The Unit

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Unit

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 am

no, this isn't a thread about John Holmes, its about the new CBS show that aired last night starring our favorite TV ex-president David Palmer.

Dennis Haysbert is the leader of a delta force unit (called "the unit") yadda yadda yadda he kills people and goes home and has to take out the trash.

so did anybody catch it?

It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good either.
I was a little surprised that Pres. Palmer's acting was so wooden, and the "special effect" in the opening sequence was teh suck (stock footage of an F14 dropping a smart bomb, followed by a REALLY bad car explosion that a high school kid musthave done for them).

It had a few cool moments that will at least get me to come back a few more times...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby cap on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:23 am

I thought it was pretty good.

Some of the presentation wasn't exactly what TV has seen before. Especially the scene on the plane.

Some of the side story I find boring already.

I intend to keep watching.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:25 am

What?
No John Holmes.....
Boooooooo.......

I have never seen the show...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:28 am

I thought Stunt 101 was the shizznit. What? This thread isn't about G-Unit either? Damn!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:32 am

cap wrote:I thought it was pretty good.

Some of the presentation wasn't exactly what TV has seen before. Especially the scene on the plane.

Cap, thanks for reminding me about that... the scene were Palmer (i'm going to keep calling him that!) is killing the terrorists on the plane was awesome! Everything slows down (in his eyes) as he's picking those dudes off...

and yes, the side story about the wives was bad. Palmer's wife practically knew everything! I thought the wives were supposed to be kept in the dark!

Athena, the show just premiered last night.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Howard Moon on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:17 pm

I thought that whole "family" stuff was boring and pointless. I had high hopes for this series because I really liked Spartan, but this is disappointing. It would have been better if the show just focused on each mission and the rest of their life was a mystery.
Howard Moon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby cap on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 pm

so sorry wrote:
cap wrote:I thought it was pretty good.

Cap, thanks for reminding me about that... the scene were Palmer (i'm going to keep calling him that!) is killing the terrorists on the plane was awesome! Everything slows down (in his eyes) as he's picking those dudes off...

and yes, the side story about the wives was bad. Palmer's wife practically knew everything! I thought the wives were supposed to be kept in the dark!

Athena, the show just premiered last night.

Thanks for the compliment so sorry.

I do agree about the wives. I was under the impression they had no idea what was going on.

The one side story that will be interesting is what I believe is Palmers "battle fatique". That could take a lot of twists and turns before it plays out.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 pm

so sorry wrote:Athena, the show just premiered last night.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry...
I have seen commercials for it.. It sounds kind of interesting and promising but I already dedicate way too much time to too many other television shows. I am currently backed up and have a bunch of shit on the dvr to catch up on... Besides my blockbuster renting and game playing...lol
Last edited by athenabodicea on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DanielSan on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah, the wives aren't supposed to know. That's why Robert Patrick got so pissed off when he found out that Palmer's wife told the newbie wife. He was pissed because it was clear that Palmer told.

I enjoyed the wives sub-story. In fact, this show may end up being one of my favorites.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 pm

I didn't catch it, but how's the dialogue? It is a David Mamet show, so I'd expect nothing less than stellar.

Oh, and so sorry, since when has Haysbert NOT been wooden? I like the guy, but President Palmer was as one-note as I've ever seen.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:08 pm

I'm no Mamet-aficianado, so i really can't compare the dialogue to any of his other shows.
i will say this: it wasn't stellar.
the whole episode seemed to move a little too fast.

SPOILERS

They went from a mid-east mission to home base to idaho to terrorist controled plane (coincidentally in Idaho) to home base in what felt like a day.
but i give it a pass because it was the first episode so they tried to cram alot of info in an hour (yes, they should have made it a two hour premiere).
as for palmer's acting... i wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad.

but check it out next week .
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:15 pm

I will have to check it out.

I think this is David Mamet's first TV show, but he's a renowned playwright and screenwriter famous for his very exact, very precise, don't-stray-at-all-from-what's-written dialogue. I assume he'd have to be a little less strict on a TV show, but I'm hoping it's not run-of-the-mill stuff.

Oh, and is the show in 2.35 x 1 letterbox? All the commercials are shown in that ratio. I was excited to see a show going for it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:21 pm

hmmm, cna't remember about the letterbox.
unfortunately for them, the hi definition broadcast actually worked against them... the "action" scene in the begining that i mentioned earlier looked wicked bad (and by bad i mean teh suck bad, not Michael Jackson bad) on my big screen hidef tv
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby cap on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:49 pm

so sorry wrote:hmmm, cna't remember about the letterbox.
unfortunately for them, the hi definition broadcast actually worked against them... the "action" scene in the begining that i mentioned earlier looked wicked bad (and by bad i mean teh suck bad, not Michael Jackson bad) on my big screen hidef tv

Although I enjoyed the show, they did seem to take the easy and cheap way out on any FX that needed to be done.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:40 pm

I think this show is getting a heap of unneccesary heat (although not so much here).. while the pilot episode didn't really blow any socks off, I think it showed more than enough room for potential

It really all depends where they go from here with future episodes. If they get some major arcs happening, it could be pretty awesome, but if they keep it largely episodic, the slow-burn "hey, this ain't 24" nature of it's writing will kill it dead in the waters.

It feels a lot more suited for cable than network though.
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby dimasok on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 pm

Not impressive. Can't really tug the same rope 24 does. Action comes in fits and strats and the 1st episode sucks ass towards the end. Also, what's the thing with the PG13-ratings? Where is the blood? And why does a simple Glok make their bodies recoil as if they were shot with explosive shotgun round blasts? Hogwash that's what I call it
dimasok
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Carolian on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:22 pm

I just caught this--had it on my DVR and didn't get a chance to watch it until a bit ago. I was impressed, actually. Not a lot of thoughts, just generally positive feelings. I'll give it a chance for a few weeks, see if it stays good.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:55 pm

I just watched this, I thought it was pretty good, the way everyone talked in a sort of no BS code was pure Mamet, I thought it moved at a nice pace, althought I didn't love the stuff with the wives I think the point is that they are just as important as their husbands in some ways, they have to make sure their spouses are in a good place mentally, I can see the guy with the scar getting booted from the Unit because his wife is porking Robert Patrick and it's going to interfere with their missions.

The FX at the beginning and when the little plane landed on the road was teh suk but they made up for it with the Parachute jump and the cool as fuck taking back of the Jet.

I'll watch this show until they cancel it, I have no doubts this will be a stellar show that doesn't have overtly political undertones, just good stories.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:10 pm

so sorry wrote:SPOILERS

They went from a mid-east mission to home base to idaho to terrorist controled plane (coincidentally in Idaho)

Yeah, I'm not gonna take a cheap shot at the writers but that coincidence could've easily been dealt with. The first scene of the show should've been about the terrorists on the plane, before, during or after the hijack, revealing that it was headed to Idaho. This should've either been the first scene or a scene very early on. Then when Palmer and the guy from Felicity went to meet the wheelchair guy in Idaho, that would've been the coincidence, which wouldn't have felt as unnatural. Or better yet, an early scene with the wheelchair guy would've sufficed too. However, by having the first mention of an Idaho hijack when they were conveniently already in Idaho made it seem all too...convenient.

Just my $.02 USD.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:46 pm

So, bottom line, should anyone bother investing their time eyeballing this, or will it be gone before you can say "I like Firefly...."
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:53 pm

I would say give it a chance...
President Palmer's Punky Power should at least get this show 6 episodes...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:44 pm

How about the fact that the reason they got the mission was bacause they were the nearest people from the Unit, if they were in NY they wouldn't have got the gig, there are plenty of other teams in The Unit. I don't think it was a coincidence, I think it was just their story.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby horace on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:37 pm

They were a little too invincible for me. I'll keep watching though to see it develop. Would have been nice to see someone from the unit get dropped though.
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:58 pm

anyone watch this last night?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:06 pm

Yeah....I thought it was a shit episode and my hopes are rapidly dwindling...will give it a couple more tries and if it doesn't improve, well. It's probably doomed to cancel anyways.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:11 pm

oh i'm sure its doomed.
i caught most of it, but the part that pissed me off the most was:
so they captured the terrorist and they are flying home with the prize (i missed who he was or what he did). all of a sudden they all decide to take a nap, and at that moment i knew that that fucking terrorist was going to do something...
i though he would stab one of them (hmm, didn't this just happen on 24).
so president palmer gets up and turns his back on the dude and it was like, cmon you fucktards, i can't fall for this shit!
*grumble grumble*
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Yeah..then Palmer smiles after the dude jumps..like WTF!? Just ALF.

..and the arch with the wives is just lame...let's just cut to some women comforting each other every 5 minutes or so.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Man, what a disapointment this series is.I waited forever for this and its nothing like I thought it would be.I'm a huge Mamet fan and I expect more from him.

This show should've been developed for the FX channel not CBC.Without football CBS would basically be another PAX channel.This reminds me of Michael Mann's short lived Homicide series which was also on CBS.I hope it gets cancelled its to painfull to watch :(
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Strabo on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Yeah, sadly this show is kind of boring. It's Mamet and Ryan watered down and sanitized for the CSI/Law and Order/miscellaneous-bland-procedural crowd. They need to do something BIG and they need to do it SOON.

It occurs to me though that the impending doom we're talking about is only really a creative doom. Sure, this show may lose the hardcore, creative, drama audience that likes shows like The Shield, The Sopranos, Rescue Me, et al., but given how bland it is so far, I'm not sure they were shooting for that audience in the first place. Perhaps they ARE trying to get the CSI/Law and Order/miscellaneous-bland-procedural audience....in which case, I wouldn't be surprised it the show actually survives...

Assuming that's correct and the show does resonate with its target audience and becomes a commercial success, great, I'm happy for Mamet and Ryan. It won't be doing it with me in the audience though.

Also...a quick nit-pick. An arch is that thing over a doorway or other type of gateway. An arc is a pathway between points (typically a segment of the circumference of a circle), but also used to refer to a character or story arc. I.E., the distance covered to get from one point in the story (or character development) to the next, or end, point of the story. Arches often include segments of circles (arcs!) but include other geometries as well. So....get it right. ARC, not ARCH.

/grammar nazi
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Selecter on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:48 am

I didn't catch the 2nd episode, but the 1st one did very well, ratings wise--21 million, so unless it drops off a cliff, I don't think it's doomed.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby cap on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:11 am

jgraphix wrote:
..and the arch with the wives is just lame...let's just cut to some women comforting each other every 5 minutes or so.

That will be a recurring problem with this show.

The rest of it is pretty good.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby horace on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:36 am

I have a feeling that when Thief comes on I will jump ship. Haven't even gotten the motivation to catch up on the second episode.
horace
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 am

I'll keep watching for now purely because of the Mamet style dialogue but I don't think it's neeting it's potential at all, the Unit should be much better shots getting head shots with every bullet fired, these guys are meant to be the best but I only saw a few people capped with the first shot fired, if they were good enough to be in The Unit they would be much better at taking people down.

The Wives thing is to be more inclusive for the ladies and I'm sure it's very well done but I honestly don't care for it too much, I'm sure military spouses love it though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Is anyone still watching this? If so, can they tell me if anything is actually fucking happening on it now or what?

Last episode I watched was 6 I think, and the show looked destined for episodic-ville. I wanna know if i should bother tuning in, or if i can scratch this one off my radar?
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 04, 2006 8:57 pm

I'm still watching it, it's okay when the storyline doesn't cut back to the wives on base, last weeks episode with the Unit going through a interrogation/torture camp training had some good moments. Overall it's just fluff, it's certainly not going to win any awards but there are far worse shows on the air.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Howard Moon on Thu May 04, 2006 9:09 pm

John-Locke wrote:I'm still watching it, it's okay when the storyline doesn't cut back to the wives on base, last weeks episode with the Unit going through a interrogation/torture camp training had some good moments. Overall it's just fluff, it's certainly not going to win any awards but there are far worse shows on the air.

Yeah I hope they will overhaul the show and bascially just get rid of the stuff with the wives. Or at least cut it down to like 7 minutes of the total show. Those parts really drive the show down.
Howard Moon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Thu May 04, 2006 9:35 pm

So it's still pretty much episodic for all intents and purposes?

y'know, aside from the season mystery of why anyone would be attracted to Robert Patrick
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Well, anyone psyched about the Unit's second season beginning tonight?

I know I am. Dennis Haysbert is bad@$$ selling car insurance, giving presidential orders and kicking the @$$ of U.S. targets abroad.

Cool: Yes or No?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Well, the ep. aired and it was pretty good. Predictable on the Wives' story, but the Pakistani/Afgan border stuff was hard.

Anyone?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 am

Fucking goddamnit. The TV TIMES is so bloody inconsistent with its (N) New Episode symbols. I assumed THE UNIT was premiering next week or later. So thank you for the heads up, ONeill. I saw this thread right as the show's starting in my time zone.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:21 am

Fuck, now I can't focus on the show. I was all going into Zone mode for a bit. And I wasn't planning on staying up to 11 either. Piss. I'll just have to catch up next week. AND, I think I'm gonna have to figure out what I'm gonna do about LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT in this slot--it must be on CTV another time...
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:42 am

Double?

Well, I think it's on iTunes today. Or I might be right in saying they stream it on CBS.com. And of course, there are "other" means to obtain it.

It was really good.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Bump b/c Dennis Haysbert kicks @$$.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Strabo on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 pm

Meh...my opinion of this show has not changed. It's tepid, watered-down, Mamet-for-the-masses. I happened to watch Spartan for the first time last weekend...The Unit doesn't begin to compare. The deployment (action oriented) scenes in the episode are bland, and the wives-on-the-base scenes ("drama" oriented) are this disgustingly jingoistic picture of Red Amurka. The whole thing is like watching a giant Tom Clancy masturbation session. It's really bad.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 am

Strabo wrote:Meh...my opinion of this show has not changed. It's tepid, watered-down, Mamet-for-the-masses. I happened to watch Spartan for the first time last weekend...The Unit doesn't begin to compare. The deployment (action oriented) scenes in the episode are bland, and the wives-on-the-base scenes ("drama" oriented) are this disgustingly jingoistic picture of Red Amurka. The whole thing is like watching a giant Tom Clancy masturbation session. It's really bad.

That is why you're a Glib. You just don't get it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Strabo on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:37 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:That is why you're a Glib. You just don't get it.

I'm a "Glib" because I'm a lurker, and you can shove your supercilious attitude right up your ass. I "get" The Unit. I understand that it's crap that doesn't compare to ANYTHING either Mamet or Ryan have done before.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Strabo wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:That is why you're a Glib. You just don't get it.

I'm a "Glib" because I'm a lurker, and you can shove your supercilious attitude right up your ass. I "get" The Unit. I understand that it's crap that doesn't compare to ANYTHING either Mamet or Ryan have done before.

Wow. I was just joking, but the visceral nature of your post gives us a great glimpse into your psyche.

In other words, you'll most likely be banned before Grando Calrissian.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Strabo on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:20 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Wow. I was just joking, but the visceral nature of your post gives us a great glimpse into your psyche.

In other words, you'll most likely be banned before Grando Calrissian.

Ahh, yes, the "I was joking" defense. If you're going to insult me, at least have the balls to stand by your comments. Coward.

On edit:

I'm usually a constructive poster. I posted my opinion, and instead of offering an alternative opinion to mine, you attacked me with the standard "I post more than you, therefore I'm better" bullshit argument. I responded appropriately.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:34 am

Strabo wrote:I'm usually a constructive poster. I posted my opinion, and instead of offering an alternative opinion to mine, you attacked me with the standard "I post more than you, therefore I'm better" bullshit argument. I responded appropriately.

Actually, the proper response was to give me the benefit of the doubt, saying something "Oh, I didn't realize you were joking. My bad. Nevertheless, I feel . . ." not knee-jerking a post with expletives and insults. I would have responded in turn, with something like, "It's nothing. I'm sure you'll be fine here. Excelsior" or something like that.

You see, saying a new person to the Zone is a "Glib" is sort of like when firemen call new firefighters "Probies" during their probational period with the Department. It, being the process of being called a "Glib", has become a hazing ritual which all of us had to endure. If that bothers you, well, you need to grow thicker skin.

But alas, people like you are the reason why people get into car accidents. No one wants to yield and defer to the possibility of a misunderstanding.

Oh well. I guess I'll be the bigger man and yield. Enjoy your stay here at the Zone. Watch out for the EB forum. That place is a wasteland.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:17 am

So, does anyone want to discuss the merits of the show or shall this thread slowly descend into the quicksand of Phantom Zone nothingness.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Next

Return to Coaxial