TERMINATOR: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby zillabeast on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:16 am

Well. I liked it. They basically cloned T2 and decided to make a television run out of it.

Yeah, they completely retconned T3 (which I enjoyed the hell out of), but I am willing to give this thing a chance. Bear McCreary's score alone is worth watching the show for.
zillabeast
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 am

I think the Terminators and Skynet are going about this all wrong. They need to think outside the box and experiment with less typical models.

You know, like insects and stuff. You could have swarms of killer Terminator wasps. No-one'd expect that the first time and if done right, there wouldn't need to be a second time.

You could go even further, since you'd need some sort of carrier, well maybe a dog or something. The Simpsons might have been onto something there with the guard dogs that shoot killer bees from their mouths ...
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Theta on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:All in all, I thought the episode was meh. The termintors are too soft in this show. I remember in the original Terminators, all you had to do was look at a terminator funny, and he'd end ya. Ol' Johnny boy didn't even have to tell Glau to spare the banker, she just did. If Arnold was around, that bitch who tripped the silent alarm would have her index finger blown off after the alarm button was blown away with a couple of bullets.

Not the Arnold from T2. No killing because Cameron became a wimp after "The Abyss" tanked. Now, granted, he would have kneecapped her, but still.

Personally I hope the show sticks more to "Terminator" than T2, if for no other reason than "Terminator" was a much better movie.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:58 am

Theta wrote:Personally I hope the show sticks more to "Terminator" than T2, if for no other reason than "Terminator" was a much better movie.

Seconded - I friggin love the first one! I haven't caught this on UK tv yet - I remember hearing that it was going to be on Virgin - any UKers know if it's started here yet?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am

zillabeast wrote:Well. I liked it. They basically cloned T2 and decided to make a television run out of it.

Yeah, they completely retconned T3 (which I enjoyed the hell out of), but I am willing to give this thing a chance. Bear McCreary's score alone is worth watching the show for.

Ohhh, I thought it sounded kinda Firefly-ish. Now it all makes perfect sense. ^^
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 am

The show premieres on Thursday 21st February, 10pm according to this.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 am

Cheers CeeBee! I'll definitely check it out when it starts, but I don't have massively high hopes, I must say!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 am

Theta wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:All in all, I thought the episode was meh. The termintors are too soft in this show. I remember in the original Terminators, all you had to do was look at a terminator funny, and he'd end ya. Ol' Johnny boy didn't even have to tell Glau to spare the banker, she just did. If Arnold was around, that bitch who tripped the silent alarm would have her index finger blown off after the alarm button was blown away with a couple of bullets.

Not the Arnold from T2. No killing because Cameron became a wimp after "The Abyss" tanked. Now, granted, he would have kneecapped her, but still.

Personally I hope the show sticks more to "Terminator" than T2, if for no other reason than "Terminator" was a much better movie.

You're right about Terminator 2. At least there was a plausible explanation as to why Arnold wouldn't kill. John Connor told him not to. In this T.V. show, the Sub Terminator just walked past a whole bunch of armed SWAT guys and broke it down to shitty guns = no threat. That was bullshit. The Terminators have no problem killing people, even unarmed people, as is evidence of Connor's foster parents in T2.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:46 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Cheers CeeBee! I'll definitely check it out when it starts, but I don't have massively high hopes, I must say!

I watched the leaked pilot, and was quite impressed. I'll check the pilot when it starts...
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:49 am

What - there are two pilots???
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:01 am

There was a screener version leaked months ago, It doesn't sound like much was changed for the broadcast.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 am

Given that this is a TV show, I make allowances for onscreen violence and the amount of mayhem they can show. I can also buy that as long as anyone doesn't directly interfere with the mission, they can live. The bad Terminator did kill those two cops because they drove up in front of him. He was later able to just walk into the bank, so those cops lived. Makes sense to me.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 am

I did get a little chuckle out of the name "Cameron." Nice tip of the hat. I also thought Summer did a good job of doing the Terminator "stare" during the fight scenes. I think back to Robert Patrick and Arnie (moreso Patrick) just doing that unblinking, steely gaze into the T-800's face as they threw each other around and into walls. Glau had that down pat.

I also don't have many major qualms with T3. I thought they did well enough at wrapping up a story that James Cameron seemingly had no desire to revisit. T3 seems a bit like Godfather 3 to me... a necessary part of the story, but with a tone much smaller in scale than the first two movies that preceded it. And as such, it won't be nearly as great, but it's nice to have the complete story.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:49 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote: I also thought Summer did a good job of doing the Terminator "stare" during the fight scenes. I think back to Robert Patrick and Arnie (moreso Patrick) just doing that unblinking, steely gaze into the T-800's face as they threw each other around and into walls. Glau had that down pat.

Isn't that how Summer always looks...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 am

I am so confused about where in the overall timeline this takes place and how that affects everything else. Like, say Conner likes this terminator chick....why doesn't he remember her at all in the third movie. If that makes sense. Like everything that happens ignores the third movie maybe. So in Rise of the Machines, he doesn't look like he's been running from 5 seasons worth of terminators or whatever. I'm sure someone will have it completely wiki'd by the end of the day anyway.

The action rocked though. For a TV show.

And the way it's filmed, it just doesn't look right. Like, Lost has a distinct style that makes it feel like a movie almost. This should look the same way but it doesn't.

But whatever, it's still way better then I thought it would be. I rolled my eyes the first time I heard about it.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 am

This is filmed just like any other Fox show. High contrast, super slick, choppy editing and over saturated colors. Was an ok pilot to me. Nothing special so far but pretty good action scenes and fx.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 am

havocSchultz wrote:Isn't that how Summer always looks...?

Hence the brilliant casting decision!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 am

godzillasushi wrote:I am so confused about where in the overall timeline this takes place and how that affects everything else. Like, say Conner likes this terminator chick....why doesn't he remember her at all in the third movie. If that makes sense. Like everything that happens ignores the third movie maybe. So in Rise of the Machines, he doesn't look like he's been running from 5 seasons worth of terminators or whatever. I'm sure someone will have it completely wiki'd by the end of the day anyway.

That was the whole "gimmick" though... Cameron coming back and transporting them to the present day (2007) has mucked with the entire timeline, thus making the events of T3 null and void... and also it means that Sarah Connor may not die after all as she was dead in T3. (Or, she may die, just not in the same way at the same time).
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:I am so confused about where in the overall timeline this takes place and how that affects everything else. Like, say Conner likes this terminator chick....why doesn't he remember her at all in the third movie. If that makes sense. Like everything that happens ignores the third movie maybe. So in Rise of the Machines, he doesn't look like he's been running from 5 seasons worth of terminators or whatever. I'm sure someone will have it completely wiki'd by the end of the day anyway.

That was the whole "gimmick" though... Cameron coming back and transporting them to the present day (2007) has mucked with the entire timeline, thus making the events of T3 null and void... and also it means that Sarah Connor may not die after all as she was dead in T3. (Or, she may die, just not in the same way at the same time).

Oh I see. Well, they didn't have to do that. RotM isn't like an absolutely awful movie that everyone needs to ignore. It was pretty good. I don't get those decisions.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Well, they were limited in what they could do prior to the T3 timeline. Now, they can go almost anywhere.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 am

Well, they could always go back in time as well, fixing the timeline... ect.
With the way this show has started out, I think there will be a lot of... "we sent some guy back to 1963 to build this weapon from scratch..." type of stuff. No matter what in the end they will be able to use that as a reason for skynet exisiting... "Someone found a computer from the future who wasn't supposed to...ect.".
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:38 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Theta wrote:

You're right about Terminator 2. At least there was a plausible explanation as to why Arnold wouldn't kill. John Connor told him not to. In this T.V. show, the Sub Terminator just walked past a whole bunch of armed SWAT guys and broke it down to shitty guns = no threat. That was bullshit. The Terminators have no problem killing people, even unarmed people, as is evidence of Connor's foster parents in T2.

I just thought that the bad terminator didn't kill those SWAT guys because it'd take too much valuable time killing them instead of going after it's main objective.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 pm

I always thought that the Terminators indiscriminately killing anybody that got in their way back in the past was weird.

I mean, how did they know that the person they just killed wasn't in some way pivotal to Skynet's creation?

I mentioned this to a friend when we were watching T2 one time and he told me to shut the fuck up and enjoy the mayhem. It was good advice....
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:56 pm

instant_karma wrote:I always thought that the Terminators indiscriminately killing anybody that got in their way back in the past was weird.

I mean, how did they know that the person they just killed wasn't in some way pivotal to Skynet's creation?

I mentioned this to a friend when we were watching T2 one time and he told me to shut the fuck up and enjoy the mayhem. It was good advice....

HAHAHAHAHAHA! It's better not to question.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:01 pm

This show was okay. Not the worst thing on TV and far from the best.
It's definitely benefiting from the writer's strike.
Meaning that if the strike hadn't happened, there'd likely be some better options.
But since there aren't too many options, I'll watch.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Will Scarlet on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Saw the pilot last night. Apparently there is a second episode tonight? Part 2 of the pilot I guess....

With the writers strike there isn't much to on to pass a cold winter evening. The show wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Have to admit my attention was fading by the end when the time travel bit came into it. Is this going to be the big plot point? When life gets crazy and the robots show up to blow us up we jump in the time machine?

"River" from Firefly looks decidedly older than the boy, and the robot her isn't much of a stretch from the psycho her. It was strange to see a familiar face from Roswell show up in the form of a cop. Nick Wechsler. We'll just add a mustache and that will make him look 30 instead of 18...

I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to develop, but I'm not overly excited. Sorry Lena....

W.S.
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 pm

instant_karma wrote:I always thought that the Terminators indiscriminately killing anybody that got in their way back in the past was weird.

I doubt a herd of pork is going to have a hand in the invention of the most sophisticated AI in the world. The Terminators are sentient and seem to know a lot about their origins, so they'd probably use their infrared computer deal to make sure no super geniuses are harmed. I'm still disappointed at the overwhelming amount of compassion these terminators are showing. My cat is more hardcore.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Can't believe how much this dominated in the ratings. I guess the Terminator franchise still has some serious pull.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
instant_karm a wrote:I always thought that the Terminators indiscriminately killing anybody that got in their way back in the past was weird.

I doubt a herd of pork is going to have a hand in the invention of the most sophisticated AI in the world. The Terminators are sentient and seem to know a lot about their origins, so they'd probably use their infrared computer deal to make sure no super geniuses are harmed. I'm still disappointed at the overwhelming amount of compassion these terminators are showing. My cat is more hardcore.

Yeah, but what if one of the cops saved the life of one of the inventors, but wasn't around to do that, because he'd been killed or kneecapped, etc etc. I'm just saying the terminators don't seem to have much regard for the possability of making things even worse for their cause by making big impacts on the past.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 pm

I didn't remember the dialogue being quite so cheesy--but we were in the coldest room in the entire convention center, and I was in that Gorgo gown. I claim hypothermia.

But Lena looks pretty. And there's nothing else on right now. Apparently she's gotten few offers after 300, so Lena Headey needs to eat.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 pm

and another thing, I demand more blue gels on everything. Terminator should always be tinted blue.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 pm

2nd episode wasn't too bad. The headless terminator is kind of, meh. Apparently the main circiut board isn't in the head.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 pm

I really hated the headless Terminator. WTF? Aren't the CPUs in the head? Since when can they remotely manipulate their bodies? And how does someone throw away a Terminator endoskeleton? That shit should be in a lab!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am

I'm wondering, I have yet to see tonights, but do they explain the possible cluster fuck of leaving an advanced time machine in the hands of some san fernando valley bank?

did it have a self destruct?

did it nuke a neighborhood after it was used?

I know it's only a show, but a hole that big makes Heroes look like a documentery.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:15 am

No 2nd ep here yet, so I'll stop reading now, but I just watched the first ep on tivo. I've been avoiding the thread so as to avoid spoilers, so let me catch up by first saying:

Shan wrote:On the subject of Terminator 3 and how did Arnold get to be the model for the T-800 series 101, go to youtube and look up "Terminator 3 extra" as your search term (or Teminator 3 deleted scene).

It's compellingly awful, like a train wreck with body parts everywhere (metaphorically) and yet you can't look away ...

oh. my. christ.

Ok, on to the show. I am as decidedly "meh" as everyone else. Not horrible, not fantastic. I'll keep watching for awhile, especially with (as everyone has noted) the writer's strike. It's that or fucking American Gladiators.

Glau was good, Lena was good. The kid was pretty ok too, actually. I KNOW that acting is not what the Terminator is about, but the dude who played the Terminator looked like a slightly beefed up version of this accountant I work with. Not intimidating or scary in the least. He's got that ghey ass fucking robot head tilt down though. What a stupid cliche...but i guess they need to allow him to emote somehow. He's like Data on steroids. Worst part of the show.

The writing was pretty hokey in parts...but it's not meant to be shakespeare. I kinda wish Whedon were doing this instead, though. They did the "comie with me if you want to live" line, which was fine, they needed some throw backs to link you to the films. At least there was no "I'll be back" by Cameron (was there?? If so I missed it. I kind of expected it to happen).

I like the timeline twist. One thing I hate about prequels, you always KNOW where you'll end up...now it's all up in the air.

I'd give the Pilot a 6/10...just enough for me to tune in for a bit.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:23 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:fucking American Gladiators.

FICKING!! I can not stress this enough....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

we need a new word filter.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:25 am

OMG! We so do...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:32 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I said that like Friday night... geez, no one ficking listens to me :-P
Last edited by Vegeta on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:33 am

Vegeta wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

that's because we're distracted by your av you freak. :lol:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 am

Knowing Dino he will change the word Fick to the other word...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:37 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

that's because we're distracted by your av you freak. :lol:

The new Buffy one? Yeah, it's a "stroke" of genius on my part...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:19 am

Watched the second episode.... I'll watch the series now. I'm semi-hooked. I like the actors, I like the characters (although Sara Conner seems a LOT weaker now), and I like the Terminator world. I hope it stays at least decent.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 am

Fievel wrote:Watched the second episode.... I'll watch the series now. I'm semi-hooked. I like the actors, I like the characters (although Sara Conner seems a LOT weaker now), and I like the Terminator world. I hope it stays at least decent.

Yeah, it's really hard to believe she's the one who was stabbed repeatedly by Robert Patrick and smashed out of a mental institution. Maybe all of that is causing her to break down emotionally. She can't handle it anymore!!

Come on Lena, be Queen Gorgo and kick some Terminator ass.

Incidentally, I had a real brain dead moment. I thought "Oh, 1999 to 2007, they didn't miss much at all." And then the 9/11 thing came up. Ohhhhhh.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:03 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Incidentally, I had a real brain dead moment. I thought "Oh, 1999 to 2007, they didn't miss much at all." And then the 9/11 thing came up. Ohhhhhh.

I did the EXACT same thing!!!
All I could think about was technology - bigger/thinner televisions, faster computers, cars pretty much look the same, clothing style hasn't changed a whole lot.... didn't even think about current/recent historic events.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Shan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:44 am

We have a programme called "The Chaser" in Australia which is a comedy show of sorts (though with biting political satire) and one of the things they did was go around the US recently and interview a lot of people and ask them questions.

Amongst the ones people frequently got wrong were:

When did 9/11 happen?
Which year/month/day did it happen?
Which cities were attacked?

So even though Pierce Brosnan got pilloried for it at the time for saying that given time, the event would start to fade from the forefront of people's consciousness; he was right. Mind you, it probably would have been better for him if he didn't bring it up at the time as it was rather close to the event.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 am

Shan wrote:We have a programme called "The Chaser" in Australia which is a comedy show of sorts (though with biting political satire) and one of the things they did was go around the US recently and interview a lot of people and ask them questions.

Amongst the ones people frequently got wrong were:

When did 9/11 happen?
Which year/month/day did it happen?
Which cities were attacked?

So even though Pierce Brosnan got pilloried for it at the time for saying that given time, the event would start to fade from the forefront of people's consciousness; he was right. Mind you, it probably would have been better for him if he didn't bring it up at the time as it was rather close to the event.

Worrying, very worrying!

some guy on the street wrote:Ninth month... October?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:17 am

While I am amazed people have forgotten the precise date, I think making 9/11 into a catchphrase had a lot to do with it. When the media pounds that kind of short-hand into people's brains, the details get lost. Although they say "September 11th" often enough that NO ONE should forget the damn month! Argh!

I honestly can't think why it didn't occur to me during the show, except I keep forgetting it "began" in 1999, and they made such a huge deal out of "into the fuuuuttreeee!" as if they'd be super disoriented and lost. If they really wanted to do that, they should have started it the same year T2 took place. 1999 is just a cop-out...now I see it as a cheesy excuse to work 9/11 in at all.

Still, I bet John Connor thought we'd have flying cars by 2007. He seemed so disappointed the future held only I-Pods.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Still, I bet John Connor thought we'd have flying cars by 2007. He seemed so disappointed the future held only I-Pods.

Aren't we all?

Where is my jetpack?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Shan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:33 am

I forgot to add one other question I'm sure they asked people a lot and which many got wrong:

What happened on 9/11?

I think people got that one wrong a lot as well.

I'm sure they're just showing the people who got it wrong, I would imagine some people got it right but I guess the mere fact they could find so many people who could get the answers wrong is just a bit troubling.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial