Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon May 22, 2006 11:39 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I'll see your Andy Richter Controls the Universe with the saturday morning cartoons X-men and Spiderman...both great....X-men just started showing rerun after rerun until one day they showed one episode try to tie up everything a bit like the third movie..I have no idea how spiderman ended....I loved those shows.

I'll buy it.

Cartoons seem to routinely get the shaft from networks and are cancelled even when (like X-Men and Spider-man) they're still doing well in the ratings.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 am

sleepflower wrote:It reminds me, no one has mentioned dungeons and dragons! How did it all end?????????

I'll second your "Dungeons & Dragons," sleepflower! Talk about one of the best Saturday morning shows ev-ah!

And Sheila, the red haired thief, belongs on ANY list of cartoon hotties...but anyway...

Series writer Michael Reaves did write a finale for "D&D," but it was never produced. You can read the script on his personal website:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/pdf/requiem_sec.pdf

But before you read it, you might want Reaves' thoughts about the lost episode. Link here:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/requiem_preface.htm
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Tue May 23, 2006 3:39 am

Not really a cancellation per-se....but I miss me some Late-Late Show w/ Craig Kilborne
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby bastard_robo on Tue May 23, 2006 6:05 am

Surface im pertty fucking pissed about.

Angel was a harsh pill to swallow (and sadly, i recored the final, but lost the tape and no one else had a copy, it was only 5 months ago that i finally saw the final ep.)

Brimstone was awesome! Fucking FOX

Tick i miss dearly (both the live action show and cartoon)

The Critic had severl years left!

TITUS! Theres a show i fucking miss more than anything else in the world. There was nothing more brilliant on TV than Titus!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Selecter on Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 am

DennisMM wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I remember watching the miniseries "Stephen King's Golden Years." All throughout the summer one year, not realizing that it was a miniseries. There was a huge cliffhanger at the end and I waited all year for the next season which never came.

They shot an ending for video. It didn't make any fucking sense. Basically, the main character rejuvenates into his prime, stops some bizarre crisis, then disappears into a glowing light. Huh?

Damn. I was wondering about that, too. Thanks for that.

Anybody mention Profit?
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 23, 2006 11:04 am

Strange to see Invasion taken out.
I thought they might give this one at least another year.
Seems like they were trying to sell it with both hands.
Didn't help.
Gone.

Is Supernatural coming back?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Theta on Tue May 23, 2006 7:58 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Harsh Realm...fuck you Fox. Fuck you.

So, you're the one who watched it.

I fixed your post. :D If the Neilsen ratings were an actual reflection of reality, then Harsh Realm simply never existed. It just spontaneously appeared on DVD one day out of nowhere.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Re: Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

Postby Theta on Tue May 23, 2006 8:00 pm

bastard_robo wrote:TITUS! Theres a show i fucking miss more than anything else in the world. There was nothing more brilliant on TV than Titus!

"Titus" was indeed genius but it's amazing it lasted a season, let alone three. I'm just glad all three seasons are on disc, and reasonably priced, too!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Howard Moon on Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 pm

Robbery Homicide Division. I don't get how they can have room for three CSI shows but couldn't keep this show. Plus it had a great music intro by Deltron 3030
Howard Moon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sleepflower on Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 pm

buster00 wrote:
sleepflower wrote:It reminds me, no one has mentioned dungeons and dragons! How did it all end?????????

I'll second your "Dungeons & Dragons," sleepflower! Talk about one of the best Saturday morning shows ev-ah!

And Sheila, the red haired thief, belongs on ANY list of cartoon hotties...but anyway...

Series writer Michael Reaves did write a finale for "D&D," but it was never produced. You can read the script on his personal website:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/pdf/requiem_sec.pdf

But before you read it, you might want Reaves' thoughts about the lost episode. Link here:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/requiem_preface.htm

I feel a part of my life is that little more complete now. Thankyou, I owe you big time.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 23, 2006 10:33 pm

wonkabar wrote:Not really a cancellation per-se....but I miss me some Late-Late Show w/ Craig Kilborne

me too! i know j. stew gets a lot of love, but to me the daily show jumped the fucking shark when kilborn left. ok, now TDS can actually get big name guests, but so what. fuck those douchebags. the only reason they wouldnt do kilborn, is because he would just make them look stupid. now, for the most part, all of stewarts interviews are just gloirified ass kissing. give me kilby, and brian unger back!

ditto on the "Titus" love.

and what about "Get a Life". man, the first season was funny. but then we got brian doyle-murray, and the show got ten times funnier! man that show cracks me up.

oh, and i know that dennis miller has become a loathsome, and miserable old crank, ala charles grodin. but when he had his talk show back in the day, he used to book some cool musical guests that others wouldnt even touch. i miss that. or that old tom snyder show, where they would actually talk to the bands, instead of simply shaking their hands. and then, they would get like more than one performance. i think that show in the uk with jools holland does the same thing. why do we americans not get a quality talk show, with and about quality musical guests? fuck graham norton, the usa needs jools holland NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: i just realized that wonka was talking about kilborn's network show, whereas i was talking about the original daily show. my bad.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Tue May 23, 2006 11:04 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Why did Seaquest go crazy in its last season?

Seaquest should never have started.

And as for futurama.Genius. I think it will fit a movie format quite well though, so could have been a blessing if truly great.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 24, 2006 4:24 am

Another show i love more than life itself that got shit canned way too early,

INVADER ZIM!

It had a certin joy that the other shit on Nickalodan dosnt have.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 24, 2006 4:26 am

bastard_robo wrote:Another show i love more than life itself that got shit canned way too early,

INVADER ZIM!

It had a certin joy that the other shit on Nickalodan dosnt have.

I loved this program when it was out, and it's a crying shame that Nick axed it (and greenlighted terrible shows like As Told by Ginger instead). The best episode was when he brought his robo-parents into class with him.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 24, 2006 6:03 am

I had suppressed this, so fuck you Dino for making me remember...

Riget.

Damn you for dying Ernst-Hugo Järegård!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 24, 2006 6:36 am

Wow I had forgotten completely about Titus, they used to show it here on channel 4 every week night at 6pm. It was one fucked up show in the best possible way. Sort of like Married WIth Children, that dark dark comedy without a happy ending and lesson learnt.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 24, 2006 6:42 am

Why oh why did they ever cancel Heartbreak High? That show was my lifeforce for many years; it was the perfect teen drama/soap. Yeah, some people will take your Dawson's Creeks and your Veronica Mars', but none of them have the edge over the Australians' entry. That class really did torture their teachers, they were like The Antipodean Bash Street Kids. I almost ended up moving to Australia because it made their lifestyle look like so much fun. I have a strange and irrational fear of Killer Sharks though, so I ended up staying put.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 24, 2006 6:53 am

Another show!

Unhapply ever after (the show with the talking bunny voiced by Bobcat Goldwith)

After the mom left and they focuced on the kids and dad, the show was poised to be the next "MARRIED WITH CHILDREN" but alas, the WB axed it for more teen drama shit.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Kilgore on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:18 pm

It was mentioned at a much earlier date in this thread, but I got a chance to catch some Andy Richter Controls The Universe today, and it's a crime that show didn't get more play.

Which also reminded me of Get A Lifewith Chris Elliot, SledgeHammmer, and, of course, Police Squad, but they kind of got the last laugh....

And I was heartbroken as a child when the Robert Stack/Dorian Harewood masterpiece Strike Force was asked to leave the party. Now that I'm older, I'm of the opinion it was probably a shitty show, but man did I love it....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I had suppressed this, so fuck you Dino for making me remember...

Riget.

Damn you for dying Ernst-Hugo Järegård!

Agreed on the Riget front!

I "allmost" forgot that show even existed. I am so ashamed of myself.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Goddamn remakes...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby This is a biscuit on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:35 pm

My bad, then, I didnt look back far enough.

Apologies all around.
Mean, ignorant, narrow-minded douchebag, at your service. Pissing people off since '72.
This is a biscuit
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:37 pm

I was actually glad to see Arrested Development go. It got 3 strong seasons. The cancellation allowed it some great TV-based humor. And it completely wrapped up its story. That's more than most shows get when cancelled early.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:41 pm

I remember THE TICK live action show pretty fondly, and I thought it had a ton of potential.

I guess I could say the same for GREG THE BUNNY.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:54 pm

it was never canceled per se, as the creator really only had one season (and this being the BBC, that means only 6episodes) planned out, but damn if ULTRAVIOLET didn't deserve to have it's world fleshed out and expanded upon.

The "leeches" had a nifty plan, they were in positions of power, they could resurrect, Jack was back, Father Harman's cancer, Frances joining the team...

sigh.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:59 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:but damn if ULTRAVIOLET didn't deserve to have it's world fleshed out and expanded upon.

Yes... we talk a little about a the show inna this a thread here, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:but damn if ULTRAVIOLET didn't deserve to have it's world fleshed out and expanded upon.

Yes... we talk a little about a the show inna this a thread here, eh?

i don't remember asking you a god damn thing!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:54 pm

"Do Over".

Mainly because I love it when people make fun of the '80s and when the main character (An adult trapped in his teenage self's body in the early '80s) keeps forgetting it's the '80s and makes pop culture references from the future.

Hell, I enjoy that sorta thing.

But really, getting rid of it for "The Surreal Life"? -sigh-

It does prove most of America has bad taste.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Brilliant But Cancelled TV

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:07 pm

I tried searchiong for a topic on this but couldn't find anything. Feel free to lock this if it is a dupe.

Basically I wanted to try and have a discussion on TV shows that were cancelled before their time. Let's limit this to shows that had a max of 2 seasons.

I will start off with The Jake Effect, which basically spurred my thoughts on this topic in the first place. Wonderful show starring Greg Grunberg, Jason Bateman and Nikki Cox. It's about a lawyer who decides he done with moral gray and becomes a school teacher.

Next up I have B5: Crusade. I am a huge Babylon 5 fan so this being quickly cancelled hit me hard. It had a lot of potential.

What about Brisco County Jr.? Most of us are already in the cult of Bruce so I won't need to sing it's praises. It saddens me that a fledgling Fox couldnt fun both the X-Files and this.

We also have Firefly, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Action, Sports Night, Greg the Bunny, and the Tick.

What are your favorite cacelled before their prime shows?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nordling on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a thread like this, but if not:

FREAKS AND GEEKS.

We're done.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Wonderfalls, Earth 2, American Gothic, Millennium, Studio 60, Eerie Indiana, Carnivale, and that alien invasion show starring William Fichtner.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Nordling wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a thread like this, but if not:

FREAKS AND GEEKS.

We're done.

Damnit i forgot about that one!

What about Undeclared?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:14 pm

Fawst wrote:Wonderfalls, Earth 2, American Gothic, Millennium, Studio 60, Eerie Indiana, Carnivale, and that alien invasion show starring William Fichtner.

I watched Earth 2 when it aired but forgot about it until you just mentioned it.

Ive been trying to see American Gothic, and Millenium.

Yeah that Carnivale cancellation killed me!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Joanie Loves Chachi.

We're done.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Al Shut on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:15 pm

there was a cancelled too soon thread that vwas closed because it was a dupe of this thread
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:16 pm

Al_Shut wrote:there was a cancelled too soon thread that vwas closed because it was a dupe of this thread

thanks.

merged...
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 pm

I just watched Jake Effect's 6 episodes. How could it not be awesome with Jason Bateman and Greg Grunberg together as best friends! Sucks it never made it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Didn't they cancel The Sopranos about ten seconds early? Jeez.

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:25 pm

minstrel wrote:Didn't they cancel The Sopranos about ten seconds early? Jeez.

:)

You know nothing was going to happen :lol:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Does anyone remember the weird ass ending of Mork and Mindy? Some hostile alien dude started fucking with their life, and there was this whole time jumping thing. But nothing was ever resolved. Mork and Mindy was obviously passed its prime, but still it pissed me off.

Other shows I liked that got axed: The Quest, VR5, Invasion, The Loop, Serenity.

While I hated that Angel ended, I have to disagree with the disdain about its cancellation. Whedon made the best of it and gave us a perfect ending to a great show. I am excited about the comic, but even without it, I thought the show went out at its creative peak. The cliffhanger aspect was frustrating, but still entirely perfect in a Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid or Thelma and Louise kind of way.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does anyone remember the weird ass ending of Mork and Mindy? Some hostile alien dude started fucking with their life, and there was this whole time jumping thing. But nothing was ever resolved. Mork and Mindy was obviously passed its prime, but still it pissed me off.

Other shows I liked that got axed: The Quest, VR5, Invasion, The Loop, Serenity.

While I hated that Angel ended, I have to disagree with the disdain about its cancellation. Whedon made the best of it and gave us a perfect ending to a great show. I am excited about the comic, but even without it, I thought the show went out at its creative peak. The cliffhanger aspect was frustrating, but still entirely perfect in a Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid or Thelma and Louise kind of way.

The loop totally lost it's edge second season!

What about Bablyon 5: Crusade?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:24 am

I still miss "Now and Again."

:(
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 am

The Ginger Man wrote:I was actually glad to see Arrested Development go. It got 3 strong seasons. The cancellation allowed it some great TV-based humor. And it completely wrapped up its story. That's more than most shows get when cancelled early.

I was really sad to see this show go. I just loved it. It was time though. The 1st and 2nd season were really superb, but I found the 3rd season was just not up to par with the previous two.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Todd on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:53 am

MANIMAL!!!!!

8 Episodes was NOT enough.....

The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:57 am

The Todd wrote:MANIMAL!!!!!

There's no accounting for good taste, is there?
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Todd on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:02 am

Maui wrote:
The Todd wrote: MANIMAL!!!!!

True. You need to acquire some, then try watching Manimal.
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:02 am

Maui wrote:
The Todd wrote:MANIMAL!!!!!

Tell that to the chick wearing the Bird Hat...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:18 am

The Todd wrote:
Maui wrote:
The Todd wrote: MANIMAL!!!!!

True. You need to acquire some, then try watching Manimal.

God'll get you for that!!! :evil:
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:42 am

Man, Manimal rocked. I remember that episode where he was in wolf(?) form and was being exposed to nerve gas. That was some seriously high tension drama for a 6 year old...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial