Vanished

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Vanished

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:34 pm

did anyone watch Vanished tonight on Fox?

Herc seems to have a thing against this show, but i thought it was pretty good. it didn't blow me away, but it definitely got me interested enough to keep watching. i dig a good mystery, and this show seems like it's got a lot of possibilities. of course, it could end up being brilliant or ALF, that's just the chance you take.

the weakest part of the show for me was the lead FBI guy. that actor, to me, just felt like a dud. on the other hand, even though her noxzema days are well behind her, rebecca gayheart is still pretty fucking hot.

the thing that's got me most excited is the scene from the preview at the end with all those guys in robes talking in creepy voices. all i could think when i saw that was...

PLEASE LET THEM BE SATANISTS!!!

there just aren't enough good satanist shows these days, y'know?

i'd be cool if it turned out to be some secret society like the freemasons, bent on world domination though... but it'd be even cooler if they were satanist freemasons.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:38 pm

I watched the pilot the other week and it just wasn't for me.

I just could not find any reason whatsoever to care.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:28 am

I'm betting on a halfassed "Illuminati" or "Rosicrucians" esque group rather than Satanists.

Prison Break completely copped out on showing how the hell the guys got out of that field from last season's last episode. Complete BS.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I'm betting on a halfassed "Illuminati" or "Rosicrucians" esque group rather than Satanists.

Prison Break completely copped out on showing how the hell the guys got out of that field from last season's last episode. Complete BS.

rosicrucians would be disappointing. i've already seen the davinci code, i've had enough of rose crosses and mary magdalene.

i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for satanists. or some kind of wicker man secret society living on an island, where the chick who vanished originally came from and now they've taken her back to sacrifice her to some giant lovecraftian space-beast. something tells me they probably won't go in that direction though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Believe me Baxter I like your idea better. In fact I would love to see a tv series that delves into those really complicated conspiracies about Reptilian shap sifting aliens taking over the world through deals with major wealthy groups and the US government etc....Like Art Bell's show turned to 11.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:32 am

anyone else watching this show? personally it's one of my 2 favourite new shows (the other is jericho but it's only been a couple episodes so it's still too early to tell how that one's gonna turn out).

this post is gonna contain BIG-ASS SPOILERS so if you have any intention of watching this show, or are gonna catch up on dvd, or tivo'd tonight's episode but haven't watched it yet, then don't read the tiny-text below. i'm talking "bruce willis is actually a ghost"-level spoilers.

i gotta give this show credit, it takes real balls to kill off your lead character six episodes in. i wasn't that fond of him at first, but he was growing on me. i thought the personal angle with him and his last case ending in disaster, and his family issues, was interesting. he was no jack bauer, but that made the show realistic, 'cos he seemed like a basic ordinary person, the kind of person who would really be an fbi investigator in real life, not a superhero. i hope the guy who takes over for him doesn't go all jack bauer, as much as i may like 24, i think the best part of this show is the mystery aspect and these realistic fbi types trying to dig into this ultra-secret political conspiracy. so even though i wasn't impressed with the lead actor at first, he did grow on me and when he got killed, i was a bit sad. i think the episode as a whole was really good too, the foreshadowing of his sacrifice with all the jesus imagery at his daughter's confirmation and all. i think they missed an opportunity, it might have been cool if his last vision was not just of the vanished woman, but also the kid who died on his last assignment, to kind of bring closure to that aspect of the story.

i've also been watching kidnapped, but that show really hasn't grabbed me like this one has. the actors may be better, but they're also more recognizable so i still see them as the actors rather than the characters they play. but the thing i like better about vanished than kidnapped is the mystery and the conspiracy storyline. i'm a sucker for a good political conspiracy. hopefully this one will turn out to be as good as the parallax view or three days of the condor. mixing in the secret society (which hasn't been dealt with much yet, but i'm still hoping they'll turn out to be satanists) just makes it that much better. as best i can tell, the kidnapped storyline seems like it's gonna be mob-based, which is pretty boring in comparison.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm

ok i may be the only one here watching this show, but i still think it rocks.

after this friday's episode and the preview for next week, i'm getting my hopes up more and more that the kidnappers are satanists. they've got some missing dead sea scrolls, and in the preview it mentioned something about the apocalypse. so maybe the satanist kidnappers need that sarah collins woman as a sacrifice or something as part of their plan of bringing the antichrist back to earth. that would rock.

on another note, i just realized that sarah collins is awfully close to sarah connor. it would've been cool if it turned out the kidnappers were machines from the future who came back to kill her before she could sire the child that would end up defeating them in the future. but that seems unlikely at this point.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:07 am

I don't watch this show.

But it sure seems like you have a major fetish for satanists. Dunno why.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:31 am

minstrel wrote:I don't watch this show.

But it sure seems like you have a major fetish for satanists. Dunno why.

YES. I. DO.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Jakester on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:24 pm

I watched the show. I'm still interested enough to go to the Myspace site and catch the remaining 3 episodes.
Since the series didn't even get to finish its 13 episodes on the air, I wonder if they'll wrap up all of the dangling storylines, or still leave unanswered questions. It'd be nice to know where they were going to go with it once this season was over...

[edit]wow. first post. I'm a fucking n00b.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:28 pm

And a nice one too, Jakester. Welcome to the Zone!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Vanished

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:19 am

so... i never thought i'd be revisiting this thread. after the show got cancelled and the remaining episodes farted out on the internet (which i never watched because i don't watch tv on my computer), i've been waiting for this show to come out on dvd so i could catch up with the last few episodes. well, it still hasn't come out on dvd, but i recently got a free one-year HULU plus subscription with my new tv purchase (more on HULU PLUS later) and saw the show was available on there, so the last few weeks i've been catching up and finally finished the last episode last night.

AND I AM UPSET.

i was under the impression that they wrapped this show up in the final few episodes. apparently that is not the case. the final episode doesn't answer any questions, or resolve any mysteries. we still don't know if those secret society guys are satanists or rosicrucians or robots from the future or what. so i'm kinda pissed. i liked this show, it was kind of silly and over the top at times, but it kept you on the edge or your seat with twists and turns and mysteries. so i'm pretty disappointed that i'll never find out what it was all leading up to. ah well.

in other news...

HULU PLUS SUCKS BALLS!!!!!!!!

the silver lining of this cloud is that now i never, ever, ever have to watch anything on HULU PLUS again. i've still got 11 months of free HULU PLUS, but you'd have to pay me to watch that crappy service. we're in the blu-ray/VOD/Tivo era, and yet they can't figure out a way to do chapter skips? that wouldn't be so bad, except a) they show lots of ads (even though you're paying, well i'm not, but i would be paying if i was a subscriber and not on a free promotion), b) you can't skip or even fast forward through the ads, and c) every 2 or 3 episodes the video will lock up or the connection will go down, forcing you to reload the HULU app and start over FROM THE BEGINNNING. which means, of course, that if you're 45 minutes into an episode, you have to FF through those 45 minutes, except the commercials which you have to rewatch IN THEIR ENTIRETY just to get back to the point in the show where you were when things went down. well fuck that shit. it's bad enough you have to watch commercials after you've already paid for the service, something that is a deal breaker by itself. add to that the sucky interface that doesn't even include basic controls and functionality that exists in every other tv-watching medium, whether it's tivo or vod or dvd/blu-ray, and now i actively want to destroy HULU PLUS and prevent it from ever existing in the first place. if i wasn't so desperate to see those final episodes of vanished (or if i knew how crappy the ending of this show was going to be) i would've given up after the first episode and never watched anything on hulu again.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Coaxial