CAPRICA

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby LegoKenobi on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07 pm

man, those sketches are frackin' awesome. i think you're on to something, too. genndy would be perfect for it, but i second the notion that he has to finish samurai jack first -- man, i loved that show, and the breakdown of the movie (movies?) really bummed me out.

ps - thanks to MasterWhedon for the tipoff that this thread exists, too. i'm such a noob when it comes to AICN forums, even though i've been reading the site forever...
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Oy!

Postby walterjack on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:15 pm

Is this really necessary?

BSG balances it's drama, intrigue and action... This sounds like a lot of the first two. I know that sounds immature... but it's going to need some kind of action to create tension...

And most likely if they do add it in, it would feel forced..

Just one schmucks opinion.

JC
walterjack
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:11 am

From the mother site

[quote]Also in the Salon piece, Moore sounds perhaps more pessimistic about the “Galacticaâ€
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:36 am

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:57 am

I need to catch up... never saw the rest of the third series cos I tailed off halfway through! And Razor!

Damnit, I need the boxset.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:58 am

Yeah, I only saw the first half of S3 but the DVDs should be arriving soon! Should I bother with Razor?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:59 am

I heard it's good if you're a fan. The protagonist is female, is that right? I'd watch it anyway!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:09 am

Finish watching season 3, then watch Razor. Yes it's worth it.

As for Caprrica getting greenlit:

"Battlestar Galactica" is concluding its 3½-year run with 20 final episodes this year. Its "Caprica" prequel begins production in Vancouver in the spring. Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, the exec producers of "Galactica," will join with Universal Media Studios to work on "Caprica." Rene Aubuchon will co-write the "Caprica" pilot with Moore, and Jeff Reiner will direct it. Casting begins soon.

Being a starved fan I have to pick at the details... I thought we were expecting 22 episodes. Also, does this mean the 4th season will NOT be split up? If so, good news... now to cross-post in the BSG thread.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:04 am

I'd rather they didn't split the last season.
Give it to us.
Now.
NOW.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:18 am

Finally! I really hope this goes to series! *crossing fingers*
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am

Adama's daddy is...

and

the first Cylon's mommy is...

Most disturbing out of those two little snippets: apparently, Adama's father is directly involved in creating the first cylon. Stoopid. This is as bad as Anakin Skywalker creating C3PO.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 am

So the first biological Cylon was created from a teenage girl's corpse? That's pretty dumb.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Wed May 07, 2008 12:14 pm

this is the crap that happens when you try to milk a franchise

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 pm

I can see why they wanted it to be in some related to a character we hear about on BSG, but I wouldve watched without it beign about anyoen we knew.

At this point though I am going to give Moore the benefit of the doubt and hope everything isnt as convenient as this seems now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 12, 2008 7:10 am

Latest casting has Eric Stoltz playing the inventor of the Cylons

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i5e732e045deaaba399231a2e4f4d3b79

And someone called Alessandra Toressani playing his daughter/first Cylon model.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 am

Fried Gold wrote:Latest casting has Eric Stoltz playing the inventor of the Cylons

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i5e732e045deaaba399231a2e4f4d3b79

And someone called Alessandra Toressani playing his daughter/first Cylon model.

Here she is Ladies and Gentlemen for you to perv over

It's ok, she's legal.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 12, 2008 12:29 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I can see why they wanted it to be in some related to a character we hear about on BSG, but I wouldve watched without it beign about anyoen we knew.

At this point though I am going to give Moore the benefit of the doubt and hope everything isnt as convenient as this seems now.

Indeed. Nobody freak out....yet. They've earned a little trust.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I can see why they wanted it to be in some related to a character we hear about on BSG, but I wouldve watched without it beign about anyoen we knew.

Indeed. Nobody freak out....yet. They've earned a little trust.

Ive definitely dug the casting choices so far as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: BSG Spinoff 'CAPRICA' on its way

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:11 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 am

The promo looks pretty cool (boobs!) but I hope it doesn't get too soapy.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 am

You dont like soapy boobs?? But they are like boobs.... to teh MAXX!!

Sorry, couldnt resist. Im playing it cautious with this one.
I hold BSG in high regard, and dont want this to come along and undo some of the good work that has gone before in BSG, by reducing all of the characters to a convenient tidy little big bang moment, from whence all the interconnectedness came forth, which is my biggest gripe with prequels and the need to explain all backstorys etc.
That said, I am interested, but I just hope its done well. If its not, then im gonna try to ignore it, and keep BSG as a standalone experience. So far I think it really has explained enough about the shows universe, and im now looking forward to seeing how the final eps of this season wrap it all up.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:13 am

i don't think this was mentioned in the previous article, but the caprica series order is 20 hours, so basically a full season.

so far i'm really liking the cast. esai morales and eric stoltz are excellent choices. also, polly walker is good news for anyone who was a fan of rome on HBO.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MacCready on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am

Moore has earned some trust. And the preview looked promising.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 pm

New clip/scene online

I wont spoil it, before anyone has a chance to watch it, but WTF???
tis crazy.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:40 am

April 21 cannot come soon enough

I'll probably buy the DVD but at the same time I want to watch it in HD a few hours after it airs on Scifi HD. Damn, what do I do if I get the DVD delivered in the morning but don't want to watch it until it goes on my DVR in HD. This will test if I can last 12-15 hours
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Re: BSG Spinoff 'CAPRICA' - April 21 2009 DVD/TV

Postby WalkingToaster on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 pm

For me Caprica is bad news. Again money is wasted of something I do not need. I'm waiting for SG-Universe. At least it's premise is one of a SciFi-adventure show. And that is what I like to watch. I hope for another Star Trek show too and that the Star Wars show will rock too. But Caprica seems boring to me.

Perhaps Caprica is the reason why they put sci-fi out of the channels name. For they don't want to be sued when fans blame them for a program not suitable für science-fiction. :wink:

One of the problems I have with Caprica and (yes) BSG is that it looks too US-earthly. Is it programmed into the genetic code of the human race to create always the same looking culture? What's wrong with something new, a nicer... more expensive look? Oh already given the answer to myself.

It's a shame. The show's premise could have easily been transferred into a Science Fiction adventure show. But then again... others may even love it.
living in darkness / sleeping in light
WalkingToaster
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

there's a long and storied tradition of sci-fi that is NOT adventure and/or space-travel related. caprica, as best i can tell, deals with issues of robotics and artificial intelligence, the nature of life, nature of humanity and the soul, using futuristic themes to examine current issues or the human condition, etc... all classic sci-fi themes. seems kind of narrow-minded to me to think caprica doesn't qualify as sci-fi just because it doesn't seem to have lots of aliens and 'splosions.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Caprica will have plenty of hard sf elements - AI, genetic engineering, robotics - in addition to the softer themes. Lots of great sf is based in societal and personal reaction to scientific advances or technological change - the Foundation series, for example, is social/soft sf in spite of its superscientific elements. Star Trek was primarily soft sf, even though it was set on other worlds and space ships. Though there were fights and space battles, it was not especially an adventure program.

When people talk about good sf and mention Stargate I never know what to say.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:25 am

DennisMM wrote:When people talk about good sf and mention Stargate I never know what to say.

How's about "shut up"

:twisted:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:21 am

DennisMM wrote:Caprica will have plenty of hard sf elements - AI, genetic engineering, robotics - in addition to the softer themes. Lots of great sf is based in societal and personal reaction to scientific advances or technological change - the Foundation series, for example, is social/soft sf in spite of its superscientific elements. Star Trek was primarily soft sf, even though it was set on other worlds and space ships. Though there were fights and space battles, it was not especially an adventure program.

It certainly seems to have that potential. That said, when I saw the promo during the BSG finale it screamed "futuristic soap opera" to me. That's based on a 2 minute (or whatever) promo tho. I will certainly, given its progeny, give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm fine with soft SF, so long as it makes me think.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:14 pm

As someone who avoided the new BSG when it premiered because
A. the original series sucked
and
B. the advertising for the new series wasn't very engaging
I will definitely give Caprica a try from the beginning. I feel like I missed out on a great experience over the last few years with BSG. Watching it via big chunks from Netflix it's still a great show but none of the week to week anticipation.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

I dunno, the grass is always greener in that regard. I know with Lost the week-to-week anticipation is fun, but another part of me wishes that I could just take it all in at my own pace. I actually haven't seen an episode of "Galactica," but I plan to watch it eventually.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:I dunno, the grass is always greener in that regard.

That's true.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:25 am

I wouldn't say the following has any real "spoilers" but I ramble on about some stuff that happens in the pilot episode of Caprica so stop reading if you want to go in totally virginal.

The first 10 minutes of this you probably will think you've mistakenly recorded/downloaded/turned on the channel to the wrong show, because it's like a crazy Doomsday-esque nightclub rave thing with a bunch of topless gyrating women and ritualistic killing. In the midst of all this is an annoying Zooey Deschanel look-alike chick and her emo boyfriend. Eventually you figure out it's some kind of virtual reality where the kids like to go for group sex, drugs, and murder...so I guess it's like video games of the future. Also it turns out this Zooey girl (her name funnily enough actually is Zoe) has a dad who's a leading robotics researcher or whatever. He even has a prototype that zips around their lakefront property and attends to the family's needs in that way only cheerful robots can...like Short Circuit or Sprocket. I won't give away anything else but let's just say some crazy shit happens, then there's a lot of fucking talking that constitutes most of the feature film length pilot.

It had moments of promise and some interesting bits but overall I thought it was kind of a snooze-fest, I'll be honest. Before BSG started tripping over its own tongue with all this metaphysical philosophizing it actually laid some pretty solid groundwork for all that what with character and plot development. Caprica is a little, shall we say, lackadaisical about building up to the heavy, mind-fucking kind of business. They just jump right in there with some pretty off-the-wall shit. Frankly it all seemed silly to me. Also, Grandpa Adama pops in dressed like he'd just come from a zoot suit riot and is involved in some bizarre side plot as a lawyer in a case with these mobster dudes with face-tats that are Tauronese...which apparently is the Caprican equivalent of being Mexican or something. I think they were trying to be metaphorically topical like that time in BSG with the insurgency on New Caprica echoing the Iraq War. But these face-tat guys aren't really as interesting as that, even if they do speak a crazy made-up language. Maybe it was Esperanto, I'm not sure.

I'll still probably watch the show and see where they go with it, but I'm not terribly excited anymore.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:00 am

DaleTremont wrote:I wouldn't say the following has any real "spoilers" but I ramble on about some stuff that happens in the pilot episode of Caprica so stop reading if you want to go in totally virginal.

The first 10 minutes of this you probably will think you've mistakenly recorded/downloaded/turned on the channel to the wrong show, because it's like a crazy Doomsday-esque nightclub rave thing with a bunch of topless gyrating women and ritualistic killing. In the midst of all this is an annoying Zooey Deschanel look-alike chick and her emo boyfriend. Eventually you figure out it's some kind of virtual reality where the kids like to go for group sex, drugs, and murder...so I guess it's like video games of the future. Also it turns out this Zooey girl (her name funnily enough actually is Zoe) has a dad who's a leading robotics researcher or whatever. He even has a prototype that zips around their lakefront property and attends to the family's needs in that way only cheerful robots can...like Short Circuit or Sprocket. I won't give away anything else but let's just say some crazy shit happens, then there's a lot of fucking talking that constitutes most of the feature film length pilot.

It had moments of promise and some interesting bits but overall I thought it was kind of a snooze-fest, I'll be honest. Before BSG started tripping over its own tongue with all this metaphysical philosophizing it actually laid some pretty solid groundwork for all that what with character and plot development. Caprica is a little, shall we say, lackadaisical about building up to the heavy, mind-fucking kind of business. They just jump right in there with some pretty off-the-wall shit. Frankly it all seemed silly to me. Also, Grandpa Adama pops in dressed like he'd just come from a zoot suit riot and is involved in some bizarre side plot as a lawyer in a case with these mobster dudes with face-tats that are Tauronese...which apparently is the Caprican equivalent of being Mexican or something. I think they were trying to be metaphorically topical like that time in BSG with the insurgency on New Caprica echoing the Iraq War. But these face-tat guys aren't really as interesting as that, even if they do speak a crazy made-up language. Maybe it was Esperanto, I'm not sure.

I'll still probably watch the show and see where they go with it, but I'm not terribly excited anymore.

Pretty much what I thought. I had to see it two sittings as I drifted off half-way through and got bored.

I can't really see what the point of it is, other than seeing how the Cylons were developed in the Twelve Colonies (which surely isn't going to take up that much time). Perhaps this Daniel Graystone will be the "Daniel" that the Five talked about.

...who really cares?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: BSG Spinoff 'CAPRICA'

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am

neill cumpston... *ahem*... i mean, patton oswalt... will be a member of Caprica

playing a talk show host of some kind, apparently.
i've gotta say, at least they gave his character a cool name.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 am

DaleTremont wrote:Frankly it all seemed silly to me. Also, Grandpa Adama pops in dressed like he'd just come from a zoot suit riot and is involved in some bizarre side plot as a lawyer in a case with these mobster dudes with face-tats that are Tauronese...which apparently is the Caprican equivalent of being Mexican or something.

I might be reading too much into it, but Adama's zoot suit look I took to be a nod towards the way Edward James Olmos dressed as "Gaff" in Blade Runner (since I'm assuming the fact that he was cast on a TV show about replicants was itself trying to evoke Blade Runner in some way).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 pm

It's finally airing on SyFy tonight. I thought it started at 8 Mountain. Nope, 7, so I missed the first 25 minutes. Fuck. Hulu, here I come.
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 am

Just finished watching it... well, it wasn't as bad as I feared, especially after the abomination that was The Plan, but not too great either.

Over all it played like a drawn-out episode of The Outer Limits with high production values. It was a bit too much like a soap opera for my tastes, some elements are set up here but not too much intrigue to really suck the viewer in.

The concept was weak to begin with, the fact that Cylons became sentient was not what made the original BSG concepts interesting, but rather how Cylons behaved once they were sentient.

Now apparently, all of the events of the BSG miniseries were basically the result of a teenage girl's tantrums? Right.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:52 pm

It's definitely going to be a soap opera, but I can handle that so long as they keep the social sf aspects towards the front. I'm hoping it will examine religion, racism and terrorism in relatively creative fashion. The acronym for the processor needed to make the Cylons fully functional is MCP? Sometimes in-jokes just don't fit. That disappointed me. The performances were decent, but Eric Stotlz make me think of one movie reviewer's characterization of William Hurt as a giant slice of Wonder bread. He's talented but without a great deal of character. I'm not sure I understand why people thought Esai Morales was dressed oddly. His suit seemed to fit in with everyone else's. Was it just the feather in his hatband? My father wore those through the '60s.

Speaking of the Adamas, the opening credits indicated this takes place 58 years before the miniseries. So Bill Adama was supposed to be nearly 75 at the end of the series?

Seeing William B. Davis reminded me of one of the great online exchanges of all time. An X-Files fan I was acquainted with had a brief liaison with Davis some years after the show started; it went sour quickly. One day, after a rather poor performance by Davis in an episode, someone commented online, "Fuck him!" My friend replied, "Been there, done that."
DennisMM

Postby wharto on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:51 am

Any idea when this airs in the UK?
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Jabbadonut on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm

***SPOILER ALERT***

I've watched the pilot and 2nd episode of Caprica now, and I think it is terrific. It is really going in a fantastic direction, and a relevant one, too. I thought it started slowly, and was a "snooze-fest" in the beginning for the most part, but having a teenage girl's mind in a Cylon Centurion's body is really fun. And addressing religion and terrorism like it does is important to my mind. I'm hooked.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:24 pm

I was super skeptical of this show when I first heard about it, but it has won me over. With Smokey Thingie smoking man, the older chick who got naked all the time on Rome, and Ghost in the Shell, This show has gotten off to a good start.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

FINAL FIVE COMING TO CAPRICA

Postby NoHubris on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 am

According to TV Fanatic, the Final Five are to be addressed in CAPRICA. The article is as follows:

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2010/02/the-final-five-to-be-addressed-on-caprica/
NoHubris
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: FINAL FIVE COMING TO CAPRICA

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 am

NoHubris wrote:According to TV Fanatic, the Final Five are to be addressed in CAPRICA. The article is as follows:

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2010/02/the-final-five-to-be-addressed-on-caprica/

Holy shit I need to watch this show!
Thank the gods for cable on-demand!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: CAPRICA

Postby Jabbadonut on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 am

Tonight's episode, another winner. Damn but this show is good.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

I wasn't that impressed with the DVD of the pilot unrated. Liked the nudity, but not much else. The series is a lot better, and I honestly think that more Matte Painting sci-fi cityscape is why. It was a little too real-world for a sci fi show in the pilot, but the series is going more into science fiction.

They are of course getting into serious MATRIX territory with V-world, but it's entertaining so far.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nick on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 am

I've really fallen in love with this show... it isn't BSG but having that storyline in the back of your mind causes you to think at certain points "They are just so ignorant... how could they not see what they were doing???"

The Science Fiction aspect is really appealing but the art direction just sells the show for me. They have taken the design themes behind Mad Men and applied them to a Science Fiction universe and their choice to shoot New Cap City like it is straight out of Sin City just adds to the show. Lets hope they renew it

And any show with a scene like this is a winner for me:
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 pm

And next episode has Spike in it!

Seriously, this show has been pretty awesome. The drama is cool, but the world building has been great. I love the examination of the different cultures.

Oh, and Zoe and Lacy are T3H H0T!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 am

This show is really building up young Willie Adama to be a hardcore badass. Some kid mouths you off, just beat him in the face with a rock. I'm regretting that General Adama didn't have any tattoos or have any Tauron daggers hanging around his quarters. I find the whole Zoe/making the cylons story killer boring. I'm only tuning in to see Tauron culture and now possibly Willie's sister ruling the matrix.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial