Star Trek TOS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Star Trek TOS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:00 pm

ok, as its the weekend, this thread will probably sink like the fucking bismarck, but what the fuck ill start it anyways.

so i was watching some of the TOS marathon they ran on G4 on independance day, and it got me thinking. i wonder what the zoners respective favorite and/or least favorite episodes were. i will start.

a lot of trek nerds disparage the third season, for a bevy of reasons, some valid, some not so valid. and my favorite episode just happens to be one of those third season stinkers that most seem to hate.

"The Way to Eden". yay-ee brother. ok, its campy and goofy, and dated. and you know what, its star trek bliss. i love everything about this episode. this is one of the only TOS episodes to feature original songs. (i think uhura's "beyond antares" is probably the only other one). in fact, when i was an irresponsible whelp, i used to hunt endlessly for a recorded soundtrack to this episode. alas, one never materialized. to me, this was when trek was at its best. colorful and fun, yet still serious. what is not to love about space hippise singing songs of herbert and eden. you know these guys smoked bud. how can you dislike that. or napiers shit eating grin. and spock the hippie. man thats good stuff. and how about dr. severin's ears?
but then again, this is coming from a guy who would also put gems like "Spock's Brain", "The Savage Curtain", and "Whom Gods Destroy" in his top ten as well. dont get me wrong, i love them all. well, except for maybe a couple. and i can get behind a "City on the Edge of Forever" or an "Amok Time" just as easily. but those blue credited episodes where kirk is rocking those fearin' sideburns just really hit me in my comfort zone. and as a musician, "the way to eden" hits it especially well.

so anyways, this thread is for all of you TOS nerds like me, who feel particularly strong about an episode one way or the other. if you loved it or hated it, lets hear about it. if you want to rant about how "The Return of the Archons" was the greatest piece of television of all times, or if you believe that "The Immunity Syndrome" signaled the ultimate destruction of the series, then by all means, rant away. im keen to find out just how many TOS nerds are here, and just how vociferous you can be.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:12 pm

The Doomsday Machine, based on a story by Norman Spinrad, remains my favorite of the original series, nosing out City on the Edge of Forever.

"Vulcans never bluff."

"No, I don't suppose they do, Mr. Spock."

It may be a telling point that my two favorite TOS eps were penned by actual Sci-Fi/Fantasy giants ( Spinrad & Harlan Ellison).

Lot of regard for the Galileo Seven episode as well. Nice showcase for actors on the show who weren't Shatner.

I wouldn't mind seeing the entire original series reproduced - recast, SFX brought up to date, the works. Retell the stories with the latest technical assistance. First three years of the show would already be writ, but after that you can chart new territory with Spock, Kirk, Scotty et al.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 pm

The Vicar wrote:Lot of regard for the Galileo Seven episode as well. Nice showcase for actors on the show who weren't Shatner.

totally agree.

i also like that episode because of the dynamic of conflict between logic and emotion, spock and crew. that, and humans unhealthy obsession with burial and funeral rites. jesus, get over it!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:27 pm

It was great to see Spock's inner dynamics working themselves out without Kirk lurking about.

Spock really did need to slap down those dumbass apemen.
There are times & places for funerals.
Loved the moment of Spock's last gambit & Scotty's dawning awareness of the gamble Spock took.
Yeah.
Good times...
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:39 pm

Tomorrow Is Yesterday and The City on the Edge of Forever are two of my favourites.

TOS episodes are a little hit and miss with me, but then a lot of Trek stuff can be.

Watched The Cage today as BBC2 showed it without warning. It's a really solid, interesting piece of scifi.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zombieslayer on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:40 pm

I like Evil Kirk episodes, and enjoy the shatnerian bliss they afford.
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Big fan of Gideon....or at least thats the name im thinking of.

The onw where kirk beams down to an enterprise with no-one on it, get flu and passes it to all the other god fearing cristians. Funny as hell, especially the point of the show.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Shane on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:29 pm

All trek sucks besides the origional series and some movies.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:43 pm

"The Mark of Gideon". Yeah, it was one of those trippy, what-is-going-on eps. When the view screens come on and we see hundreds of people crushed up against the ship, I got a bit freaked.

Leaving out the very well-respected episodes I'd say "The Alternative Factor" is among my favorites. The first couple of times I saw it as a kid, I couldn't understand that we were seeing alternate versions of the guest star, even when they explained the concept. "Balance of Terror" is great. We get racism, honor among combatants, near mutiny.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby brainiac on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 am

"Mirror, Mirror" for the good guys/bad guys premise has always been a favorite along with the standards: City on the Edge of Forever (ah, romance), Amok Time (death match drama), & Trouble with Tribbles (humor in a fuzzy ball) but if I had to chose one standout episode, it would be "The Tholian Web".

Spock and McCoy battle aliens, the space-time continuum, and each other to rescue Kirk from an interphasal realm of space.

Tight writing, humor, suspense, and excellent action combine to make this episode memorable. The fact that much of the action takes place without Kirk is a bit of a plus, too. Will Kirk survive long enough to be rescued? Will the crew come down with the insanity that killed the USS Defiant's crew or will McCoy find a cure in time? And will the ever-rational Spock foolishly risk crew and ship to save his Captain?

As for the writing, the "we are running out of time!" scenario is always tops for cranking up the tension. The pounding score helps, too.

This is , to my mind anyway, quinessential science fiction -- man, battling forces he barely understands, becomes even more human in the face of the unknown. Or, something like that.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby austenandrews on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:35 am

I'm with brainiac. The Tholian Web has always been my favorite.

I'd rate Spock's Brain as probably the most cringeworthy.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chilli on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:45 am

What's the title of that ep where they land on the planet... and a plastic/plant Knight impales McCoy, but they both vanish?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Chilli wrote:What's the title of that ep where they land on the planet... and a plastic/plant Knight impales McCoy, but they both vanish?

"Shore Leave" -- at the end, McCoy strolls off to screw a couple of robot girls. Not unlike Westworld in that.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 pm

austenandrews wrote:I'm with brainiac. The Tholian Web has always been my favorite.

I'd rate Spock's Brain as probably the most cringeworthy.

Wasn't that episode written during the writers strike?
Kind of cobbled together by christ knows who.

Hated the haunted castle episode.
At times like that STtOS was in danger of losing me.
Its just like with Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
After a double of practically every single member of the crew including Sharkey, the captain & Admiral Nelson, the Seaview was then menaced by a leprechaun (sp?) .
I never came back.
Thankfully, for me, STtOS never quite hit that rocky bottom.
But they skimmed the surface a few times.
Well, no one's perfect.
The Vicar

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:01 am

"City on the Edge of Forever"
"The Enemy Within"
"The Naked Time"
"Amok Time"
"Mirror, Mirror"
"The Doomsday Machine"
"The Trouble with Tribbles"
"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
"All Our Yesterdays"

Classic episodes. And there's probably more I'm forgetting. On the whole, I really like classic Trek. I like a lot of TNG, some DS9, and everything else is pretty crappy.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:29 am

Sci-fi channel here in the UK are showing all the original episodes. It's great to see many that I had forgotten. So far, 'City on the Edge of Forever' stands out mainly because it is a character piece. I also like the one where the crew catch a virus that brings out their alter-egos and the one with the rock monster (can't remember their tiltes though). When I was a kid I loved the episode where they meet two travellers from alternative realities battling each other between universes. Great ending where the good one of the two deliberatley stands himself in the between universe to trap the bad one. This freaked me out as a kid.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby unikrunk on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:53 pm

I want some TAS for fucks sake! They were awesome!

/Are you listening adult swim?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Not a big TOS fan but my favorite episode (for give me if this description is off I haven't seen this in years) centers around a planet wherein a race of beautiful humans live in harmony. I believe they occasionally have to sacrifice someone to their God which turns out to be a super computer in a volcano which the Enterprise destroys with its phasers. Also I believe Kirk introduces th humans to the concept of love and kissing etc. I mostly love this episode because it typifies, in my mind, the vibe of the old show wherein no matter what rules existed about interefering with alien races etc Kirk would just swoop in and slap a bunch of good old United Federation of Planets culture on em whether they wanted it or not.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Selecter on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:11 am

As opposed to the other episode where the supercomputer keeps everybody suppressed in fear except for timed periods of chaos? Landrew!! Melt down!

But yeah, I know which episode you speak of, with the primitive race and the dragon head entrance to the cave.

I like TOS most of all the series, but not enough to remember all the episode names.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:23 am

Scary geek moment:

TOS had 79 episodes if you count "The Menagerie" two-parter as one. In high school I could write out the titles of at least 70, from memory.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:55 am

DennisMM wrote:Scary geek moment:

TOS had 79 episodes if you count "The Menagerie" two-parter as one. In high school I could write out the titles of at least 70, from memory.

Be proud, hombre...that's a righteous score....
The Vicar

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 pm

The Vicar wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Scary geek moment:

Be proud, hombre...that's a righteous score....

indeed.

i cant think of a more useless piece of knowledge that i posess that can win me such favor with some, and such rancor with others. actually, sometimes i freak myself out with how much useless geek knowledge i posess regarding TOS. how come i cant remember important shit like mothers day, and girlfriends birthdays?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Because you're focused on what matters.

Oy, am I in deep shit now.....
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:42 pm

Because, in your heart of hearts, you know they're not so important as remembering which side of Frank Gorshin was black.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:45 pm

DennisMM wrote:Because, in your heart of hearts, you know they're not so important as remembering which side of Frank Gorshin was black.

Damn, Dennis, you see evrything......
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm

Which side was black? I can't remember. I think it was his right side.

Bzzzt! Checked a photo of Gorshin, and I'm wrong. Damn. Lou Antonio's right side was black.

What does it say that I remember the other guy was Lou Antonio?
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:00 pm

Attention to detail?

You care?

Or you're simply trying to obscure the debate, you stinking half white!!!!!

( if you were alive in the 60s, as I was, you'd have been surprised at the way this episode resonated with what was going on in American society then....which is way Star Trek survived NBC... )
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:34 pm

I'm 44 in 50 days. I watched some of the episodes as a kid, more in first-round syndication. I mention Lou Antonio because he's better known as a TV director than a TV actor.

Just gave myself 10 minutes and managed to write the names of 40 episodes from memory.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:17 pm

So I take it there is not much love for TAS? Man, it was great (the animation withstanding). All original voice actors and Jimmy Doohan doing the voices of pretty much anyone else.

"More Tribbles, More Troubles", "Yesteryear" (Where Spock has to go back in time and help his younger self with a rite of passage), and my personal favorite "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth", Aztec space Gods!

Really, you guys don't eat this shit up like I do? To me, it was almost as good as TOS, and it followed up on many of the TOS stories. Fuck it; it was better than TOS, because they had real aliens on the crew, which were not just humans with weird brow ridges and big ears.

/none of which are featured below...

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 pm

unikrunk wrote:So I take it there is not much love for TAS? Man, it was great (the animation withstanding). All original voice actors and Jimmy Doohan doing the voices of pretty much anyone else.

"More Tribbles, More Troubles", "Yesteryear" (Where Spock has to go back in time and help his younger self with a rite of passage), and my personal favorite "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth", Aztec space Gods!

Really, you guys don't eat this shit up like I do? To me, it was almost as good as TOS, and it followed up on many of the TOS stories. Fuck it; it was better than TOS, because they had real aliens on the crew, which were not just humans with weird brow ridges and big ears.

/none of which are featured below...

here here, well spoken bruce.

i actually do love TAS. and i also do consider it an extension of TOS. your love for TAS is quite welcome here.
i bought a bootleg of the entire series on dvd last year at comic con. great stuff. especially if you are a big fan of majel barrett or jimmy doohan. the magicks of megas-tu - great episode! in fact, once a long long time ago, i actually considered naming my band "Agmar & the Phylosians". although, in retrospect, im kind of glad i didnt.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:45 pm

I've never seen it. Is it on DVD? Probably not.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:51 pm

it is on dvd.

maybe not legitimately, but it is avalible.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:36 pm

They look more the 70's SNL-sketch....see look....that's so Chevy there on his knee.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 pm

They haven't released them commercially because the series is not considered canon, although one episode (which I cannot recall) has been admitted to the holiness of continuity.

I liked the show when I was a kid. Don't know how well it would hold up today. At least we got to see a sehlat and a K'zin.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 am

So anyone know which episode I described above?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:51 am

Chairman, your episode is called "The Apple":

Stardate 3715.0: Kirk and a landing party beam down to investigate Gamma Trianguli VI and to make contact with its natives. The planet seems like a paradise until they discover plants that shoot deadly needles, exploding rocks, and highly accurate lightning bolts. When they try to beam up, Scott informs them that something on the planet has crippled the Enterprise's power and has made the transporter useless. When they finally meet the natives they discover them to be peacefully naive but immortal humanoids who live in primitive conditions and rely on what vegetation they have for food. Their society is created for them by Vaal, a rock formation looking much like a serpent's head. Upon further investigation, Vaal is found to be a highly sophisticated and powerful underground computer which needs daily food offerings from the natives to survive. Finding the Enterprise people a threat to the stability of the culture it supports, Vaal begins to slowly pull the Enterprise from its orbit. In order to eliminate the landing party it tries to teach the natives to kill but with poor results. With only hours until the Enterprise is destroyed, Kirk rounds up all of the natives and prevents them from feeding Vaal. The machine taps its energy reserve, but Kirk counters by having the Enterprise fire its phasers at Vaal's force field. After Vaal dies the natives wonder how they will survive. Kirk, however, is convinced that the natives are better off without Vaal and are now free to develop a culture of their own.

Credits and more info here:
http://www.tv.com/star-trek/show/633/episode_listings.html
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:45 am

RogueScribner wrote:I've never seen it. Is it on DVD? Probably not.

They were officially released on VHS, and you can find them on Amazon and the like, but some exec somewhere needs to okay them for a DVD release. Rumor mill is that they are coming to DVD, but, fuck; I heard that about 5 years ago.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:27 pm

It's another episode of the "New Voyages" series - a fan-created and funded series. There have been three already made, available from here.

(The last one was written by DC Fontana and had Walter Koenig in it.)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:34 pm

unikrunk wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I've never seen it. Is it on DVD? Probably not.

They were officially released on VHS, and you can find them on Amazon and the like, but some exec somewhere needs to okay them for a DVD release. Rumor mill is that they are coming to DVD, but, fuck; I heard that about 5 years ago.

Uhh In case Unikrunk is unaware since he posted this...

Go Here
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:36 pm

I never watched anymore Star Trek after Shatner & Nemoy. I just couldn't. I was that dedicated to the original series. :shock:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:08 pm

That's too bad, TNG has some really incredible storylines in there. Sure, some of the episodes get ridiculous (any time you see Worf wear a cowboy hat, any time Riker goes to the jazz bar on the holodeck, etc), but for the time, there was some really great stuff going on there...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:43 pm

And Picard had several outstanding episodes, The Perfect Gift leaping to mind. Darmok, with the late, wonderful Paul Winfield, was superb. And the one where Picard lives out a life on a dying planet ( name escapes me ).. top drawer.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:19 pm

The Vicar wrote:And Picard had several outstanding episodes, The Perfect Gift leaping to mind. Darmok, with the late, wonderful Paul Winfield, was superb. And the one where Picard lives out a life on a dying planet ( name escapes me ).. top drawer.

"The Inner Light".

Both those episodes are from the pretty excellent season 5. It didn't get much better than that season.

The problem is for every good episode, there's an episode where Data decides to put on a production of Macbeth. Or Luxanna Troi turns up and the crew all get menopausal.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:22 pm

Jesus, I just got chills about that episode where he lives an entire life there. Wow. That was an AMAZING episode. I also enjoyed the one where he is being held prisoner by the Cardassians, and they make him think he's going crazy. Picard was the man.

For the record, the only non-standard episode of TOS I can name from memory is "Who Cries For Adonis," and I'm not even sure that's the right title.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:33 pm

Mourns, not cries. Guest star Leslie Parrish if memory serves. Male guest star's first name was Michael, I think. I got nothin' on his last name.

EDIT: I removed my question about "the standards" when I realized what Fawst meant. By that time he'd answered my question.
Last edited by DennisMM on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Basically, like Trouble with Tribbles, Tholian Web, Amok Time. You know, the standards :) I'm not a massive TOS fan by any means, though I love the movies. For the most part...

What DOES God want with a Starship?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:48 pm

Fawst wrote:Basically, like Trouble with Tribbles, Tholian Web, Amok Time. You know, the standards :) I'm not a massive TOS fan by any means, though I love the movies. For the most part...

What DOES God want with a Starship?

I never really went with that. His proof of God is that they wouldn't want a spaceship?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:16 pm

God is the biggest geek of them all... he wanted Kirk to autograph the Entreprise, which he'd then add to his personal collection (note: a distinction should be made between the "personal collection" and the "private collection." The latter may be shown to close friends and select family members, whereas the former is for God and God alone!).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Kirk just didn't want to have to sign another bit of merchandise.

Sulu and Chekov got behind the plan, as they get £7 per autograph.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial