactica shows up relatively now, they're fucked.
Earth, in its present state, couldn't stop even the lamest shit from coming down.
We'd be as useless as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, to use a tired old simile.
It would be awesome if Earth, when the Galacticians arrive, was somewhat more advanced and blew the Cylon fleet straight to the Shit Universe.

As long as I can have Tory & Boomer doing naked Tai Chi in my crib.
Grrrrrr.......
The Vicar

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:28 am

Fried Gold wrote:Is it an episode commentary? It had a title like "Frak Party" or something in itunes.

well, the decription i read in itunes says that he attended a season-ending frak party (http://frakparty.com/) and answered viewer's questions, so it sounds like it could be very interesting indeed. i plan on listening today.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 am

LegoKenobi wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Is it an episode commentary? It had a title like "Frak Party" or something in itunes.

well, the decription i read in itunes says that he attended a season-ending frak party (http://frakparty.com/) and answered viewer's questions, so it sounds like it could be very interesting indeed. i plan on listening today.

Let us know what you uncover, yes?
Inquiring minds want to know.....
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:58 am

The Vicar wrote:
LegoKenobi wrote:

Like me!

(I'm a sucker for old commercials)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:35 pm

The Vicar wrote:
LegoKenobi wrote:

Some of his replies to their questions are somewhat cryptic. (re: All Along The Watchtower, nature of the final five). A few are straight to the point. (Will they get to Earth? Are those four really four of the final five?) So it's probably to try and get a listen yourself.

Cyclical is the key word he uses. That all of this has happened before and will happen again.

As to what a "frak party" is......we may never know.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 pm

Fried Gold wrote: As to what a "frak party" is......we may never know.

what, the link i posted didn't help? ;)

http://www.frakparty.com/event

listening to the podcast now....please stand by....
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Fried Gold sums it up nicely -- RDM skirts around some questions, just saying that he can't say too much because it will say too much, but some questions he answers flat-out. it's worth a listen. the interesting thing he reminds everyone is a quote from leoben from season 2 that not only is everything cyclical and that this has all happened before, but also that the players may have been in different places. he ALSO said that they pretty much ruled out the adamas and roslyn as being cylons in their process of coming up with the four for this episode, which i find VERY interesting.

also, Fried, did it sound to you like he's going to do ANOTHER more formal podcast? i thought he mentioned that in the beginning.

ok, so two questions:

1) if you had to swap chacters around in an alternate reality, who would be who? could you imagine roslyn in six's spot? senior adama in tigh's? starbuck as baltar? the whole thing really jacks with my mind.

2) the one thing i haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that the big song in this finale is "all along the watchtower", but the title is "crossroads" -- which is quite a different iconic song. since song titles pretty much were used for every episode from mid-season on out, is this a clue that's right in front of our noses?
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Cyclical is the key word he uses. That all of this has happened before and will happen again.

Yes! some kind of cyclical timeline maybe...
Fried Gold wrote:As to what a "frak party" is......we may never know.

Co-ed showers!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

oh yeah -- i forgot to mention: someone asked RDM if he reads the fan postings on any sites, and he said that of course he does. he rattled off a bunch of sites he reads (television w/o pity? puh-LEEZ! what a waste of time!), but i was actually surprised that he didn't mention AICN. for some reason, i just expected him to say that he checks the forums here out. i'm hoping he just forgot. hello, RDM -- we love galactica over here, too!!
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:04 pm

LegoKenobi wrote:
Fried Gold wrote: As to what a "frak party" is......we may never know.

what, the link i posted didn't help? ;)

http://www.frakparty.com/event

Ah! Must've missed it. Looks like a good idea for a Cuntryman trail.

LegoKenobi wrote:also, Fried, did it sound to you like he's going to do ANOTHER more formal podcast? i thought he mentioned that in the beginning.

Yeah I got the impression that there'd be a proper audio commentary.

tapehead wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Cyclical is the key word he uses. That all of this has happened before and will happen again.

I like the idea of patterns re-emerging over time, that civilisations tend towards familiar actions and, on a more metaphysical side, that these characters may have lived though similar events in another life. But if BSG goes into the realm of time travel...I don't know it just wouldn't sit right.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:22 pm

LegoKenobi wrote:1) if you had to swap chacters around in an alternate reality, who would be who? could you imagine roslyn in six's spot? senior adama in tigh's? starbuck as baltar? the whole thing really jacks with my mind.

maybe all the cylons were humans, and all the humans were cylons. so six was starbuck, and leoben was apollo, and cavill was adama, and deanna was roslin.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
tapehead wrote:

I like the idea of patterns re-emerging over time, that civilisations tend towards familiar actions and, on a more metaphysical side, that these characters may have lived though similar events in another life. But if BSG goes into the realm of time travel...I don't know it just wouldn't sit right.

oh yeah, agreed, I'm just expressing the idea very poorly - certainly no time travel in the Back to the Future "go back and fix things up" kind of way, but in a way that events are fated to re-occur. Which is why I don't mind comparisons to TOS, figuratively speaking - In another life, in some distantly previous incarnation, Starbuck was Dirk Benedict, completely different individual, but in some way essentially the same agent performing some important role in the story's events.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Lampkin's thing with the sunglasses was clever too. It seemed at times that he only told the truth with the glasses off.

especially the first time they come off, when he's talking to C-6...

"Love, precocious evolutionary move, fashioning Cylons being capable of experiencing it. I don't know if it was engineered as a tactical imperative, but...it's not for the faint of heart, is it? Perhaps Cylon love is not the same as human love...perhaps it's designed to hurt a little less?"

and then this, which is really neat...

"Maybe you should've been nicer to your mechanic?"
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LegoKenobi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am

TheBaxter wrote:maybe all the cylons were humans, and all the humans were cylons. so six was starbuck, and leoben was apollo, and cavill was adama, and deanna was roslin.

wow. that totally would work, imho. ok, i'll buy that!
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:46 pm

Wow - after finally having watched the season three finale - I stumbled upon this fabulous site with all these theories that make my palms sweaty and my heart skip a beat. I think this theorizing might actually see me through until 2008.

I will even venture one timid idea of my own:

tapehead wrote:

Wanna know what I think? - I think these Final five might be human clones.

What about the 'final five' predating the 'significant seven' because they were actually created by humans. That's because they are fundementally different and why the Cylons don't know their faces. At some point in time, somewhere, humans already experimented with creating skin jobs. Maybe at a point when the All along the Watchtower song was popular...

And it would be even better if it tied in with a cyclical history and Earth somehow - the cyclical aspect of civilizations rising and falling and history repeating itself is really something to chew on. I can't really get my head around it yet. But I will keep on looking in here and absorbing ideas in the meantime - thanks guys :shock:
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Dee E. Goppstober, congrats on breaking your Zoner cherry!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm

:oops: Thanks - it didn't hurt at all! :D
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:04 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote::oops: Thanks - it didn't hurt at all! :D

Wait until tomorrow morning.
Be sure to wear dark pants.

Just trying to help.
The Vicar

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:48 pm

ok, here's a new theory to chew on

we know that humans created the cylons, or at least they created the toasters which evolved into the seven skinjob models we've seen

the final five cylons are fundamentally different. why? because they are the only remaining cylons from the original cylons who...

DUN-DUN-DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

...created the humans!!!

it's all very cyclical, don't you think?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:58 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, here's a new theory to chew on

we know that humans created the cylons, or at least they created the toasters which evolved into the seven skinjob models we've seen

the final five cylons are fundamentally different. why? because they are the only remaining cylons from the original cylons who...

DUN-DUN-DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

...created the humans!!!

I've heard crazier shit.

Wait a minute...those were all your posts too!!!!
:wink:
The Vicar

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, here's a new theory to chew on

DUN-DUN-DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

...created the humans!!!

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:Wow - after finally having watched the season three finale - I stumbled upon this fabulous site with all these theories that make my palms sweaty and my heart skip a beat. I think this theorizing might actually see me through until 2008.

I will even venture one timid idea of my own:

tapehead wrote:

Wanna know what I think? - I think these Final five might be human clones.

What about the 'final five' predating the 'significant seven' because they were actually created by humans. That's because they are fundementally different and why the Cylons don't know their faces. At some point in time, somewhere, humans already experimented with creating skin jobs. Maybe at a point when the All along the Watchtower song was popular...

And it would be even better if it tied in with a cyclical history and Earth somehow - the cyclical aspect of civilizations rising and falling and history repeating itself is really something to chew on. I can't really get my head around it yet. But I will keep on looking in here and absorbing ideas in the meantime - thanks guys :shock:

Why doesn't Peven come back here now that everyone is talking about cycles?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby LegoKenobi on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 am

i think the final five are fundamentally different from the rest because they have free will. the other models seem compelled on some deep level, and it's very hard for them to ignore it. boomer/sharon did, but i'm guessing she's a later (or EARLIER?) model. but it seems like the 4 we now know have (as tigh said) a choice, and they can choose to be whatever they want, even though they are cylon.

i still have no clue how it all ties back to earth, though.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am

possibly... though i think athena-sharon and caprica six have demonstrated a fair amount of free will themselves.

but if the final five do have free will, the important thing to remember is that they once used that free will to (re-)create the human race.
Last edited by TheBaxter on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial