Dexter

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
I think it's better this season overall. So far anyway.

I would have to agree - the whole premise of Dexter watching his department unravel the clues to the bay harbour killer is just gripping to watch.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 am

yeah, it's been good this season, and with lost and BSG still off the air, and the continuing suckage of heroes, at least there's SOMETHING good on tv.

even doakes and lt. backstabber are not as grating as they were last season. thank zod that histrionic bitch is gone, so we can finally stop hearing about her cheating fiancee. she was really beginning to bug me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:52 am

TheBaxter wrote: thank zod that histrionic bitch is gone, so we can finally stop hearing about her cheating fiancee. she was really beginning to bug me.

Agreed - she was getting on my nerves as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: thank zod that histrionic bitch is gone, so we can finally stop hearing about her cheating fiancee. she was really beginning to bug me.

I wanted Dexter to chop her up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

It was just a useless storyline. A woman of that authority/position acting like a wimp over a man??? cmon!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:13 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

there's still time, plenty of season left to go.

"OMG! this plastic wrap, it smells like... a woman!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 pm

I think what Stereo mentioned earlier in the thread would be cool. Debra uncovering that her brother is the killer. You never know.

I'd like to see a couple of close calls with Dexter's chopping sessions. Almost getting caught. It's going to be alot more difficult for him to hold his midnight chopping sessions with the increased task force after him!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Maui wrote:I think what Stereo mentioned earlier in the thread would be cool. Debra uncovering that her brother is the killer. You never know.

I'd like to see a couple of close calls with Dexter's chopping sessions. Almost getting caught. It's going to be alot more difficult for him to hold his midnight chopping sessions with the increased task force after him!!!

It definitely seems like its going in that direction.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Yowsa! Naked Lyla.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:35 am

Just caught up with the new season - I love Lyla, although I totally feel like there's a strong echo of Marla Singer there. The most recent, Lyla heavy ep, is my favourite so far - not only does she suggest some great possibilities for development with Dexter's character and where the show might go, she is, as mentioned, really very attractive. Dex's relationship with Rita has always seemed a little too oedipal to me, and that's not very exciting. With Lyla, it seems he could hang out, take road trips, cut people up; you know, really be himself. Plus Lyla has some really interesting sociopathic tendencies herself - like painting over ugly hotel room art. The writers seem to be moving towards perhaps Dex even solving the case of his own mother's death, and working out once and for all what kind of a man the old man Harry was.
I'm looking forward to more...

Anyone else think Doakes is a borderline psychopath too, and he's getting ready to really start killing a lot of people?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:31 am

tapehead wrote:Just caught up with the new season - I love Lyla, although I totally feel like there's a strong echo of Marla Singer there. The most recent, Lyla heavy ep, is my favourite so far - not only does she suggest some great possibilities for development with Dexter's character and where the show might go, she is, as mentioned, really very attractive. Dex's relationship with Rita has always seemed a little too oedipal to me, and that's not very exciting. With Lyla, it seems he could hang out, take road trips, cut people up; you know, really be himself. Plus Lyla has some really interesting sociopathic tendencies herself - like painting over ugly hotel room art. The writers seem to be moving towards perhaps Dex even solving the case of his own mother's death, and working out once and for all what kind of a man the old man Harry was.
I'm looking forward to more...

Anyone else think Doakes is a borderline psychopath too, and he's getting ready to really start killing a lot of people?

I think Doakes could end up being the one who goes down for BHB killings.

He is definitely psychotic though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:49 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:I think Doakes could end up being the one who goes down for BHB killings.

That's a cool idea - Dex would definitely orchestrate that if he was cornered and needed to pin it on someone (as the final shot of this week's ep suggests he will be).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 am

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I think Doakes could end up being the one who goes down for BHB killings.

That's a cool idea - Dex would definitely orchestrate that if he was cornered and needed to pin it on someone (as the final shot of this week's ep suggests he will be).

I think Debb will find out his true nature this season and end up saviong him from being caught as well.

Think Harry is Dex's real dad?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Think Grande Rojo is Dex's real dad?

It is a real possibility now, although it's kind of scarier to think that Dex just became what he is (with a little help from Harry), rather than that it's some kind of inherited trait or something. Deb's got her own 'Daddy' thing going on with Special Agent Frank - I was thinking he might actually be Daddy...

I also notice Showtime have a web animation thing starting up for 'The Dark Defender' - must check it out.
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:00 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Think Grande Rojo is Dex's real dad?

It is a real possibility now, although it's kind of scarier to think that Dex just became what he is (with a little help from Harry), rather than that it's some kind of inherited trait or something.

I never really thought it was an inherited trait. Rather that the dehumanizing moments of Dexter's childhood put him down that path. I think Harry might have been able to help him not go down the path he did but instead saw what Dexter could be capable of down the road.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Keith Carradine is really good in this so far, by the way. Loved him as Wild Bill Hickcock in Deadwood, which I just watched a few months ago.
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:21 pm

tapehead wrote:Keith Carradine is really good in this so far, by the way.

Yeah he has been.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:46 pm

the show's been really good. i like the evolving father-daughter type relationship between carradine and deb (which is better than if they had tried to force a romance between them), you can definitely see how he's mentoring her and helping her to heal from the ice truck killer thing.

crap, i don't have anything bad to say about this show. guess i'll have to head over to the Heroes thread if i want something to bitch about.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Dexter and Brotherhood both stepped it up quality wise this year and they were both good to begin with!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:26 pm

The Dino, he has always a liked a the Keith, eh? Hehehe... that putz, he always a delivers a the goods, no? Even iffa you go way back inna the day, he has always been a the solid performer, eh?

I would have a liked a to see him star inna the goddamn Wild Bill Hickock Power Hour, a 'cos he seemed a like he was born right inna'to a the role, but holy crappa, iffa he dinna come along anna surprise a me with his highly understated role inna the goddamn Dexter, eh?

I should a have a my people call uppa his a people, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 am

TheBaxter wrote:the show's been really good. i like the evolving father-daughter type relationship between carradine and deb (which is better than if they had tried to force a romance between them), you can definitely see how he's mentoring her and helping her to heal from the ice truck killer thing.

crap, i don't have anything bad to say about this show. guess i'll have to head over to the Heroes thread if i want something to bitch about.

You know I read just yesterday that Heroes has lost about 3 million viewers from last year. Seems to be the general consensus that the show is sucking royally this season.

As for Dexter - excellent. Another great episode this week!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am

Anyone else pull the fire alarm in school - hahahah! That cracked me up.

Poor Rita.

Dex and Lyla certainly got busy last night.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:38 am

Go Dexter! Get rid of the Rita and her kids. Lyla is the way to go for sure.

It was nice we got a new kill this week! Not because he had to but because he wanted to!

Lyla being a meth addict doesnt make sense. Her teeth are too nice.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:08 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Think Grande Rojo is Dex's real dad?

I was thinking that for a minute myself but then I remembered that episode from last season where we find out Dexters Dad donated blood for him from behind bars (or was it the other way around?).

I've not seen this weeks episode yet but I have just watched last weeks, all I can say is OMG WTF NUDE LILA!!!! :-P :-P :-P

I hope Dexter dumps Rita (she doesn't look too good this season anyways, she's too tanned) and goes on a killing spree with Lila as they become Floridas very own Mickey & Mallory .

Anyone else want one of those Dark Defender posters?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm

John-Locke wrote:I've not seen this weeks episode yet but I have just watched last weeks, all I can say is OMG WTF NUDE LILA!!!! :-P :-P :-P

I hope Dexter dumps Rita (she doesn't look too good this season anyways, she's too tanned) and goes on a killing spree with Lila as they become Floridas very own Mickey & Mallory .

Anyone else want one of those Dark Defender posters?

I'm with you on Lyla, and you can at least download a nice desk top version of that DD image from Showtime's Dexter site - probably print out quite nicely.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Yeah for Lyla - I'm in that camp as well.

Rita, kids, Martha Stewart - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Dark Defender:

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/special_features.do?content=the_dark_defender
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:25 pm

that was quite the evil look of satisfaction rita's mom had when she found out they broke up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:that was quite the evil look of satisfaction rita's mom had when she found out they broke up.

So you like the addition of Martha Stewart on the show?
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:that was quite the evil look of satisfaction rita's mom had when she found out they broke up.

Dex should kill Martha just for being the person you don't want your significant others parents being.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

Dex should kill Martha just for being the person you don't want your significant others parents being.

No, she did her time. Made her richer too!
Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Yes, Lyla is quite awesome. Good on you Dex, though I worry that Dexter loosening up is probably not good for himin the long term, not with Lyla. If anything screams self destruction it's rough sex with ex junkies who don't know you're a serial killer.
I'm so impressed with this season it's evolved in such a satisfying way following on from season 1's revelations. I've even got used to Doakes always angry acting style that I thought was crap last year.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:52 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I'm so impressed with this season it's evolved in such a satisfying way following on from season 1's revelations. I've even got used to Doakes always angry acting style that I thought was crap last year.

After the ice truck killer theme last season - I thought how can they top this in season 2. Well they have - Dex is being hunted. His barriers are breaking and he is becoming vulnerable. This is gonna be some bad juju for Dexter.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeh, Dexter is behaving irrationally where before he'd act with total cold logic he's becoming less detached but any attachments he's making are going to risk him getting caught. It's a great situation that the writer's have caught him in.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:02 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh, Dexter is behaving irrationally where before he'd act with total cold logic he's becoming less detached but any attachments he's making are going to risk him getting caught. It's a great situation that the writer's have caught him in.

And it actually makes sense for his character!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:03 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh, Dexter is behaving irrationally where before he'd act with total cold logic he's becoming less detached but any attachments he's making are going to risk him getting caught. It's a great situation that the writer's have caught him in.

I can already see a predicament. Who will she choose?

FBI Guy --->Deb<---Dexter
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:02 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yes... anna these "attachments" he's a making, it's a like a the progression from a where he was inna the early part of a the first season, no? Where he acknowledged that he was alla detached anna such, anna while seemingly proud of a that fact, he also seemed a to realize that he was abba'normal, no? How many times did a the putz say "I'm a not a like a the normal people, eh?"

Anna as he becomes a the more normal, like alla the rest of us a putzes, he's a making mistakes, eh? Getting careless anna such, a 'cos he's a got attachments a to think anna care about, no?

Anna donna forget his a revelation inna overcoming his "addiction," no? "I'm a gonna to kill a you, eh? A 'cos I gotta to, not a because I wanna to, eh?" Anna the need, she was a brought about by a the inna'convenience of a the inna'vestigation, not a the need a to kill for a the bloodlust, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:27 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yes... anna these "attachments" he's a making, it's a like a the progression from a where he was inna the early part of a the first season, no? Where he acknowledged that he was alla detached anna such, anna while seemingly proud of a that fact, he also seemed a to realize that he was abba'normal, no? How many times did a the putz say "I'm a not a like a the normal people, eh?"

Anna as he becomes a the more normal, like alla the rest of us a putzes, he's a making mistakes, eh? Getting careless anna such, a 'cos he's a got attachments a to think anna care about, no?

Anna donna forget his a revelation inna overcoming his "addiction," no? "I'm a gonna to kill a you, eh? A 'cos I gotta to, not a because I wanna to, eh?" Anna the need, she was a brought about by a the inna'convenience of a the inna'vestigation, not a the need a to kill for a the bloodlust, eh?

Bingo, Dino.
Ultimately, in terms of survivial he was better off before any of this, he might be come a better person in the sense that he cares for some people but he's still a killer.

Also the writers are being really careful with how Dex relates to people, he's still completely unempathic, he doesn't understand how Rita feels or Deb. Even with Lyla he's attracted to the fact that she can see underneath his mask, he doesn't care or even mention her addiction or how she must have felt, it's all about him and his feelings.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyWilson

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Indeed - the more he deals with his inner demons - the more careless he becomes.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:30 am

Anna let's a not a forget that most of a his a current problems, they alla arose from a the fact that he was a trying to protect a the Rita from a the Paul, no? Anna he lashed out inna the fit of a the anger anna clocked him onna the head, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:34 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna let's a not a forget that most of a his a current problems, they alla arose from a the fact that he was a trying to protect a the Rita from a the Paul, no? Anna he lashed out inna the fit of a the anger anna clocked him onna the head, eh?

Yes, it's that damn shoe's fault.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:43 am

Points well made by all above. It's even more than carelessness, isn't it? It wasn't mere carelessness had him choose to kill his stupid copycat at the very scene of the crime where he'd been investigating with the crew that morning - imitation didn't flatter Dex (not from that dolt anyway, he was always very intrigued by the Ice-truck killer's attention in season one), it lead him to reckless daring - really rubbing it in Special Agent Lundy's face as well. Reckless and daring too setting off the alarm to get rid of the security video, but in that case also entirely necessary.
Sex with Lyla is significant too - it actually seemed to sate his urges and quiet 'the voices', if only for a little while. He's bound to ditch Rita and go with Lyla, at least for now - it's too thrilling for him not too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:48 am

Something bad is going to happen to Doakes this season. I think he may end up being setup as BHB.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:50 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Something bad is going to happen to Doakes this season. I think he may end up being setup as BHB.

I had that same thought watching the last ep.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:51 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Something bad is going to happen to Doakes this season. I think he may end up being setup as BHB.

Perhaps - but as much as he ticks me off - I do sympathize with his character. He is driven and has had a difficult past - which is likely why he's the Struggling Background Artist that he is.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:52 am

Maui wrote:

Perhaps - but as much as he ticks me off - I do sympathize with his character. He is driven and has had a difficult past - which is likely why he's the Struggling Background Artist that he is.

Yeah I am not saying I don't but I think he'd be an easy target to setup.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:58 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Yeah I am not saying I don't but I think he'd be an easy target to setup.

Well he's not gonna back off the case - even with the Lt. telling him to do so. He may meet his maker this season.

On a side note - I just loved it when Doakes was watching Dex bowl from the cocktail lounge in the bowling alley. hahahah
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm

tapehead wrote:Points well made by all above. It's even more than carelessness, isn't it? It wasn't mere carelessness had him choose to kill his stupid copycat at the very scene of the crime where he'd been investigating with the crew that morning - imitation didn't flatter Dex (not from that dolt anyway, he was always very intrigued by the Ice-truck killer's attention in season one), it lead him to reckless daring - really rubbing it in Special Agent Lundy's face as well. Reckless and daring too setting off the alarm to get rid of the security video, but in that case also entirely necessary.
Sex with Lyla is significant too - it actually seemed to sate his urges and quiet 'the voices', if only for a little while. He's bound to ditch Rita and go with Lyla, at least for now - it's too thrilling for him not too.

i liked how the next time we heard his voiceover, he was like, "great, now the voices are back too"... i never thought of the voiceovers as being dexter's inner demons speaking to him, but it makes sense now, and justifies the use of the voiceover as more than just a way to know what his character is thinking.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:21 pm

TonyWilson wrote:

Also the writers are being really careful with how Dex relates to people, he's still completely unempathic, he doesn't understand how Rita feels or Deb. Even with Lyla he's attracted to the fact that she can see underneath his mask, he doesn't care or even mention her addiction or how she must have felt, it's all about him and his feelings.

Exactly. After the answering machine message from Lyla and the angst it caused Rita to hear it - he didn't even make an effort to run after her - which Deb even pointed out to him. He is self absorbed right now, perhaps he always has been. He doesn't understand nor does he want to - he's on a mission right now - self discovery, dealing with his past, and covering his tracks.

God I love this show!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Maui wrote:Exactly. After the answering machine message from Lyla and the angst it caused Rita to hear it - he didn't even make an effort to run after her - which Deb even pointed out to him.

I just took that as being a typical guy thing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:10 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Even with Lyla he's attracted to the fact that she can see underneath his mask, he doesn't care or even mention her addiction or how she must have felt, it's all about him and his feelings.

You bring uppa the good point, eh paisan? Alla typical sociopathic behavior, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial