Top Chef

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Top Chef

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm

has anyone else been watching this show on Bravo? i came very very close to going to chef school in my younger days, and still really enjoy cooking, so the cooking aspect is a hook for me, but it has plenty of the standard reality-tv drama and personality clashes to entertain as well.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:30 pm

ok, no one ever responded to my post about the first season, which was very entertaining, and here are now, 3 weeks into the 2nd season, a whole new batch of chefs, and plenty of personality clashes, drama, and contraversy. for anyone interested, new show tomorrow night at 10 on Bravo, and they run replays during the day throughout the week.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 pm

hmmm

ive never seen it, never even heard of it.......

until now.

this sounds very much "up my alley" as it were.
thanks for the tip, peven. im sure to set my tivo for this now.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 pm

I've been catching bits and pieces of the show since the new season came on. It actually does look pretty fascinating, and I'll probably try to catch up with the whole thing whenever Bravo runs a gigantic marathon a couple weeks or so down the road.

My favorite challenge so far was when they had to make the dishes under 500 calories; chefs can get pretty industrious when resources are limited.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:50 pm

if you want an idea of what the show is about, and when they show reruns, check out the site, http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/index.shtml

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:36 am

Okay, so I just watched a full episode last night where they had to make meals based on sins and color themes.

Why do they all hate that Marcel guy so much? I guess he seems kind of cocky, but they say some pretty awful things to him that seem completely uncalled for. Did he rape one of their mothers earlier on in the season or something?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:52 am

I think that I asked about this in Random Coaxial but is this like The Iron Chef?? I love and miss that show...

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:29 am

Sort of. Contestants are required to cook dishes that meet certain requirements, and a panel of judges decides both the winner and the loser each week. The loser goes home, and the rest of the contestants continue on. Whoever is "Top Chef," or the last chef remaining at the end of the show, gets a considerable sum of money, a write-up in Food & Wine Magazine, and I think a bunch of cooking appliances.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 am

Cool. I might try and find an ep or two. Thanks Ribbons... :)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 am

Ribbons wrote:Okay, so I just watched a full episode last night where they had to make meals based on sins and color themes.

Why do they all hate that Marcel guy so much? I guess he seems kind of cocky, but they say some pretty awful things to him that seem completely uncalled for. Did he rape one of their mothers earlier on in the season or something?

you saw what was probably the nastiest show out of 1 1/2 seasons. while there have been personality clashes in the past the contestants have never behaved so poorly. as for Marcel, he is young and cocky, which might be irritating but certainly not deserving of the vitriol spewed at him by Sam(can you say date rapist?) or Elan (Sam's little buddy), or Betty (going through menapause). i honestly started out this season disliking Marcel myself, because he did come in with something of an arrogant attitude, but over the course of the season so far i have come around some to respect that he is there to win, as he says, "it is all about the food", not putting on a fake front to suck up to everyone.

meanwhile, i am totally crushing on the french chick, Elia.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:43 am

Ribbons wrote:Sort of. Contestants are required to cook dishes that meet certain requirements, and a panel of judges decides both the winner and the loser each week. The loser goes home, and the rest of the contestants continue on. Whoever is "Top Chef," or the last chef remaining at the end of the show, gets a considerable sum of money, a write-up in Food & Wine Magazine, and I think a bunch of cooking appliances.

Sounds a lot like the Masterchef programme we have here.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:46 am

I think these guys in Top Chef are already professional Chefs, unlike the amateur cooks that take part in Masterchef.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 am

Mmmmmm... Cogitate on this I will.
Last edited by magicmonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 am

In that case Masterchef is clearly superior.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:52 am

magicmonkey wrote:Mmmmmm... Cogitate on this I will.

Hahahahaha. Nice.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:53 am

Peven wrote:you saw what was probably the nastiest show out of 1 1/2 seasons. while there have been personality clashes in the past the contestants have never behaved so poorly. as for Marcel, he is young and cocky, which might be irritating but certainly not deserving of the vitriol spewed at him by Sam(can you say date rapist?) or Elan (Sam's little buddy), or Betty (going through menapause). i honestly started out this season disliking Marcel myself, because he did come in with something of an arrogant attitude, but over the course of the season so far i have come around some to respect that he is there to win, as he says, "it is all about the food", not putting on a fake front to suck up to everyone.

meanwhile, i am totally crushing on the french chick, Elia.

I felt so bad for him. I wanted somebody to stand up for him.

The French chick, yeah. She seemed the most together with the meals; I bet she'll be one of the final contestants. I like it when the chefs get really excited when they're talking about the dishes they plan on making; it's cool to see how much they love what they do.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:07 pm

ok, i did some digging to find this thread, I don't know if anyone around here is even watching, but if they are, heads up, lets get this going as the 4th season is going
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:21 pm

i have watched this show from the very first episode of the very first season. i am not really a reality show person either, in general. some very good chefs and interesting personality clashes this season so far

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 am

I watch Top Chef too. I missed most of the first season, but I think I've seen everything since then. There are good chefs on this season, but there doesn't seem to be anybody as stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb as Hung was last season. He was fun to watch - mouthy and full of himself, but he backed it up with amazing skills.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 pm

minstrel wrote:I watch Top Chef too. I missed most of the first season, but I think I've seen everything since then. There are good chefs on this season, but there doesn't seem to be anybody as stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb as Hung was last season. He was fun to watch - mouthy and full of himself, but he backed it up with amazing skills.

they are some really good chefs, noone is consistently mouthy and full of themselves one week it might be Andrew, the next it might be Spike, then Richard, or Lisa or you know hat I mean
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Bloo wrote:
minstrel wrote:I watch Top Chef too. I missed most of the first season, but I think I've seen everything since then. There are good chefs on this season, but there doesn't seem to be anybody as stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb as Hung was last season. He was fun to watch - mouthy and full of himself, but he backed it up with amazing skills.

they are some really good chefs, noone is consistently mouthy and full of themselves one week it might be Andrew, the next it might be Spike, then Richard, or Lisa or you know hat I mean

Andrew is the biggest mouth this season. I tend to compare Richard with Marcel, from two seasons ago, and he's a heck of a lot nicer guy, so he's not in the "asshole" category, IMO.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 pm

I'd agree with that

BTW did you know that Richard has been on Iron Chef America

I THINK he battled Batali and lost, but I could be wrong

I've seen some other TC chefs on ICA too, but as sous chefs
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:36 pm

I didn't know Richard was on Iron Chef America! I'd have to look that up. I used to have a bunch of Batali Iron Chef battles on my DirecTV recorder, but they're gone now.

Thanks for the info!
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:32 pm

hey man no problem, I thought it was interesting, I thought I had recognized him and then I looked it up after someone at ew.com pointed it out and sure enough

I just double checked on wikipedia but it as season 3, episode 20 right after the rachel ray one Blais was defeated by Batali in Battle Chickpeas
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:34 am

GARBANZO BEANS!!!

That was a good episode...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:55 am

Batali is almost unbeatable on Iron Chef. actually, i can't recall ever seeing him lose

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:33 am

I'd like to see Batali battle Morimoto...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 am

havocSchultz wrote:I'd like to see Batali battle Morimoto...

THAT would be cool. would have to pick an ingredient that didn't favor either guy, because they each own their own particular styles.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Peven wrote:Batali is almost unbeatable on Iron Chef. actually, i can't recall ever seeing him lose

I've seen Batali lose once, to John Besh in Battle Andouille.

Of course, John Besh is from New Orleans, where Andouille sausage is a staple food. Batali cooks Italian, and I don't know if the Italians EVER use Andouille sausage.

So the deck was stacked in Besh's favor.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Thu May 01, 2008 6:24 pm

Didn't Batali and Morimoto Battle each other in Icron Chef America: Battle of the masters where the 3 ICA chefs were Flay, Morimoto, and Puck and the original IC chefs were Morimoto and Iron Chef France, whose name escapes me right now

anyways, liked last nights ep of TC but man Lisa needs to GO
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: Top Chef

Postby Bloo on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:13 am

Top Chef season...I think this is season 5 begin in November if anyone but me is interested

Top chef New York which is interesting becasue I thought for some reason they were going to New Orleans

anyways that makes 2 seasons in California (1 & 2) one in Florida (3) and one in Ill. (4)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:50 am

bump because I can LOL

and I have to make this my own TC blog so be it LOL
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Bloo wrote:bump because I can LOL

i have been watching this show from the first show of the first season. ok so far this season, i like the brother vs brother dynamic

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Peven wrote:
Bloo wrote:bump because I can LOL

i have been watching this show from the first show of the first season. ok so far this season, i like the brother vs brother dynamic

yeah I'm a first season watcher too...I'm like the brothers too and unlike the girlfriends from Chicago it seems they both can cook, I'm also like Kevin (? The Mountain man looking dude from ATL) and I think Ron (The Hatian) is the dark horse this year provided he doesn't get screwed over in an early team challenge as he doesn't seem to have a real strong personality
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:06 pm

i am betting on Grizzly jr., he seems to really know his shit, though at least one of the brothers should be in it right till the end, too

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Peven wrote:i am betting on Grizzly jr., he seems to really know his shit, though at least one of the brothers should be in it right till the end, too

yeah they only way I can see Grizzly Jr. not winning it is if he had a Blais level screw up in the finales
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 am

Grizzley Jr and Bryan V both have big important wins...Mike V also makes one of the dishes the judges liked with the chick that worked for Ripert...Bryan V worked along side cocky Mike I who I think is going to coast on teammates skills late into the season

I haven't seen any real serious skills from him and he's an ass so...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Grizzly Jr. is middle of the pack on both challenges this week, but they gave lots of compliments to his food in the tasting

Brothers V at the top again, with Bryan pulling out ANOTHER win

Good Burger (my name for Hatian Ron because he looks like Keenan) squeaks by without getting eliminated

the old lady is another one with a squeak by

Frenchie gets eliminated (finally!))
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Brothers V are chefs to be reckoned with.

Kevinwithabeard is, in my view, the leader of the pack, because he's won a few challenges so far and has not been in the bottom 3 yet. The guy looks like he hasn't moved out of Mom's basement yet, but he has serious cooking skills! Whatever the challenge is, he's there with the goods.

Haiti Ron won't last. He's been in the bottom 3 a lot and doesn't seem to have the chops to contend.

Ashley Merriman is someone I feel sorry for, because her heart's in the right place, but she doesn't have the horses to contend. She'll be gone soon.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:13 pm

minstrel wrote:Brothers V are chefs to be reckoned with.

Kevinwithabeard is, in my view, the leader of the pack, because he's won a few challenges so far and has not been in the bottom 3 yet. The guy looks like he hasn't moved out of Mom's basement yet, but he has serious cooking skills! Whatever the challenge is, he's there with the goods.

Haiti Ron won't last. He's been in the bottom 3 a lot and doesn't seem to have the chops to contend.

Ashley Merriman is someone I feel sorry for, because her heart's in the right place, but she doesn't have the horses to contend. She'll be gone soon.

yeah it's hard to believe that Kevin is married and runs a resturant with his Grizzly Adams look but he keeps proving himself

Mike I I think is going to be the guy that floats through to at least top 5 or 6

Jenn (who worked with Ripert) is another force to be recokend with
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

minstrel wrote:Ashley Merriman is someone I feel sorry for, because her heart's in the right place, but she doesn't have the horses to contend. She'll be gone soon.

Bye bye Ashley. Undercooked prawns and salty gnocchi just doesn't quite cut it!

I agree, Rick has proven he has the right ingredients to be the next top chef. I think he looks more like Yukon Cornelius then Grizzly Adams though.

Lastly, Tyler Florence as a judge. Dayum! Can he be on each week? :oops: :oops:

Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Maui, good call on Yukon Cornelius over Grizzly Adams

I really thought Ash was going to get cut instead of Ashley after the butt kissing he gave Micheal V., like washing paintbrushes for Piacasso? Really? I mean he makes good food but, really

hey I'm straight and I could look at Tyler Florence, I just wish Alton Brown would be able to get on this show, but he's so wrapped up with Food Network that it's not liekly to happen

I'm assuming Emirel and Tyler are both done with their FN contracts is how they've been allowed to be on? I know Flay, Mario, and Brown are always three that are mentioned whenever the bravo blogs asks viewers who they'd like back as a judge

and I don't get the Toby Young hate, speaking of the TC bloggers out there, I love the dude except for his paella spelling/pronounciation thing from a couple of weeks ago

I'm guessing Ash, Eli, or Robin is out next week

we're in the slow middle section where it's just picking people off that you know aren't going to make it to the end, it's just a matter of how bad they screw up
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Bloo wrote:hey I'm straight and I could look at Tyler Florence, I just wish Alton Brown would be able to get on this show, but he's so wrapped up with Food Network that it's not liekly to happen

Yeah, I've had my eye on Florence since Planet Food. Alton is great, but he's too busy with Good Eats and Iron Chef America. Do you watch Anthony Bourdain too?

I'm not digging the Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas format, but whatever - Top Chef is a fantastic show, so I'll put up with it

I think Eli will go next.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Maui wrote:
Bloo wrote:hey I'm straight and I could look at Tyler Florence, I just wish Alton Brown would be able to get on this show, but he's so wrapped up with Food Network that it's not liekly to happen

Yeah, I've had my eye on Florence since Planet Food. Alton is great, but he's too busy with Good Eats and Iron Chef America. Do you watch Anthony Bourdain too?

I'm not digging the Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas format, but whatever - Top Chef is a fantastic show, so I'll put up with it

I think Eli will go next.

I LOVE Bourdain, I wish he was on more often, he hasn't been on since TC:NY when he filled in for Tom on Resturant Wars. But I love No Reservations

I think I first saw Floreance on Food 911

yeah I'm not sold on this Las Vegas format but it's ok for now while the field is still pretty wide
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

next week is the finale and the final 3 are the expected final 3, The Voltiaggo Bros and Kevin Gillispe

here over the past couple of weeks they've been kind of setting up a rivalry between, I think Micheal, and Kevin...with Micheal calling Kevin's food "simple" and "what I cook on my day off" but Kevin pulling off some wins, so I'm guessing it comes down to those 2 and I'm hoping Kevin and The Beard pull out a win...but on the other hand, the runner ups tend to get more attention/guest shots/blogs then the winners, so maybe I do want one of the Volt bros to win
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 pm

I want Kevin to win. Sure, maybe his food is simpler than the Volt guys', but it seems more like the kind of food I'd want to eat. Besides, I get frosted by the Volts when they keep dissing Kevin's food ("what I cook on my day off") etc., even though Kevin keeps winning the challenges.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm with ya in rooting for Kevin, though my luck at picking finalists the past couple of years has been good, my winners haven't been

I thought Blais was going to win and he didn't

I thought Stefan was going to win last season

and I was rooting for Tim Love at the TC Masters (and he didn't make it to the finales)

so maybe I've finally picked a winner

and yeah the Volts are kinda arrogant asses, it'll be interesting to see if any of their comments are addressed on the inevitable reunion show
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Finale Tonight go Kevin fuck Micheal Voltoggio
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 pm

score!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 am

Damn.

Kevin didn't have his best day, but he was the best chef over the season. And I wouldn't want to eat the food the Volt brothers make, anyway. I wanted Kevin to win.

But he did well, and profited lots from his Top Chefness, even if he didn't win.

Still, arrgh.
minstrel

Next

Return to Coaxial