BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:30 pm

all this has happened before and all this will happen again... the robot scientists are HERE!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:04 am

pfft, robots would never go that extra mile for fame, power and the opposite sex the way the average scientist will.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby LegoKenobi on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:26 am

oh, retardo, i could have gone a long, long time without seeing adama heave all over himself again...

lmao
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:pfft, robots would never go that extra mile for fame, power and the opposite sex the way the average scientist will.

i don't think baltar is an "average scientist"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:48 am

Baltar was the most human character on that BSG.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bill blake on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 am

holy frak!

a stargate marathon!

i remember when friday night used to mean something.

scifi does not deserve something as great as bsg. which begs the questions: would bsg have been picked up anywhere else? and if it had would it have fared any better in popularity.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:26 pm

i thought the robot scientists were scary. but this really put a chill in my spine....

ROBOT GARDENERS!

is there a better thread than the BSG one to post these stories about our impending enslavement by these metallic monstrosities?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Along that line, my bread got stuck in the toaster the other day... :(
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Ribbons wrote:Along that line, my bread got stuck in the toaster the other day... :(

Sounds more like 'Maximum Overdrive'. But, it's already begun.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 pm

today our toast... TOMORROW THE WORLD!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:Along that line, my bread got stuck in the toaster the other day... :(

Frakkin toaster!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 pm

IPAMPILASH!

It's the proto-Cylon I tells ya
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:54 pm

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:29 am

Frak!

I really want a Mk3 viper.

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Frak!

I really want a Mk3 viper.

it would make a nifty hot rod. can you imagine cruising down the streets in one of those things? one thing's for sure... you'd get a lot of frakkin' pussy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:52 pm

That is a pretty cool box... if you'd caught me at the end of season 3 I would've sounded desperate to shell out whatever amount of $$$ for the full series DVD set, but after a pretty weak season 4 and ho-hum finale I'd probably wait 'til the price drops significantly, if I buy the full series at all (I already have the first three seasons + Razor and the first mini series on DVD).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Wed May 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Still a ton of cool shit.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed May 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Fievel wrote:

Still a ton of cool shit.

Urge to bid....rising.

...but not sure what to do with a set of Galactica mess hall chairs.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed May 27, 2009 4:54 pm

I was geeked that one of the chairs was so cheap at the time.... only to find that it has a $100+ shipping fee.
Ouch!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

i dunno... looks like bullshit to me. i mean, look at all those boxes....
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaveX on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 pm

teh plan trailer.
youtube haz it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYV7WeaDP_8

btw., lol @ the tags :mrgreen:
RaveX
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:20 pm

RaveX wrote:teh plan trailer.
youtube haz it.

Way cool AV, amigo. Welcome aboard.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby RaveX on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Way cool AV, amigo. Welcome aboard.

thanks... been lurking around for quite some time now, this was first time I actually had something smart to say.

as for the avatar, some guy drew it and put it on his blog.
where I stole it from.
so, mad props to him for the drawing.

whoever he is.
RaveX
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Okay, the trailer for The Plan looks cool and all, but....

...I think I would have much rather seen it last fall BEFORE the final episodes aired.

But any return to that world will be considered a treat, I guess.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:23 am

Okay, so I've only just started watching this show from the beginning (season 1 on DVD, what what), so forgive me for making like the MOST puerile observation possible, but apparently one of the telltale signs of Cylonism is that their spines start glowing during sex. So, like... no Cylons have ever done it from the back before, or what?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:27 am

Shush! Ron Moore wishes the glowing spine never happened.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:44 am

Seriously? Tell me more! I don't have time to wade through all 5000 posts of this bad boy!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:55 am

There's not much to tell, the glowing spine was in the miniseries but by the time we're into the first season that particular feature of the cylons is just plain ignored because the writers didn't want there to be anyway to tell who was human and who was cylon.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 am

They only glow like that when no-one's looking... only female cylons glow, and they refuse to have sex doggy-style, as over half of them are lesbian, or at least bi-curious, and all the the male cylons are straight, and don't like taking their shirts off... So. It just doesn't come up.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 am

tapehead wrote:They only glow like that when no-one's looking... only female cylons glow, and they refuse to have sex doggy-style, as over half of them are lesbian, or at least bi-curious, and all the the male cylons are straight, and don't like taking their shirts off... So. It just doesn't come up.

Ah! So that's why sex up the tail pipe didn't feature in the show.

;)

papalazeru

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 am

Random Observation #2: Col. Tigh is in pretty good shape for an old dude
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:04 pm

i always figured the glowing spine only happened during orgasm... and all the other cylons are just frigid.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 am

Oh, so I just finished season 1 a couple days ago. Pretty interesting so far, really cool cliffhanger in the finale (Adama gets gutshot by Valeri), and all. I actually wanted to voice my thoughts about the whole faith/religion angle that the show is already developing fairly early on and that seemed to be a source of contention through the final stretch of episodes this year (granted, I never read any conversation pertaining to "BSG" too extensively because I was planning on eventually watching it and didn't want the spoilage). So, I fully recognize that anything I'm about to say is in complete ignorance of everything else that ever happens on the show ever. However, I wanted to possibly generate some discussion, and also write this down before I forgot to.

Anyway, I know some people were very dissatisfied with the way the end of the show shook out, whereas others found it to be incredibly provocative and moving, etc. I don't know what the similarities are, but I found the early episodes that were focused on questions of faith to be pretty tedious (for example, the one where Mr. Nice Gaius is almost sentenced to death as the result of a doctored photograph because he refused to acknowledge the existence of a god). It's not so much that it's about religion and/or "spirituality"; I mean, I don't know how comfortable I'd ever be with a show that tackled those questions, but if you want to make a show all about Jesus/Brahma/Madme Cleo, if that's what you believe in, I can dig it. The problem is, I don't really think that Ron Moore believes it. I think that it's just a "Hey, wouldn't Big Questions make our show more profound?" kind of thing... but the issue seems pointless because the questions feel disingenuous. Right now it doesn't seem all that different from the whole debate about the mythical "Earth." Everytime someone has an argument about whether Earth even exists, it's supposed to be provocative because we're clearly living on it right now, but I just find myself getting frustrated with the writers for trying to fool me into caring about a subplot that would seem pretty hackneyed if the cradle of mankind was some made-up planet like "Shmergon 5." Like I said I don't know how these themes develop, but at the time it doesn't seem thoughtful in the sense that it's something the writers actually think about, just manipulative. So if the existence of Earth/God/Whatever is what the series ends up boiling down to, I can understand some fans feeling like they were taken for a ride.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shanny Boy on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 pm

RaveX wrote:teh plan trailer.
youtube haz it.

It looks like it's just extended scenes from different episodes of the series. It also looks like it'll suffer from the same problems the series had with a lack of a plot.
Shanny Boy
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm watching a CSI episode from this past season. It takes place at a Star Trek-like convention. A producer has produced a pilot that reboots an old series and is killed. After screening the pilot, a convention attendee played by Ron Moore shouts out "You suck!!" (or something to that effect).

Hilarious.

Ellen Tigh and Boomer/Sharon are also in the episode.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

So, BSG: The Plan is available on P2P/usenet

Postby Strabo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:26 pm

So, BSG: The Plan is available on P2P/usenet.

It's pretty good. Had it aired prior to Day Break, I would have liked it even more. As the final episode EVAR, I'm kind of disappointed, as it's not much of a send-off. It has some nice background information, but it doesn't really change anything, and inexplicably raises one more question in the process. Still, it's BSG, and it focuses on Dean Stockwell (he carries the entire film), so it's definitely worth viewing.

Most of the characters/actors besides Stockwell are largely present through footage reused from the first two seasons of the series deftly interweaved with the new material (in that respect, this feels very much like a clip show). Really, the only characters who get new screen time in this film are (in order of decreasing focus): two Cavils (fleet priest, and Caprica Resistance priest), Anders, Tyrol, two new Simons (one as Ander's Pyramid team medic, the other as a Colonial fleet medic in the RTF), Shelly Godfrey-Six, original Boomer (not Athena), a new prostitute Six (the inexplicable new question is her fate), suicide-bomber Doral, Starbuck-tortured Leoben, Ellen Tigh, Tori Foster, and Saul Tigh. Daniel is completely missing from the show, as is, for the most part, D'Anna Biers, though I believe they mentioned her (simply as "a three") and showed her in an archival clip. Tori and Saul Tigh are given short-shrift, as they're both barely in the film. You could call Adama's appearances almost a cameo. Interestingly, they chose to create a new flight deck knuckle-dragger character who is married to the new fleet medic Simon character in a "robots can learn to love too" subplot. And I just realized something...they have a kid, which makes two unanswered questions. Is there yet another human/cylon off-spring that the writers have to answer for now? This character is seen to participate in things like analyzing the captured Cylon raider in the first season. She also has a sex scene with Simon, and if that's not a body double, wow, very nice. Hrm, interesting, the actress' name is Lymari Nadal and imdb says that she was in the original mini-series, so perhaps she's not new.

One thing that really disappointed me was the score. McCreary opted to make the score essentially a highlights track of the best bits of score from the first two seasons. I'll have to listen to it again, but it doesn't seem like he really re-orchestrated the clips either. He did provide a new setting of the Sanskrit Hindu mantra (from the opening credits) that plays over the closing credits that's mildly interesting. However, there wasn't really a single new piece of music that really excited me.

All together, it's worth viewing, particularly if you're a BSG fan, but doesn't really add a lot to the series, I'm sad to say. In particular, I wish they had aired this in the break between season 4 and 4.5.

Oh, there is one thing I wish to note: I wish that the kid who "befriends" Cavil was the character of Boxy. I like to think that this was the writers' (Espenson's) intention in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge sort of way. The kid's fate is hilarious.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 pm

"His jacket was burgundy. This is teal."
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Strabo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Fried Gold wrote:"His jacket was burgundy. This is teal."

Yeah, that's quite possibly the funniest line in the film. And that includes the reprise of "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!"
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 am

I think I found the Cylons' view of events more interesting that the quite often too mawkish human side.

That the only Cylon agent to really be full-on dedicated to iradicating the humans was Cavill, means the fleet possibly wasn't always in as much danger as they thought. Knowing about the conflicted standpoint of the other agentsgave them a greater depth.

It's a shame the stories of Leoben and Simon, and some of those Sixes, couldn't have been explored more at the time...but I guess it would've build up less suspense.

Maybe this would've been best suited for broadcast as part of season 4.5.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Strabo on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Maybe this would've been best suited for broadcast as part of season 4.5.

Yep, this should have been aired either during 4.5, prior to Daybreak, or before 4.5 began at all and been an event like The Other 48 Days.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 pm

How is it that they've decided to make these movies when they stripped all the sets and sold their parts off at an auction? Did they rebuild everything, or is it that new locations were created for The Plan?

And I think Adama's statements about other movies has to be taken as out-of-work actor fiction, no? 5 million copies of the DVD to be sold? :?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:How is it that they've decided to make these movies when they stripped all the sets and sold their parts off at an auction? Did they rebuild everything, or is it that new locations were created for The Plan?

And I think Adama's statements about other movies has to be taken as out-of-work actor fiction, no? 5 million copies of the DVD to be sold? :?

Make that 4,999,999 copies to be sold :D

papalazeru

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 pm

So I just finished watching The Plan...

WOW! It was a chore getting through this, I had to take breaks throughout.

The convoluted retconning, coincidences, and even mocking commentary of events in the first season we thought were cool for their mystery amounts to a George Lucas level of childhood rape...

And it's dull, everything here is like a giant B-side for the series. Yes the Simon development was nice enough to see, but it only makes me wish they'd put it during the actual series... at least in The Plan, though, there's nudity and we wouldn't have got the opportunity to see Simon's smoking hot wife in her birthday suit otherwise.

Tricia Helfer has done amazing work playing variations of Six throughout the series... what do we get here? Cavill is the most annoying cynic you will witness because all of his comments play out like he knows the outcomes... he of course makes a snide jab at Six's "chameleonesque" ability.

And we officially have the lamest Six variation introduced here: White Trash Six.

In all honesty The Plan is complete garbage, AND I CERTAINLY ADVISE ALL FANS OF THE SHOW TO STAY AWAY!!!

This will ruin whatever enjoyment you had of the series, particularly the first season!! I am not kidding, they frequently use scenes from the mini series and the first two seasons (I guess they never rebuilt the CIC and other sets...) and interject the "new stuff" which is mostly comprised of Cavill whinging.

I think Adama did a reasonable enough job as director, and if I didn't know the original scenes so well, the mixing in of new scenes would look totally seamless. Visually there are some nice moments, but over all... like I said, it was a chore to watch. A lot of talking, yap yap yap, stating the obvious, deflating some of the mystique of the earlier parts of the series, etc.

SERIOUSLY, DON'T FUCKING WATCH THIS, I WISH I HADN'T!!!

STAY AWAY FOR FRAK'S SAKE!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:How is it that they've decided to make these movies when they stripped all the sets and sold their parts off at an auction? Did they rebuild everything, or is it that new locations were created for The Plan?

I thought I read somewhere that they digitally preserved the scenes.... whatever that meant.

And The Plan...... apparently Lucy Lawless was too busy?
I thought it was more miss than hit, but I did like the scenes on Cylon-Occupied Caprica and the story with the Doctor Cylon on the ship (with the wife and kid).

White Trash Six..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: because it's funny... :( because it's true.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 am

Fried Gold wrote:That the only Cylon agent to really be full-on dedicated to iradicating the humans was Cavill, means the fleet possibly wasn't always in as much danger as they thought. Knowing about the conflicted standpoint of the other agentsgave them a greater depth.

Man I considered that to be a huge slap in my face, it was such a disgusting display of retconning for BSG!!

It wasn't necessary, and actually it's contradictory, to show "conflict" among the Cylons. These things happened gradually throughout the series, particularly in season 3 as we got more insight into the Cylon side of things... that was a nice and organic way to further show the individuality in Cylons. But to go back and essentially inject the degree of conflict among the Cylons into the earlier parts of the story adds nothing to the intrigue! It deflates it by bringing point B to point A, so now when you rewatch the series you'll be going from point B to point B as far as the Cylon "view" is concerned! *vomits* To create a dictator-type figure in Cavill in The Plan is beating a dead horse, except you're also dragging that dead horse through time and smearing its innards everywhere!

Plus Sharon turning on and off, OMG what horrible storytelling!!! And all the Cavill conversations were ridiculous!!!

But at least Simon's wife is hot. HELLO!

EDIT: By the way, I'm not even sure we need to use the spoiler tags... honestly I don't see what could be considered a spoiler in this utterly irrelevant movie.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 am

does grace park get naked? because if so, then that alone justifies this film's existence, no matter how horrible the rest may be.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 am

No. but there was some minor boobage shown. Possibly even male frontal during a shower scene, but I didn't bother to really look.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial