BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:06 am

Gotta say I've loved the last two episodes, and they pretty much solidify, at least for me, how crummy the first 13 episodes of the season were. They were passable, but I never felt anything about those episodes lived up to the first season, but these last two episodes are finally back on track, on par with episodes like 33 and Water. I think the BG guys oughta do themselves a favor next season and reduce their episodes.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:09 am

fuck off! this season has been phenomenal! Don't listen to Gheorghe Zamfir BG guys!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:42 am

wonkabar wrote:Dude, they're not THAT old.

Maybe, but that kiss doesn't help their cause any.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:43 am

You people are cold and heartless and just plain cold. The president is dying. This is probably her last chance to get any action. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Instead of cringing at this sight, you should be rejoicing. Rejoicing that the President isn't going to die cold and alone with no one to love her and cry at her funeral. For shame.

I'd do her.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:25 pm

Okay I finally watched this weeks episode & quite frankly I'm suprised & ashamed at the lack of responses here and some of the reactions, this was IMO the single best episode of the entire Show so far, it was so well executed.

Luckily I missed ONeills Spoiler so I was actually surprised at where it went (the Downloads don't have previews luckily).

Apollo's stuff was beautifully done, the SFX of him breathing was tranquil and serene and actually sounded like someone breathing whilst floating in water, I can empathise with his decision to try and slip away on a certain level.

Baltar & 6 was equally as beautiful, I now like the character of Baltar not just like him because he's such a fucking whack job and I like seeing him freak out.

The Kiss at the end between Adama & Laura was a surprise to me too but a completely welcome one which actually got to me a bit because it was so well executed on an emotional level, the actors here are doing a fine job.

I couldn't really find a flaw with the episode, it was tense, well directed & it wasn't easy to predict what was going to happen at all.

9/10
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:31 pm

i thought it was a fantastic episode as well.

I actually adored the kiss at the end. It said so much, and was a milestone in terms of their relationship. Look at how far they've come since the mini.

The whole thing was great.

I can't wait to see where Baltar is going to end up.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:44 pm

I loved the kiss! And I think my hatred of Adama has been documented in these hallowed halls.

I felt sooooo bad for Chief. I still want him and Sharon together.

I did love the Apollo stuff-the beauty of the battle from his tranquility-but what am I not remembering that made him suicidal? Is it just everything adding up?

I do call bullshit on the non-killings of Cain and Adama right after the battle. It was a pussy move on the part of the powers that be.

The President dying storyline has made me really excited for what's to come. But Baltar is wearing thin.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:49 pm

i think apollo was suicidal because he couldn't believe that things were so bad that both his father and the president had conspired to eliminate their problem by assassinating cain. I think it shook him to his foundations, and he just gave up hope.

At least, i think that's what the intention was, it didn't come across that well.

my guess is that the president is going to get so sick (she looked reeealllly shakey in this episode) that baltar is going to have to start doing presidential duties...

and i'm with you lyra, chief and boomer were a lot better than helo and boomer.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:37 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:You people are cold and heartless and just plain cold. The president is dying. This is probably her last chance to get any action. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Instead of cringing at this sight, you should be rejoicing. Rejoicing that the President isn't going to die cold and alone with no one to love her and cry at her funeral. For shame.

I'd do her.

Oh yea, because taking sexual advantage of a cancer patient ISN'T cold and heartless.

Douche.

:)
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:52 pm

I think it was a kiss of mutual respect & kinsmanship, I doubt there were really any sexual urges going on there.

Maybe I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 pm

no, that's exactly how i saw it. It wasn't sexual at all. That's what made it so touching.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:33 am

I think it was a bit of a cop out the way they offed Cain, but other than that it was a good episode.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby click on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:20 pm

That last episode zigged when I thought it would zag and since I was spoiler free I was surprised! Which was good :)

I'm loving this season as I did the first (although I thought the mini was only ok on first viewing).

I've read elsewhere people bitching about minor things with props that haven't bothered me at all.

Out of the things that did I've managed to convince myself helo's gun was full of explosive ammo when he was on caprica shooting cylons, but I'm still having trouble with how they recognised a basestar the first time they saw it.

They can't have built them before the cylons left because inside they seemed organic (and why would the colonials build them massive ships of a completely new class to those they were already building if I'm wrong?) and If I'm remembering correctly the first time one appeared near the galactica it was described as a basestar without anything like the surprise when their new raiders appeared.

Now that I've got that off my chest I should be able to enjoy the rest of the season without that nagging voice in my head every time I see a basestar!
click
GLIB

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:25 am

Hey does any one else have the Season one soundtrack? Really eclectic album...I dig it.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:19 am

A Brief Look Inside the Mind of Gaius Baltar:

"How can I show this woman that I love her?

Jewelry? Flowers? Statue of Athena?

WAIT!!! I know!!

I'll give her a weapon of mass destruction!!!!

But what will I ever say in the card?

'Hey, here's a WMD
and I hope you love me
because it took me
forever to conceive
that I would be
the traitor to the fleet

So baby won't you let me
see that Cylon *****
you make me so horny
you sexy, beanpole blondie

Regards,
Baltar

P.S. Let me know BEFORE you set it off so I can get the frak out of here.'

Perfect."

Good episode. Needed more cowbell.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby wonkabar on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:03 am

I guess we don't need to worry about Rosie anymore.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:38 am

This was a pretty bad ass episode and a nice one for Baltar. It was interesting to see him working so hard to save the baby AND Roslin, only to get all bent out of shape at the letter. How fascinating that he uses an honest letter from his predecessor as justification for destroying mankind. What in the holy fuck.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:00 am

I'm playing catchup with BSG, having only watched a handful of episodes, and I gotsta know -- what happened last week. I missed the big throwdown between Galactaca and Pegasus... did the throwdown even happen? Did the assasination plot go through? What?!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:10 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I'm playing catchup with BSG, having only watched a handful of episodes, and I gotsta know -- what happened last week. I missed the big throwdown between Galactaca and Pegasus... did the throwdown even happen? Did the assasination plot go through? What?!

Oh man. Everyone died.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:41 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I'm playing catchup with BSG, having only watched a handful of episodes, and I gotsta know -- what happened last week. I missed the big throwdown between Galactaca and Pegasus... did the throwdown even happen? Did the assasination plot go through? What?!

Oh man. Everyone died.

LIAR!

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:18 am

Okay, so now I know what happened... thanks to the wonderment supplied by Battlestar Wiki. Some kinda open source BSG wikipedia thang that is remarkably comprehensive...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:23 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:LIAR!

Not to go off topic, but why would Padmé cross her arms like that in response to being choked? Wouldn't the natural instinct be to wrestle away the thing doing the choking off your neck? So wouldn't your arms be out to the sides more so you can pull in opposite directions? Padmé looks like she's choking herself! Maybe she's masochistic. ;)

Back to regularly scheduled programming, already in progress . . .
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 pm

padme must have learned early on to make that gesture in case of choking so someone would know to give her the heimlich.

anyway, BSG kicked ass. How long do you think it'll be before Baltar is commanding his own Cylon ship, and they're saying, "by your command"?

Baltar suddenly got a whole lot more interesting.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:25 pm

Baltar is crazy, but we already knew that.

No good can come of this. And Roslin is so gonna bust Baltar, too. So he'll probably join the Cylon resistance or something. Once she outs him, I can't see how he can talk his way out of it, other than claiming the President herself has dementia.
Last edited by RogueScribner on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:31 pm

I like President Roselyn and all, but I was a little disapointed at how easily her impending doom was cancelled out by some stem cell research. Now that she ain't gonna die form some horrible disease, is she still the chosen one?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I like President Roselyn and all, but I was a little disapointed at how easily her impending doom was cancelled out by some stem cell research. Now that she ain't gonna die form some horrible disease, is she still the chosen one?

maybe the fact that Rosalyn was saved by stem-cells will make her take a look at her faith...

I have a feeling that this series is about to get very heavy with the religious stuff.

Humans believe in gods, and Cylons believe in A god.

And yeah, what's going to happen with Rosalyn... "a dying president will lead them to Earth." Was that the prophecy? Didn't it say something about her being dead before they reached Earth? So it's possible that she could still die... I mean, they're not going to find Earth for a while.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:57 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:LIAR!

Not to go off topic, but why would Padmé cross her arms like that in response to being choked? Wouldn't the natural instinct be to wrestle away the thing doing the choking off your neck? So wouldn't your arms be out to the sides more so you can pull in opposite directions? Padmé looks like she's choking herself! Maybe she's masochistic. ;)

You're kidding, right? That's gotta be the craziest criticism ever. Have you ever seen someone choking? They usually reach instinctually for their throats as if that would clear the obstruction. It's irrational, sure, but its instinctual. It would be different if his hands were on her throat, but they're not, so she is reacting in a way that people normally react when they are, say, choking on food. And what about that guy in ANH that Vader chokes? He does virtually the same thing.

I mean, hell, theres all sorts of stuff you can crticize in Star Wars (both PT and OT), but that's way off the mark. Anyways this is a discussion for another thread...

So, Cylon blood cures cancer, huh? Is that called the "deus ex machina" gene? :wink:
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Bluebottle wrote:maybe the fact that Rosalyn was saved by stem-cells will make her take a look at her faith...

I have a feeling that this series is about to get very heavy with the religious stuff.

Humans believe in gods, and Cylons believe in A god.

And yeah, what's going to happen with Rosalyn... "a dying president will lead them to Earth." Was that the prophecy? Didn't it say something about her being dead before they reached Earth? So it's possible that she could still die... I mean, they're not going to find Earth for a while.

Maybe there'll be some huge religious backlash from her followers, because she isn't dying anymore. I hope them writers use Roselyn's survival to further the story, Rather than a cheap plot device to keep a popular character on the show.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:14 pm

I agree. Based on where it seems to be going, I think we're gonna see an alliance between the good Cylons and the good humans vs. the evil Cylons and evil humans.

I'm new to the show, but thats what it seems like, right? If their coexistance and intermingling is to their mutual benefit -- like the eventually wiping out of cancer -- staying enemies would spell doom for both cultures, whereas a joining of the races would make them much stronger in the long run...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:37 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
RogueScrib ner wrote:Not to go off topic, but why would Padmé cross her arms like that in response to being choked? Wouldn't the natural instinct be to wrestle away the thing doing the choking off your neck? So wouldn't your arms be out to the sides more so you can pull in opposite directions? Padmé looks like she's choking herself! Maybe she's masochistic. ;)

You're kidding, right? That's gotta be the craziest criticism ever. Have you ever seen someone choking? They usually reach instinctually for their throats as if that would clear the obstruction. It's irrational, sure, but its instinctual. It would be different if his hands were on her throat, but they're not, so she is reacting in a way that people normally react when they are, say, choking on food. And what about that guy in ANH that Vader chokes? He does virtually the same thing.

I mean, hell, theres all sorts of stuff you can crticize in Star Wars (both PT and OT), but that's way off the mark. Anyways this is a discussion for another thread...

So, Cylon blood cures cancer, huh? Is that called the "deus ex machina" gene? :wink:

I'm not saying she wouldn't reach for her throat, I'm saying rather than looking like she's choking herself, it should look like she's desperately trying to free herself from the choke, not help it along. And it wasn't a serious criticism, just something that looked odd to me in the picture. And yes, this discussion is for another thread, so please don't take such off remarks seriously.

This week's episode of Battlestar Galactica was brought to you by the Organization for the Promotion of Stem Cell Research. :P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:50 pm

RogueScribner wrote:This week's episode of Battlestar Galactica was brought to you by the Organization for the Promotion of Stem Cell Research. :P

Totally! I thought that was great. It's funny how politcally complex and interesting the show actaully is. There are no pat answers or clear good guys / bad guys. I need to catch up and watch the previous episodes, cause I've only seen a few of 'em...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Maybe there'll be some huge religious backlash from her followers, because she isn't dying anymore. I hope them writers use Roselyn's survival to further the story, Rather than a cheap plot device to keep a popular character on the show.

agreed, but so far the "cheap plot devices" have been few and far between on this show. they seem to know what they're doing.

famous last words.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:55 pm

I was just peeping this topic on the Battlestar-Wiki

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/en/index.php/Cyrannus

I never believed the colonies to be in the same system. Isn't each colony actually supposed to be in their given astrological constellation? Their ships can jump great distances so it would seem possible for them to maintain the 12 even though they are spread far and wide. As far as the 13th tribe is concerned, it's not so much that it's far away (the fleet could probably jump there) it's just that unless you know the EXACT quardinents, then finding Earth in vastness of space would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:28 pm

One quote from that Wiki that bugs me:

"While it has been ascertained through searches undertaken from both the surface of the Earth and the Hubble Space Telescope that there are a large number of planets orbiting local stars in our galaxy, most of the planets discovered to date are clssified as gas giants, similar in size and potentialy in composition as the planet Jupiter in our own solar system."

They seem to be implying that that's indicative of what planetary systems are like, rather its just indicative of our level of technology (as well as the amount of time we've been looking for other planetary systems), but its not evidence for saying that Earth-like planets are rare (even if they actually may be).

Anyways, I seem to recall the Holodeck-planetarium episode, they do say something to the effect of Earth being a very long ways away. So the journey isn't so much finding Earth as it is getting there, or at least getting to the vicinity, which will take awhile even given their FTL.

I think the colonies do have to be relatively close to each other as well, both in order for Baltar alone to have been able to disable the defenses of the entire fleet, but also because each colony seems to have some civilian ship that was able to escape with Galactica - I missed the miniseries, so I actually don't know how the whole attack went down, but I gather that there are ships from different colonies, that they're not all from, or were all at Caprica or one colony, during the attack, I may be wrong on that idea though.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:21 pm

in the original series i think there was something about the colony of earth being formed after a dispute. like, the colonists wanted to get as far away from the other colonies as possible.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:27 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:A Brief Look Inside the Mind of Gaius Baltar:

WAIT!!! I know!!

'Hey, here's a WMD
and I hope you love me
because it took me
forever to conceive
that I would be
the traitor to the fleet

So baby won't you let me
see that Cylon *****
you make me so horny

Regards,
Baltar

Perfect."

God damn it, no one thought this was funny?

I thought the "Regards" line was gold. Jesus. What does it take for you get an LOL here?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:38 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:A Brief Look Inside the Mind of Gaius Baltar:

WAIT!!! I know!!

'Hey, here's a WMD
and I hope you love me
because it took me
forever to conceive
that I would be
the traitor to the fleet

So baby won't you let me
see that Cylon *****
you make me so horny

Regards,
Baltar

Perfect."

I thought the "Regards" line was gold. Jesus. What does it take for you get an LOL here?

I find your sensitivity funny. Is that bad? :P
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:44 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
A Brief Look Inside the Mind of Gaius Baltar:

WAIT!!! I know!!

'Hey, here's a WMD
and I hope you love me
because it took me
forever to conceive
that I would be
the traitor to the fleet

So baby won't you let me
see that Cylon *****
you make me so horny

Regards,
Baltar

Perfect."

I find your sensitivity funny. Is that bad? :P

I'll take what I can get.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:35 am

what the hell is wrong with you people, wasn't a new episode on last night?

where are my spoilers? where's the trenchant analysis? Best damn show on tv and none of you cared to comment on it yet?

don't make me have to get cable again...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:what the hell is wrong with you people, wasn't a new episode on last night?

where are my spoilers? where's the trenchant analysis? Best damn show on tv and none of you cared to comment on it yet?

don't make me have to get cable again...

Here's my reaction to last nights Galactica:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Boring.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby brainiac on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:02 pm

***SPOILERS***

Lee Adama is the man. His stand off with the black market leader
was... Whoa...did he really just do that?

My watching of this show has been spotty but I think I just
decided to add it to my list of "must see"s along with SG1 now that Ben Browder is in the cast. (LOVED Farscape!)
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:30 pm

After the last few episodes, I think the writers deserve a break by writing a by the books episode. It was alright, but the hooker scenes confused me. I kept getting them mixed up as flash backs for the first little while, until the whole "cylons can attack at any moment" part. Maybe thats just because I couldn't differentiate between the woman in the flash backs and the hooker. All white people look alike to me, I can only tell them apart by their hair styles.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby brainiac on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:36 pm

I just listened to the pod cast by Ronald D. Moore and he wasn't all that happy with this episode either. He felt it was a lot of nothing going no where. But, he is excited about next week's The Scar.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:04 pm

I missed the episodes from the 13th and the 20th only to be stuck with the black market episode? It was all right.

Guess I need to check out TWP and that wiki site to catch up.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:35 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Here's my reaction to last nights Galactica:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Boring.

That was the dullest hour of television i've ever watched.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 pm

Even duller than some of those back-to-back '70s sitcoms?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:51 pm

DennisMM wrote:Even duller than some of those back-to-back '70s sitcoms?

:shock:

nothing dull ever came out of the '70's. HUSH YOUR MOUTH!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:52 pm

Ahem:

The San Pedro Beach Bums
Delta House
Brothers and Sisters
Blansky's Beauties

Must I continue?
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:53 pm

HAHAHHAHA, Delta House... Man that stunk.

Fair enough, you win.

hehe, there were some things more dull than last nights Galactica.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 pm

Okay, I'm getting pissed by this Baltar shit. He needs to die. Why is everyone around him just ignoring that fact?!? The president knows, she's had peopled deaded before, WTF is she doing?!?!?!!!!!! The character is the twitchiest mofo ever to exist-he's bad! you stupid galactica people! He talks to the air. He looks around like he's following something. He's a shitty lier. Kill him already.

What makes me the most mad is that I know he's gonna be around for awhile because of what I've learned about the old BSG. Bitch.

Let's see, what did I like about this episode? Hmmmm, give me time. I'm thinking...

oh, yeah, Lee hooking up with a whore. I did like that because there is definately not enough sex on this show. Especially sex that makes our Boy Scout looks like an asshole (maybe that's just me-I don't mind the whoring, I mind the fact that he acts like he cares when he's too stupid to know he doesn't).
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial