Band of Brothers

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Band of Brothers

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:49 pm

I've done a search, but couldn't find any threads about this phenomenal series. I'd say it's the best thing I've ever, EVER witnessed made for television and it's about time it had a thread.

I've had it replaying in the background as I work, turning around occasionally to ingest the incredible cinematography and listening to the note-perfect script and musical score. It's an epic achievement and respects the real-life soldiers involved by being as true to life as possible whilst remaining in a cohesive narrative framework. I don't know just how much was made up (need to watch the extras) but you really feel like you're with them throughout the entire tour of duty.

It's also incredibly shocking and moving... I've had to stop working several times just to sit down for ten minutes and ingest it. Anyone who doesn't get tears in their eyes at the discovery of the concentration camp, or whose heart swells as Easy company make their way up to the Eagles nest, or who doesn't feel fear at imagining the reality of the situation the company faced at Bastogne... simply isn't human.

The treatment of the soldiers as flawed human beings is also well done. You never feel that you're watching anything other than realistically realised men sharing a horrific experience. Even Spiers, who may or may not have massacred a group of prisoners and seems superhuman at some points (even more incredible seeing as people witnessed him run through a German line twice over) comes off as someone real. The Germans never get the short shrift either, depicted as a people fighting for a cause they thought was right. The moment when Winters shoots one of the Hitler Youth SS, and his expression, has a ton of impact on both the viewer and the character... The moment between Nixon and the Nazi commanders wife doesn't place any judgement on her and lets the viewer do the work as he invades her house and later witnesses her moving the bodies in the camp.

Great examples of "show, don't tell".

So let's hear it for BOB. Forgive me if there's already another thread, but as I said... I couldn't find it. But this incredible series deserves at least a shout of its own in The Zone's Coaxial forum.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:33 pm

The baseball game at the end makes me bawl like a baby. This series is one of the best things ever filmed. From the writing, to the acting, to Michael Kamen's amazing score. Every character - perfect. Every moment filmed - perfect.

I hope Speilberg and Hanks get around to the Pacific Ocean WWII series that they were going to do. The thought of anything more in this same vein is just gravy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:36 pm

What timing. I was about to whinge about no-one seeming to care about anything but fantasy crap. :P Yeah, that basketball scene got me checking the internet to catch up on the "gang". Sobel has an interesting history... strikes me he wasn't the nicest fella in the world after all.

The uncomfortable thing about viewing this as entertainment is that... well, it's real. That said... its hard not to enjoy it and be affected by it. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar series with concentration on the Pacific theatre though, as long as its dealt with with as much pathos and sensitivity as Band of Brothers.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby clownboy on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I'd love to see Hanks and Speilberg put their talent to a mini-series based on the Flying Tigers, VMF-214, and Pappy Boyington.
clownboy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:01 pm

Hands down, the best mini series ever on TV. This is truly powerful stuff.

The scene that always got me was when they were taunting the captured Germans, and one ends up being a German-American from Oregon whose parents forced him to go back and "fight for the motherland." Anyway, the American soldier says they should meet up later when things are over, and the Kraut is like, "Yeah, sure." He didn't have to say that he knew he was about to die. Sure enough, he gets his last smoke a few minutes later, and we and the American soldier simultaneously hear the gunshots. Powerful stuff.

One contention though. There was one scene that TOTALLY sucked me out of the immersion that the entire series created, and that was when fucking JIMMY FALLON showed up to butcher some dialog. Who in the fucking right mind thought that was a good decision. FUCK! Other than that one bit though, the series is flawless. David Schwimmer even manages to impress.

I seriously hope the Pacific Theatre BOB comes sooner rather than later.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Oh yeah, and this is probably Michael Kamen's best work. Although I liked his Robin Hood score very much too.

And a little trivia:

Did you know all the major cast members from BOB provide the American voices in the recently released WWII video game Call of Duty 2? Now you do.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Fallon was just...a bizarre choice.

I've watched and re-watched the series on DVD and I still watch it when it randomly shows up on the History Channel. Easily my favorite mini-series of all time.

I heard rumors quite a while back about a second series set in the Pacific theater, or maybe North Africa/Italy. Anyone hear similar rumblings?

The most pleasant surprise of the entire mini-series: Donnie Wahlberg.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Jimmy Fallon is going to be the first contestant on my game show "Persona Non Grata", wherein I erase contestants from history and the audience’s memory.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm

I have no HBO, so i missed the original brodcasts (yes i know it was replayed on the history channel, but that's not an HD broadcast). my best friend RAVED about it, and i'm waiting for him to buy the DVDs so i can watch them.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:50 pm

Get the book in the interim. It's a good read.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Get the book in the interim. It's a good read.

*sniff*

I CAN'T READ! *sniff*
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Fallon was just...a bizarre choice.

I've watched and re-watched the series on DVD and I still watch it when it randomly shows up on the History Channel. Easily my favorite mini-series of all time.

I heard rumors quite a while back about a second series set in the Pacific theater, or maybe North Africa/Italy. Anyone hear similar rumblings?

The most pleasant surprise of the entire mini-series: Donnie Wahlberg.

Yeah. Donnie was great. I really liked the guy that played Guanere (sp?) though.

And here's a little info. It's kid of old, so I don't know the status of the project.

http://thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1937935
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Wahlberg, Ron Livingston, Damien Lewis, and Neil McDonough are all just perfect in the whole series.

Because of the quality and sincerity of all the actors' performances in this series, I'm always hoping the best for their future work. Damien Lewis... what the hell!? This guy should be doing more than just Dreamcatcher.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:07 pm

It is an outstanding series.

A lot of it was filmed in Hatfield, where I happened to be at university at the time. There were several occasions where is really sounded like a war was going on.

And to think Spielberg was going to set up a film studio there until the local council turned him down.....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sputo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:39 am

Fievel wrote:Wahlberg, Ron Livingston, Damien Lewis, and Neil McDonough are all just perfect in the whole series.

Because of the quality and sincerity of all the actors' performances in this series, I'm always hoping the best for their future work. Damien Lewis... what the hell!? This guy should be doing more than just Dreamcatcher.

Very true!!! my fav. character in the series. What about his other films, can anyone recommend? I hope he gets some good roles, and we get to see more of him in the future.
I have to say, the more I see him (and please excuse me for saying it here, you know because of the serious theme of the series) and the way he delivered some of his lines in Band Of Brothers, plus that quiet charisma he had playing Maj. Winters, he could make a great Matt Murdock.
sputo
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:55 am

The guy who was Bull Randleman was good too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:20 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:The guy who was Bull Randleman was good too.

That guy pops up all over the place. He's on the road to becoming "That Guy." And I don't mean that in a bad way. Last I saw him was on Over There.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:42 am

so sorry wrote:I have no HBO, so i missed the original brodcasts (yes i know it was replayed on the history channel, but that's not an HD broadcast). my best friend RAVED about it, and i'm waiting for him to buy the DVDs so i can watch them.

Gimme your address, I'll SEND the fuckers to you...it's that good.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:46 am

Fievel wrote:Wahlberg, Ron Livingston, Damien Lewis, and Neil McDonough are all just perfect in the whole series.

I couldn't agree more. The relationship between Nix and Winters (Livingston and Lewis for those who haven't seen it) is really a great microcosm of the relationships of all the guys. Not only do they become best friends through the war but...SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they work together after. Great stuff.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:53 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:The guy who was Bull Randleman was good too.

That guy pops up all over the place. He's on the road to becoming "That Guy." And I don't mean that in a bad way. Last I saw him was on Over There.

He was in Lost a few episodes back, as Ana-Lucia's police partner in her flashback.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:48 pm

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that one.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Belac on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:10 pm

I finished watching it for the first time today.

Truly an amazing series. The end had me crying like a baby... with manly tears, you understand.
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby smatterkitty on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:13 pm

I've seen the series a bunch of times, but I'm completely blanking on who Jimmy Fallon was?

Can someone tell me who he is or at least what part he shows up in.

God this is driving me crazy.

thanks.
I'm hungry, let's get some of that F-ing Freeench Toast!
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I didn't wanna say that myself, so thanks for piping up. :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:29 pm

smatterkitty wrote:I've seen the series a bunch of times, but I'm completely blanking on who Jimmy Fallon was?

Can someone tell me who he is or at least what part he shows up in.

God this is driving me crazy.

thanks.

He shows up for a second when Easy is heading into the forest at Bastogne, he's driving a jeep and talks to...someone, I can't remember now, Winters and Nix I think. He tells them they are short on supplies and the Germans are advancing. His appearance is...jarring.

EDIT: on the other hand, it was the first time in history the douche didn't crack up while delivering a line...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:EDIT: on the other hand, it was the first time in history the douche didn't crack up while delivering a line...

True, but rumor has it that Horatio Sanz was off camera giggling away in an uncontrolable fit of hysterics.

I remember reading when it came out that Colin Hanks had a tiny role in the series, and at first I thought that was an act of douche-induced casting. Hell, Colin NAILED his part and Fallon walked away with the Golden Douche Award on that project.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Fievel wrote:Hell, Colin NAILED his part

Yeah he did, I was very pleasantly surprised by his performance as well...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby smatterkitty on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:27 pm

I had no idea this entire world of underground Jimmy Fallon hating existed.

Oh well, I guess you learn something new everyday.
I'm hungry, let's get some of that F-ing Freeench Toast!
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby WillowFan on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:17 pm

I never noticed this Jimmy Fallon guy before, but I'll watch out for him.

I just watched episode 4, 'Replacements', today. Very good, but I think this show has too much fighting.

No really, I think the scenes of the characters talking about stuff or doing stuff is more interesting than seeing bombs going off.

That said, I'm always surprised at the special effects in the show. Especially when they showed bombs going off in Eindhoven at the end of episode 4 - were those cgi with a green screen, or really bombs going off in the distance? Because I thought 'probably too expensive to bomb that whole place in the background', but then the camera refocused and we got a clearer shot, and it all seemed 100% real.

I was fucking SHOCKED to find out that most of the Bastogne scenes in the snow were filmed indoors. Everything but a few establishing shots from a distance were in a big soundstage in England. Incredible.
WillowFan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Having read the book, and the phenomenal amounts of fighting in that and first-hand accounts of heroics in the line of fire, it'd be hard to do this show with any LESS fighting. This is what happened in Easy during their Tour of Duty... it was WW2, after all... I'm sure there were prolonged periods of not much happening, but the idea of the show is to take us to the most intense battles that they suffered through. This is what pulled them together, first the grind of training with Sobel and then the sudden horror of war that they find themselves right in the middle in. This experience is what made them, in their own words, "brothers".

The episode Bastogne makes brilliant use of the shock of artillery and the calm inbetween. Unfortunately, I don't think there was any other way to make this other than be true to life... if we spent the entire time during the more quiet periods we'd never have a true representation of their experience.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WillowFan on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Yeah, the fights in Bastogne, and in Day of Days in particular stand out to me as particularly good ones. I remember being glad that I'd never have to go through that Bastogne experience for real.
WillowFan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:19 pm

We woul;bn't ne herw whare we aren wo postiong shit on this xowne if it wenren;t forour bOB gyus.

Don;t fpgrget that.

gentlemen!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:07 pm

WA-BUMP!

As I've noted in the "What Are You Watching on DVD?" thread, I watched this whole series about three months back and was way, way impressed. I've caught the recent reruns on the History Channel too, and I get a rush of good feelings every time I recognize key parts.

Well, fellow fans will be happy to know that I just talked to a friend who works for Playtone, Tom Hanks' production company and producers of Band of Brothers. Apparently, they're currently developing a COMPANION PIECE focusing on the Pacific theater!! Another 10-part miniseries for HBO!! Holy shit!!

It's not exactly a news story just yet because it's still early, but it IS happening! Joy!!

:D
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 pm

That is great frickin' news! Thanks Whedo!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:18 pm

About time as well.
Excellant news.
Thanks MW.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:38 pm

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Band of Brothers was amazing. Flat out amazing. I'd heard something about this maybe as long as a year ago, but then heard nothing for the longest time, was afraid maybe it wasn't happening. Great news MW!!!!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:44 pm

The Pacific Theater project has been rumored since BOB originally aired on HBO. Is it actually going to happen now?! That would be beyond cool.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:26 pm

Saving Private Ryan was the spark that led to Band of Brothers being made. Supposedly HBO is now waiting to see what sort of reaction "Flags Of Our Fathers" gets before fully greenlighting Pacific Theatre.

From what I've read, the project is still being developed. Several scripts were developed, drafts were submitted and the writers are waiting for HBO to decide. (This was reported in the New York Times in May/June, but I can't find the source at the moment)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Hmm. I wonder if Ron Livingstone's character gets a reprise....didn't he go on to the Pacific theatre?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Hmm. I wonder if Ron Livingstone's character gets a reprise....didn't he go on to the Pacific theatre?

Lew Nixon didn't go on to the Pacific Theater, I don't think any Easy men did that I know of, at least following the defeat of Germany, there may have been a few who transferred during the course of the war. Maj. Winters tried, but was denied.

I don't think you'll see any returning characters, keep in mind that, despite some inaccuracies, BOB is non-fiction. I expect the sequel mini-series will be the same, and hopefully focus on another real-life small unit that saw some serious action in the Pacific.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Really? Damn - I could have sworn one of them had trouble adjusting and soon after went back into active service and fought down in The Pacific. I thought it was either Nixon or Winters.

Damn, they were right, the memory was next....i guess eyesight will be next.

Are those....are those udders....>gropes<

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, Nixon did have trouble adjusting, and went through a string of failed marriages, drinking, etc. But didn't return to active service. Keep in mind that the fall of Japan was only a few months after Germany surrendered.

Winters went back into service for Korea, but didn't see action.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks Moo....I stand corrected

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:09 pm

I think Lieutenant Speirs stayed with Easy company and when to Japan.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 pm

Fried Gold backing me up?

I look exactly like my sig right now... :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think Lieutenant Speirs stayed with Easy company and when to Japan.

Speirs did stay with Easy, but the war ended before Easy could be sent to Japan.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:13 pm

It would suprise me that HBO would wait to see how Flags Of Our Fathers does. Band Of Brothers came out a few years after Saving Private Ryan and did more than okay on its own. You'd think they'd be able to sell the new one on that merit alone, if they even needed to. I think a lot of people equate the word "quality" with HBO's productions.

Anyone read Winters' (fairly) new book? I thought about checking it out via Audible.com, but my wish list is pretty stacked already.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Just to check am I the only one who was totally underwhelmed by this?

I saw it once on TV and it left absolutely no impression on me, I can't even remeber anything of it right now.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Al_Shut wrote:Just to check am I the only one who was totally underwhelmed by this?

I saw it once on TV and it left absolutely no impression on me, I can't even remeber anything of it right now.

Wow.
Be sure to turn in your Humanity Card on the way out.

You watched the entire series (10+ hours, and the documentary on the men of Easy Company) and came away with nothing!?

-No sense of how a simple company of troops could help impact a major war at so many key points?
-No sense of how difficult it was to simply survive the war?
-No sense of relief that there isn't a draft being instituted to fight today's skirmishes?
-No sense of how difficult it must be to watch people/friends/brothers that you've trained with/etc. die at the cruel mercy of war?
-No sense of thankfulness that so many gave their lives?
-No sense of awe that a major historical atrocity (Holocuast) was unheard of for so long, especially by the troops fighting the war?
-No sense of the lasting effects of having to endure so much?

or... did you watch one part (episode) and not get anything out of it? Seriously, I don't know anyone that watched the entire production and wasn't moved in some way by it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:17 am

I didn't watch the documentary but I watched most of the series, a rough estimate would be 80%, towards the end my discipline kind of faded.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Next

Return to Coaxial