MASTERS OF HORROR Season Two News!!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

MASTERS OF HORROR Season Two News!!

Postby Moriarty on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:54 pm

dope
i am eagerly looking forward to whatever you have cooked up as a follow up to le fin absolut du monde, mori!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:58 pm

I don't have SHOWTIME!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

(Hopefully these will be out on DVD sometime in the future??? If so, hope will keep me alive -er- undead till then...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 pm

ahem *cough coughtorrentscough cough*
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:05 pm

Most of them aren't that good really so far, Mori's was without a doubt the best so far, way better than the others.

Dante's and Landis' efforts were okay, more comedies, the first one was good and the rest were completely forgetable.

Still I'll watch Season 2 too, I hope they have a bigger budget this time.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:06 pm

also, on the main site, herc posted this link

i dont know if the full first season will be released, but apparently, at least this one will.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Sweet...Even though the eps have been mediocre at best, I still enjoy the hell outta watching these every week. I liked Jenifer and the one with that whacked out bald dude. Great guilty pleasure. I hope they get some new blood for season 2, Eli Roth, Del Tormo would be cool and a Tarantino ep would be killer.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Great Script, But What If on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:10 pm

To hell with this series. No holds barred horror my ass. Mori I wish you luck with your second Masters of Horror script but any show that drops a Miike episode cannot be considered a platform for true horror.

Considering the Miike fiasco, this quote from Mick Garris is completely ridiculous...

[i]"We truly want to continue to stretch the envelope and do the kinds of things that go beyond the commonplace mall-cinema fare.â€
Great Script, But What If
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Shit, I didn't know they dropped the Miike spot.

I've been anxiously awaiting that one and now I'll never get to see it?

Phuckers.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm not sure about that one, I don't think Miike was really made for TV

Can you imagine getting back from a tiring day at work, switching on the ol' silver screen to see if you can find anything brainless to distract you from your blistering headache, just something to relax the muscles a bit, and then that scene from Ichi the Killer comes on where the eponymous anti-hero is slicing up hookers-in-half left, right and centre?

Watching a Miike film has to be like a decision, "I am ready for the Miike!", and then you hit the play button on the DVD Player. If you push the envelope too hard you'll break the thing and have to get a new one. Humanity can only evolve at its own pace.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 pm

jgraphix wrote:Sweet...Even though the eps have been mediocre at best, I still enjoy the hell outta watching these every week. I liked Jenifer and the one with that whacked out bald dude. Great guilty pleasure. I hope they get some new blood for season 2, Eli Roth, Del Tormo would be cool and a Tarantino ep would be killer.

Tarantino shouldn't do one. He's not a Masterof Horror. I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to pull it off, but the series is more about the big names in horror collaberating, and not just having big names make em.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:20 pm

They had a couple of directors that weren't really THAT big... they made a horror movie or two...IMO that doesn't constitute being called a master. Honestly if it were MASTERS of horror it would be a short lived show because IMO there are only a few that should hold that title. They should re-name it to:

Expiramentations in Horror
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:23 pm

In that case, I say we get Wong kar-Wai to do one.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:24 pm

that would be cool...maybe Cronenberg?
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Great Script, But What If on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:26 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Watching a Miike film has to be like a decision, "I am ready for the Miike!", and then you hit the play button on the DVD Player. If you push the envelope too hard you'll break the thing and have to get a new one. Humanity can only evolve at its own pace.

You seem to have missed the point of what this series was promised to be. This was a series called Masters of Horror that promised freedom to the directors to push the boundaries of what horror is. Pushing the envelope too hard is exactly what Garris has been flogging in interviews since this series was announced.
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Great Script, But What If wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Watching a Miike film has to be like a decision, "I am ready for the Miike!", and then you hit the play button on the DVD Player. If you push the envelope too hard you'll break the thing and have to get a new one. Humanity can only evolve at its own pace.

You seem to have missed the point of what this series was promised to be. This was a series called Masters of Horror that promised freedom to the directors to push the boundaries of what horror is. Pushing the envelope too hard is exactly what Garris has been flogging in interviews since this series was announced.

Just goes to show...you can't trust anyone in Hollywood.
Friggin liars, they reel you in with promises of pleasure and then they ass rape you. It's like a bad night in TJ with a tranny hooker.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Great Script, But What If on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Here' a link to the times article about Miike's episode being dropped. Looks like it will be released on dvd though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/arts/television/ 19horr.html?oref=login

Here's the full article for those who don't want to register to the Times...

And then there were 12.

The Showtime cable network says that the broadcast of "Imprint," the penultimate episode of its 13-part anthology series "Masters of Horror," has been cancelled. Through a spokesman, the network declined further comment.

Originally scheduled to have its premiere on Jan. 27, "Imprint," directed by the renegade Japanese filmmaker Takashi Miike, will be replaced by "Haeckel's Tale," an adaptation of a short story by Clive Barker directed by John McNaughton ("Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer"). All references to "Imprint" were removed from the Showtime Web site, though a trailer for the episode remains on mastersofhorror.net, the site sponsored by the series's production company, IDT Entertainment.

The concept behind "Masters of Horror" was to give carte blanche to a group of respected horror film directors, both veterans like John Carpenter, Joe Dante and John Landis and newcomers like Lucky McKee ("May") and William Malone ("Fear Dot Com"). The filmmakers would be given their choice of material and freedom from corporate censorship in exchange for creating their work on a tight budget and short schedule.

Mr. Miike, 45, is a deliberately and spectacularly transgressive director whose work is lionized by a substantial share of the young generation of Internet critics and horror film fans, while routinely rejected as repulsively sadistic by much of the mainstream media. To date, his most notorious film has been "Audition" (2000), a cautionary tale about a middle-aged man who holds a fake audition for a movie role to search for a bride, only to be caught in his own game of cruelty when one of the candidates, a seemingly demure young woman, turns the tables on him and subjects him to a prolonged session of graphic torture.

"Imprint" may go even further, and clearly represents something more than Showtime bargained for. "I think it's amazing, but it's even hard for me to watch," said Mick Garris, the creator and executive producer of the series. "It's definitely the most disturbing film I've ever seen." It will now be released directly to the DVD market through IDT's home video subsidiary, Anchor Bay Entertainment, along with the rest of the episodes in the series. No date has been announced.

Mr. Miike, who speaks no English and is rushing to complete his latest theatrical feature, "Waru: Final," for release in Japan on Feb. 25, was not available for comment.

"Imprint," which has a much more polished look than most of Mr. Miike's work, plays like an infernal variation on "Memoirs of a Geisha." In mid-19th-century Japan, an American journalist (the genre stalwart Billy Drago) goes in search of the prostitute he has fallen in love with but was forced to abandon.

The American's quest leads him to a mysterious island zoned exclusively for dimly lighted brothels, where one procurer, a syphilitic midget, introduces him to a relatively sympathetic prostitute (Youki Kudoh, who also appears in "Memoirs of a Geisha"). Hideously deformed, the right side of her face pulled into a permanent rictus, the nameless woman tells the American the terrible story of what happened to his lover, throwing in at no extra charge the story of her own hideous childhood as the daughter of impoverished outcasts.

As the woman's story continues, her revelations, scrupulously visualized, become more and more outlandish, and her descriptions of the violence done to the missing prostitute, who was suspected of stealing a ring from the brothel's madam, become more cruelly imaginative and difficult to stomach. But the most shocking imagery is yet to come, as the nameless woman describes her collaboration in her mother's work as an abortionist.

"Imprint" was filmed in Japan under the aegis of Mr. Miike's regular production company, rather than in Vancouver, where the series is based and most of its other episodes were shot. "Definitely, at the script stage we made comments about the aborted fetuses," Mr. Garris said. "We made it clear that we were going on American pay cable television, and even though there wasn't as much control over content, there still were concerns. And then when we got the first cut, it was very, very strong stuff, and we made some suggestions on what might help before we showed it to Showtime. The Japanese made the changes they were comfortable with, and eventually we arrived at a film that he was happy with and we're all happy with. But Showtime felt it was not something they were comfortable putting out on the airwaves."

"Imprint," Mr. Garris suggested, was not the sort of film that could be trimmed a bit here and there to make it more acceptable. "It is what it is," he said.

"It really was, let's try and not hack this up," Mr. Garris concluded. "Let's all just agree to release it in its complete form on the DVD, and hopefully its audience will be able to find it that way."
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit. I mean come on. If you pay for Showtime and turn it to Masters of Horror, you'd expect to see fucked up shit. Pussy Ass Middle America
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Yes!!!

I want to see what else they pull out.

and I can't wait to see the poe.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:22 pm

[quote="Great Script, But What If"]To hell with this series. No holds barred horror my ass. Mori I wish you luck with your second Masters of Horror script but any show that drops a Miike episode cannot be considered a platform for true horror.

Considering the Miike fiasco, this quote from Mick Garris is completely ridiculous...

[i]"We truly want to continue to stretch the envelope and do the kinds of things that go beyond the commonplace mall-cinema fare.â€
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Great Script, But What If on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Well, now we know that at least one of the Masters DVD wil sell through the roof. Here it is, the episode they wouldn't let you see! Get it now at for only $19.95! Oh well, at least we will get the chance to see it. Since you were invovled with the series, Mori, have you had the chance to see Miike's contribution?

And I admit I was pretty harsh towards the other directors but it's because I feel in my opinion that the series has fallen very far from the mark originally set. Which was to push the boundaries of horror. To me these episodes haven't offered up anything new or anything that can be considered groundbreaking. It seems most of them saw the freedom given to them as only a chance to include gratuitous gore which has been the crutch of horror directors for years. I mean if you can't disturb an audience and leave them feeling shaken then lets just throw as much blood on the screen as possible. Granted, Miike loves his bloody grue but gore in and of itself does not constitute an effective horror film. I was hoping for some true dread and atmosphere with this series but instead it's one mediocrity after another. Of course I'm pretty goddamned hard to please anymore when it comes to horror. Damn it guys here's your chance! Blow our freaking minds. I can only hope that with the second season mind blowing will be a weekly occurence.
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:07 pm

I Know I'm going to sound like a brown nose but I found the Angel Snuff premise of Smokey Thingie Burns pretty mind blowing, and the decapitation, I think it could have gone through another draft but still met my expectations especially after the other episodes. I left some comments in the Smokey Thingie Burns thread a while ago if you'd care to comment Drew?

I did think there might be a case of Anchor Bay or whoever trying to get people to buy the whole Series on DVD because there is one episode not aired and it gets free publicity, but then if they are available seperately obviously not.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:08 am

Masters of Horror was the biggest disappointment of 2005.

There is actually a strong case to be made that the sitcom Freddie, which is just plain horrible, is actually 10 times better than MoH.

The average episode I'd give a 3/10 rating. And that's being generous.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:20 am

Someone please stop Stuart Gordon and his one man quest to shit out Lovecraft (and now Poe) adaptations that turn the work into lazy myopic flicks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:22 am

I thought it was funny how Mori had the chance to do any episode in the whole world, absolutely anything, and he chose to make that derivative Ringu-plagiarised crap.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 am

I didn't think it was altogether disappointing. I thought Stuart Gordon's ep was one of the creepiest things I've seen in awhile. I also thought it was probably the best lovecraft adaptation to hit the screen. I dug Landis' Deer Woman. It had that tongue in cheek American werewolf vibe which I am a sucker for. Joint burns in my opinion was excellent, not exactly Carpenter's style (I think of it as the ep Argento should have made). Fair Haired child I also found creepy and an enjoyable watch. Now for the bad. I thought Aregento's ep was complete shit. He's been circling the drain for years in my opinion and I was really really hoping for a return to form but it just seems hes too far gone. The pick me up ep with Fairuza Balk was ridiculous. It wasn't funny, it wasn't chilling, it was poorly acted. Michael Moriarty seemed as though he suffered a stroke midway through the ep and never recovered. It reminded me of one of the more terrible campy old eps of Tales From the Crypt. Tobe Hooper's ep was predictable and aside from the guests all being charred at the birthday party didn't really stick with me. It seemed like it was aimed at kid who go to hot topic and just sort of mope around. Forbidden young love, death, generally morose sort of shit. The zombie soldier ep I just couldn't stand. It wasn't subtle in the slightest. It was the most ALF club you over the head Bush is bad, the war is bad, etc. propaganda bit and waste of an hour I have ever seen on TV. I'm not even a Bush supporter I just think there are more subtle ways to execute allegory while respecting the audience's intelligence enough to realise that they'll get it in the end.
Bottom line I think there are worse ways to spend an hour watching TV, and if you dig horror it's not so bad to see those who were at least for a brief time great take another crack at it. I'll watch it as long as its on seeing as the only other genre TV show is Supernatural on the WB and lord know I'm not watching that crap.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:41 am

You know, it's not like the only choice on tv is either Supernatural or MoH.

If that was the case, we'd all have killed ourselves by now.

What I'm saying is, you can't defend MoH by saying the competition is crap.

MoH makers had complete creative license, they were on pa cable so could show just about anything, they had big name directors and writers...and still they messed up beyond belief.

It was gore, but not fun gore, just boring and sickly gore which just gets tiring really fast. It had some of the worst acting I've seen in recent years, some pretty bad effects, horrendous dialogue, bad music, poor direction (with all the big names!), and nonsensical and ridiculous storylines.

It was, for all intents and purposes, a monstrosity of a show.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am

I agree with you on all of those Malachi, I also thought the first ep was pretty good but over all I have had more jumps and scares from watching Supernatural, everything is stolen from films but it has still managed to creep me out more times than Masters of Horror bacause the majority of the episodes were pretty crap, especially Jennifer (Argento's) and Tobe Hoopers episodes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am

The first episode was a mess.

The whole idea about the girl being this experienced moutain-trained person fell flat because her 'traps' were so silly. The time she spent on those should have been spent on running the fuck away!

And the eye-gouging was pointless. And the old man...who was he? What was he talking about? Did we even care? And why was the monster himself not even explained? Even the most basic explanation for his existence and teh whole point of it all would have helped.

Add in poor pacing, boring flashbacks, and nothing really happening, and you have yourself a stinker, my child.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am

Hey I didn't say it was a perfect episode but it was certainly more fun and entertaining than most of the episodes despite it's short comings.

Moon Face was a good character I thought.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am

Coscarelli's was the one I was most disappointed in since I am a massive Phantasm fan. I agree the inclusion of Angus Scrimm just to have him there for fans was pointless.
My Supernatural comment was sort of heat of the moment, I actually don't mind the show. It's always sitting there in my Tivo and some of them are decent enough and well executed. I think what I'm really not a fan of is the way the cinematogrophy and lighting ape the american remakes of asian horror films. That grey sort of color scheme. It seems they said to themselves "you know what hits big at the box office every weekend? Let's make it look like that". Although they did have enough sense in their heads to throw Amy Acker in the episode about the drownings. mmmmmm fred.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:54 am

I did think moonface was a pretty cool character and had he been in a big screen film would have become at least as iconic as the cat from jeepers creepers.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:55 am

I thought his makeup was excellent, better than most Buffy monsters, for example.

Still, the writing of this show was so bad that it didn't matter how great the directors and production values were. And the production values weren't particularly good and the directors were far past their prime.

We need a MoH with Shyamalan, Whedon, Edgar Wright, Darin Morgan, Rodridguez and Miike.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:55 am

I still say Gordon can't adapt his way out of a wet paper sack. (How anyone adapting a story to the screen would allow them to escape any sort of sack let alone a flimsy wet one is beyond me but Gordon sure couldn't do it.)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:59 am

I dig that lineup you propsed. Edgar Wright would be fantastic. They need a Del toro ep for sure. I'd also like to see some folks not really known for horror thrown in the mix (yeah I get that its Masters of horro) maybe guys like Christopher Nolan, maybe Bryan Singer.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:04 pm

For a Masters of Comedy, we'd need to have Whedon, Espenson, Larry David, Gervais and Merchant, Darin Morgan, Groening, Pegg, Dan Vebber, Mike White, Kevin Smith, and I can't go on because I'm so wet at the prospect, I need to clean myself up.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Yeah that dream line up was cool, I'd add Gore Verbinski to that list If I may, I found his Ring remake pretty effective and I'd like to see him do something a bit more hardcore.

Oh and Lynch too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:07 pm

I would have been brought to a similar rapturous abrupt completion had you included one more small thing. A Masters of comedy where they tie Dane Cook to a mule like in Beyond thunderdome and send him out into the desert. Sweet sweet comedic justice
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:08 pm

I'd kill my mother for a Lynch ep of Masters. Really somebody let him know I'll run by her house and make it happen.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Malachi Constant's Mom wrote: ummm - ya - you're not part of the family... oh ya - and you're adopted... :P
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:17 pm

I'd imagine that Morgan and Wong would jump at the chance to write and direct an episode of MoH, and I'd actually be confident that their episode would be excellent.

But I guess they aren't as big masters as people like Tobe Hooper. :(
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:18 pm

Mother is that you?
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Tonay wrote:I'd imagine that Morgan and Wong would jump at the chance to write and direct an episode of MoH, and I'd actually be confident that their episode would be excellent.

But I guess they aren't as big masters as people like Tobe Hooper. :(

yes - cause Teh One scared the hell outta me...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:23 pm

You've clearly never seen The X Files, or Final Destination.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:25 pm

"Ok so here it is.....These Kids get on the Teacups at Disney, when one of them has a vision they'll all die on them! Death proceeds to pick them off one by one as they were not meant to fool with death's design! Horror gold right boys?"
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Tonay wrote:You've clearly never seen The X Files, or Final Destination.

oh - but i have - they have some skill - they just haven't convinced me of their "master" status - final destination was enjoyable - but it was not a staple of the horror genre - inventive - to an extent - but not scary or terrifying in the least... i will wait and see and judge at that point - but Teh One still scared the hell outta me - for some reason or another - and not in a good way...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Malachi Constant on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:26 pm

I keed I keed. Their x-files work is top notch and the first final destination was quite clever.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Malachi Constant wrote:"Ok so here it is.....These Kids get on the Teacups at Disney, when one of them has a vision they'll all die on them! Death proceeds to pick them off one by one as they were not meant to fool with death's design! Horror gold right boys?"

those teacups should be masters of horror themselves...you go on those looped outta your mind -

scariest.

ride.

ever.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Malachi Constant wrote:"Ok so here it is.....These Kids get on the Teacups at Disney, when one of them has a vision they'll all die on them! Death proceeds to pick them off one by one as they were not meant to fool with death's design! Horror gold right boys?"

those teacups should be masters of horror themselves...you go on those looped outta your mind -

scariest.

ride.

ever.

i get queezy just thinking about going on that ride.
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:34 pm

The Ghost Train is obviously the scariest ride. Those plastic manaquins with attached speakers scare the hell out of me.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Next

Return to Coaxial