Deadwood Discussion Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Deadwood Discussion Thread

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:17 am

So what did people think of Season 3 premier?

I thought it set the stage for what will be another great season of blood, filth and politicin’.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:19 am

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:21 am

It will be after this season and the 4 hr movie.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:23 am

Pretty good opening for S3. I missed alot of S2, but caught the finale Saturday night. Is Alma back on the opium again, or just having a rough pregnancy?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:56 am

Are seasons 1 & 2 available on DVD?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 pm

The scene with Swearingen and Hearst was just awesome. Great dialogue and even better acting. Ian McShane owns that entire show and deserves awards and accolades everytime he speaks on that show. This season is going to be great.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:48 pm

Vegeta wrote:Is Alma back on the opium again, or just having a rough pregnancy?

I think she is having a rought time with the pregnancy and it seems did not even want to take drugs to ease her pain.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Twas a good opener but I couldn't quite remember what had happened at the end of season 2 and it took me a while to catch up, the dialogue is so fast, rich & dense that I often find myself getting a little confused as to what is actually happening but by the end of the episode it was all clear in my mind, I hope this show goes out on a good note.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:Twas a good opener but I couldn't quite remember what had happened at the end of season 2 and it took me a while to catch up, the dialogue is so fast, rich & dense that I often find myself getting a little confused as to what is actually happening but by the end of the episode it was all clear in my mind, I hope this show goes out on a good note.

You fucking gentleman.
You still beat me with a broken computer. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.
:wink:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:26 pm

And Entourage you tosspot, catch up you gentleman.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 pm

Aaaaah, I forgot about entoruage. I think I might cry. I have been getting the end of season 2 of BSG though. Just up to "Scar" now.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby StaffInfection on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:19 pm

I thought it was a great setup for the inevitable Swearengen/Hearst bloodbath. Also, I loved watching E.B. get his ass kicked by Seth. I can't wait for the rest of the season! Btw, Alma didn't want to take the drugs, but Doc forced her.
StaffInfection
GLIB

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:31 am

John-Locke wrote:Twas a good opener but I couldn't quite remember what had happened at the end of season 2 and it took me a while to catch up, the dialogue is so fast, rich & dense that I often find myself getting a little confused as to what is actually happening but by the end of the episode it was all clear in my mind, I hope this show goes out on a good note.

I feel the same way. My girlfriend wil ask me (out of conversation... she's gonna take a little time to get into "Deadwood", if you know what I mean :wink: ) how the show was. But, I can only give her broadstrokes, as if too much happened to remember, mostly saying "Well, it was awesome... but, "complicated".
I caught it again tonight and picked up alot more. Basically, I've found, that I need to hear alot of the dialouge twice to catch it all. Some of the slang really throws me. :oops:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:45 am

Yeh, the dialogue is so fast, you are thinking about the first sentence and Al's already on to the next paragraph, it's always good to wacth twice Vegeta I pick up a lot more from it.
It was great opener, not like the 2nd season classic 2 parter, but it's building to some huge confrontations it's going to be a fantastic season.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:50 am

I just got done watching episode 2, I wish people would stop talking in riddles in the show, the only reason I managed to sort of keep up with what was going on was through the actions, about 80% of the dialogue went straight over my head and confused the shit out of me.

Can someone please explain to me WTF happened in this episode.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:03 am

The Vicar wrote:Are seasons 1 & 2 available on DVD?

Aye, Vic, Season 2 just came out a couple weeks ago. I can't participate in this thread though, 'cause I've only just finished Jewel's Boot Is Made for Walking, the second-to-last episode of Season 1.

Edit: Show title.
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:33 pm

I love Deadwood.....though at times the language seems to shift from antiquarian to something more along the lines of Shakespeare.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I love Deadwood.....though at times the language seems to shift from antiquarian to something more along the lines of Shakespeare.

I agree, last night the girlfriend and I were watching it and she kept asking "can you follow this?". And I was like "yeah, well, sort of... okay, here's what I think is going on...". :?
Oh well, I still like the show.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:09 pm

John-Locke wrote:I just got done watching episode 2, I wish people would stop talking in riddles in the show, the only reason I managed to sort of keep up with what was going on was through the actions, about 80% of the dialogue went straight over my head and confused the shit out of me.

First of all, watching it on a DVR is almost a must if you want to catch all the language. Although, Swearingen's first line of dialogue in the street didn't come in any more clear after 5 viewings!
My summary - Swearingen was shown that there is finally a real and direct threat to himself and his little empire - Hearst. I honestly didn't think Hearst (Major Dad!) would come across as such a hard-ass... whoops, my mistake! There also seems to be an allegience between Swearingen and Bullock with the way Bullock was ready to go after Hearst when he saw how hurt Swearingen was. Maybe they're just the best friends that can't really be? Judging by the preview for next week, Swearingen heals fairly quickly.
I still don't understand Tolliver right now. Is he crazy? Is he just screwing with those that he can screw with for his own enjoyment?
Calamity Jane getting naked in the tub - the most unsexy nudity I've seen (which was then topped in Lucky Louie), and that's really a shame because the actress who plays her is quite attractive.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:39 pm

Fievel wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I just got done watching episode 2, I wish people would stop talking in riddles in the show, the only reason I managed to sort of keep up with what was going on was through the actions, about 80% of the dialogue went straight over my head and confused the shit out of me.

First of all, watching it on a DVR is almost a must if you want to catch all the language. Although, Swearingen's first line of dialogue in the street didn't come in any more clear after 5 viewings!
My summary - Swearingen was shown that there is finally a real and direct threat to himself and his little empire - Hearst. I honestly didn't think Hearst (Major Dad!) would come across as such a hard-ass... whoops, my mistake! There also seems to be an allegience between Swearingen and Bullock with the way Bullock was ready to go after Hearst when he saw how hurt Swearingen was. Maybe they're just the best friends that can't really be? Judging by the preview for next week, Swearingen heals fairly quickly.
I still don't understand Tolliver right now. Is he crazy? Is he just screwing with those that he can screw with for his own enjoyment?
Calamity Jane getting naked in the tub - the most unsexy nudity I've seen (which was then topped in Lucky Louie), and that's really a shame because the actress who plays her is quite attractive.

That sounds about right.

Also no one needed to see Loius CK's wang... :shock:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:40 pm

Wow did Mrs. Ellsworth really underestimate Hearst!

Brian Cox was good in role as well and it will be interesting to see the theater group integrate into Deadwood.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Mrs. Ellsworth is a fucking idiot.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:46 pm

It troubles me how disrespctfully Mrs. Ellsworth treats Mr. Ellsworth. She got lucky to get out of Hearst's room in one piece. The tension is certainly ratcheting up in Deadwood. I can't wait to see how this all turns out. Sounds like Dan is signing his own death warrant next week (if you caught the promo).

Mrs. Ellsworth PWN3D!
Seth Bullock PWN3D ON NOTICE!
Dan Doherty PWN3D IN WAITING!
The Cornish PARP PWN3D!
Tolliver PWN3D LIKE A DOG!
E. B. Farnum WHO DOESN"T PWN THAT FUCK!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Spartan on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:44 am

WHAT? Did no-one watch this weeks ep? It's the best show on TV and this season is even better than the first 2. The way Hearst has showed up as an ostensibly friendly man and then become a terrifying hardass is brilliant. And I love the way he's slithered his tentacles in to the camp even before his arrival and is now proceeding to administer the choke hold.
Swearengen is looking beat down and doubting. The last scene between Al and the whore was astonisihing, economy of writing and acting but so much to read into it. My only regret is I want the show to last 10 seasons not wrapped up in 4 hours next year.
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Spartan wrote:The last scene between Al and the whore was astonisihing, economy of writing and acting but so much to read into it. My only regret is I want the show to last 10 seasons not wrapped up in 4 hours next year.

Yes, Swearingen's blowjob-induced monologues are the high point of each of the three seasons so far. I was suprised as hell to see the N-Word General return. I only wish that Bullock would have pummeled the life out of the guy that took over the stables when they left.

Brian Cox had best turn into a bad-ass before his stint on this show is done or he's going to lose Man Points in my book.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Deadwood to me, greatest show on television these days. It's building up to a climax so intense almost impossible to discribe. The suicide came extremely hard, pulling the eye was insane and the ending terrific. Once again Al has the punchline, spilling another classic; "not a fucking word comes to press"
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Deadwood to me, greatest show on television these days. It's building up to a climax so intense almost impossible to discribe. The suicide came extremely hard, pulling the eye was insane and the ending terrific. Once again Al has the punchline, spilling another classic; "not a fucking word comes to press"

Wow... what an episode!!! :shock:
I don't understand why Hostetler killed himself. I wish he would have killed Steve first anyways. And Steve.... what a gumpy name for someone in a place like Deadwood.
The Fight Of All Fights was wicked. It definately topped the Bullock/Swearingen fight of the season before. It reminded me of the Gladiator fights where the victor looked for guidance as what to do.... (thumbs up or down). Hearst's man looked at him and Swearingen's man at him.

But... what I really didn't understand..... Why didn't Ellsworth bang his own wife? Does he know she's all hopped up on drugs?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spartan on Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Yeh I'm fairly sure he knows Mrs Ellsworth is back on the dope. That line about not forgetting Sofia seemed to speak volumes.

Again this was stupendously good. The language seems to have got a little less convoluted over last season which is a blesing in some ways but I did like having to watch a scene 2 maybe 3 times to glean everything from it.

The fight, well wow. What can you say? Brutal, realistic (two f@tt guys wrestling is never going to be pretty) and a hell of an ending to it.

It's things like Hearst's idea of being above the law and Al having the press in his pocket that make this show a level above everything else, seeing the beginnings of modern America, born in the most violent, corrupt, exciting, hopeful of times and places.

Why aren't more people in the Zone watching?
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:24 pm

Spartan wrote:Yeh I'm fairly sure he knows Mrs Ellsworth is back on the dope. That line about not forgetting Sofia seemed to speak volumes.

Definitely agreed on that point. I, also, think Ellsworth is a little pissed about the whole Bullock thing still.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Spartan wrote:Yeh I'm fairly sure he knows Mrs Ellsworth is back on the dope. That line about not forgetting Sofia seemed to speak volumes.

Definitely agreed on that point. I, also, think Ellsworth is a little pissed about the whole Bullock thing still.

Good thoughts well payed of in current episode. Which was once again superb. But a real filler. I loved the opening with Charlie raving against Hurst. And the ending was a real good one to. 'How's the fucking ear?!' "Good Bullock Good" :D
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:16 pm

Still my favorite line so far this season was from episode 3 or 4:

Hearst: "Morning"
Doherty: "Best time of the day to go FUCK yourself!"

Seriously though, I can't wait to see how this plays out. The streets will definetly run red with blood. :twisted:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Spoilers

Postby StaffInfection on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:07 pm

This season has been outstanding! Do you think the telegram Hearst sent is to Wyatt Earp? Wyatt and Morgan show up in Deadwood in episode 8. Another option could be that Dan brings them back with him. Man, these last few eps are going to be intense! :)
StaffInfection
GLIB

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:21 am

Great fucking letter. But what's with the ending? Watched it twice, then rewinded to watch it again. But somehow my lack of english (I'm Dutch) just can't figure out what is the meaning of all that. Anyone?

Oh and vegeta, I decided yo join camp Swearengen to ;)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Why the hell isn't this thread a sticky? It's Deadwood for crying out loud!!! Come on mods, this deserves the same status as Lost and 24. Hell it deserves MORE than that.

Well I'm cought up fully now. It's still getting better. In a way it's like season 3 of the Wire, it's become less convoluted but the scope and range has extended massively. It's like The Godfather now, America is being born there in all it's ugly glory.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 pm

I just made the thread all sticky with my Mod Glob, are you happy now?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:05 pm

John-Locke wrote:I just made the thread all sticky with my Mod Glob, are you happy now?

Mmmm Mod Glob. Salty!!!! :lol:

Cheers JL, you been watching?
TonyWilson

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Whoa!!! Evil Hobbit you are totally scamming on my sig!!!!

I would cease and desist, if you know what I mean :evil:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:54 pm

I wanna watch a Mod Glob.
It's okay... I'm extremely quiet - you won't even know I'm there.

This episode had better not show more not-so-hot woman on woman kissing.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Vegeta wrote:Whoa!!! Evil Hobbit you are totally scamming on my sig!!!!

I would cease and desist, if you know what I mean :evil:

Okay, fair enough, I will get the mods off of you.... thanks for the props :D

Any chance you could change your slogan to "I'M WITH SWEARENGEN TOO, COCKSUCKER!" or something? Otherwise I may cry gimmick infringment. :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:02 pm

Fuck me the Leviathan is indeed rising.

Anyone see this weeks ep? Wyatt Earp's arrived, he's already pissed of Bullock and Swearengen AND formed an alliance with Hearst due to manipulation by Tolliver, not to mention the badass reinforcements Hearst ordered arriving in the very last seconds.
There will be fucking blood.
Best show on TV period,The Wire is going to have to be pure unfiltered genius to beat Deadwood season 3.
TonyWilson

Postby Vegeta on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:39 pm

I completely agree, my guess is Bullock's house is gonna burn about one minute into the next episode. Leviathan smiles indeed. :evil:
The letter was a waste of time, as some kind of half assed olive branch. It only appears to have enraged Hearst further. Looks like everyone better get their ammo and weapons together, for the streets are more than ready to fill with blood.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:38 pm

I love it when Bullock grabs someone by the ears! You'd think it'look stupid but somehow it's so intense and aggressive when Bullock grabs a ear. :D

Vegeta: I'm with Wu now.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Cool and the gang EH! At least your not a San Francisco Cocksucker!

I agree, Bullock's ear grabs are pretty funny. I liked when Utter punched that Pinkerton cocksucker in the face through the jail bars too.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:45 pm

Wouldn't it be something if at the end of the series next year, Richardson pulls of a Keyser Soze at the end? There just always seems to be a little more to that guy every time he's on the screen.

I loved the ending of this last episode... except I was waiting for Swearingen to utter a delayed "cocksucker" after he finished singing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Speaking of which, anybody know what song Al was singing?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Vegeta on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:09 pm

HOLY SHIT!

The season 3 of DEADWOOD has rev'd up again into a flurry of a shit storm!

***SPOILERS***

Damn, Alma getting refuge from Swearengen, whilst Bullock is out of town campaining! :shock:
Her long walk back to the Deadwood bank.
A Pinkerton beatdown courtesy of Swearengen and his subsusquent taunt to Hearst! 8)

Whatever happens, I am glued to the seat for the last two episodes.

Dishonorable mention for the two story lines that are wasting our time:

***SPOILERS***

Langrishe's acquuisition of the new actress and his fellow actresses reaction.
REACT: WHO CARES?
The Joanie Stubbs and Calamity Jane lesbian story line. :roll:
REACT: WHO CARES?
A shame really, because I really like Joanie's character, but this angle (of redemption, I suppose?) is tiresome.

Regardless, of any small negatives, I will watch this episode, probably three or four times before the Episode 11 premiere next Sunday...

HUZZAH!!!!
:D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:11 pm

couldn't agree more vegeta, though I realy enjoy Langish as a character and old friend of Al's. But Al jumping of his balcony and all the things you mentioned. Fiewwww, what an episode. And spitting on EB's clamy face. Awesome.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:52 pm

Vegeta, while I find the story of Jane and Joanie's "romance" tiresome i find the acting in those scenes to be absolutely incredible.

It's actually turning around my oppinion of Joanie, who I have hated since day 1.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Vegeta, while I find the story of Jane and Joanie's "romance" tiresome i find the acting in those scenes to be absolutely incredible.

It's actually turning around my oppinion of Joanie, who I have hated since day 1.

Fair enough, I just sit there wishing Joanie would get with Charlie Utter and be happy. Although, it seems that her character is based on being completly betrayed by MEN.
Her Fateher convinced her to make her sisters whores, then sold her to Tolliver for like $10(?). I can see being a little bitter and perferring the company of woman.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 pm

SPOILERS

Swearengen went all BATMAN on the situation!!!

AWESOME!!!

And Hearst's stooge getting the slit!!!

RIGHTEOUS!!!

What a show.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Next

Return to Coaxial