Deadwood Discussion Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:48 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:And holy mother of your dyslexic dog, that fight between Dan and Captain Turner was fucking intense, with BP literally screaming at the tele for Dan to pull through and bury the cocksucker. For me, I can't watch a guy lose an eye without flashing to Dr. Venture in Season 2, so what would ordinarily be a scene of disturbing violence had me on the floor in hysterics.

Quite possibly THE single greatest fight in the history of television. It's too bad the eye-popping was spoiled for you. I was out of my mind with revenge-fueled bloodlust!

Ohh man I was screaming at my TV when that fight happened was occuring. And it was absolutely the best fight Ive ever seen on TV.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:And holy mother of your dyslexic dog, that fight between Dan and Captain Turner was fucking intense, with BP literally screaming at the tele for Dan to pull through and bury the cocksucker. For me, I can't watch a guy lose an eye without flashing to Dr. Venture in Season 2, so what would ordinarily be a scene of disturbing violence had me on the floor in hysterics.

Quite possibly THE single greatest fight in the history of television. It's too bad the eye-popping was spoiled for you. I was out of my mind with revenge-fueled bloodlust!

Ohh man I was screaming at my TV when that fight happened was occuring. And it was absolutely the best fight Ive ever seen on TV.

The eye-pop made me scream out loud and cringe when I saw it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:23 pm

It was a fucking amazing fight. But I think Pullo vs the Gladiators from Rome season 1 takes the win.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Fievel wrote:The eye-pop made me scream out loud and cringe when I saw it.

Holy crap yes that was so violent! Just when I thought the fight couldn't get any more brutal he popped the eye out. Maaaan that was brutal, and the exchanges between Swearengen and Hurst. Man o man o man o fucking man! Best show ever.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Just finished Season 3 - Can anyone tell me if this is defo the last season?

Obviously wasn't meant to be and I know there was a rumoured V movie to end it... has anyone got any info on such stuff? Thanks

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Sadly I believe any forthcoming Deadwood episodes/movies are trapped in purgatory... :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:11 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Just finished Season 3 - Can anyone tell me if this is defo the last season?

Obviously wasn't meant to be and I know there was a rumoured V movie to end it... has anyone got any info on such stuff? Thanks

:-)

The last I remember hearing was that HBO had greenlit a couple of 2-hour movies but nothing had ever happened beyond that.
The sets were torn down. Milch moved on to other projects. Major suckage all around.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am

It makes me not trust companies/producers when this happens!

Why should I invest in one of their series if they're going to stop half way through! I know viewship plays a point - but then wrap it up (where possible). I thought I'd heard that HBO greenlit a movie or two... well if this is the case then Milch will have to do something special to make me forgive him/trust him!

Thanks for the info though guys!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:46 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Why should I invest in one of their series if they're going to stop half way through!

Just a be thankful you dinna get inna'volved with a the "John From a the Cincinnati", eh? The show that a the Milch, he left a the Deadwood for...

:roll:
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Re: Deadwood Discussion Thread

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:55 am

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 am

I know how you can get your Deadwood fix...

but you're not gonna like it.

Your curiosity will get the best of you though-

Whip-crack away!

I apologize,truly I do.
God, I should really be Dumbledore. It just doesn't make sense for a straight guy to love musicals this much.
Let this be a lesson to those of you who are parents.Choose carefully what you expose your children to.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:19 am

Doris Day of 1953 > Robin Weigert of 2004.

But Weigert's portrayal was likely a million times more realistic.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Currently the wife and I are quite deep into our second viewing of Deadwood (currently half way through Season 2). The 2nd time around Deadwood has so much more to offer. Since I already know the plot and twists/turns ahead it is much easier to concentrate on the storytelling itself. There are some downright hysterical exchanges on this show and an awful lot I missed the first time through. Great show and a genuine shame that it wasn't granted a fourth Season to really wrap up some of the storylines and characters.

Regardless, Huzzah!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Vegeta wrote:Currently the wife and I are quite deep into our second viewing of Deadwood (currently half way through Season 2). The 2nd time around Deadwood has so much more to offer. Since I already know the plot and twists/turns ahead it is much easier to concentrate on the storytelling itself. There are some downright hysterical exchanges on this show and an awful lot I missed the first time through. Great show and a genuine shame that it wasn't granted a fourth Season to really wrap up some of the storylines and characters.

Regardless, Huzzah!

I just got through the end of season 3, having got the 3 seasons for xmas (previously seen 1 and 2 only), and sat engrossed with my fiance for the whole season. Some of the exchanges are legendary like you say, and im looking forward to watching them all again when I get the chance.
But when the last episode cut to black, I was devasted, knowing that THATS ALL FOLKS!!
I had grown so used to the characters, the no compromise prose of the dialogue, the shit kicking violence, and all round top production. And Brian Cox was just getting started. His injection into the show just energised "Swidgen" even more, which I didnt think was possible.

I would give my little finger for one last season. Its just that effing good, and a real travesty it went out before it got a chance to finish. snif snif

The only bad part of the show for me, was some of Bullocks extreme angst. It was a little to over the top sometimes(acting wise, not plot wise), and the mood didnt really fit the face. But its a small concern.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 am

HBO's Deadwood - Fact & Fiction

This is a very cool article.
Im watching thru the box set again, and was curious to see how Bill Hickock actually died, and I discovered to my shock that a LOT of the deadwood characters and storylines are based on fact.
Sure I knew that they were using historical figures, but I thought on the whole it was a bit of fiction, just cribbing themes and people from here and there.
Im not too knowledgable about much of early american history, so I found it a very interesting read, if, like me, this is news to you.

Just finding out the following gave me goosebumps:

There was a real Al Swearengen, who operated the Gem Theater, with the aid of his ruthless henchmen Johnny and Dan.

If ever I thought a name was made up for TV it's Al Swearengen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyhoo, its a nice read and details what happened to the town of Deadwood around and after the time that the show was set, so you can get an idea of future plot lines for what could have been.

Most shocking revelation: Whilst most of the "real" characters used are fairly close to their real counterparts, one is wildly off base : EB Farnum sounds like he was a great man, and I feel a little guilty for pouring such scorn and bile on his actions, but in the show he is a just a master of the lovable hate figure.
I feel a little guilty for enjoying all of his bad situations.
:wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:45 am

My guess as to how the show would of ended (if they had done a two hour final movie) is that the Pinkertons would've of burned Deadwood on their way out after Hearst left. It would've of jived with the fact that the town almost completely burned to the ground in the late 1870's and would've also given many characters a reason to exit.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:09 am

Vegeta wrote:My guess as to how the show would of ended (if they had done a two hour final movie) is that the Pinkertons would've of burned Deadwood on their way out after Hearst left. It would've of jived with the fact that the town almost completely burned to the ground in the late 1870's and would've also given many characters a reason to exit.

Yeah, that was my thinking too, after reading up on the real events in the after the end of season 3.
It wouldnt have been hard to burn the set to the ground, rather than dismantling it and never shooting another inch of footage.
Cnuts.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am

The Script Is Complete

And that hooplehead Dan Dority says it's "stunning."

Please let this be the start of the ending we need.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Previous

Return to Coaxial