The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:35 pm

It's not so much the Statue of Liberty thing that bothers me as the overly religious vibe I'm getting off of this thing. I would say it's just because of the presence of JC, but then that guy at the end of the preview said "If there's a god, we need him now more than ever!" Um... what? Because organized religion surely isn't an example of a large group of people imposing their worldviews on everybody else, right?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm slightly pleased and optimistic. Perhaps just surprised that it looks like it might just work.

They appear to have those few touches from the original to give a connection, but have also tried to make something new from it. I do wish it didn't seem so Americanfied, but I guess that was inevitable given the main producers. However I do like the quality of the way it looks, so much that I can't believe it was made partly by ITV.

Not sure about Number Six, he seems quite hopeless and clueless in that preview. Even when things looked completely dire, McGoohan always played it like Number Six was still in control. Ian McKellen as Number Two excelling at being Number Two is a given. I wonder if he'll be in all six episodes?

And the sphere looks awesome. Didn't think those would be included. And I like the map scene.

Some promo posters -
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Not sure about Number Six, he seems quite hopeless and clueless in that preview. Even when things looked completely dire, McGoohan always played it like Number Six was still in control. Ian McKellen as Number Two excelling at being Number Two is a given. I wonder if he'll be in all six episodes?

And the sphere looks awesome. Didn't think those would be included. And I like the map scene.



I agree about McGoohan, he knew that it was all because he wouldn't tell them, he figured that out pretty quickly. Jim looks like he was born 20 years too early to be in Twilight so he settled for this. I'd like to see what he can do because I like the look of him and if he can get some real emotion in there, he could be impressive. I thought he was bland in Outlander.

Also, the story with 6 working with 2 to try and find a way out, seems like they are setting up a battle of wills as a series arch, something that's quite important.

I miss Williams-Ellis's beautifully designed sanctuary. I understand why you would move it but for me, the village didn't have that individualistic feel to it, it was more cardboard. Only time will tell I suppose.

The sphere goes without saying, I just hope they remove the 'hubba bubba' sticker off the side of it this time.

There's something about the story which isn't sitting right though. I think it's because it still could be anything else.
Last edited by papalazeru on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Not sure about Number Six, he seems quite hopeless and clueless in that preview. Even when things looked completely dire, McGoohan always played it like Number Six was still in control. Ian McKellen as Number Two excelling at being Number Two is a given. I wonder if he'll be in all six episodes?

And the sphere looks awesome. Didn't think those would be included. And I like the map scene.



I agree about McGoohan, he knew that it was all because he wouldn't tell them, he figured that out pretty quickly. Jim looks like he was born 20 years too early to be in Twilight so he settled for this. I'd like to see what he can do because I like the look of him and if he can get some real emotion in there, he could be impressive. I thought he was bland in Outlander.

Also, the story with 6 working with 2 to try and find a way out, seems like they are setting up a battle of wills as a series arch, something that's quite important.

I miss Williams-Ellis's beautifully designed sanctiary. I understand why you would move it but for me, the village didn't have that individualistic feel to it, it was more cardboard. Only time will tell I suppose.

The sphere goes without saying, I just hope they remove the 'hubba bubba' sticker off the side of it this time.

There's something about the story which isn't sitting right though. I think it's because it still could be anything else.

I got the impression from those clips that Number Six has a lack of memory about life before the village. They don't seem to be trying to find out anything from him, but are just trying to "break" him for some reason.

As you say, the original Prisoner was all about the people in charge trying to find out why Six resigned, what he knew, and whether he'd defected. This new Number Six doesn't seem to know a lot about anything.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:34 am

Fried Gold wrote:I got the impression from those clips that Number Six has a lack of memory about life before the village. They don't seem to be trying to find out anything from him, but are just trying to "break" him for some reason.

As you say, the original Prisoner was all about the people in charge trying to find out why Six resigned, what he knew, and whether he'd defected. This new Number Six doesn't seem to know a lot about anything.


i.e No longer based on truth, unless they have a little men in black mind wiping device.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:18 pm

This miniseries airs on AMC in a little less than a week. Although it might end up not being very good, I'm going to sticky it anyway because I feel like it's kind of a big deal.

Anyone planning on tuning in? Thoughts and/or objections?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:07 pm

We're not getting it here until next year (even though it was jointly made with ITV).

I'm guessing anyone who wants to see it straight away will get it somewhere online, and then ITV will complain that it didn't get many viewers here.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Ribbons wrote:This miniseries airs on AMC in a little less than a week. Although it might end up not being very good, I'm going to sticky it anyway because I feel like it's kind of a big deal.

Anyone planning on tuning in? Thoughts and/or objections?


I'll do my best to remember to watch, but I suspect with my memory (and no DVR) that I'll wind up seeing it on DVD instead. The previews have been interesting. It might have done better not to have been called The Prisoner, but then it wouldn't have been made, would it?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Coming up in 90 minutes. I actually programmed my old VCR to record, so with any luck I'll get to watch it later in the evening when chores are done.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:12 pm

DennisMM wrote:Coming up in 90 minutes. I actually programmed my old VCR to record, so with any luck I'll get to watch it later in the evening when chores are done.


Cool. Let us know your thoughts Dennis.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 pm

I didn't realize it was a two-hour event. I did manage to tape it all, but I don't have time for a viewing tonight. Couldn't they have spaced this out a bit?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 am

The Prisoner was alright - thank goodness for Ian McKellen because James Caviezel delivers a lacklustre performance, which is a shame because you really wanna care about 6's quest, afterall he is the main character. :roll:

New and improved Rover is rather cool as is the trippy music.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7573
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:15 am

Yeah, I'm with you. I can't pinpoint what it is, because I like a lot of the ideas that the show seems to be putting forward, but something about how it's made is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Also, there was this one scene where 6 and uh... 35? (the nurse) were talking about how The Village could be all there is if they knew about historical figures, and trains, and crocodiles, etc. Afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about it. Because it is a problem; it doesn't help that the conversation just kind of trailed off. I get what they were trying to do with that scene, but in all honesty they probably would have been better off just not even going there.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:15 am

I'm really quite shocked more people haven't seen this yet?

This is one of THE big geek shows, I thought we'd be all over this. I have my copy TVR'd at home waiting for me.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 am

I got serious mental scaring from watching the "Knightrider" relaunch. I'll likely give this a chance though.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 am

magicmonkey wrote:I got serious mental scaring from watching the "Knightrider" relaunch. I'll likely give this a chance though.


Which relaunch, there have been many.

OMG...you've brought back memories of 'Team Knightrider'. :twisted:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 am

papalazeru wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I got serious mental scaring from watching the "Knightrider" relaunch. I'll likely give this a chance though.


Which relaunch, there have been many.

OMG...you've brought back memories of 'Team Knightrider'. :twisted:


Is that the porno version that launched David Hasselhoff to european fame?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:02 am

magicmonkey wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I got serious mental scaring from watching the "Knightrider" relaunch. I'll likely give this a chance though.


Which relaunch, there have been many.

OMG...you've brought back memories of 'Team Knightrider'. :twisted:


Is that the porno version that launched David Hasselhoff to european fame?


No, no. You're getting that confused with 'Double-teamed: Tonight, I ride her''
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Jakester on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 pm

The first two episodes didn't suck nearly as much as Herc indicated (but it still has 4 episodes to screw up). I do agree with the complaint about the conversation about history and crocodiles. It just seems like it should have gone somewhere, but it didn't. Also, why doesn't everyone (or at the very least 6) assume that they're constantly under surveillance?
Also, how is it that no planes every fly over the Village? In an era of satellite photography, someone would've probably noticed such a large city with no roads leading in or out in the middle of the desert. Perhaps the desert is an hallucination. Perhaps it won't even be addressed. It just bugs me.
User avatar
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Jakester wrote:The first two episodes didn't suck nearly as much as Herc indicated (but it still has 4 episodes to screw up). I do agree with the complaint about the conversation about history and crocodiles. It just seems like it should have gone somewhere, but it didn't. Also, why doesn't everyone (or at the very least 6) assume that they're constantly under surveillance?
Also, how is it that no planes every fly over the Village? In an era of satellite photography, someone would've probably noticed such a large city with no roads leading in or out in the middle of the desert. Perhaps the desert is an hallucination. Perhaps it won't even be addressed. It just bugs me.


I agree, there's a lot that bugs me too.

There are 2 reasons in my opinion why the Village remains undetected;

1) the two towers create some sort of shield from the outisde world.
2) It's in a secluded part of the desert and it's like a base that all governments use to scurry away all their ex high ranking employees.

Personally, I thought this show stank to high heaven of plagurism and unoriginality. Tweedle dumb and Tweedle dumber the twin psychologists, the pig faces, the shitty camera angles, none of it gave the impression at all that we was trapped, it just gave me the impression that someone had watched a lot of shit, like Doppleganger (yes, the Drew Barryore film), a bit of Lynch and American Werewolf in London.

The dialogue was poor, the story telling wasn't that bad but it hardly left anything to the imagination.

'Why did you resign?'
'Oh, that's easy, I worked on a project that monitors people and I was told to stop'

Not just that, we have a name for the big evil nasty organisation that's obviously going to have an exposition somewhere in the 10th series.

I thought the whole thing was bland, even Ian McKellan was just doing his best Leo McKern but he had a wooden block to play against. Jim was a tree fucking trunk.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 am

Hmm....

Number 6 doesn't appear to be in control of the situation at all. Although I always liked the fact that McGoohan played Six as being one step ahead, this is the one thing I found intriguing - Is he really a bit mental? Or is he actually just playing the game? Does he know what the game is? It's still clearly about Number 6 having knowledge of some conspiracy and that's the reason he's there. The rest of the villagers - are they in the same predicament or just part of the scenario?

Visually I found it a bit dull. Everything is beige. Perhaps this is a reference to the average colour of the universe, perhaps not. I'm not sure the little references to the original needed to be there so much, as some had no purpose other than to be a little reference.

Although the Spheres are still awesome.

(I'm assuming that the bearded Number 93 at one point had the potential for Patrick McGoohan to make a cameo.)

Ian McKellen could probably make all manner of twaddle sound profound and amazing. No complaints there. The scene with the Therapy Twins was rather brills. I kept finding myself wondering what had just happened, as I think I kinda phased out a bit, and had to rewind back a few minutes to rewatch. The slightly trippy moments were down fairly well.

Number 2 eating a giant cake. Interesting in that it's already been established that all food in the Village comes in the form of a Tortilla wrap. Lennie James is apparently playing a live-action Cleveland from Family Guy. The guy playing his "brother" was a bit rubs.

The Twin Towers, eh?
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 am

Fried Gold wrote:(I'm assuming that the bearded Number 93 at one point had the potential for Patrick McGoohan to make a cameo.)


Yeah, that dude was a dead ringer for McGoohan
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 am

Let's start with the logo. As David St. Hubbins said, "There's a thin line between clever and stupid." Okay, the O is delineated by the number 6. Oh, bigger deal, the upward line in the 6 breaks the circle of the O, thus presenting an avenue for escape. Gosh, how ... obvious. Is this meant to strike anyone as imaginative?

Jim Caviezel is a stiff. That's unfortunate, because he can act. But he was told to either be stolid or shout. Neither one allows for much range of expression. What can one say about a program where the supporting players come of as mostly more interesting than the lead? McKellen was good, not great. The fellow playing 16 was familiar and has played similar parts in the past, I'm sure. 313 is properly mysterious. Something's going on with 554 and the flashes of her on CCTV tape.

If 93 wasn't meant to be John Drake, then they're the merest bit more clever than I think they are. It was nice to see the piped jacket and khakis. Caviezel's street clothes are terribly drab. Can't espionage be done with a little flair? And what was the clock tower in 93's drawing? The Big Ben tower? Chimes, anyone?

The towers may be real, may be the control center, or may be a shared delusion. Everyone there seems to have a variety of shared delusions. I do believe, based on the first two hours, that none of the other Villagers knows there is an outside world, apart from perhaps 2. 6's memories of New York may also be delusions, perhaps implanted for some reason. If so, that would take the story into slightly more interesting territory, working on more than a very basic level.

Not feeling good about this yet, but I'll watch the rest.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Number 2 eating a giant cake. Interesting in that it's already been established that all food in the Village comes in the form of a Tortilla wrap.


Enough with the wraps, it plays like a Taco Bell commercial.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7573
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 pm

DennisMM wrote:Jim Caviezel is a stiff. That's unfortunate, because he can act. But he was told to either be stolid or shout. Neither one allows for much range of expression. What can one say about a program where the supporting players come of as mostly more interesting than the lead?


I know. I hate to beat up on the guy because he can act - but it's such a chore to watch him in this and last night's 2 hours was no exception.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7573
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Jakester on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm kind of enjoying the show, in the way that I'm kind of enjoying FlashForward. I have fun when it's on, but then...pffft.
Sometimes it seems as though Six is playing the game to get answers, and other times, as with Lucy, it's as though he's succumbed to the Village and he doesn't care.
Either way, I'm glad it's over tonight.
User avatar
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 pm

JC is a really flat at times, then for a couple of minutes he springs to life. It's like he's not really in the part some of the time or the heat's gotten to him.

DennisMM wrote:313 is properly mysterious. Something's going on with 554 and the flashes of her on CCTV tape.

I can't remember who had what number.

If 313 is the Doctor woman, then I didn't find her mysterious. Just overly-sinister, which will mean she's revealed to be not be sinister and then revealed later on to actually be sinister after all.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Jakester on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 am

I liked the shot of the bike hanging in the club.

The reveal about the nature of the Village didn't surprise me a whole lot, nor did I feel let down. I didn't find myself going "OH WOW," either. I suppose if I thought about it, I'd have real questions as to how that worked and how Two's wife would "wake up" in the Village. It doesn't make much sense.
I'm a bit perplexed as to how events in the Village and NY appeard to be going on simultaneously.

Ultimately, it was okay, but I doubt it will endure as long as the original.
User avatar
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:49 pm

I literally just started to watch ep 3...and I was instantly turned off by 'Previously on the Prisoner' in such an American accent (so much so that I'm pretty sure Americans would find it bemusing), that I just went WTF!!!

It's almost as though the English wrote it, and got a local to fake an accent.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 pm

I just don't know whether to watch parts 3-6. I'm very torn.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 pm

So has this been shown in three 2-hour lumps in the US? I thought it was six episodes (based on what the ITV promo stuff).
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:29 pm

Yeah... it was a "3-day event," but it was 2 episodes each day
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 am

DennisMM wrote:I just don't know whether to watch parts 3-6. I'm very torn.


I still haven't watched the final 2 hours. It's on my DVR but I'm just not that keen on watching it. I suppose on a dreary, rainy day I'll finish it.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7573
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:03 pm

I found the first 3 episodes fairly boring and uninteresting.

The fourth episode was by far the best of the bunch. The fifth episode had quite an intriguing idea, but they seemed to spread the idea between three characters and so didn't delve deep enough (6 runs around, 2 just plays a game and 313 goes for walk for no apparently reason). I think exploring 2's "family" was a good strand to explore (although, again not enough time was spent on it).

The last episode just seems to go back to being a bit dull.

You're led to believe that the village is some sort of group hallucination in the minds of the villagers, a psychological state of people who are a bit depressed, and kinda controlled by Mr & Mrs 2. It's drawn out as an unncessarily complicated and rambling answer to something that needn't have been answered. And the numbers don't mean a great deal.

Overall...it didn't quite work. Making 6 such a cussing pussy didn't help.

Edited: Just in case anyone is bothered enough about this to worry about spoilers.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:00 am

Is that what it's all about? A group consciousness?

Okay. Whatever.

On the plus side, my megaset of the original series arrived today. Whoohoo!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Prisoner 2: Back 2 Jail!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:49 pm

I *finally* went back and watched this last week. It was disappointing, but there are still images and ideas that I've noticed are stuck in my head.

A few of the speculations in this thread turned out to be accurate: The Village was moved to America -- specifically the middle of the desert, and the overall arc of the show was about Number Six becoming Number Two. Most of the political subtext, or even cultural subtext, is gone. The company that Number Six famously resigns from is in the business of surveillance, which I guess taps into modern anxieties, but they're surveilling... broken people? To... fix them? Or something? One of the main characters also takes pills to escape reality or alter it somehow, but the story is really more existential than it is sociopolitical. What's actually supposed to be happening is a little hard to figure out. There's a little bit of lip service to the fact that one of the architects of The Village was a former scientist from MIT who believed in different layers of sub-conscience, but if they tried to explain what The Village is and some of the internal rules, they did a pretty bad job of it.

Jim Caviezel plays 6 and doesn't leave much of an impression. Ian McKellen, however, is flat-out brilliant as 2, and his character is really the throughline of the series. His puckish smile and alternating displays of confidence and weariness suggests a much richer history than the story itself, and gives a clue about what happens to "dreamers" in The Village and what kind of people come to inhabit it.

After watching this updated version of The Prisoner, I can understand the skepticism coming from ardent fans of the original. It truly was of a moment where raging against rigid social constructs was novel and subversive. This Prisoner can't capture the zeitgeist in the same way, and in truth it doesn't even seem to try. I'm not even sure I liked it, though I found it intriguing a lot of the time. But what I appreciated was the way that it ended, suggesting how easily our prisons can be self-imposed and how hard they can be to escape.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Previous

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests