Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:29 am

Maui wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:I was actually glad to see Arrested Development go. It got 3 strong seasons. The cancellation allowed it some great TV-based humor. And it completely wrapped up its story. That's more than most shows get when cancelled early.

I was really sad to see this show go. I just loved it. It was time though. The 1st and 2nd season were really superb, but I found the 3rd season was just not up to par with the previous two.

Yeah true but that Moleman/Rocketman joke they setup for 5 episodes was CLASSIC!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby LaDracul on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:17 am

I'm gonna throw in "Automan". Just because.

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 am

I liked how when he turned the car, his turns were perfect 90 degree turns, and the other guy would get plastered up against the passenger-side window becuase he still had the forward momentum.

SCIENCE!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am

The only real science in that program. Automan should have been tossed around, too, since he did have enough mass to touch non-virtual objects. My theory is that when he got into the car they actually merged. He became part of the mass of the car and so shared its angular momentum.

I agree with Burl on VR5. Cancelled just as we were to learn the secret of VR6!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does anyone remember the weird ass ending of Mork and Mindy? Some hostile alien dude started fucking with their life, and there was this whole time jumping thing. But nothing was ever resolved. Mork and Mindy was obviously passed its prime, but still it pissed me off.

Wikipedia wrote:While trying to call Orson, Mork crossed signals with another alien (Joe Regalbuto), who said his name was Kalnik, from Neptune. Kalnik, his Earth wife, Mork and Mindy got together to socialize, but Kalnik tipped his true feelings when he suggested to Mork that Earth presented opportunities for powerful aliens like themselves. Mindy overheard Kalnik and his wife say denigrating things about Mearth, Mork politely but firmly asked them to leave, and Kalnik turned on Mork. Although Mork tried to solve his problem by revealing his alien identity to Earth, Kalnik kept threatening them, trying to annihilate them. Mork used time-travel shoes to escape with Mindy (with Mearth staying with Fred). Kalnik followed Mork and Mindy through time, but the series ended inconclusively, with Mork and Mindy falling through time, declaring their togetherness, and a cave drawing of Mork and Mindy being the last we see (since the previous battle with Kalnik took place in prehistoric times).

Hehehe... I dinna know that, eh? The Dino, he hadda long since a stopped a watching the program, eh? I was a too busy with a the NYC nightlife scene atta the time...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fawst on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:50 am

RockyDennis wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I remember watching the miniseries "Stephen King's Golden Years." All throughout the summer one year, not realizing that it was a miniseries. There was a huge cliffhanger at the end and I waited all year for the next season which never came.

Oh, MAN! This is SO TRUE! It was set up as a miniseries, but it was left open to be picked up as an actual series. Instead of picking up fucking Kingdom Hospital, or whatever the fuck it was called, they should have gone back to that well. It was arguably one of the best King stories on TV, ever. It actually had heart, and the whole issue of him getting younger and younger, with his wife dying... what a GREAT concept, it would have put a major twist on the sexual tension typical in most TV shows between the male and female leads.

Back to reading the rest of this thread...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 am

Coldfire24 wrote:Charmed....never has a show made me more angry. Did anyone watch it?
When I was a kid I had Pirates of DarkWater Figures...the skeletons kicked ass!

Here's the thing about Charmed:

It was actually kinda good originally. I don't mean it was great, compelling television, but it was actually fun without being PATHETIC. It had good production values, the three leads were all gorgeous, and it wasn't JUST a monster of the week show, it had a good long plot.

Then it kept going.

And going.

And GOING.

It "kept going" to the point that the fucking creator ENDED THE SHOW, and yet they STILL gave it another season! Let me repeat that.

THEY. ENDED. THE. SHOW.

It was OVER.

It GOT CLOSURE.

And then they brought it back.

I wheep for Jaye Tyler and Wonderfalls.

My good friend has all of the seasons of Charmed that are out on DVD. She WORSHIPS that show. I might have to chew her ass out next time she bitches about a show that got cancelled before it's prime. That, or just throw the final season DVD set of Charmed at her head and say "SHADDUP!"
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:20 pm

Call me crazy, but I think "Full House" deserved a proper series finale where Danny gets married. He needed to get laid. Hell, why not make it a double wedding for him and DJ?

Cripes, I have a bad feeling that this idea is past its prime. :(
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:45 pm

LaDracul wrote:Call me crazy, but I think "Full House" deserved a proper series finale where Danny gets married. He needed to get laid. Hell, why not make it a wedding for him and DJ?

I'd have much more interest in that idea...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:00 pm

X-men Evolution ended too soon.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fawst on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Christ, even Belle & Sebastian had an ending. He made it back to the Piranese Mountains to his family where there was like a war going on or something. I think his mom was a revolutionary. Something like that.

Wiki, here I come!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:28 pm

LaDracul wrote:Call me crazy, but I think "Full House" deserved a proper series finale where Danny gets married. He needed to get laid. Hell, why not make it a double wedding for him and DJ?

Cripes, I have a bad feeling that this idea is past its prime. :(

hahahah, too funny!
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:X-men Evolution ended too soon.

Haha, you watched that? Douche.

(I totally agree, but the last episode with Xavier narrating and having visions of everyone in the future was a nice send-off. Flying Rogue, Magneto teaching at the school, Dark Phoenix... on second thought, damn them, that was a massive cocktease!)
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Fawst wrote:Christ, even Belle & Sebastian had an ending. He made it back to the Piranese Mountains to his family where there was like a war going on or something. I think his mom was a revolutionary. Something like that.

Wiki, here I come!

My bad. Sebastian lived in a village on the French side of the Pyrenees Mountains with his adoptive Grandparents. He and his dog go off in search of his mother who supposedly died trying to cross the border on Saint Sebastian's Day (guess he got the name from there?). But it turns out that she's a Roma, not a Revolutionary :) Damned Gypsies...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:34 am

I didn't mean incest, I meant Danny marrying Claire and DJ marrying Steve...since it looked like they were on the verge of getting back together in the end.

ANYWAY, this would've worked out before that one Olsen twin was making out with Sir Ben Kingsley. And Jodie Sweetin's admission she had a cocaine addiction.

ETA-Lemme add "The Jim Henson Hour". That was canceled for "Baywatch". And I just found out, Jim himself fell into a deep depression after the show was axed. Sure, without "Baywatch", we wouldn't have had "Bay of Pigs Watch" or Spamela Anderson. But really, canceling a show like that for a TNA fest. No wonder I didn't like Brandon Tartikoff at the time. (I could get into "The Guys Next Door", or "If the Kids in the Hall were a boy band", but that's another story for another time.)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Bye Bye nice knowing you...canceled tv shows.

Postby Droncz92 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Looks like Mad TV is canceled, good, never liked it much anyways.

Couldnt find a topic like this, if there is one post this there?

source is variety.com
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Bye Bye nice knowing you...canceled tv shows.

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Droncz92 wrote:Looks like Mad TV is canceled, good, never liked it much anyways.

Well...this one could be considered similar...possibly...

ETA: Apparently I was right...and too slow...
Last edited by havocSchultz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Droncz92 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:04 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Droncz92 wrote:Looks like Mad TV is canceled, good, never liked it much anyways.

Well ya Chief, thats why it was moved there...DUN DUN DUN!
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Droncz92 wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Yeah...it was moved whilst I was typing...
That extra 37 seconds of searching for the thread really held me back...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:10 pm

MadTV has not ben good or even passable for a long time.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Droncz92 wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

yeah, I was gonna let this go with another warning (your second in 2 days) but then you had to go and talk shit to Havoc.

Of course, you'll never read this...

*thanks to Veg for the pic!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Ha!

I'm bringing fuck you back...again...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:06 pm

First, that gif is AWESOME!!!!!!

Second, I hate it when people type "ya" as a substitute for "yeah".
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Ya...I concur...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:41 pm

I liked MadTV . . . 10 years ago. It really hasn't been the same since Nicole Sullivan left. I still would watch it sometimes when I'm bored on a Saturday night. It usually sucked just as bad as SNL but it was thankfully shorter.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

MadTV is SHIT

Postby eliguy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 pm

When the show came on, I was excited about the prospect of a show based around Alfred E. Neuman, but there was no connection to superior magazine at all. MadTV ran on the exact same premise for ten years and had exactly 2 skits that were funny. Every skit was about some character doing to the same thing ad nauseum and other people trying to deal with the behavior. Bible Terminator and Davy and Goliath Claymation were the only funny things to ever appear on the show EVER. At first MadTV tried to be SNL, then SNL tried to be MadTV (a la Target lady) but SNL has seen the error of its ways I think. I will piss on the grave of MadTV.

Fuck
Mad
TV
SkYnET MesAge Frum the F00ture
eliguy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 pm

MadTV when it started was full of animated versions of the Magazine staples like Spy vs Spy etc.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby eliguy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:22 pm

Okay, Bible Terminator, Davy and Goliath Claymation AND Spy Vs. Spy, which seemed to be ripping off looney tunes anyway, but I stand corrected.
SkYnET MesAge Frum the F00ture
eliguy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:15 pm

i'm a little sad about the cancellation of American Gladiators

i'll miss the cheesy video clips of the gladiators they show before each event
i'll miss hulk hogan
i'll miss crush (between this and her MMA league going kaput, what will she do now? pose for playboy, hopefully...)
i'll miss the chick who won the first season and became a gladiator in season 2, 'cos she was hot
i'll miss wolf's increasingly elaborate trash-talk
i WON'T miss all the lame overenthusiastic contestants, or the ones with sob stories or gimmicks (old, deaf, missing a leg, etc... how is a one-legged guy supposed to compete against a 350-lb bodybuilder?)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:01 am

I've just started watching 30ROCK on my Xbox360 Netflix thingy in HD. I've already fallen in love with all these characters. It's going to be a sad day if this ever gets cancelled.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:41 am

Fox Cuts 'Minority Report' Order to 10 Episodes
Considered the first D.O.A. series of the fall 2015 freshman class, it's barely pulling two million same-day viewers.
Michael O'Connell wrote:They probably saw it coming. Fox's Minority Report has been given the first dose of bad news for the 2015-16 broadcast season, with the network trimming its initial 13-episode order to just 10.

The move comes as little surprise given the drama's inauspicious debut and equally lackluster time-shifting. It boasted the lowest bow of the freshman class when it premiered to a measly 1.1 rating among adults 18-49 and only 3.1 million viewers on Sept. 21. Initial DVR stats saw big percentage growth, but little raw improvement. And, by the third episode, Minority Report barely scraped together a 0.7 rating in the key demo and 2 million viewers.

Based on the 2002 Tom Cruise movie of the same name, itself an adaptation Philip K. Dick short story, Minority Report boasted the original's helmer Steven Spielberg as an executive producer. The show hailed from Amblin Television, Paramount Television and 20th Century Fox Television, and was Fox's first freshman series to join the lineup this season. (Rough day for Amblin, by the way. The production company also saw CBS cancel its Halle Berry summer drama Extant — though it did get a pickup for drama American Gothic.)

Minority Report, which did not have many critics on its side, was one of many new series this fall to see aggressive retooling between the pilot pickup and series premiere. The show stars Stark Sands, Meagan Good, Wilmer Valderrama and Nick Zano — the latter being a post-pilot addition to play the twin of Sands' character. The final scene of the pilot was also added late and not included in the pilot that was delivered late to critics.

Minority Report was one of the hottest scripts heading into pilot season and was Fox's first official drama pilot order of the season — though the last to be picked up to series. The drama hailed from writer Max Borenstein — a filmmaker (Godzilla) who made his TV debut with the series. The West Wing grad Kevin Falls was showrunner.
The series' failure marks a minor setback for TV's current love affair with existing titles. Minority Report was just one in a handful of reboots, remakes and adaptations that joined the schedule this season — see CBS' Limitless and Supergirl, NBC's Heroes Reborn, ABC's Uncle Buck, NBC's since-canceled Coach and the bulk of the CW's schedule — but don't expect the trend to slow.

"I think having familiar IP is an advantage, and yet you’re held to the same standards as with everything else you do," Fox Television Group chairman and CEO Gary Newman recently told The Hollywood Reporter. "Even if none of those shows ends up working, you won’t see us shy away from rebooting what we think is great IP."

As of Friday, Fox plans to continue airing Minority Report in its current 9 p.m. time slot on Mondays after Gotham.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 pm

‘Uncle Buck’ Cancelled by ABC
Comedy series “Uncle Buck” will not be renewed for a second season at ABC, Variety has confirmed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:25 pm

I think it's terribly sad that Penny Dreadful got axed after 3 seasons, and ended not just so abruptly but in a way that did disservice to the main character.

Is anyone with me on this?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 am

NO, DAMMIT!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 am

Variety 03.30.17:
All the shows canceled this year

io9 Yesterday 7:45pm:
All of a Sudden, Time Travel on TV Isn't So Hot Anymore
Germain Lussier wrote:Last year it felt like every TV show was about time travel, with network series Making History, Time After Time, Timeless, and Frequency, plus a few others peppered around the dial and streaming. But three of those new time-travel shows have since bitten the dust, with a fourth likely soon to follow.

To recap, ABC’s Time After Time was canceled in March. Frequency was canceled earlier this week, and today NBC canceled Timeless. The only new time travel show still on the air as of May 10 is Fox’s Making History. However, most media experts don’t expect Fox to renew the show after its finale later this month.

Today’s loss of Timeless is a blow for fans, who had fought hard to try and get it renewed. Alas, that won’t be happening. After debuting with almost eight million viewers last year, it shrunk to 4.6 million by the end of its season. And with all these casualties, we’re guessing the time-travel trend will be taking some time off for awhile.

[Variety]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Cancellations anna Broken Hearts 2017

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 am

‘Powerless’ Canceled By NBC After One Season

‘Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Renewed For Season 5 By ABC

Every Network TV Show Cancelation & Renewal of 2017 (So Far)
The big broadcast networks made several announcements in the past few days regarding renewed and canceled TV series. See them all here.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:30 am

'Sense8' Canceled at Netflix
The cancellation comes a week after the streaming giant axed 'The Get Down.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 am

Variety JUNE 10, 2017:
Netflix’s Ted Sarandos Talks ‘Sense8,’ ‘The Get Down’ Cancellations
Daniel Holloway wrote:With the cancellations this month of “Sense8” and “The Get Down,” Netflix has drawn attention for finally pulling the plug on high-profile series after years of renewals.

Speaking at the PGA’s Produced By conference Saturday on the Fox lot, Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos unpacked those decisions.

“Relative to what you spent, are people watching it? That is pretty traditional,” Sarandos said in a conversation with Jerry Seinfeld, whose “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” is moving to Netflix for its next season. “When I say that, a big expensive show for a huge audience is great. A big, expensive show for a tiny audience is hard even in our model to make that work very long.”

As Variety originally reported, “The Get Down” cost $12 million per episode to produce. Reports elsewhere have pegged the per-episode cost of “Sense8” at $9 million. Both were among the most expensive television series being made anywhere.

Sarandos praised “Sense8” and “The Get Down,” saying producers “made an incredible contribution to our culture with those shows.” He also addressed comments made last month by his boss, CEO Reed Hastings, who noted at the Code Conference that Netflix had canceled “very few shows” and said that the company’s “hit ratio is way too high right now,” signaling more cancellations in the future.

“Not to put words in his mouth, but what he meant was that Silicon Valley celebrates failure,” Sarandos said of Hastings. “It’s one of those things that you know you’re pushing the envelope if every once in a while you fall. And you go back and start over again. If you have hit after hit after hit, you question yourself — are you trying hard enough? Are you too conventional?”

Sarandos also spoke about the controversy over the company’s trip to Cannes earlier this year with original films “Okja” and “The Meyerowitz Stories,” which prompted a rules change at the festival to prevent future films from competing without receiving a full theatrical release.

“A film festival is meant to celebrate the art of filmmaking,” he said. “A lot of the things that you see at a film festival have no commercial viability at all. That really is the role of a film festival.” Addressing the rules change, Sarandos said, “It’s not even an independent selection process if they stand by that rule.” Of the festival, he added, “If it ceases to be about the celebration of film and filmmaking, I don’t think it can continue to be that relevant.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Deadline October 30, 2017:
Netflix Cancels ‘House Of Cards’, Says It’s “Deeply Troubled” Over Kevin Spacey Claims
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial