What Are You Watching On TV?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:38 pm

UK tv... Sky One... in 15 minutes...

The PTB have decided to ease the football lull with the original Superman at 8... right soon.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby mushookie on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:39 pm

anyone watch Eureka 7, on Adult Swim?
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:28 pm

mushookie wrote:anyone watch Eureka 7, on Adult Swim?

Eh. Why, is it good? I've tried to get into it, but either I can't get past my own cynicism to engage it as anything more than another giant-robot anime off the assembly line or it's just flat-out boring. The animation's gorgeous though, no denying that.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:36 am

Heads up UK Zoners.

West Wing marathon on More4 all day and all night.

Sit back and bask in the witty brilliant greatness.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Flumm on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:56 pm

I just came across the original The Out of Towners on the box earlier, and found inescapably myself making time to watching chunks of it inbetween busy life stuff. When ever I see Lemon on screen, he never fails to draw me in.

Normally when people talk about "it", they reserve it for the latest wannabe fresh faced ingenue wafting into view, but what ever "it" is, it's so much broader and the particular pout of youthfull beauty. I think it's about people who command attention, people who emitt life in from their eyes in someway, that little bit brighter, just that bit more vividly than the average. It doesn't have to come from beauty, I think it can, and often does, but it's about cutting through the haze, and making people invest something in you. Through gentleness, or a deftness of touch, through humour, weakness, frailty, strength, a sense of madness, a sense of genius, what ever the thing that draws people in, what ever the medium, somehow pulling people out of their own mind, out of theirselves, and empathising deeply in another persons fate. Through laughter or tears, turning that internal spotlight from skimming through your own thoughts, for a few moments at least, and caring about another person's existance more than your own.

I think one of the strange things about how it manifests in acting, is that, even though there are layers between the audience and the real person, of performance, and storytelling, it is often as much as much about the actor, the qualities that belong to them as individuals, as it is the character...

The performace can be amazing, the character realised to a unnatural degree, making the story stronger than otherwise would have been, and yet it dually brings the character to life, as much as it evokes awe and love for the actor portraying it. We know there is a performance, we can love the performance being created, yet its never wholesale. We are part of the game. The more the illusion is brought to life, the more life we see in the illusionist.

Mmm, anyways, what ever "it" is, in his own specific way, Lemon had spades of it.

"...I'm a person, and I'm stronger than a
city!!!"

Also, I just love that 1970's feel of NYC. Where the technicolor brightness of the 60's has subsided (although I love that too in it's own way), and the stagey, soft focous, power pop, trash filled LA'ness of the 80's hasn't arrived in films, where there's less layers of Hollywood on the lense, it's all a lot more tangible, more natural, and it's almost as if you were there...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Cronnebergs The Fly on Channel 5 right now. Classic, terrifying sick sick sick body horror. Anyone who considers themselves a movie geek should watch this.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 pm

Armando Ianuccis' new show TIME TRUMPET is about to start on BBC2, should be good!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:53 am

Dont forget Star Trek OS and TNG are on BBC2 today starting from Noon

Great to have them back on Terrestrial!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

What Are You Watching On TV?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:07 am

The tick the cartoon on toon disney! I fucking love this show
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 pm

Tough choice tonight.

On BBC1 is either Lake Placid and Raw Deal or over on C4 its Jackass the movie.

Decisions decisions
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:42 am

ET is on ITV 2 at 2.40 pm today and Princess Mononoke is on FilmFour at 4.00pm.........good day for filims!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:43 am

Kill Bill Vol. 1 over here
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:58 am

Oooo. Freaking Highlander is on!!! God I love 3 in the morning...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:59 am

Awesome!!........

which one will you choose?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:03 am

KB just ended. So there is no choice.

But now I saw that Zapped! with Scott Baio is on and I am torn...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:05 am

Fuck Zapped!...get yourself some Spanisch Peacock!

I could have written that better
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:06 am

Ha ha ha.

But I love Scott Baio...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:37 pm

I just watched the first installment of this series called ShakespeaRe-Told on BBC America yesterday. The concept is that a bunch of Shakespeare's most famous plays are transplanted into a modern setting. Sort of like all those high school comedies of recent years, except the plot probably adheres more closely to the story in these versions. However, all of the Bard's original language is gone.

Last night's play was "Much Ado About Nothing," starring Keane's Damian Lewis. In it, Benedick and Beatrice are co-anchors on a news program. I liked it quite a bit, actually. The dialogue, especially the banter between the two lovebirds, was still really witty in spite of getting rid of Shakespeare's famous lines. There was a sweetness to it all; some thoughtful observations about modern relationships, too. It hewed very close to the source material, but I think anyone just watching the film with no knowledge of the original play would find it engaging as well. There was no visible flop sweat from trying to contemporize the story; something about it just seemed to fit. Plus, Damian Lewis was surprisingly hilarious.

Next week on ShakespeaRe-Told we Yanks get "MacBeth." I'm a little more skeptical of that one; it's set in a restaurant kitchen now, and some chef's wife convinces him to try and kill the head chef so that he can become head chef, or something? I'm sorta wary of modern updates of the Scottish play. I don't think it works very well, which is odd because it's probably the one that gets updated most often. But it's like... people don't just kill people so that they can inherit the keys to a tire depot, or a Burger King, or an infantry in the army, or whatever it is. Although I did think the shot of Lady MacBeth furiously scrubbing her hands was kind of clever, seeing as how she works in a kitchen and all.

Any of the UK Zoners keeping track of this show? How far along is it across the pond?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tfactor on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:05 pm

So last night I tried to get caught up on some shows right, afterwards I didn't feel like the shows had been worthy of the anticipation I had had.

first up Dead Like Me, which I think is a mildly smart show with a creative and unique twist. This season has started out alright but it seems the show is already going thru a restructuring of the cast and we're what like 4 episodes in? wtf? Plus the show doesn't seem to follow its own rules (for example episode 1, george is told that "well lit" place is not for her or any of the reapers and they can't go there until there work on earth is done, plus they have to pass the job on first also. Yet the other night one of them jumped off a "lit" cliff after the person who had died, and nothing happens!!! except inigo writes a sticky note and leaves it on his door saying "what happened to her?" Then we get this weeks episode which introduced a new gal, who is just completely fucking annoying, she's the "actress type" so you can imagine what a PITA she must be. I don't know how much more I can do, as much as I love Mandy Patinkin as an actor - something tells me this show will not have the success Criminal Minds has had.

So then I get caught up on Eureka, which I've liked a lot despite the fact that the pilot was not really the same story as the rest of the episodes. So two weeks ago, the episode was absolutely awesome (the one where the guy had the short term memory eraser) freaking loved it. But then this weeks was just kinda bland, the female cop actually cracked the sheriff in the face with a gun, yet a few minutes later its as though nothing had happened. I don't know about this I guess after last weeks installment I was hoping for more, but it felt like the show just wasn't trying anymore or something. and the ending was just so damn stupid. Aliens - then no aliens, well wtf was up with the slug looking things in that guys face?

So then I really played ketchup with the 4400, which I think this season has just completely lost its edge. I love the show and I will keep watching but all this shit with Isabelle has become a little boring. yeah she can do "anything she wants" I get it, but can someone please explain to me why she isn't like being schooled or taught anything by anyone? she should have the smartest people in the world as her teachers and mentors all pointing her in the right direction morally and otherwise. But NOOO she's too busy force choking people and forcing Shawn to marry her, but who fucking cares! I feel like this show has lost a writer that was key in the first season or something. I feel like they are rushing the hell out of the whole "end of mankind" war or battle or whatever the hell it is. So now the government is creating people with 4400 "abilities", well HELLO???? these 4400 were sent back from the future supposedly to save mankind, why would it be a bad thing if more people became like those 4400 sent from the future? it just doesn't make sense and I'm pissed because I can easily see interest in this show fading to nothing fast.

alright work sucks and I'm damn swamped, I just wanted to get that off my chest and see what some of you thought of these shows? Plus I don't have the time to search for each thread for each show, so apoligies for the bundled post here. :D
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Nice reviews, trev.

I agree with you about the direction "The 4400" is taking. Haven't seen "Dead Like Me" or "Eureka" so I don't know about those, although I'm a little disappointed to hear that they don't seem to deliver.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Ribbons wrote:Any of the UK Zoners keeping track of this show? How far along is it across the pond?

This feels vaguely familliar, I think it may have been on last winter or so on the BBC, Ribbs. I think I seem to remember it was one of those things I didn't realise was on, untill it had just passed. I may be wrong though...

As for some TV watching of my own, I think it's been mentioned here and there, but the newly free to air digital channel Film Four, are currently running a Miyazaki season during the late afternoons over here, and I tuned in earlier to watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind...

Out of the handfull of Hayao Miyazaki's films I've scene, I would say this would be the one that most succeeded for me the most so far. I really found the way it dealt with typical good VS bad, nature VS mankind, apocolyptic world type themes, skewed them a little, changed the perspectives enough that it felt compelling to watch beyond the intrinsic gorgeousness of the animation alone, and managed to tell a story that felt relatively original to me...

...that was untill my neighbour turned up and rang the doorbell 15 minutes from the end of the movie, a trap from which I was unable to flee, as she spotted me in the mirror on the wall and waved happily... :( :x ... then with minimal input from me, continued to yack for several minutes about nothing at all, remarkably so I almost thought, untill that is I had waking fantasies of turning into a giant anime beetle and going blind with rage, stampeding straight through her with my squiggly beetle paws, my front yard wall, the apposing housing estate, the seafront hotels, the pier, down through the ocean, then Northern Europe on and on and so forth, continually circling the globe in an endless rampage of merciless fury, a biological tool of mother nature, wreaking apon the squeeling grub of humanity the wrath of a thousand generations of impudence against the hallowed earth that spawned it forth...

OK, I didn't REALLY think that, but that's what I'm thinking now for the purposes of amusing me/you to compensate for whingeyness, a self imposed form of linguistic cranial acupuncture, so it counts just the same.

Sigh, and I'm gonna have to hope that the version that I can rent online is the same uncut, remastered edition that was on TV, too...

Damn one's lack of giant Miyazaki earth beetle-ness!

Anyhows, mock angry patter aside, for those that have seen it, among all the the many other things that were going on (and forgive me if it's something that's been discussed lots before) but it seems to me that this must have been one of the many influences for the Wachowski, right? For the life of me, I can't recall it coming up before with the usual contenders connected with the Matrix trilogy, yet it felt while watching it, llke it must have been more than just a small influence...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:Nice reviews, trev.

I agree with you about the direction "The 4400" is taking. Haven't seen "Dead Like Me" or "Eureka" so I don't know about those, although I'm a little disappointed to hear that they don't seem to deliver.

thanks ribbons and right back at you for the coverage on this shakespeare show, it actually sounds pretty cool. Plus I think I'd like to see Jonesy in something new. When and where is this on?

btw ribbons - earlier I wrote a huge 10 paragraph bit on "what you need to know to watch Eureka or DLM", I was trying to get you just the important details but I freaking lost it all by accidently hitting some mystery button which makes my browser act like the village drunk on "penny beer" night. UUUUuuuugGGGggggHHhhhhhh I was so pissed, had to step away for a few minutes to calm down.

anyway you got a link or something for this show you mentioned? It sounds pretty cool and I'd like to check it out.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 pm

tfactor wrote:anyway you got a link or something for this show you mentioned? It sounds pretty cool and I'd like to check it out.

I did a quick Google search and this seems to be the best link; hopefully it's helpful:

It's on, uhh... 7 o'clock Sunday nights on BBC America I think? I'm not 100% sure about the time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Petri on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 am

Yeah T, I'm with you too on the 4400 analysis. My wife was a huge fan of the 4400 but now she could care less about it thanks to Isabelle.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 am

"The Day The Earth Stood Still" is on AMC right now, just started 10 minutes ago. i love this movie. a must see for anyone who calls themselves a movie-geek, imho.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:39 am

Battlestar Galactica... the single best show in TV

Great writing. With payoffs and reveals the set ups that it makes Lost look like Grange Hill but written by 10 year olds with great ideas.... and no idea how to conclude them!

"Hey.... whats in the hatch all the viewers care about in season 3? I mean we did spent a lot of time creating a mystery about it. "

"Ahhhh don't worry about it! Lets think of something later, perhaps in season 7... people will say were being clever and intelligent, that is a huge idea, but we won't ever mention the hatch till then. Trust me... people who insult us will be berated by people who think they're super intelligent cos they like a show where none of the set ups are ever remotely concluded"

"Thanks for the advice J.J... heres 5 million... don't call us... we'll call you"

"Okay Carlton you... you... I can't think of anything..."

P.S, I went on a huge rant in the talkbacks earlier about this! I should mention I do like lost... a lot... but they're refusal to pay off anythign stops it, in my book, becoming the best thing on TV! I wonder when someone the setups in season 1 will be paid off?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:02 pm

I guess I'm the only one... :-( I was hoping for a bit of fun at the very least! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:29 am

OK so I've been wondering why everytime Dead Like Me comes on there are these begining recaps from the previous episodes, which don't seem to make much sense and they usually included footage none of the 3 of us remembered. Which we thought was just weird but then we were in Best Buy the other day and we saw this:

dead like me - the complete first season
and
dead like me - the complete second season

so as it turns out this was originally a Showtime TV series from 2003-2004, which is just being re-aired on scifi channel now. Which means we've seriously been tricked here and I'm a little pissed off about it tbh

You know when I first saw coming attractions for this a couple months ago I was like alright this could be interesting, so we start watching and as I've said previously the show was making some poor choices in my opinion - story and character wise, but I was sticking it thru anyway because I did really like a couple of the episodes.

Only to find out that, this is it for this show. There will not be a next season or anything continued from this, basically we got two seasons of DVDs and its done.

SHANNANAGANS!!
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Peven wrote:"The Day The Earth Stood Still" is on AMC right now, just started 10 minutes ago. i love this movie. a must see for anyone who calls themselves a movie-geek, imho.

Between TDTESS & The Haunting, Robert Wise ascends to godhood.
Even if those were the only two films he ever made.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:00 pm

The Avengers. Just ended. Always at 3. Must watch.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:22 pm

UK tv (film four)

League Of Gentlemen Apocalypse - 15 minutes in right now..
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:43 pm

the second series of exras starts next week and looks very funny. The first guest appearence is going to be Orlando Bloom. The first episode looks at the sitcom that 'Andy' got the green light for in the first series. It looks like My Hero, that terrible British sitcom about the superhero with Father Dougal Maguire in it. It may be very painful to watch...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Watching the Last Night of the Proms

It's great to be British!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:23 pm

At the moment... Multitasking.

NASCAR race and a couple of college football games

I can tell you what I'll be watching tomorrow - NFL. All day, all the time.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Just finished watching the repeat of Jonathan Ross with the Ricky Gervais interview in advance of Extras 2 (next thursday, BBC2).

It looks even funnier than the first Extras.

I heard Gervais on a Radio interview about 4 weeks ago saying not only is he not interested in doing any more Extras....but that both he and Stephen Merchant feel they have now done "comedy" and that the next project they do will be most likely drama...but certainly a complete new genre.

I can understand that - but it was still pretty disappointing to hear. I hope he keeps his Stand-up stuff going at the very least.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:22 pm

watching the US Open women's tennis championship match. Henin-Hardenne vs Sharapova. Sharapova won the first set 6-4, and they are on-serve 2-2 in the second set right now. pretty good mtach so far, though i am really pulling for Henin-Hardenne and hope she can come back to pull this one out.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:38 pm

Peven wrote:watching the US Open women's tennis championship match. Henin-Hardenne vs Sharapova. Sharapova won the first set 6-4, and they are on-serve 2-2 in the second set right now. pretty good mtach so far, though i am really pulling for Henin-Hardenne and hope she can come back to pull this one out.

How she doing now then? I felt quite sorry for her missing out on Wimbledon - she looked wiped out before the match had even begun on account of all the competitions she'd been in beforehand. Mind you - I'd have felt bad for Mauresmio if she had lost too...it was one of those finals this year...no natural bad guy (erm, girl I guess).

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:41 pm

Tennis?......we're talking tennis now?

Tennis!?!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Sharapova is on the verge of winning it all, up a break, 5-3 in the second, Henin-Hardenne is serving to stay in the match.

edit: now 5-4 in the second set, with Sharapova about to serve for the match.

edit edit: Sharapova wins, 6-4, 6-4

and wtf is wrong with tennis, Lugz? huh, huh, HUH?????!!!!!!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:22 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Tennis?......we're talking tennis now?

Tennis!?!

You haven't been talking at all, so, you know...this blame must have been for you

*shoves untouched plate full of blame at Lugz*

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:01 pm

The Path To 9/11 is now starting on BBC2

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh contraversial!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Enigma is on tonight, starting at 10.15....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:41 pm

LA Confidential is on FilmFour at 9pm
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

An old favourite - HAPPY GILMORE has just started on Channel 4... :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:36 pm

I am watching the Gilmore Girls season premier...do we not have a Gilmore Girls Thread?!?!?! I couldn't find one.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 pm

GG is one show I just could never get into. Since it's on before VM I figure I'll give it another shot, but I think I have a serious case of I Don't Get It.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 pm

I saw an interesting show the other week, United Gates of America, from a series of programmes BBC are running lately, in which this investigative journalist went in and lived in what I took to be an infamous Gated Community called Canyon Lake, in Cali for a month...

Apart from being really well presented by this guy, Charlie LeDuff, as an example of painfull, quietely numbing TV, of how people keep seeming to be perpatrating these same patterns of behaviour, desipite how hollow and unnourishing they are to them in any way, from a palpable stick to your own mentality, to rampant incestous social climbing, out and out entrenched racism (especially towards the migrant Mexican peeps who even behind a huge gated wall, still substantiated their workforce and labour) and just the general overall, empty, plastic inhumanity that seems to eminate from these parts of the world, whether they're behind gates or no.

Really well put together I think, the questions beings asked by LeDuff, the kinda apparently casual upbeat way he went about it, interacted with the community, while still exploring and serving the ideas more than simply pointing and shooting and regarding people from a distance.

All the more memorable for the statics given about most new homes in California now are apparently being built behind these same kinda walls...

Really provocotive, surreal, melancholic, oddly touching stuff.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead is starting on BBC 1 soon
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:04 pm

True Lies is about to start on ITV2................I dont care what you say, it's AWESOME!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Dogma followed by True Lies..

today, little brother, life is good!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial