CAPRICA

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

CAPRICA

Postby John-Locke on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 am

'CAPRICA'

From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ('Battlestar Galactica'), writer Remi Aubuchon ('24') and NBC Universal Television Studio, this new series is set over a half a century before the events that play out in 'Battlestar Galactica.' The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot - a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the 'Battlestar Galactica') 'Caprica' weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

Taken from the main site Here

Thoughts? Reactions?

Discuss.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:52 am

Bit early for this, don'tcha think?

Still, if they can pull of the writing and acting that makes up the core series, then go for it. Twining in the Adama family's a bit of a mistake though.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 am

meh
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:05 am

if they can keep up the quality and what-not that they have in the series - then that's cool... but for some reason - i get the odd nagging feeling it's more of a cash-in due to the success of the series...

like 18 CSI spin-offs...

but you never know...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:14 am

i don't mind it. i just don't want to see a pock-marked baby Adama.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:15 am

Reeks of cash in. Just why does it have to be the Adama's? At least the smell of shit won't linger on the real series if it is carp.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 am

It could be great or bomb..I'm hopping it will be something to tide us over while between BSG seasons.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:31 am

aren't there three shows for Stargate?
are they successful? (i'm not slamming SG, i'm just asking...)

could be that they are trying to do the same for BSG.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Reeks of cash in. Just why does it have to be the Adama's?

Hopefully it won't turn out that all the ancestors of the Galactica crew have some important place in history. Like the Chief Tyrol comes from a long line of engineers or Starbucks grandfather turns out to be responsible for the Cylon's eyes or something.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 am

I think it could end up being a very cool idea especially if the series gets into the original cylon war later in it's run.

They just need to make sure the correct talent is involved so that it does not turn into just an excuse for some extra money.

I do like the idea that it is a completely different setting than the Battlestar we have all come to love.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:44 am

Do we know for a fact yet if this is an ongoing of just a miniseries? I love the concept, but I'm kinda weary to let this continue on when we already know where it goes. Part of the reason BSG has just great momentum is that it's built to move, designed to run.

That said, I think they can still make a great show here. The world of Galactica is incredibly rich, and mining the Cylon War for great stories seems to be a relatively easy feat. And I'll take me some political metaphors any day.

My TV schedule for next season is going to be ridiculous. It's time to either invest in Tivo or finally dump Desperate Housewives, Smallville and 24.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 am

Fried Gold wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Reeks of cash in. Just why does it have to be the Adama's?

Hopefully it won't turn out that all the ancestors of the Galactica crew have some important place in history. Like the Chief Tyrol comes from a long line of engineers or Starbucks grandfather turns out to be responsible for the Cylon's eyes or something.

Bingo.

;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:06 pm

As long as the spinoff doesn't bleed talent & attention away from BSG, I'm willing to give it a try.
But we've seen other shows pull this stunt, and the "mother ship" suffers.
And that would be a bad thing.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Al Shut on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:32 pm

I don't know if it was ever actually mentioned in the series but for some reason I was under the impression that the Adamas had a long glorious family history reaching way back. Seeing them in a prequel would be natural ( only if I haven't been only imagining this of course)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:39 pm

Is this supposed to start next year sometime? Like Fall/Winter?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby raasnio on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:09 pm

This seems unnecessary. I'll pass on it.

BSG is the only sci-fi series I buy on DVD. Hell, it's the only one I watch, but I have 0 interest in watching a 'prequel' series of it.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: BSG Spinoff 'CAPRICA' on it's way

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:40 pm

John-Locke wrote:But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:51 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Do we know for a fact yet if this is an ongoing of just a miniseries? I love the concept, but I'm kinda weary to let this continue on when we already know where it goes. Part of the reason BSG has just great momentum is that it's built to move, designed to run.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this. As a miniseries it could work, but as an ongoing series it wouldn't have the suspense aspect that BSG has. They could never pull off a finale like the one we just had in BSG. And there's a danger it could end up like Enterprise, where they screw up the continuity in the backstory. Or worse, we could have a Temporal War with the Cylons, or an entire season where they fight off some invading alien army that we never hear from again in the later series.

On the other hand, if they do a clever job of tying the events going on between the two series together, it could work really well. We could have things happen in the prequel that explain stuff that's going on in BSG, like the background of the Cylons, or how they came to their One-God religion. Caprica could work like the flashbacks in Lost, showing us stuff that makes us look at events in BSG in a different light. So I guess it could work, but there would have to be some pretty damn good writing to pull it off. If Ron Moore is running both series though, at least there's some hope of that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: BSG Spinoff 'CAPRICA' on it's way

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:51 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
John-Locke wrote:But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot

Um....eww?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:53 pm

Hehehe... that one, she is a for alla you OLD SCHOOL! fans of a the old Battlestar Galactica, eh? The little puppy robot, she was a played by a the monkey inna the suit.

MONKEY INNA SUIT!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 pm

If the focus of the series is the Cylon war, it could be okay, but if it's simply a show about Cylons mingling in society, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I mean, what's going to be the hook that draws you in episode after episode? Politics? This show isn't The West Wing.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Hehehe... that one, she is a for alla you OLD SCHOOL! fans of a the old Battlestar Galactica, eh? The little puppy robot, she was a played by a the monkey inna the suit.

MONKEY INNA SUIT![/

That should be a new Zoner designation.
The Vicar

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:24 pm

RogueScribner wrote:This show isn't The West Wing.

no, but they try (way) to hard to be.

I dunno, could work...possible civil war/unrest amongst the humans, ethical issues involved in creating sentient robotic lifeforms, more of the religious angle. Not sure how I feel about the genetic work lifelines...are we gonna have Starbucks Nana as a spunky fighter pilot? But at the same time, some of that genetic lineage stuff could work...

But what I want, and most likely won't get, will be a spin-off about the life and times of Doc Cottle...now THAT I would watch!

As others have mentioned, just don't want the creators and writers to be stretched too thin.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:38 pm

I can see a good story behind 'the rise of the Cylons' just from what they have hinted at and shown on the series - but for some reason it seems that they must have been around for generations of Capricans, not just fifty years - the continuity as outlined by this article doesn't really seem quite right. I can't imagine what Edward James Olmos looked like as a child. My first thought on reading this was that it lends itself more to something like the animatrix or star wars cartoon - in the 'BSG' universe, but able to play with the concepts and timelines the way a live action show might not manage. The main story of BSG is always going to be a search for earth and the battle against the cylons.... anyone recall the original series spin off/sequel set after they reached Earth(which from distant memory I think Dino's monkey is from)? it sucked donkey balls.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:55 pm

There's a good movie in the Rise of the Cylons. Fuck a series!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 pm

It would be tricky to make it distinct from say, 'Terminator or' the 'Matrix's' lore of 'the rise of the machines', but I'm not saying 'fuck' it...
at least not to a mini-series
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:05 pm

tapehead wrote:anyone recall the original series spin off/sequel set after they reached Earth(which from distant memory I think Dino's monkey is from)? it sucked donkey balls.

The "Daggit," iffa you will, she is a from a the original series, eh? Inna fact, the robo-monkey-dog, she was a there from a the Day One inna the original pilot (or a the movie, whatever inna the hell you wanna to call it, eh?) It was a the pet for a the Boxey kid, who gotta his a pet daggit killed inna the Cylon attack, eh?

The series a where they reach a the Earth, she was a the Galactica 1980, eh? Anna yes, she did a suck a the balls of a the ass, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:08 pm

no? ah yes. And your memory for half-baked side-kick robo-animals is clearly far superior to mine.... although I'm googling for more pictures of it to jog my brain cells.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:12 pm

tapehead wrote:your memory for half-baked side-kick robo-animals is clearly far superior to mine....

Yes... the Old a Dog, he still gotta the few a tricks, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Mind like a steel trap: plus I was about 8 and had a very short attention span when I watched as a youngster - I liked the Cylons red flashy eyes and the 'wooh-wooh' sound effects
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:22 pm

tapehead wrote:It would be tricky to make it distinct from say, 'Terminator or' the 'Matrix's' lore of 'the rise of the machines', but I'm not saying 'fuck' it...
at least not to a mini-series

That's true, but not if they play the awakening to religion card quite high in the mix. It could work. I don't think we see enough of the shiny buggers as it is, but... their absence does make them more menacing.

Anyhow... I was doodling earlier and thought that a BSG: The Animated Series would be awesome!

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Man - that sketch is frickin' sweet! - they should definitely make it a cartoon
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

LOL looks like a pube got caught in the scanner though.

I assure you all it's not.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:39 pm

The thing about a backstory show is that many of the episodes will be expected to present information that relates to the parent series. Too much of this, however, drains tension from the parent series or forces the offspring series to "find" new and interesting plot developments and characterizations. These may overwhelm the core concepts of both programs and lead to the unfortunate retrocontinuity or continuity implants.

I think this program would have to be a mini. How many seasons can you get out of the fact that the Cylons seem a little more sinister than they did last year? Eventually you wind up in the first Cylon war, which is the original Galactica, even if done as well as the current program. Intelligent war stories are tough to tell and to sell. When was there last a successful TV series set in the action of a war?

One last thought: Do we really want to see Cylons that look like those from the original Galactica, even if they are touched up a bit? The miniseries showed the officer at the armistice meeting looking at diagrams of a Cylon from the '70s show -- obviously this is what Cylons looked like in the early days of the current continuity. Man in suit or CGI, Cylon raiders look dumb.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:42 pm

When was there last a successful TV series set in the action of a war?

Well, Band of Brothers. It counts as a series here in the UK (we do shorter runs).
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:43 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Hehehe... that one, she is a for alla you OLD SCHOOL! fans of a the old Battlestar Galactica, eh? The little puppy robot, she was a played by a the monkey inna the suit.

MONKEY INNA SUIT!

For a minute I thought that was one of those tests they did for Close Encounters like the Orangutan.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
tapehead wrote:anyone recall the original series spin off/sequel set after they reached Earth(which from distant memory I think Dino's monkey is from)? it sucked donkey balls.

The "Daggit," iffa you will, she is a from a the original series, eh? Inna fact, the robo-monkey-dog, she was a there from a the Day One inna the original pilot (or a the movie, whatever inna the hell you wanna to call it, eh?) It was a the pet for a the Boxey kid, who gotta his a pet daggit killed inna the Cylon attack, eh?

The series a where they reach a the Earth, she was a the Galactica 1980, eh? Anna yes, she did a suck a the balls of a the ass, no?

Start here for a brief discussion of the horror that was Galactica 1980.

http://tinyurl.com/ogl9c
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Get Genndy Tartakovsky on the phone.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:05 pm

The more I doodle, the more a BSG animated series sounds like a frackin' good idea.

Hell, I'd wanna storyboard in it. Although right now I can barely look at a storyboard.

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Get Genndy Tartakovsky on the phone.

You know what the fuck I'm talkin' 'baht!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Start here for a brief discussion of the horror that way Galactica 1980.

http://tinyurl.com/ogl9c

I particularly remember the flying motorcycles and terrible, terrible chromakey
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:51 pm

I can't fucking stop sketching. I should so be working. Not even that good, but there you go.

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:55 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Image

Wow, that's pretty much the opposite of awful.

Nice, clean style. I like.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Blame working on 2D on-model animation storyboards for five years. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:46 pm

I like Adama, especially. He looks just as pinched-assed as Olmos! Is that Lee to his left? No glasses so I'm thinking not Baltar, but he looks pretty sneaky.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:58 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
When was there last a successful TV series set in the action of a war?

Well, Band of Brothers. It counts as a series here in the UK (we do shorter runs).

True, but I was thinking a USA-style, ongoing series (planned, as some are these days, over multiple seasons). At 20 to 22 eps per season the action starts to drag a bit. Characterization with action is the way you'd have to go, along the lines of Tour of Duty. That show, though done well, had some serious problems with the action material and had to bring in more character work for the second season. That didn't help as much as they hoped, because the show didn't last.
DennisMM

Postby Eric G on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:10 pm

I think this idea rocks. Although I think it's still WAY too early for a spin off series. We are only 2 seasons into BSG for crying out loud.... this could be a right royal kick in the ass for the franchise.... but if its done well, it could be just as popular as BSG.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Get Genndy Tartakovsky on the phone.

Not until that dipshit finishes off Samurai Jack.
The Vicar

Postby wonkabar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:51 pm

I just hope they work in some of the old-school-BSG costumes and designs. We know from the mini-series that the old-school Cylon-Centurians will be around. It would make sense that the old battlestars, vipers, base-stars, and raiders would follow suit. I'd love to see the old colonial-uniforms too, or at least a hint of them....mainly those cool jackets with the big buckles. Someone on the main-site mentioned casting Dirk Benedict in a recurring-role ala Richard Hatch. I think that would be a good idea. And yes,(Dino) maybe a couple daggits here and there in the background just for fun would be kinda cool too.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby tapehead on Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I can't fucking stop sketching. I should so be working. Not even that good, but there you go.

quality - now lets see Olmos.... with the 'tache!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Next

Return to Coaxial