Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Cancellations anna Broken Hearts, eh?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Okay, so I got a this idea after reading alla the whining inna the Aquaman Trailer thread, eh?

What's a your most heartbreaking cancelleation, eh? Anna I'm a not a talking about a the X-Files or a the Friends or any of a those other shows a where you lucky enough to get a the wrapped up storylines anna the network's "countdown to a the finale" kind of a thing, eh?

I'm a talking about a the shows like a the "American Dreams," no? Like a where Meg's father, he says "iffa you gonna to go to California with a that putz, donna come back, eh?" anna she gets onna the back of a the bike anna heads off... or a the "My So Called Life" a where Claire Daines, she finds out that a the curly blond-headed geeky putz is a the one writing alla the love letters anna that a the cute guy is a the bonehead, eh?

I'm a talking about a the ones that go out onna the huge cliffhangers, only to never be resolved again, eh? The ones that a torture us a forever, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Mon May 22, 2006 2:41 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOWHERE MAN.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby jgraphix on Mon May 22, 2006 2:43 pm

I kinda liked invasion and they left the series with a huge cliffhanger.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 22, 2006 2:45 pm

The original Kolchak though there was no cliffhanger per se.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon May 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Although the show itself was not so great, I was very upset that "John Doe" did not come back for a second season. Doe has broken into the underground compound of the group that has been dogging him and probably stripped him of his memory. Amidst the chaos, he chases the man in the knit cap whom he knows is a massive part of the conspiracy. As the man in the knit cap climbs a ladder to the surface, Doe grabs at his head. The cap comes off in Doe's hand, the man looks back -- and Doe sees he is Digger, the former black ops agent and bar owner who has aided Doe in his exploration of the conspiracy!

Gotdangit, that cliffhanger pissed me off! Even reading spoilers via the underground didn't make up for my not seeing the solution on television.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby so sorry on Mon May 22, 2006 2:47 pm

"Emily's Reasons Why Not" with Heather graham...

we only ever got to hear 3 reasons...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon May 22, 2006 2:47 pm

The aforementioned Now and Again.

Sci-Fi's The Invisible Man.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 2:49 pm

I also like a the remake of a the Fugitive show, onna the CBS a couple of a the years ago, eh? With a the guy from a the "Wings" show... that went out onna the good Cliffhanger.

Anna that "Now anna Again" show, with the guy who plays a the President Palmer.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Christ how could I forget....

Twin Peaks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Ooh donna get a the This Is a The Girl started, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 22, 2006 3:17 pm

Angel--fucking WB!!

Roswell

And I hate to admit it, but I'm pissed about not getting to see anything play out on Heist.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 22, 2006 3:29 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Angel--fucking WB!!

Roswell

And I hate to admit it, but I'm pissed about not getting to see anything play out on Heist.

Yes, I don't think I will ever get over the cancellation of Angel :cry:
Big ups to Whedon for wrapping it up very nicely!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Logan5 on Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Twin Peaks
Spaced
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original)
Firefly (crappy movie didn't do anything for me)
Berserk
Millennium
Carnevale (haven't seen the second season yet, because it got canned)
Surface (GODDAMMIT!)

Farscape, but the mini-series was a great ending. Damn, I love that series.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 22, 2006 3:45 pm

I will never Forgive NBC for cancelling Quantum Leap. Now I'll never know if Sam made the leap back home. I also quite enjoyed a Fox show called Brimstone where this dude had to burn off a bunch of tattoos that represented demons for redemption or something. It featured John Glover as the devil. I"m also surprised nobody has mentioned Arrested Development yet.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 22, 2006 3:45 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RockyDennis on Mon May 22, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't know if this counts, but I remember watching the miniseries "Stephen King's Golden Years." All throughout the summer one year, not realizing that it was a miniseries. There was a huge cliffhanger at the end and I waited all year for the next season which never came.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Maybe I should a not have a gone a down a this a path, eh? Some of a you putzes have a like, some a real issues I think...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby jgraphix on Mon May 22, 2006 3:55 pm

The Inside..was getting good but due to ratings was canned halfway through the 1st season.

Oh yeah, Freaks and Geeks could have lasted a good 5 seasons or so.

Damn ratings.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon May 22, 2006 4:09 pm

Arrested Development

they made a huge mistake
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 22, 2006 4:15 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Arrested Development

they made a huge mistake

and they will pay for it... with interest.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Carolian on Mon May 22, 2006 4:19 pm

I'll second THE INSIDE. I didn't think I'd like it, but I was, happily, surprised. Then--WHOOPS! Some stupid dancing show comes along, and sayanora.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Flumm on Mon May 22, 2006 4:21 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:... or a the "My So Called Life" a where Claire Daines, she finds out that a the curly blond-headed geeky putz is a the one writing alla the love letters anna that a the cute guy is a the bonehead, eh?

Why do I get the feeling you did that just to see my cry old man? Well I won't!

I wont do it!

:cry:

Your right. Issues.

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I will never Forgive NBC for cancelling Quantum Leap. Now I'll never know if Sam made the leap back home.

It was never a show I watched from start to finish. But it was on at tea time during my childhood, and like Star Trek or Buffy, I reckon I must have just watched most of the series without even putting much thought into it.

They are repeating it now on a digital channel, and I'm keeping tabs on it so I can watch that final episode again...

Oh and don't get me started on an episode I caught the other week, where he stumbles across a fellow Quantum Leaper, who happens to be a beautiful woman, and is apparently his "opposite" and working for evil...

:o

BuckyO'harre wrote:...

Dino forgive me for what I am about to type.

These aren't on the level you're looking for,but they meant alot to me as a little putz.

Pirates of Darkwater.
They only collected 8 of the 13 treasures of Rule. No resolution, man! A great fantasy/pirate show ended right in the middle.

Then there's my show.That wound still hasn't healed.
TV exec devils. Curse them!

Amen
er.. I mean Kong Lives.

:shock:

Sometimes it scares me how much we have in common.

And of course there's American Gothic...

That was one hell of a show to tune in on late at night as a young teenager.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 22, 2006 4:24 pm

FIREFLY

No single cancellation has ever destroyed me so. That show had such promise, such potential. The world was rich and textured, the characters true. You could feel threads being formed that were seasons long. You had just enough time to fall in love with the show before it was taken away.

Serenity was closure enough for me, but I'd kill to have a five-, seven-year series in its place.

Obviously I was pissed to see Angel go out when it was on such a creatve upswing. It had at least two more AMAZING years in it.

I also agree with Dino on My So Called Life. Loved that series back when.

I thought Ed had another quality year in it before it ended, though I do like how it wrapped up.

EDIT: Oh, and Michael Mann's brilliant Robbery Homicide Division from two, three years back was EPIC. It was of the quality of a weekly Heat TV show.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Mon May 22, 2006 4:29 pm

RockyDennis wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I remember watching the miniseries "Stephen King's Golden Years." All throughout the summer one year, not realizing that it was a miniseries. There was a huge cliffhanger at the end and I waited all year for the next season which never came.

They shot an ending for video. It didn't make any fucking sense. Basically, the main character rejuvenates into his prime, stops some bizarre crisis, then disappears into a glowing light. Huh?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Logan5 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Flumm wrote:
And of course there's American Gothic...

That was one hell of a show to tune in on late at night as a young teenager.

Forgot that one. Awesome show.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby DennisMM on Mon May 22, 2006 5:03 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I viewed the last few episodes of Angel as preparation for their Gotterdammerung. They battle the gods, take them, and die in the process. Illyria might come out, because she is a god, but everyone else goes down on the field of battle, dying to save reality as we know it. They win, but at the cost of their lives.
Last edited by DennisMM on Mon May 22, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon May 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Boomtown was an enjoyable show before it was neutered.

Its eventual cancellation was an act of mercy, IMO.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Farscape....but that doesn't count, Angel's ending was a big wtf. Star Trek Enterprise turning out to be a hologram stupid. Earth 2, Just to name a few....ok i'm going to be made fun of here but I really liked Keen Eddy on Fox.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 22, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm saving this spot for the day that 24 gets cancelled and I go into depression.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Theta on Mon May 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Every time I see "Charmed" at my local store, I think about how that shitty show stayed on the air for EIGHT FUCKING SEASONS, and Angel, which, you know, actually did well in its timeslot, got the axe.

There are more episodes of "Charmed" than "Buffy." Truly, there is something wrong with the world.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Charmed....never has a show made me more angry. Did anyone watch it?
When I was a kid I had Pirates of DarkWater Figures...the skeletons kicked ass!
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Mon May 22, 2006 7:33 pm

DennisMM wrote:

As I've said elsewhere, I viewed the last few episodes of Angel as preparation for their Gotterdammerung. They battle the gods, take them, and die in the process. Illyria might come out, because she is a god, but everyone else goes down on the field of battle, dying to save reality as we know it. They win, but at the cost of their lives.

Actually, since the Angel comics are apparently canonical (yeah, that surprised me too...apparently anything Joss supervises is canonical), we know that Spike, Angel, and Illyria make it out alive (also that the real world seems to suffer no ill effects from, you know, legions of demons and dragons and stuff all hitting LA at once.)

Whedon is working on a comic "Season 8", which apparently helps wrap up "Angel" and should be interesting.

What pisses me off about "Angel" is WHY it was cancelled. It wasn't a low-rated show, by WB standards, second only to "Smallville" overall. It had huge ratings gains, season to season, and the WB got the budget cuts it demanded. But that just wasn't enough to satisfy their desire to show Joss Whedon they had a bigger penis.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:...

Dino forgive me for what I am about to type.

These aren't on the level you're looking for,but they meant alot to me as a little putz.

Pirates of Darkwater.
They only collected 8 of the 13 treasures of Rule. No resolution, man! A great fantasy/pirate show ended right in the middle.

Then there's my show.That wound still hasn't healed.
TV exec devils. Curse them!

Amen
er.. I mean Kong Lives.

Oddly I remember pirates of darkwater vaguely. I assume it is the one where the water turns black and bad stuff happens.

It reminds me, no one has mentioned dungeons and dragons! How did it all end?????????

And the greatest show of them all... Twin Peaks.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Futurama...do Leela and Fry ever get together? Regardless, the show just got better and better with each season.

Harsh Realm...fuck you Fox. Fuck you.

Sports Night...not really a cliffhanger ending per se, but fuck it, great, great show.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Mon May 22, 2006 8:51 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Sports Night...not really a cliffhanger ending per se, but fuck it, great, great show.

Hell yea. I used to stay up on school nights to watch that show on Comedy Central. Bought the DVD the second it came out. I loooove that show.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 9:09 pm

Futurama is coming back with a new season on fox I believe.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 22, 2006 9:14 pm

I don't know, Fox cancelling "Wonderfalls" after 4 episodes was a pretty crushing blow. Thankfully it got a DVD release and the season is more or less self-contained, although now that I think about it, it's kind of a miracle that either happened.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 22, 2006 9:15 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Futurama is coming back with a new season on fox I believe.

just kiddin' Coldy.

4 Straight to DVD movies I believe.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 pm

See i've heard both....4 movies or a new season....I don't remember what the last news was....but that lex is scary...
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Lex just wants to be loved...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Ribbons wrote:Lex just wants to be loved...

in the mouth.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

...in the mouth.

:? I don't get it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 22, 2006 9:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

...in the mouth.

:? I don't get it.

HAHA...CROSSTHREADJOKEILASH!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 9:23 pm

Why did Seaquest go crazy in its last season?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Futurama is coming back with a new season on fox I believe.

Matt Groening said in the onion A.V. club interview about a month ago that they were making several direct to DVD movies!

Heres the article:

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/47771
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DennisMM on Mon May 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Harsh Realm...fuck you Fox. Fuck you.

So, you're the one who liked it. The ratings sucked, man. Carter was so hurt that in one episode of The X-Files we're shown a man watching Harsh Realm. He asks his wife if she's seen it, because it's really good. Later, speaking with police, he tries to pinpoint what happened when his child disappeared by referencing a show he was watching ... that was really good!

Sad.
DennisMM

Postby Kilgore on Mon May 22, 2006 10:57 pm

Frankly, I'm still pissed they quit making 'The Tick' (animated, of course)

Recently, I'm a little peeved at Invasion's early demise, but not as much as I was with the new Night Stalker getting canned - yeah, I know it wasn't as good, but it had all sorts of 'when this gets rolling and we get our feet under us, it's gonna be awesome' feeling in it. Now, I don't ever get to find out what killed that dude from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's wife.

I guess I'll live. As long as they bring back 'Thief' and 'The Loop'
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon May 22, 2006 11:20 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:See i've heard both....4 movies or a new season....I don't remember what the last news was....but that lex is scary...

Billy West was responsible for the new season rumor, but he later rescinded.

I'll second the Futurama and Tick love, and raise you an Andy Richter Controls the Universe.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon May 22, 2006 11:27 pm

I'll see your Andy Richter Controls the Universe with the saturday morning cartoons X-men and Spiderman...both great....X-men just started showing rerun after rerun until one day they showed one episode try to tie up everything a bit like the third movie..I have no idea how spiderman ended....I loved those shows.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I'll see your Andy Richter Controls the Universe with the saturday morning cartoons X-men and Spiderman...both great....X-men just started showing rerun after rerun until one day they showed one episode try to tie up everything a bit like the third movie..I have no idea how spiderman ended....I loved those shows.

Spiderman had an ending though it was really fucked up....Essentially the Carnage Symbiote had obtained control of this dimension jumping machine like Sliders with multiple Earths and it intended on destroying all of creation and Spidey was sent by Madame Web to save the day. He does and in the end he is on our Earth where they are just about to start filming a Spider-Man movie.....he runs into Stan Lee and takes him for a web slinging ride before returning to his own version of New York. The only problem was they left off this cliffhanger wherein Mary Jane had been teleported (using the same multiple dimension tech) to some other world but it ends without Peter finding her or even seeming sorta disappointed that he didn't find her. I'm sad I can remember this.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial