Jay Sherman (The Critic) appreciation thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:38 pm

monorail77 wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:I just keep thinking . . . it's yet another case of the inequivocal comparison. They are so incredibly different in so many ways (especially with respect to the major factors that usually come into play when judging the quality of a film) that it always seems odd to compare the two films, yet we always come back to debating between them, because they somehow stand up so well against one another. They both define what it is to be classic in their own way . . .

and between the two of them - they pretty much have everything that makes a movie great and classic...

now if they would make Citizen Casablanca or Casblanca Kane...i think we all know where that would lead...

touché

Oy that gets me thinking of that episode of the critic where Duke changed the ending of Casablanca to make it more "upbeat" . . . oh the agony!

Icono, I love the Critic! Its been unfairly forgotton about, don'tcha think?

On that note, I figure it's about time Jay Sherman, and that tragically forgotten show in general, got its own thread dedicated to the discussion of that certain brand of cynicism that helped many of us understand what it really means to know the difference between quality and crap . . . not to mention helped us appreciate that special breed of studly critics :wink:
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:41 pm

It Stinks...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Theta on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:58 pm

I love "The Critic." It was completely doomed from its inception since it not only wasn't the Simpsons, it was for film geeks. But I still love it. Like "Action", it died far too soon (i.e. before they could cross over. Tell me that shit wouldn't have been priceless.)
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:02 pm

havocSchultz wrote:It Stinks...

"Yes, Mr. Sherman, everything stinks."

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Kilgore on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:10 pm

Plus, Jay was in the fabulous 'Simpsons' episode with the Springfield Film Festival, attempting to get Homer to vote for Barney's art-film over 'Football in the Groin'...and I have never forgotten how Jay Sherman made 'Groin' a two-syllable word...

You're dead on Icon...The Critic was way underrated...had Adult Swim been going back in the day, you know this would have been a premiere piece of the puzzle.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Yes, there are just too few episodes of this fine show. I loved all the movie parodies that Jay reviewed. My favourite was the review, and clips of, the sequel to 'E.T." entitled "D.T. - The Drunken Terrestrial"

"I love you Eliot. No, I mean I really, really love you, man."
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Jay's dad always stole the show...he was flat out insane...

"The Critic" was pretty good, but a lot of the time it felt like entire episodes were just being used as excuses to get rid of a bunch of bad reference gags that the writers had laying around.

The same problem I have with "Family Guy."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:39 pm

Theta, Kilgore, and Monorail, I definitely agree with all three of you (especially with monorail on the D.T. parody being superior, though there were so many amazing ones) . . .

buster, I agree that Jay's dad embodied the sort of random hilarity that many shows never succeed in getting right . . . his timing and bizarreness worked consistently. I disagree about the pop references being a setback, though . . . the show was designed with that purpose, yes, but it was admittedly so. What else would you want from a show that parodizes pop culture films constantly, and bases most of its plot lines on such references as well?

Family Guy, while I enjoy the original three seasons, was never quite so sleek in its use of references . . . they always feel forced and with little justification (sometimes to its advantage, more recently to its disadvantage) . . . but I think that horse was already raped and plundered in another thread? . . .

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:44 pm

I really enjoyed the few episodes I saw. I think Jon Lovitz is very underrated as well. One episode was titled "A day at the races and a night at the opera" so it gets points for that just because I'm a big Marx bros fan.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:47 pm

I loved the Critic, it wasn't just about film parodies it was also about a man too obsessed with film to get on with his own life, it's been years since I watched it, about 10 years I think since I last caught an episode but I remember the woman with the little girl that Jay was always trying to get in with and the failed attempts at happiness that plagued his life.

I remember an episode when the family got stuck on a desert Island that made me PAMP a lot, If memory serves correctly they were waited on hand and foot by a family or Monkeys/Apes, I can't quite remember, was their Butler a Monkey or did he just look like one?

I wish this was available on DVD.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:50 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:I really enjoyed the few episodes I saw. I think Jon Lovitz is very underrated as well. One episode was titled "A day at the races and a night at the opera" so it gets points for that just because I'm a big Marx bros fan.

Oooh so that's why you made that reference about harpo in the efbr . . . good episode ^_^

Jay: Mom. Dad. I never made you laugh.
Franklin: Well, I did chuckle a bit when you tried to eat that bird and fell over the cliff.
Eleanor: No Franklin, that was the Road Runner.
Jay: [sadly] No, that was me.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:54 pm

John-Locke wrote:I wish this was available on DVD.

you can still get used copies :?
here
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:14 pm

It's okay I have found a way to get hold of the show without paying any money.

Thanks for the link anyway.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Kilgore on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 pm

Further proof at how underappreciated this show was/still is...after reading the above posts, I had a hankering to find an image of Franklin Sherman as either 'El Kabong' or Baby New Year...no dice...that should be a crime...I did however find a great Shatner quote from "the Critic'

William Shatner: Hello-I'm-William-Shatner-and-this-is-"Celebrity 911." Tonight-we-devote-the-entire-hour-to-police-calls- involving-James-Caan...
[makes face]
William Shatner: CAAN!
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:41 pm

I usesd to love watching this show late at night on the USA channel...I got a good laugh before bad.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm

It didn't stink.

Great side characters, Jay's dad mentioned already, but the Aussie movie "star", Duke (or whatever the hell the name of guy who owned the station) and Jay's son (the Cuba episode was a standout for me "...but I loved the "Mambo Kings!") in particular stood out.

The film parodies were dead on, the writing was aces, and Lovitz was perfect as Jay.

Much missed, tho' I seen 'em all repeatedly.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:27 pm

i remember a parody of speed - called Speed Reader - wherein Keanu and Hopper were in a city library or something - and Hopper says something along the lines of if Keanu reads under 50 WPM the building will explode - and then Keanu gets about half a syllable - or maybe even letter out of his mouth - with quite a bit of work - and then BOOM!

and then Jay says "that wasn't a clip - that was the entire film..."

brilliant... i miss this show... what really stinks is that it was let go too soon - and all but forgotten in the re-surgence of resurrected tv shows to dvd...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I agree, havoc - this show was definitely let go too soon . . .

but wikipedia mentions that in the early 2000s there were a bunch of web episodes that centered mostly on Jay and a new love interest, completely ignoring the existence of Alice . . . and basically not doing true justice to much of the great qualities of the show . . . still, I'm curious how they were - did anyone catch them while they were around?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby buster00 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:38 pm

John-Locke wrote:It's okay I have found a way to get hold of the show without paying any money.

Thanks for the link anyway.

I just wanna point out that John-Locke is a god, in case anyone hasn't caught on.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:01 am

Yes, I enjoyed The Critic, and you can easily see its influences on Family Guy, but I think Family Guy is a much better show, with better characters.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cabiria on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:05 am

Iconoclastica wrote:but wikipedia mentions that in the early 2000s there were a bunch of web episodes that centered mostly on Jay and a new love interest, completely ignoring the existence of Alice . . . and basically not doing true justice to much of the great qualities of the show . . . still, I'm curious how they were - did anyone catch them while they were around?

Looks like they are on the dvd set (according to Amazon) but I've been reluctant to shell out 50 bucks for this, even though this show was really funny and one of my favorites. There was a Misery episode, with a Jay stalker, that was particularly amusing.
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:10 am

Cabiria wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:but wikipedia mentions that in the early 2000s there were a bunch of web episodes that centered mostly on Jay and a new love interest, completely ignoring the existence of Alice . . . and basically not doing true justice to much of the great qualities of the show . . . still, I'm curious how they were - did anyone catch them while they were around?

Looks like they are on the dvd set (according to Amazon) but I've been reluctant to shell out 50 bucks for this, even though this show was really funny and one of my favorites. There was a Misery episode, with a Jay stalker, that was particularly amusing.

Ah thanks - didn't realize that . . . but I agree, I wouldn't shell out the cash for it (this coming from the girl who only bought two dvds in the last year . . . I'm a poor student, what can I say?) . . . I'm hoping to find it previewed cheap some day . . . or awaiting its return to late night comedy central :-D

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Cabiria on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:16 am

John Locke wrote:It's okay I have found a way to get hold of the show without paying any money.

Iconoclastica wrote:Ah thanks - didn't realize that . . . but I agree, I wouldn't shell out the cash for it (this coming from the girl who only bought two dvds in the last year . . . I'm a poor student, what can I say?) . . . I'm hoping to find it previewed cheap some day . . . or awaiting its return to late night comedy central :-D

Looks like you and I have to sidle up to John Locke and suss out his methods... :wink:
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:18 am

Cabiria wrote:
John Locke wrote:It's okay I have found a way to get hold of the show without paying any money.

Iconoclastica wrote:Ah thanks - didn't realize that . . . but I agree, I wouldn't shell out the cash for it (this coming from the girl who only bought two dvds in the last year . . . I'm a poor student, what can I say?) . . . I'm hoping to find it previewed cheap some day . . . or awaiting its return to late night comedy central :-D

Looks like you and I have to sidle up to John Locke and suss out his methods... :wink:

Haha yeah I'm shameless - already propositioned him earlier in the evening :twisted: . . . sucker had to go to sleep early, though, god dammit

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Cabiria on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:22 am

Iconoclastica wrote:Haha yeah I'm shameless - already propositioned him earlier in the evening :twisted: . . . sucker had to go to sleep early, though, god dammit

Sleep? What's that? Oh well, we'll get 'im tomorrow, no doubt.

ETA= Ooo! I'm Monkey Butler. Who'd have thunk it?
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:29 am

Cabiria wrote:Ooo! I'm Monkey Butler. Who'd have thunk it?

congrats!

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:21 am

I wasn't a big fan. The movie parody stuff was funny, but the endless unfunny obese jokes sunk the show for me. I thought it had potential. Not as bad as American Dad though.....After Family Guy's over I always change the channel.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:11 am

I purchased the dvd set for 11 dollars at F.Y.E.

It has webisodes that continued the show...he did had an internet show in which he did movie reviews...it still stinks...

Im very glad to own this show!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby monorail77 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:19 am

Neo Zeed wrote:the endless unfunny obese jokes sunk the show for me.

Only an insecure f at guy would say that :D

Just kidding. I am an insecure f at guy, and I didn't say that.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Kilgore wrote:Plus, Jay was in the fabulous 'Simpsons' episode with the Springfield Film Festival, attempting to get Homer to vote for Barney's art-film over 'Football in the Groin'...and I have never forgotten how Jay Sherman made 'Groin' a two-syllable word...

I love that episode...was watching it on DVD today and noticed for the first time that Matt Groening's name was absent from the titles credits. Having looked it up I found this:

The episode has been subject to some controversy, as some viewers saw it as a mere thirty-minute advertisement for The Critic. Indeed, James L. Brooks was involved in the production of both shows. Among the fiercest critics of the Simpsons episode was creator Matt Groening himself, who promptly removed his name from the credits. In response, Brooks labelled Groening a "gifted, adorable, cuddly ingrate." On the sixth season DVD, Groening is notably absent from the cast and crew commentary on this episode. On a previous DVD commentary including both Jon Lovitz (the Critic) and Matt Groening, Jon Lovitz pointedly mentioned Groening's "support" of the Critic, to all of the participants' consternation.

I knew that there was a seperate show "The Critic", but as it's never made it's way over here I've never taken it as a crossover episode. I've always treated Jay Sherman as another guest character and though nothing of it.

I'm also surprised people thought the episode was bad, as it clearly stands up on it's own without the other show.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Franklin (Or for that fact, any of the dumb characters on a TV show) was probably the funniest out of all of 'em. And my favorite scene with him has to be one based on "The Graduate".

(Flashback to Jay's college graduation party.)
Guest: I have one word for you son...TRUCKING.
(Shot of a truck that says "PLASTICS".)
Franklin: And I have a word for you son..."SNAPPLE"!
Jay: Oh dad, you and your made up words...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Yes, I enjoyed The Critic, and you can easily see its influences on Family Guy, but I think Family Guy is a much better show, with better characters.

Bah! The Dino, he was always happy to hear a the vocal stylings of a the Charles Napier as a the Duke, eh?

It was a the goddamn CHARLES NAPIER, no? What kind of a fan-a-boy donna show a the respect for a the Napier, eh?

Anna you call a yourself a the ZONER...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:20 am

The critic was almost as quoteable as the best simpsons ep.

"Move over I wanna taste blood"

"Jay, my daughter has only been here for 5 minutes and already she wants to taste blood"

"Yeah, listen to how cute she says it.. Bloood!"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Jay Sherman (The Critic) appreciation thread

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:14 am

This show was Marice LeMarche at his best
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby so sorry on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:29 am

Oh man this show was fantastic. A forgotten classic...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Coaxial