Top Chef

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Top Chef

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 am

I hear ya damn! damn! damn!

but it actually seems that the runner ups seem to get more exposure in later seasons/on the internet/in the resturant world then the winners do

so it's a double edged blade
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 pm

This is the only food-related thread that I could find with the Zone's fabulous search engine. Any of you renegade foodies interested in starting a FOOD Network thread to discuss such fabulous shows like Chopped, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Cupcake Wars, 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, Challenge, Ace of Cakes, etc.????

P.S. The lack of response to this post will be a sufficient answer.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Maui wrote:This is the only food-related thread that I could find with the Zone's fabulous search engine. Any of you renegade foodies interested in starting a FOOD Network thread to discuss such fabulous shows like Chopped, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Cupcake Wars, 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, Challenge, Ace of Cakes, etc.????

P.S. The lack of response to this post will be a sufficient answer.

Go ahead, Maui. I'm down with food.

Not into Cupcake Wars or anything involving making big stupid cakes. Iron Chef and stuff like that is cool, though. And Alton Brown. And Michael Symon. Stuff like that.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:16 pm

i like Chopped

and i like turtles.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm always down with discussing cooking shows
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Cool you guys! I won't make the thread exclusively FOOD Network. The Cooking Channel certainly serves up a lot of great shows too. Basically, the thread can be a placeholder for any cooking show.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm

FUCK Top Chef: Just Desserts

that is all

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:52 am

Peven wrote:FUCK Top Chef: Just Desserts

that is all

I watched the first 3 weeks, wasn't all THAT impressed and so I quit

I am looking forward to Top Chef All Stars, hopefully Blais will win
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:40 am

Bloo wrote:

that is all

like past seasons of Top Chef where they shoot themselves in the foot is in eliminating people not based on their food but their personalities, and so if you are someone who is more into cooking than the popularity game disappointment is almost inevitable. with this season the more flamboyant and prissy a male contestant was and the more they played it up to the panel the further they went in the contest regardless of what they made. the guy who week to week produced the best quality food was shortchanged in the finale and the little darling of the panel, who anyone could see they wanted to win from early on...won. fuck them

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Peven wrote:
Bloo wrote:

that is all

like past seasons of Top Chef where they shoot themselves in the foot is in eliminating people not based on their food but their personalities, and so if you are someone who is more into cooking than the popularity game disappointment is almost inevitable. with this season the more flamboyant and prissy a male contestant was and the more they played it up to the panel the further they went in the contest regardless of what they made. the guy who week to week produced the best quality food was shortchanged in the finale and the little darling of the panel, who anyone could see they wanted to win from early on...won. fuck them

His chocolate souffles fell apart though (with or without Heather's help). Regardless of his culinary prowess week after week, Morgan's souffles all collapsed (well a few didn't). That is a HUGE pastry faux pas for the final competition. I really liked Morgan, he was obviously the best, but when I saw his souffles all toppled over, I knew it would go to Yigit.

I really enjoyed this show. I hope that we see a 2nd season of Top Chef Just Desserts.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I felt the same way about season 2 when Blais produced the most consistent dishes and wins and yet in the end lost to Stephanie (?) while all season long they hinted that "will this be the first season a female wins Top chef".

I read their blogs and I know they always say that it's based on food and not on the producers whims, but sometimes I wonder.

But it sounds like this season, like Chicago, the best chef kind of shot himself in the foot when it came to the finale. Sometimes I think they should take the WHOLE season into consideration when choosing the winner.

I just also read that Bourdain will be a regular judge (alternating with Gail Simmons) on All Stars
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Heather hated Morgan and repeatedly talked about how she despised him and wanted him to lose. is it any surprise that when paired with her that his dish didn't succeed?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 am

2 episodes into All-Stars and already controversory

Elia, the season 1 finalist, was the first eliminated and she's been bitching about it, accusing Tom Collicho of basically selling out and saying that other contestants broke the rules, etc. Sounds like a whiny bitch to me, but that's just me.

Jennifer Carroll, another finalist, was the 2nd eliminated.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 am

Bloo wrote:2 episodes into All-Stars and already controversory

Elia, the season 1 finalist, was the first eliminated and she's been bitching about it, accusing Tom Collicho of basically selling out and saying that other contestants broke the rules, etc. Sounds like a whiny bitch to me, but that's just me.

Jennifer Carroll, another finalist, was the 2nd eliminated.

hey, don't you be talking shit about Elia! :twisted: they have always made decisions based as much on personality as the food, and many times it has seemed that who they think will draw more viewers has more to do with who stays and who goes than who's dish was worst. (just read the fine print they flash up on screen for all of 2 seconds and you'll see where they actually say that decisions are not made by just the "judges' and that producers have a hand in deciding who goes and stays) between the cartoonish Italian dude and the fish-faced creepy wine guy I am betting they kept them and let Elia go due to going after ratings more than quality of food.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am

I thought it was rather funny watching those kids all amped up on sugar after their late night snack.

Not sure what to think of Jen's retort to the judges. It's hard to say whether or not it was her aggressive attitude or bland eggs that got her booted off last night.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm just repeating what Bourdain and Collicho have said, I'm just the messenger. I do think Elia did the least amount of fixes to her dish, and the challenge was to make the dish that sent you home, work, not to recreate the dish exactly but add bacon. However I've never been an Elia fan (I think she and Illan were just as responsible as Cliff was for the Marcel hair shaving incident, but because they didn't lay hands on him, they didn't suffer the consequences), so I may be a little bit biased.

She also seemed to blame Collicho more then anyone (and his endorsement of Diet Coke), and didn't know who Bourdain was, after asking who the judges were going to be. Now if I was on a show like this and knew who the judges were going to be, I would research the hell out of it.

For Bourdain's take (including references to THE WIRE) go here

I loved g@y Dale's (I'm sorry it's going to be g@y Dale and Asian Dale all season) about making crack for 10 year olds, and is it wrong that his sounded really good (that was the pretzels, whoopers, graham cracker and chocolate concoation)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow. I haven't been watching this new All Stars thing, but you guys are making me interested. Bourdain is a judge? Cool. Very cool.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:10 pm

minstrel wrote:Wow. I haven't been watching this new All Stars thing, but you guys are making me interested. Bourdain is a judge? Cool. Very cool.

he's rotating with Gail Simmons (ala what Ted Allen did when he was on the show)...except for I'm assuming, first and last episodes where it'll be the four primary judges.

And it's pretty good, 18 of the past finalists or almost finalists. Every season has at least 2, season 4 I think has 4 (Blais, Asian Dale, Spike and Antonia)

easy to catch up on, only been 2 episodes.

Season 1 host Katie Lea was the guest judge this week, sadly no Eric Ripert this season (Jennifer Carroll is one of his chefs)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:38 am

Bloo wrote:I'm just repeating what Bourdain and Collicho have said, I'm just the messenger. I do think Elia did the least amount of fixes to her dish, and the challenge was to make the dish that sent you home, work, not to recreate the dish exactly but add bacon. However I've never been an Elia fan (I think she and Illan were just as responsible as Cliff was for the Marcel hair shaving incident, but because they didn't lay hands on him, they didn't suffer the consequences), so I may be a little bit biased.

She also seemed to blame Collicho more then anyone (and his endorsement of Diet Coke), and didn't know who Bourdain was, after asking who the judges were going to be. Now if I was on a show like this and knew who the judges were going to be, I would research the hell out of it.

I loved g@y Dale's (I'm sorry it's going to be g@y Dale and Asian Dale all season) about making crack for 10 year olds, and is it wrong that his sounded really good (that was the pretzels, whoopers, graham cracker and chocolate concoation)

I just like listening to Elia speak with that French accent... :wink: :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 am

Peven wrote:
Bloo wrote:I'm just repeating what Bourdain and Collicho have said, I'm just the messenger. I do think Elia did the least amount of fixes to her dish, and the challenge was to make the dish that sent you home, work, not to recreate the dish exactly but add bacon. However I've never been an Elia fan (I think she and Illan were just as responsible as Cliff was for the Marcel hair shaving incident, but because they didn't lay hands on him, they didn't suffer the consequences), so I may be a little bit biased.

isn't she Mexican?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 am

Bloo wrote:
Peven wrote:

isn't she Mexican?

:shock:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Previous

Return to Coaxial