M*A*S*H

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

M*A*S*H

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 am

Scanned through the boards, and i didnt see any thread dedicated to one of the biggest pop culture shows of all time.

So, are there any MASH FANS out there. Anyone love the misadventures of Hawkeye, Trapper, Hotlips, Klinger and Radar!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:20 am

There is a big fan sitting right here staring back at you.

Close your curtains next time.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 am

i <3 M*A*S*H!

Don't forget BJ.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 am

M*A*S*H was/still is one of the best things I've seen on TV. Like Fawlty Towers, it's just as funny to watch now as it must've been when it was first transmitted.
Classic stuff with a capital 'C'.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Love me some MASH. Have seen all of them at least twice. It got a little serious in the later ep's, and I liked that.

One of my favourite examples of great screen acting, and just great TV comes from one of the episodes where Hawkeye is having psychological troubles and he does some therapy sessions with the psychiatrist Sidney (I don't remember what his last name was). The memorable scene I'm thinking of is when Hawkeye has his breakthrough and unlocks a surpressed memory about a kid back home that pushed him out of a boat. The moment when he remembers is fanatstically acted. Gives you chills.

Also love the ep where they oreder BBQ ribs from the states (from Adam's Ribs). And also love...oh, a bunch others.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

M*A*S*H

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:18 am

I love that rib ep. Made me go out and buy some!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Thin Man on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 am

They show this ad-infinitum on the Paramount comedy channel here in the UK. They start at episode 1 and go all the way through to the last showing up to 2 episodes a day and then start again. You would think that after 3 years and seeing it all through about 4 times I would be bored of it by now but I'm not. The great thing is that it basically splits into two halfs. You get the earlier episodes with Frank, Henry and Trapper John which were a bit more knock about. Then later you get the newer cast of BJ, Charles and Colonel Potter which had more of a political edge. This made it almost 2 different shows and helped keep it fresh over the years it ran.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

M*A*S*H

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:58 am

Here in Cali. Fox 11 runs the show around 1 pm. They show a full hour.

Then the hallmark channel shows the show in order, and runs four episodes a day. Then reruns it from 11 to 1 am.

Thats a lot a mash, but its still interesting every time.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:25 pm

I just went through a phase where I was fascinated with the M*A*S*H* theme ("Suicide is Painless") after I found out it had lyrics. I was in a bit of a funk after a show I produced didn't make as much money as I'd hoped, and the depressing lyrics really hit home.

Mike Altman wrote:Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

[REFRAIN]:
that suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...

[REFRAIN]

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.

[REFRAIN]

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.

[REFRAIN]

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

[REFRAIN]

A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
is it to be or not to be
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

[REFRAIN]

'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you please.

The show I worked on next was an original creation inspired by the characters of Henrik Ibsen, who live on in a kind of purgatory after their respective plays have ended; and we worked "Suicide is Painless" into the piece, finding it most obviously resonant with the story of Hedda Gabler.

After digging the song so much I started to get into the show a bit, and saw some really sweet episodes. There was one I liked that was sorta like the part in FULL METAL JACKET when everybody's being interviewed for a documentary. The whole episode was in black and white, as we the audience watched footage gathered by a filmmaker visiting the 4077. It was uber-melancholy; hardly a joke cracked in that whole ep.

I was looking forward to getting into the show more, but just then PRIME transformed into TVTROPOLIS, and the M*A*S*H* hour was moved to 3am.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 pm

is that the same episode where they fire the 'director'? and hawkeye makes his own film? where most of it is goofy and stupid, and then at the end it's all serious? if so, that's one of my favorite episodes.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:59 pm

No, the one I saw was completely made up of footage from the documentary--there was no meta-story, even though there were stylistic devices employed for dramatic effect that it probably wouldn't have made realistic sense for the filmmaker to have used.

It was sorta like the WEST WING episode, "Access," from the fifth season, which was played all the way through like a FRONTLINE documentary.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

M*A*S*H

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Anyone here ever seen the spinoffs? like AFTERMASH!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:23 pm

Heh heh heh, nope.

I was just thinking the other day though, they should totally add the entire series of THREE'S A CROWD to the end of syndicated runs of THREE'S COMPANY since there was only like two episodes of TAC. And the final episode of TC had a big cliffhanger saying "Check out THREE'S A CROWD!!!"

Were there M*A*S*H* spinoffs besides AFTERMASH?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

M*A*S*H

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:50 pm

yeah, trapper had a eries and so did radar, but huis more of a piolet
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Thin Man on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:59 am

We never got the spin offs here in the UK. They must have been pretty bad. As for 'Suicide is Painless' the song is actually from the movie (sorry if already know this). As you point out, the lyrics are by Mike Altman, who is the son of the director of the film, Robert Altman. Apparently he was only 14 years old when he wrote them - boy, he must have been a fun kid! I seem to remember they sing it to the dentist when he decides to kill himself. I also love that song and have it on my ipod. BTW Raulmonkey, where was this show about Ibsen's characters produced? Sounds like a stage play. Sounds interesting.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 am

Aye, Thin Man. I knew the song came from the film and I assumed Mike was related to Robert, but I didn't know he was his fourteen-year-old son!

And we did the Ibsen show, titled, "People Don't Do Such Things!," here in Calgary at the Pumphouse Theatres. It was an original creation by myself, my three co-stars, our facilitator and our dramaturg, and put on by Theatre Utopia. Their website might not be there for much longer because the official TU apparatus is folding, and they're not producing full seasons anymore. Lucky for me, I was able to snatch up one of their slots in the impossible-to-get-into Pumphouse for a show I'm producing in May!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Return to Coaxial