MST3K/Rifftrax

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:48 pm

That would have been a great night. I would have gone but I feel none of my friends would have
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Those are awesome pictures, Dennis!! Those are all great costumes, it looks like I may have met my matches!

My mind is swimming with possibilities...this looks like a really fun crowd!!

The medieval maid's belt/girdle/whatever was fantastic. All hand-worked leather with green inset. I don't have a scan, unfortunately.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:55 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Then came the episode which we had all gathered there for....they were: Time Chasers, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Prince of Space and Space Mutiny. I had only seen half of Time Chasers and none of the others before this and I have to say these are some of the best episodes I have ever seen.

I love Space Mutiny. The love interest who looks 15 years older than the hero (and not in a nice way). The ship exteriors that are all stock shots from the original Battlestar Galactica. The bowels of the ship itself look like a water treatment plant or a refinery. Best of all, Reb Brown jumps off a floor buffer racing at three miles per hour, does a Shatner-roll and bellows, "Aaarrr!" as his floor buffer destroys the villain's floor buffer. Good times.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:55 pm

DennisMM wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Then came the episode which we had all gathered there for....they were: Time Chasers, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Prince of Space and Space Mutiny. I had only seen half of Time Chasers and none of the others before this and I have to say these are some of the best episodes I have ever seen.

I love Space Mutiny. The love interest who looks 15 years older than the hero (and not in a nice way). The ship exteriors that are all stock shots from the original Battlestar Galactica. The bowels of the ship itself look like a water treatment plant or a refinery. Best of all, Reb Brown jumps off a floor buffer racing at three miles per hour, does a Shatner-roll and bellows, "Aaarrr!" as his floor buffer destroys the villain's floor buffer. Good times.

HAHAHAHAHA he actually screams like a little girl about three times!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks for the report, lugz!! It sounds brilliant. There's just nothing better than events with that kind of hilarious energy!!

I've always been really disappointed at the midnight movies here--maybe it's just the theatre or the film, but everyone's asleep except for me.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:07 pm

A real hero would have driven his floor buffer into the bad guy's floor buffer, jumped over the hoods and strangled him, in a very cheesy fashion.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:14 pm

DennisMM wrote:A real hero would have driven his floor buffer into the bad guy's floor buffer, jumped over the hoods and strangled him, in a very cheesy fashion.

I love the girl who dies and then a few scenes later is shown alive and well on the bridge....wtf? And Santa the space captain.....
"Is he okay Mike?" "Kalgon take me away."

Which one is the Brain that Wouldn't die? Is that the woman who's severed head is kept alive by her boyfriend or the warlock who's head is found out in the woods in a traysure chest? If it's the later I love the dirty sleeze ball farm hand "Did they hire him straight out of prison?"
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
DennisMM wrote:A real hero would have driven his floor buffer into the bad guy's floor buffer, jumped over the hoods and strangled him, in a very cheesy fashion.

I love the girl who dies and then a few scenes later is shown alive and well on the bridge....wtf? And Santa the space captain.....
"Is he okay Mike?" "Kalgon take me away."

Which one is the Brain that Wouldn't die? Is that the woman who's severed head is kept alive by her boyfriend or the warlock who's head is found out in the woods in a traysure chest? If it's the later I love the dirty sleeze ball farm hand "Did they hire him straight out of prison?"

Its the one where her doctor boyfriend keeps her alive, although I still pissed myself watching this one, it was the weekest out of the four that were shown
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:19 pm

Indeed, this show was ahead of its time. I do prefer the Joel years, tho I must admit I'd kill to see the early stuff they did(88 or so I believe). We need more shows like this. Independent, free spirited stuff that doesn't force itself on you and lets its subtle humor and charm shine through. Here's to more dvds of Joel(or Mike) and the bots. Excelsior!
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Mike MST3K Launches RiffTrax

Postby mistertim on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:59 am

Mike Nelson is launching something called RiffTrax:

"'...free-lance commentary tracks. Bottom line: Mystery Science Theater 3000-style commentary for big famous beloved movies like Titanic or The Matrix. The hitch: you have to provide the movie. It's genius: no worries about copyright. You buy the commentary tracks for $1.99, rent the movie or get it out of your collection, load the commentary on your iPod or burn it to a disk, then watch them together in true you-got-peanut-butter-in-my-chocolate bliss. ... The first movie is Roadhouse."

I for one can't wait....

(from:)

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/07/20/2327236.shtm

EDIT: Rifftrax website here: http://www.rifftrax.com
Last edited by mistertim on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Proinsias on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 am

Oh hear we go...but..what a SUPERB idea...and without the sillhouettes i the picture...they always bothered me a bit.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 am

That's a great idea.
I had a similar one a few years ago. I wanted to comment movies (But "serious" comments) that I like and distribute them anonymous over p2p.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:23 am

Awesome, just awesome!!

Im off to Amazon to buy Roadhouse!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:37 am

Im up for some more for some more of this.

Lets hope they can be more offensive then what they were during the MST3K.

"MITCHELL!"
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:32 am

papalazeru wrote:Im up for some more for some more of this.

Lets hope they can be more offensive then what they were during the MST3K.

"MITCHELL!"

MITCHELL!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That is probablly my favorite.... I love Squirm and A Touch of Satan too...

I used to get up every Saturday morning to watch MST and then they just stopped playing them...
Now I have purchased a few of the dvd sets....
Good stuff, good times... :)

When I was younger my friends and I would go out to the bars and whenever there was a television on we would make our own commentary which was pretty fun when we were all tanked up...

Anyway, this sounds like a pretty cool idea.. I will probablly give this a try but it really wont be the same without the silhouettes... I like to see them sitting there...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:39 am

Julia and I have about a hundred episodes on video or taped from TV. And, of course, we're liaisons for the student MSTies club.

Unfortunately, my DVD player only plays one disc at a time, and we don't own ipods. Guess we'll need a second disc setup, like using the computer's CD player while watching on the small TV in the office. <sigh> Still a great idea, though.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Shane on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:44 am

Those tracks should be standard options on most DVd's . IT would be better than most commentary tracks.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am

I wish it wasn't only Mike alone.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:03 am

He's pretty damned funny on his own; he was head writer for MST. Have you read either of his books?
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am

DennisMM wrote:He's pretty damned funny on his own; he was head writer for MST. Have you read either of his books?

I am a fan and well aware of Mike's work but I think one man commentary just won't be as amusing as the group effort from MST3K.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

Fair enough. The character interaction was a big part of the show.
DennisMM

Postby tfactor on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:36 am

yeah I'd have to agree with the others here Dennis, though I think this is definately worth checking out I really wish Mike, Tom and Crow were all doing the commentary. Hell even bring joel back that guy isn't doing anything these days anyway.

What was the most recent guys name who did Servo, because between his singing and humor I thought he was one of the better characters on the show. What ever happened to that guy? and why hasn't he replaced Leno yet?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:47 am

Kevin Murphy was Servo starting with season two, after Josh Weinstein left the show (thank the gods). He was great as Servo and as Bobo in the last three seasons.

He hasn't done much TV for a while. He was on an episode of The Cheap Seats on ESPN, but most recently he did a direct-to-video thing, The Three Stooges in Color, that also featured Mike Nelson and Bill Corbett (Observer/Brain Guy from the SciFi seasons).

A few years back he put out a book, A Year at the Movies, about how he saw a movie every day for a damned year. Not a different movie, though, which bugged me. Good read with some great weekly updates.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:33 am

Is this the first one? Or do they only offer one movie's riffs at a time? If the latter, that's a bad idea all around.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:35 am

DennisMM wrote: He was on an episode of The Cheap Seats on ESPN

Are you refering to the one with Mike and the Bots mocking Cheap Seats? Or was he on another one?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:23 am

That was the one. Sorry I didn't specify.
DennisMM

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:17 am

Watching the movie right now...

Makes me miss this show even more.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 am

bastard_robo wrote:Watching the movie right now...

amen brother

Incidently; This island Earth has just been released (un riffed) on DVD, Mori reviewed it the other day
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:47 am

Yeah... but i cant watch it unless im watching the MST3K version.

I think ill put Mitchell on next.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:54 am

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmitchel!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:47 am

why dose it smell like packaderms in here?
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Wa tching the movie right now...

amen brother

Incidently; This island Earth has just been released (un riffed) on DVD, Mori reviewed it the other day

Isn't that the one with Russell Johnson ( The Professor ) playing, gasp, a scientist?

This is a good one. Riffed & unriffed.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:12 am

The Vicar wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:
bastard_r obo wrote:Wa tching the movie right now...

amen brother

Isn't that the one with Russell Johnson ( The Professor ) playing, gasp, a scientist?

This is a good one. Riffed & unriffed.

Yeah, poor Russell gets vaporized by the "good" aliens' beam as he and the leads try to escape.

MSTies Anonymous of Colorado begins its screenings tomorrow -- Friday, August 25. If you're nearby, feel free to attend.

Aug. 25: Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 'The Narrator Who Would Not Die!'

Welcome back! Or welcome here! Or something! Good to see you, in any case. A new semester means a new series of "Mystery Science Theater 3000," the cult hit that swept the nation for ten years until it was cancelled by the Sci-Fi Channel.

Join us at 7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25, in the Lory Student Center ASCSU Senate Chambers for an adventure into nearly silent filmmaking called "The Beast of Yucca Flats." (The Senate Chambers are in the southeast corner of the LSC, opposite the ASCSU offices.)

Once again, let us explain "Mystery Science Theater 3000." Mad scientists have shanghaied an average (or so they think) guy into orbit and torture him with bad films to find his breaking point and use this information to conquer the world. Complicated, ain't it? To resist, our hero and his robotic friends mock the bad movies, peppering each 90-minute installment with hundreds of comebacks ranging from the infantile to the intellectual. The world, safe for another week, grabs as many "Campus Coupons" books as it can carry.

Coleman Francis wrote, directed and acted, uncredited, in 'The Beast of Yucca Flats." He should not have been let anywhere near a typewriter or a camera. He made Ed Wood look competent. His movies are not entertainingly bad. They're just bad. In "The Beast of Yucca Flats," Swedish wrestler Tor Johnson is a Russian atomic scientist who has defected to the USA. A big, hairy, barely English-fluent, not-bright-looking atomic scientist. He's chased into the desert by commies with guns and walks into a nuclear blast. This addles his brain and makes him kill-crazy. All through this, there is no dialogue, just voice-over narration by our man Coleman Francis. In addition to describing what we've just seen on the screen, Francis philosophizes: "Flag on the moon. How did it get there?" and "Boys from the city. Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress. Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." This goes on for close to an hour.

Opening the evening are two shorts. In "Money Talks," the shade of Ben Franklin teaches a teen about budgeting and saving, two things today's young people would do well to learn. Following is "Progress Island, USA," in which an American businessman's company sends him to oversee operations in Puerto Rico, home of cheap labor and cheaper rum. He spazzes out in paradise while wife and kids "wait for him to find a house" and bring them over. Thanks to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for bringing us this study in exploitation and shiftlessness.

All of these free "Mystery Science Theater 3000" screenings are sponsored by Associated Students of Colorado State University and brought to you by MSTies Anonymous of Colorado and the generosity of Best Brains, Inc., the creators of MST3K.

For more information please contact me, Mr. Information Guy at Dennis.Morrigan_McDonough@ColoState.EDU.

Flag on the moon. Thirsty there. Feed it soda pop.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:15 am

Nutz.
Colorado too far.
Mongo sad.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:15 pm

I have to get the Beast of Yucca Flats MST3000 ep. My dad and I watch these movies from one of those 50 horror DVD sets (or suspense or sci-fi or I think there is a westerns one as well) that are all like 50 movies that have lapsed into the public domain and they are really cheap like less than $.50 per flick. I had never seen BoYF before watching it as part of this set but I think it might actually edge out Manos as worst movie ever made simply because there is no "real" dialogue....it's all just part of the voice over track. Plus it's just as incoherent. Of course it does have the advantage over Manos that most of the time you can actually see what's going on whether you want to or not. If nothing else it's much closer to Manos quality then to Ed Wood.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:36 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Wa tching the movie right now...

amen brother

This island Earth can be yours!!

Damn I am going to watch that now...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm

i've never meteluna I didn't like
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:42 pm

I miss this show more than the heavens miss the rain........I miss you.....

I think the SciFi channel hates me. They aquired like three shows I loved and killed them slowly.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:i've never meteluna I didn't like

Ha I am watching it now!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:46 pm

Normal view! Normal view!! Normal view!!! Normal view!!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:If nothing else it's much closer to Manos quality then to Ed Wood.

Yeah, but only a handful of MSTies on campus know about Manos. Ed Wood has become a touchstone, not unlike Andy Sedaris.
DennisMM

Postby smallerdemon on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:26 pm

I totally love MST3K. 150 VHS tapes with nealry every episode is testimony to that.

I've moved about seven episodes to DVD. Fugitive Alien, It Conquered The World, Girls Town, First Spaceship On Venus, 12 To The Moon, Leech Woman, and something else.

Personally, I am a big fan of Mike. The premise of the show never really changed, and they were always successful when they were doing the most basic thing, which was making fun of bad films.
smallerdemon
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:41 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:If nothing else it's much closer to Manos quality then to Ed Wood.

Yeah, but only a handful of MSTies on campus know about Manos. Ed Wood has become a touchstone, not unlike Andy Sedaris.

I can understand that but Ed Wood is the "Worst Director Ever" for posers who have only seen the Tim Burton "biographical" film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:28 pm

BUMP!

I always loved this brilliant show. It's a shame that Trace Beaulieu went on to waste his talents on America's Funniest Home Videos.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:43 am

Has anyone checked out the FILM CREW dvd's?

I saw the guys at CON and seems that they've tried to recapture some of the greatness. They're close, but I miss the outlines of the robots though.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Zarles on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:43 am

MITCHELL! Joe Don Baker IS... Mittens!

My favorite ep of all time. I'm giving my brother in law a copy of it for his birthday today.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Fans of MST3K rejoice! The original cast of the show is back with a new project. Cinematic Titanic!!! Seems like it has the potential to be the awesome.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Yep. Joel's back!!!!! 'nuff said. I can't tell from that blog entry what sort of form this is... are they trying to sell to TV? Straight to video?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:09 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Yep. Joel's back!!!!! 'nuff said. I can't tell from that blog entry what sort of form this is... are they trying to sell to TV? Straight to video?

No idea. I just signed up for the newsletter....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Meh... Joel is great news but the original Servo was nothing noteworthy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial