TERMINATOR: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:18 pm

ok, i might be crazy, but last night when that girl got into the car at high school, later on it looked like the same type and color of car was being driven by the fbi agent guy who's hunting them. i realize they are not *ahem* racially similar, but who knows, maybe the fbi agent adopted her or is her stepdad or something. if that was the same car, that is.

either way, the way the door opened for her and she got into the car without ever seeing the driver (presumably her father) makes me believe her father is gonna be revealed to be somebody we already know on the show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Will Scarlet wrote:Then with surgical calm she uses a pliers to yank out his chip.

Yeah, about that... that part really bothered me, because in everything we've seen, Terminators are virtually indestructible, unstoppable killing machines. And yet, suddenly they have a chip in their heads conveniently accessible from the outside? All you have to do is yank it out and it shuts them off?

Lame.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, i might be crazy, but last night when that girl got into the car at high school, later on it looked like the same type and color of car was being driven by the fbi agent guy who's hunting them.

More like it's a the model of a the car that a the producers, they have agreed a to use inna the deal with a the automaker, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:24 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:ok, i might be crazy, but last night when that girl got into the car at high school, later on it looked like the same type and color of car was being driven by the fbi agent guy who's hunting them.

More like it's a the model of a the car that a the producers, they have agreed a to use inna the deal with a the automaker, no?

i figured as much, but still... they could've had one a different color or something. since they looked like the same make and color, it could mean something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, i might be crazy, but last night when that girl got into the car at high school, later on it looked like the same type and color of car was being driven by the fbi agent guy who's hunting them. i realize they are not *ahem* racially similar, but who knows, maybe the fbi agent adopted her or is her stepdad or something. if that was the same car, that is.

either way, the way the door opened for her and she got into the car without ever seeing the driver (presumably her father) makes me believe her father is gonna be revealed to be somebody we already know on the show.

I had the same thought as well.
It's obvious, since they've now made a big deal about her "damaged" past, that she's going to be integral to the overall storyline at some point.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DanielSan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 pm

This show has grown on me. Decent spin on the franchise. One thing though: Is it me, or is Brian Austin Green looking F-A-T!?!? I didn't even recognize him.

Getting old's a bitch.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:51 pm

It IS Brian Austin Green? Oh man...my sister said "I think that's a 90210 guy" and I really didn't think it was. I never pay attention to the credits.

My attraction to the next of Reese kin has just plummeted.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:It IS Brian Austin Green? Oh man...my sister said "I think that's a 90210 guy" and I really didn't think it was. I never pay attention to the credits.

Oh come on, LS.
Let's all meet for a soda at The Peach Pit and talk it through.
You'll see the light.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Fievel wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:It IS Brian Austin Green? Oh man...my sister said "I think that's a 90210 guy" and I really didn't think it was. I never pay attention to the credits.

Oh come on, LS.
Let's all meet for a soda at The Peach Pit and talk it through.
You'll see the light.

OMG! Will Dylan be there? Oh, if he sees me with my hair looking like this, I'll just die.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm

Hahahaha, if one of the resistances best soldiers can get his ass kicked by Lena Heady, I weep for humanity. You girls are picky. Brian Austin Green isn't studly, he's healthy. I'm sorry that we can't all be anorexic stick thin waifs like Orlando Bloom.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

And a side note.....
Lena Heady looking like a lawyer was HOT!!!!!
I say god DAMN!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Nerdy chicks for the win
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 pm

yeah... she was way hot (librarian fetish taking over, must resist!)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Hahahaha, if one of the resistances best soldiers can get his ass kicked by Lena Heady, I weep for humanity. You girls are picky. Brian Austin Green isn't studly, he's healthy. I'm sorry that we can't all be anorexic stick thin waifs like Orlando Bloom.

Actually, I like guys with some weight on them. That's why I immediately went all fluttery at the sight of that brawny fellow. But now, I can't shake off the image of his earring, skater's cut and sideways hat....

Maybe if he kicks some ass, I'll come back around....
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Hahahaha, if one of the resistances best soldiers can get his ass kicked by Lena Heady, I weep for humanity. You girls are picky. Brian Austin Green isn't studly, he's healthy. I'm sorry that we can't all be anorexic stick thin waifs like Orlando Bloom.

Actually, I like guys with some weight on them. That's why I immediately went all fluttery at the sight of that brawny fellow. But now, I can't shake off the image of his earring, skater's cut and sideways hat....

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:

I just ate a stick of butter.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:08 am

Unlike with Bionic Woman, I'm liking this show the more it goes. It's not perfect. But it's interesting and it has moments of excitement every week that keep me coming back.

The truck chase was cool and I'm digging the mythology this show is building.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:16 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

The man from the future who wasn't sent back to kill...or protect.

He was sent back to LOVE.

Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:17 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

I just ate a stick of butter.

Have some cake to go with it. Eat it really slow...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Yeah, about that... that part really bothered me, because in everything we've seen, Terminators are virtually indestructible, unstoppable killing machines. And yet, suddenly they have a chip in their heads conveniently accessible from the outside? All you have to do is yank it out and it shuts them off?

Lame.

and yet quasi-canonical...

uneven, yes, and the wildly uneven action direction and staging nearly kills it for me (why didn't Cameron chuck that 'ator out of the van instead of against the sides? Why does Cam never bruise all that much, she certainly takes some vicious licks? Why even bother taking the truck when you've got a nice ride, big enough for 4? Why keep the jeep at the back of the truck instead of cutting it off, and for that matter, why does Cam even go to the front instead of just ripping off the back door and going to the front thru the back? GAAAAAH!!!)

but there's still a lot to like, particularly the casting and performances of the side characters. I bought David Silver as a Reese, solid dead, grizzled stare, seemed to be channeling a bit of Leo's character in THE DEPARTED...and that's saying something, 'cuz I detest BAG. Dillahunt is just as perfect as I thought he'd be, I still say there's something potentially shady about Penny Widmore, and there's loads of other nifty twists the plot could conceivably veer off in.

some decent enough one-liners, stories and ideas need some polish (egads, yet another hokey "no one saw that move coming!" chess hooey? In this day and age?) but there are plenty enough interesting concepts to keep me coming back again and again...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:there are plenty enough interesting concepts to keep me coming back again and again...

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:47 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:there are plenty enough interesting concepts to keep me coming back again and again...

Is that a clip from the Terminator show? Because a Terminator cooling off in a kiddie pool makes no sense... with the bikini on at least.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby johnnyg korrupt on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

It's a good show.

When i first heard about it i was worried! i expected self contained "movie of the week" episodes like Smallville.

But they nailed it and give the public what they want. All we are interested is the Terminator storyline so they give it to us...only expand it.

Excellent work.

It could be better...but it's tv and they will learn from it.

I just want some cameo's by Robert Patrick.

How is it doing anyway? Ratings wise
johnnyg korrupt
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:36 am

johnnyg korrupt wrote:How is it doing anyway? Ratings wise

Not so good, given its budget which i understand is quite large. After starting strong it's consistently been 2nd or 3rd (mostly third lately) in its timeslot, and has been hemorrhaging some viewers.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 pm

We got a Wire alumni this episode!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:47 pm

I hate waiting a week for new episodes. I'm not sure if that's because it's a great series that keeps me wanting more, or if there's just too much to try and fit in an hour each week.

I absolutely LOVED seeing The Future, though.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 pm

holy shit, it's getting better every week!

I am loving where they're taking this... it almost seems too epic for a FOX series...

The posibility of Cameron going bad, Uncle Reese staying on is an excellent choice. Sarah was getting to trust Cameron way too much.

What's on the damned video tape and what did they do to B.A.G. in that damn dollhouse basement room?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:57 pm

King Psyz wrote:What's on the damned video tape and what did they do to B.A.G. in that damn dollhouse basement room?

Not showing the basement events pissed me off.
If it's bad enough you can't show it, then don't even allude to it.

It obviously wasn't something TOO bad as B.A.G. was still "with it" when they brought him back. I dug the Andy back story. Interesting how the cause of Judgement Day seems to change all the time... I like that. I also like Sarah realizing that her whole "Fate is what we make it" speech in T2 was total crap - if for no other reason than it made me laugh as it was a fairly important point in T2.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

It all makes sense now why John sent the other Reese back now. Reese probablly grilled Andy and got all the names he could of the others involved.

I wonder if he'll tell Sarah that he knew Andy in the future and Andy admitted his role?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

King Psyz wrote:It all makes sense now why John sent the other Reese back now. Reese probablly grilled Andy and got all the names he could of the others involved.

I wonder if he'll tell Sarah that he knew Andy in the future and Andy admitted his role?

That brings up a hella paradox though.

Edit: I guess it could be explained away by that being his memory of the event and not truly the future as it would now stand.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 pm

That episode was quite the awesomeness, wasn't it?

I'm really enjoying how they are fleshing out the mythology of the Terminator universe, like giving us a glimpse of the "first-generation" Terminator units with the rubber skin. What was a toss-away comment from Michael Bien in the first film has now become a walking freak-show, complete with Michael Myers/William Shatner fright mask and Borg sound effects, or bringing back the photograph of Sarah Connor (re-shot to include Headey). At the same time, they're expanding upon what we DO know... I'm loving it.

I also agree with King Psyz's comment about how this seems too epic for a Fox series. They're really aiming high with this one, but I'm afraid that due to budget/viewership numbers, our glee will be short-lived. :sad:
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm

yeah, that was a really good episode. very different from the previous ones with all the future flashforwards (lost?) and NO HIGH SCHOOL (yay!). i also loved the rubber-skin terminator, totally reminded me of a cross between michael myers and leatherface. pretty creepy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeah, this was a very good episode. It's almost a shame this wasn't earlier to really hook more viewers with the mythology--but knowing FOX, it wouldn't matter.

For the high budget, you would think they could hire a better Photoshopper for the Sarah Connor photo. I particularly enjoyed the clip art coyote.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:clip art coyote.

Come a to think of it, that would a make a the good custom rank, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Flumm on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:For the high budget, you would think they could hire a better Photoshopper for the Sarah Connor photo. I particularly enjoyed the clip art coyote.

You know, maybe it's just me, but whatever show/film you watch, it's somehow always seems to be the same though, doesn't it?

A few different examples come to mind, already.

It's like some mysterious chink in Hollywood's armour.

They can conjour dinosaurs back from the dead, swirl up entire cityscapes from the blue and manifest krakens at whim, but when it come to doing a passable job on photoshopping someone's mug on top of someone else's in a picture, it's like a group of partially alfed Oompa-Loompas, trying to fasten their little Oompa-Loompa buttons with with great big Poopflingius Maximus sized hands.

Er, to use that well worn phrase.

Hmms.

Anyhow, this show starts up over here on one of the digital channels soon, and I suppose, on some level, I'm actually kind of pleased it's getting some positive back and forth here.

With Lost, BSG, The Wire and Deadwood being the main coaxial exports I've watched these past few years, I suppose a guilty pleasure is overdue. And if this is a guilty pleasure kind of show, then I have to admit the cliché is really kind of true, and that it's half the fun being annoyed by them, as much as it is being pleasantly suprised.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
johnnyg korrupt wrote:How is it doing anyway? Ratings wise

Not so good, given its budget which i understand is quite large. After starting strong it's consistently been 2nd or 3rd (mostly third lately) in its timeslot, and has been hemorrhaging some viewers.

It premiered with more than 18 million viewers. The past three episodes have averaged around 8.5 million viewers. Not horrible, but not great either. It's budget will certainly be a factor in its renewal, I think.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:We got a Wire alumni this episode!

you know that wee little crustacean in the Dentist's fish tank in FINDING NEMO?

that was me...BUBBLES!

refresh me...didn't Kyle Reese say in T-1 that they had won, that they had smashed skynet? Seems even after he was sent back, things are still going extraordinarily poorly.

also, during the flashfoward in T-2 (and there was one in T-1 as well, right?), didn't the resistance use some kinda pulse powered laser/rifle? I think BAG (who I'm really, really digging) was using some kind of future weapon against the flying machine, but I just don't get why they would even have handguns and conventional weaponry from our day and age, as bullets have no effects on the T-rators.

I don't know, if someone can explain to me that I'm not just nitpicking, I'd rate that episode as highly as some of ya'll have...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm guessing enegery in future is more scarce so if you can use high callibur rounds when needed but like you said they also seem to be wholly ineffective...

I think Kyle Reese figured they had skynet beat since they smashed through skynet defenses and took over the time travel research center.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:We got a Wire alumni this episode!

you know that wee little crustacean in the Dentist's fish tank in FINDING NEMO?

that was me...BUBBLES!

I was just imagining that in the Mario voice and I couldnt stop laughing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby allenw on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
Will Scarlet wrote:Then with surgical calm she uses a pliers to yank out his chip.

Yeah, about that... that part really bothered me, because in everything we've seen, Terminators are virtually indestructible, unstoppable killing machines. And yet, suddenly they have a chip in their heads conveniently accessible from the outside? All you have to do is yank it out and it shuts them off?

Lame.

Actually, that bit was straight out of T2 (though Arnie was co-operating in that instance). Though that part might have been only in the director's cut?
allenw
GLIB

Postby DanielSan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm really enjoying this show. BAG is surprisingly bad-ass, John Connor is not even remotely like Claire's friend from Heroes, and River Tam is solid as the creepy robot. I hope they continue to use the flash-forward format every now and then to fill in the blanks about the future.

And Cameron's quip: "Sometimes they go bad. We don't know why." Wow. She could go to the dark side like Angel!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby allenw on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Fievel wrote:
King Psyz wrote:What's on the damned video tape and what did they do to B.A.G. in that damn dollhouse basement room?

Not showing the basement events pissed me off.
If it's bad enough you can't show it, then don't even allude to it.

It obviously wasn't something TOO bad as B.A.G. was still "with it" when they brought him back. I dug the Andy back story. Interesting how the cause of Judgement Day seems to change all the time... I like that.

Oh, I'm quite sure we'll see what happened in the basement real soon now (assuming the show continues). Most likely some kind of brainwashing, probably done by Cameron (previous-future version, or just one that looks like her... or maybe even the "present" one 20 years later?). Killing off chess-guy may not have been John Connor's idea...

Which ties into my Insane Insight: Skynet *knows* that its creation is part of a temporal loop. It may even have known so from the start, and that's *why* it sent Arnie back in the first place (and maybe "let" Connor send Reese back as well; note that we were just told that Connor couldn't have captured the Skynet time machine without help from the "reprogrammed" terminators).

Whether or not Skynet originally knew that John Connor was essential to its creation, it knows it "now" (whatever that means in this context). Cameron is protecting John Conner.... but on Skynet's behalf, to ensure that the time loop remains unbroken. It's all there in plain sight. Look at the series' opening narration, and note the first pronoun in the second sentence:

"In the future, my son will lead mankind in a war against Skynet, the computer system programmed to destroy the world. It has sent machines back through time, some to kill him, one to protect him. Today we fight to stop Skynet from ever being created. To change our future, to change his fate. The war to save mankind begins now."

Thoughts?
allenw
GLIB

Postby DanielSan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm

allenw wrote:"In the future, my son will lead mankind in a war against Skynet, the computer system programmed to destroy the world. It has sent machines back through time, some to kill him, one to protect him. Today we fight to stop Skynet from ever being created. To change our future, to change his fate. The war to save mankind begins now."

Exactly! I noticed that, too! SKYNET sent the "machine" back through time to protect John Connor! John Connor didn't send Cameron back!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Very cool theory! I totally grok it.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm

But wait... Why would Skynet send terminators back to save him AND kill him? From a logic standpoint, does not compute.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DanielSan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:But wait... Why would Skynet send terminators back to save him AND kill him? From a logic standpoint, does not compute.

Perhaps it sent terminators back to kill him, and then at a later point in the future it realized that it needs John Connor to survive, so it sent back Cameron to stop the previously-sent terminators.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:15 pm

I gotcha...

Have we seen any "new" terminators actually come back yet to kill him? I don't think so... They all seem to be there already. This would support your theory.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:But wait... Why would Skynet send terminators back to save him AND kill him? From a logic standpoint, does not compute.

Skynet = FOX
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby allenw on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm

DanielSan wrote:

Perhaps it sent terminators back to kill him, and then at a later point in the future it realized that it needs John Connor to survive, so it sent back Cameron to stop the previously-sent terminators.

Indeed. :) Or perhaps it knew that its creation depended on sending the "kill him" terminators as well, to set up the time loop. That works for the T-800 and T-1000. We haven't seen any "present-day" terminators try to kill him yet. As for the one that shot up the high school, and is still (we assume) pursuing him: maybe it was sent to help support Cameron's cover story? Or maybe... DUN DUN DUNNNN... Future-John finally realized *he* was ultimately responsible for the whole time-loop, and sent HS-nator back to kill himself? (Okay, that last one's a stretch).
allenw
GLIB

Postby DanielSan on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:I gotcha...

Have we seen any "new" terminators actually come back yet to kill him? I don't think so... They all seem to be there already. This would support your theory.

Even if we have, the new terminators in 2008 could've been sent back in time from a future more recent that Cameron's future.

My head hurts.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial