SCRUBS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon May 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I can't believe you didn't all at least appreciate Janitor as a giant! He looked great :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Confirmation of the already known:

Dear friends,

Many of you have been understandably confused by the Fairy Tale episode of Scrubs serving as the series finale. It was not. I was not allowed to say it until today, but Scrubs will be moving to ABC for its final season. We are currently filming the 8th and final season. The true finale of the show will air on ABC in the fall. NBC merely promoted the Fairy Tale episode as the finale, as it was the last episode they owned.

Also, several of you were very confused by the fact that Dr. Kelso and Laverne were still working at the hospital in the Fairy Tale episode. Because of the writer's strike, the last remaining episodes for NBC were aired out of order. This is why Dr. Kelso was still chief of medicine. That was not Laverne however, for those of you who have been following closely; it was a new nurse "Shirley" who no one thinks looks anything like Laverne except for JD.

Hope this clears some things up.

peace and love,
zb
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Mon May 12, 2008 11:02 pm

I kind of want to see this episode too now. An episode of Scrubs came on around 6 months ago and I fell in love. After about 2 months of catching up with the history and watching quite a few episodes, it became boring. The only character that that kept their zip was Coxy...

And there's my history with the show, in case you were wondering.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Braff wrote: peace and love,
zb

I'm sorry, but what kind of panzy signs letters "peace and love," and then just the initials? How old are you? This guy really is just as lame as his character.

I will say one thing though, I wasn't surprised to find that Braff directed the episode. As mind bogglingly stupid as it was conceptually, and dead as it was comedically, I remember occasionally thinking while watching it "whoever directed this at least has good visual instincts." Its just too bad the lameness seeps into the rest of his direction.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Bill Lawrence on Scrubs moving to ABC and other such stuff:
TVGuide wrote: One of the many reasons I love Bill Lawrence is that the dude doesn't mince words. At a time when sound-bites have become as carefully crafted as a Martha Stewart petit four, Bill continues to tell it like it is. And on the heels of the official confirmation that Scrubs is headed to ABC for an 18-episode final season, he has a lot to tell. About the show's network-hop. About the beef he has with the suits at NBC. And about the somewhat radical changes in store for J.D. and Co.

Why'd it take so long to announce this thing?
Bill Lawrence: As I understand it, it was legally very important not to say anything officially until after the show had finished its run on NBC.

What led to the break-up with NBC?
Lawrence: When the strike ended, we told NBC that, even though we had another seven episodes mapped out, we could do it in three, and they just didn't have any interest. Total harsh buzz of not giving a s--t about a show that had been on the network for seven years and made them millions of dollars. And I'd be more bitter, except that it worked out good for us.

They didn't want to do any kind of wrap-up?
Lawrence: Not only did they not want to do any kind of wrap-up, but they took an episode that was supposed to air in the middle of the season — the fairytale episode — and marketed it as a series finale. Which was bulls--t. It was never supposed to be a series finale, much less a season finale, and I think it ended up getting judged kind of harshly because of it. If it was just a regular episode that people had tuned into I think they would've thought it was cool and funny.

I was under the impression NBC was willing to give you one episode to finish things off. No?
Lawrence: Well, here's the thing. When the strike ended, NBC said, "You can shoot an hour-long finale, but we'll only pay for half of it." They wanted [ABC Studios] to suck up all the expenses, and ABC said that was unacceptable. And it felt especially harsh because Scrubs was pulling in better [ratings] than 30 Rock and My Name is Earl — even though I love those two shows — and they were encouraged to do as many f--king episodes as they can after the strike. And after seven years, I ask for three episodes to wrap up the series and they say, "Tough s--t."

How do you go from three episodes on NBC to 18 on ABC?
Lawrence: It was weird, man. I was thinking we'd put these last six episodes on DVD, just so we can wrap the show up and be proud of it, but the head of ABC Studios, Mark Pedowitz, said, "Bill, if you can make the show a little cheaper, I can probably get us a full season on ABC." I didn't answer right away. The first thing I did was call the cast and the writers together and I said, "Look, if we're going to do this, we have to get back to something we creatively can all be excited about." Because, personally, I felt like this past season we were less than inspired comedically. So I said to them, "This means you guys working harder. It means having emotional stakes and losing all the goofy, broad stuff that I think is easy to write… " And everyone said they were on board for one more season.

Will the show still be a comedy?
Lawrence: It's still a comedy, but when we first did the show, it was a drama with elements of comedy and lots of stupid sound effects. But some of the strongest episodes in the second and third year had character comedy. You can still do things like kill Brendan Fraser and have the lady that loved musical theater die and then sing a song at the end. This became a very Simpsons-esque show with incredibly broad, unrealistic moments and fantasies that were both in reality and not in reality. When you've been writing this show for seven years, it's so easy to get into these patterns of writing the same jokes over and over: J.D. loves Turk, J.D. wants Dr. Cox's approval, Elliot's whiny and neurotic. But this year the stuff is really f--king good. I think our old stand-by fans are really going to dig these shows.

Is Ken Jenkins (Kelso) still a series regular?
Lawrence: He's still a series regular. The core of his participation this year is with Dr. Cox, who becomes Chief of Medicine. Now that Dr. Kelso is no longer a hospital bureaucrat, he is actually a decent human being and is Dr. Cox's confidant because Cox can't really talk to anyone else about how much that job sucks.

I heard you were looking to cast a new Chief.
Lawrence: That's just a piece of stunt casting that we're going to do for three episodes.

Talk to me about these budget cuts that ABC requested. Are we going to notice anything missing?
Lawrence: No. We have a smaller writing staff and we're filming the show in four-and-a-half days instead of five. And, you'll never notice it because we have so many actors on the show, but every cast member is taking two episodes off.

Even Zach?
Lawrence: Even Zach. Remember, I've done one or two episodes every year where J.D. isn't in the show except for one line, and some other character has the voiceover. It wasn't all that noticeable. It just looks like a cool creative choice.

OK, Scrubs fans, you buying what Bill L. is selling? Does the prospect of a more grounded, less zany Sacred Heart make you giddy with excitement? Would one episode on NBC have been enough of a send-off, or are you happier with the 18 we're getting on ABC? (I think I know the answer to that one.) Comment away below!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed May 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Just re-watched 'My Musical' and I bloody love that song 'Guy Love' :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 14, 2008 8:08 pm

hahaha, the tv guide writer is right about one thing, Bill Lawrence is cool and seems to tell it like it is. I particularly liked this:

Lawrence: ....And, you'll never notice it because we have so many actors on the show, but every cast member is taking two episodes off.

Even Zach?

Lawrence: Even Zach. Remember, I've done one or two episodes every year where J.D. isn't in the show except for one line, and some other character has the voiceover. It wasn't all that noticeable. It just looks like a cool creative choice.

:lol:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:hahaha, the tv guide writer is right about one thing, Bill Lawrence is cool and seems to tell it like it is. I particularly liked this:

Lawrence: ....And, you'll never notice it because we have so many actors on the show, but every cast member is taking two episodes off.

Even Zach?

:lol:

Yeah Lawrence seems like an awesome dude. He comes across as incredibly real and honest.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: SCRUBS

Postby Chilli on Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 am

That was one of the best finales I've ever seen. Final ten minutes especially.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Gerald Fried on Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 am

This whole season has been great, I think. Series 7 was a bit lame - for the first time Scrubs was having iffy episodes. But this has been back on form. I'm glad they ended it.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Gerald Fried wrote:This whole season has been great, I think. Series 7 was a bit lame - for the first time Scrubs was having iffy episodes. But this has been back on form. I'm glad they ended it.

Seasons 2 - 4 were definitely the best. From Season 5 on it just wasnt as funny. The finale was really good though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Gerald Fried wrote:This whole season has been great, I think. Series 7 was a bit lame - for the first time Scrubs was having iffy episodes. But this has been back on form. I'm glad they ended it.

Seasons 2 - 4 were definitely the best. From Season 5 on it just wasnt as funny. The finale was really good though.

Agreed on all counts.

Maybe because I agree with Chilli that the finale was really pretty fantastic, but I was surprised how sad i was to see this go after the finale. Even in the weaker seasons this show has always been a warm blanket for me. It was definitely time to end it, but I'm still pretty sad to see it go...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 31, 2009 2:47 pm

...and as it turns out, it's not going to be the actual full series finale.

Scrubs is returning for another season and it seems Bill Lawrence and ABC are going to consider it like ER - the show and hospital goes on, with the regulars coming and going.

Personally, judging by that last season, I think those new intern characters would be able to carry the show. It might actually spur on some new quality writing on par with the early seasons.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Fried Gold wrote:...and as it turns out, it's not going to be the actual full series finale.

Scrubs is returning for another season and it seems Bill Lawrence and ABC are going to consider it like ER - the show and hospital goes on, with the regulars coming and going.

Personally, judging by that last season, I think those new intern characters would be able to carry the show. It might actually spur on some new quality writing on par with the early seasons.

Interesting! I'm pretty curious about this now. As much as I love the full original cast one of the problems with the series from time to time was being lazy in the writing and just relying on them being "quirky". I agree that it could lead to some creative, quality writing.

Only time will tell. I just hope they don't call it "Scrubs: The Next Class" or something...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:...and as it turns out, it's not going to be the actual full series finale.

Interesting! I'm pretty curious about this now. As much as I love the full original cast one of the problems with the series from time to time was being lazy in the writing and just relying on them being "quirky". I agree that it could lead to some creative, quality writing.

Only time will tell. I just hope they don't call it "Scrubs: The Next Class" or something...

Here's the BBC piece on it

There seems to be some very mixed (or just poorly written) reports about it at the moment. Some suggest the ER-type scenario I said above. Others tell of rumours including not calling it Scrubs anymore, changing the location and going for a complete reboot.

Apparently Bill Lawrence also had some kind of heated exchange on ABC's messageboard about it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am

Count me among those who think Scrubs has run its course. Let it die now, with the small shred of dignity it has left.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby theunforgettablefire on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree that the show had a pretty damn perfect finale...and that though this season has been much better than the last few, it clearly has run it's course. I say end it now - God, I hate when shows drag on WELL past their prime.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm

New Scrubs.... it's fun but largely unnecessary.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:41 pm

So you're saying that New Scrubs is rubs...?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:So you're saying that New Scrubs is rubs...?

Not really. It's still brills.

Just a bit odd, considering that the "My Finale" really should have "The Finale".

Bill Lawrence didn't want to call this new series "Scrubs" but ABC insisted on it. I think they should've kept with that last group of interns, had Dr Cox or Turk appear in the first episode and developed new characters.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nick on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 am

Watch the first 51 seconds of this Colbert clip

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... nt-figures
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 am

With or without Zach, what I've seen of Scrubs is rubs. Overdone overloud humour. Obnoxiously unfunny. Especially when the women try it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 am

Nick wrote:Watch the first 51 seconds of this Colbert clip

"Video Not Available In Your Country"
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Nick wrote:Watch the first 51 seconds of this Colbert clip

"Video Not Available In Your Country"

Good! it will probably be rubs.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Just started watching the new season. It really isn't bad. There have been some funny moments. It does, however, lack the emotional wallop that the series had in it's glory days.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 am

Over the years... many top quality shows have fallen foul of the network cancel-bots... belligerent, cold creatures...

I ask myself, 'why isnt Scrubs one of them?'

The new format 'Scrubs - Med School' or whatever the fuck its called, is just so shockingly bad, apart from the good bits.

Contradiction you say? Well, my medical diagnosis is that the show has an (unfortunately non-terminal) case of 'Police Academy Syndrome'... whereby they re-watch the previous seasons, take the funny bits and fill new episodes with said bits.

If Dr Cox was here he would tap his nose, say 'Oh dear god' and walk away... and believe me... he will... about seventeen times per episode.

If James Franco is reading this, I just want to say I've always been a fan of your work, from Freak N Geeks - thru Spiderman and into Pineapple Express, your beaming smile and great hair have always been an inspiration to me...

However, your little brother is so woefully unfunny and annoying I would pay good money to watch him being beaten to death with toffee hammers - 'but that will take ages' I hear you utter....

yes, yes it will.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 pm

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 am

At least I'm not alone in my utter revulsion at the re-invention of Scrubs...

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/24/scrubs-dead-or-alive/
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 pm

It's kind of a shame, it had one of my favorite finales (the real finale) ever. I didn't hate the reinvention as much as some of you seem to have, but it did always seem pretty soul-less to me compared to the original show, even compared to down seasons. I've been saying this for some time now, but I'm ready for this to be done already!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:It's kind of a shame, it had one of my favorite finales (the real finale) ever. I didn't hate the reinvention as much as some of you seem to have, but it did always seem pretty soul-less to me compared to the original show, even compared to down seasons. I've been saying this for some time now, but I'm ready for this to be done already!

I still watch it. I find glimmers of enjoyment in each episode. But at this point, I wouldn't even think twice if it was gone. I probably wouldn't even notice at first.

I just am not invested at all in any of these characters. Nor do they even make any effort to help you invest any time in them.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Brit Pop wrote:If James Franco is reading this, I just want to say I've always been a fan of your work, from Freak N Geeks - thru Spiderman and into Pineapple Express, your beaming smile and great hair have always been an inspiration to me...

However, your little brother is so woefully unfunny and annoying I would pay good money to watch him being beaten to death with toffee hammers

Cole was my favorite character! Sure, he was super-annoying, but he was supposed to be. For those of you who haven't seen any eps:

I think it actually is over (again) for real (again) now... the last episode is on Hulu. It's actually too bad because I kind of liked New Scrubs. I haven't watched Scrubs 1.0 in a long time, probably 4 seasons at least, so maybe that's why I'm not really bothered by the change. But I would've liked to see this version go on for at least a little while longer.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:If James Franco is reading this, I just want to say I've always been a fan of your work, from Freak N Geeks - thru Spiderman and into Pineapple Express, your beaming smile and great hair have always been an inspiration to me...

However, your little brother is so woefully unfunny and annoying I would pay good money to watch him being beaten to death with toffee hammers

Cole was my favorite character! Sure, he was super-annoying, but he was supposed to be. For those of you who haven't seen any eps:

I think it actually is over (again) for real (again) now... the last episode is on Hulu. It's actually too bad because I kind of liked New Scrubs. I haven't watched Scrubs 1.0 in a long time, probably 4 seasons at least, so maybe that's why I'm not really bothered by the change. But I would've liked to see this version go on for at least a little while longer.

I agree. Cole is the only part of the show that I kind of dig. Him and Lucy together are pretty great. And Cole had a nice ep recently where he discovered he had all the tools necessary to be a surgeon. I thought that was great stuff. Same with his cancer ep.

So, Brit Pop, LAY OFF COLE!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
So, Brit Pop, LAY OFF COLE!

NEVEEEEEEERRRRR!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue May 25, 2010 5:58 pm

*sigh* Just saw the final episode (Y'know...the REAL final episode, where J.D. leaves the Sacred Heart, not the final episode of the Spin Off) and it made me nostalgic. Not just because they brought back every memorable guest star, but also because I realized what a big part of my life Scrubs was. It was there since I left school and stepped into the working world (and unemployment), which means that it led me through the beginning of the second big chapter of my life. Man, I remember how I sat there in job school when Season 1 was just running and how we were all talking every wednesday about the episode from last night and especially about how the janitor tortured J.D. this time. Good memories...
It's like I said before: Seasons 1-5 were just TV comedy in perfection. Unbelievable hilarious, but touching at the same time, without sliding into the typical sitcom trap of getting too sappy and making episodes end with a freeze frame of the cast, how they look to the floor, while a telephone number for a help organisation runs across the screen. Season 6 was a huge drop in quality. The jokes were still funny most of the time, but the stories were just horrible. (Oh, how I hate Private Dancer and how his storyline got concluded by the worst episode of the whole series! Yes, I mean the "hey, let's talk about or suicide attempts"-episode!) Season 7 was great again, but unfortunately so short that you can only judge it by british standards as a full season. And Season 8 was very irritating with its habit of degrading the main cast way too often to guest stars, while spending too much time with the new interns (even if they were good characters). At least they had a perfect ending.
Don't know about "Med School". I'm sure it won't hit German TV screens before 2011, so I have time to make up my mind about it. Of course I will watch it, but I just know that the show, that gave me so much during the last decade, is now over.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 am

So that was the ending that was supposed to be good? Interesting :?

DerLanghaarige wrote: Not just because they brought back every memorable guest star [...]

That would have included Brendan Fraser, wouldn't it?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 am

Al Shut wrote:That would have included Brendan Fraser, wouldn't it?

Yeah, when I went to bed after I wrote this I thought about it too and came up with some more missing people (Fraser, Michael J. Fox, Heather Graham, Jay Mohr, Richard Kind, Colin Farrell, Julianne Margoiles, Dave Foley and despite being a supporting character since the very earliest episodes, even Doug was missing!) but I let it slip because most of them are usually pretty busy and it was nice that they managed to bring so many other guest stars together at the same time anyway. Not to mention that I'm very happy that Private Dancer was missing too. ;)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby MacCready on Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am

Man, I loved this show. And I hate NBC for always giving it the back of their hand.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Fried Gold on Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 am

Al Shut wrote:So that was the ending that was supposed to be good? Interesting :?

Banned.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Coaxial