Dexter

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby instant_karma on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:52 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i liked how the next time we heard his voiceover, he was like, "great, now the voices are back too"... i never thought of the voiceovers as being dexter's inner demons speaking to him, but it makes sense now, and justifies the use of the voiceover as more than just a way to know what his character is thinking.

That bit made me laugh out loud.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:48 pm

instant_karma wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i liked how the next time we heard his voiceover, he was like, "great, now the voices are back too"... i never thought of the voiceovers as being dexter's inner demons speaking to him, but it makes sense now, and justifies the use of the voiceover as more than just a way to know what his character is thinking.

That bit made me laugh out loud.

I think the Police sang a song about that.
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:50 pm

This series is freaking incredible. Everytime I think this is dead, it just comes back to life with a vengeance. I am loving this show. So, much.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:58 pm

The Dino, he's a just a gonna to give a the 'nother shout out to a the Kieth Carradine, eh? Anna I'm a really liking a the relationship between a his FBI agent anna Deb, no? That one line of a his, where he say "I dinna know you were a smoker," holy crappa that was alla kinds of a subtle, but you could a see a the body language between a them... his a disapproval anna her disappointment, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:02 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he's a just a gonna to give a the 'nother shout out to a the Kieth Carradine, eh? Anna I'm a really liking a the relationship between a his FBI agent anna Deb, no? That one line of a his, where he say "I dinna know you were a smoker," holy crappa that was alla kinds of a subtle, but you could a see a the body language between a them... his a disapproval anna her disappointment, eh?

Definitely! No interest - no concern re. smoking habits.

Carradine has that 'older' guy appeal and you can certainly see why Deb finds him attractive.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:11 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he's a just a gonna to give a the 'nother shout out to a the Kieth Carradine, eh? Anna I'm a really liking a the relationship between a his FBI agent anna Deb, no? That one line of a his, where he say "I dinna know you were a smoker," holy crappa that was alla kinds of a subtle, but you could a see a the body language between a them... his a disapproval anna her disappointment, eh?

What do you think is up with that Dino? there's obviously a real father daughter dynamic, and Deb craves Lundy's attention to a slightly disturbing degree. Was Lundy playing with her last ep by seeming to prefer Dexter, or does he really just detest Masuko (who I kinda wish was still in the show a bit more)?
I'm going to watch 'The Duellists' in the next few days because I read Carradine was in it and it's the one Ridley Scott films I've never seen.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:10 pm

i really hope they don't turn lundy and deb into a romantic plot. i think it works a lot better as the mentor-mentee, father-figure, helping her heal from the ice truck killer, story. maybe she can have a little unrequited crush on him, but if they start dating, that would kinda suck.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i really hope they don't turn lundy and deb into a romantic plot. i think it works a lot better as the mentor-mentee, father-figure, helping her heal from the ice truck killer, story. maybe she can have a little unrequited crush on him, but if they start dating, that would kinda suck.

I don't want to see a big romance there - I just kinda like the uncertainty with those two - where it might go. Just a 1 night fling will suffice.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i really hope they don't turn lundy and deb into a romantic plot. i think it works a lot better as the mentor-mentee, father-figure, helping her heal from the ice truck killer, story. maybe she can have a little unrequited crush on him, but if they start dating, that would kinda suck.

I don't want to see a big romance there - I just kinda like the uncertainty with those two - where it might go. Just a 1 night fling will suffice.

That would seriously creep me the f out.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

C'mon - creepy is good. 8)
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:58 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

Sexual partner wise not so much ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:25 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

She's likely 25, he's likely early 50s - big whoopity doo. I mean, not the first time we've seen young girl/older guy on screen. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:53 am

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

She's likely 25, he's likely early 50s - big whoopity doo. I mean, not the first time we've seen young girl/older guy on screen. ;)

25 SHE WISHES!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:59 am

Goddammit I wish I got Showtime. Dexter looks like something I could wrap my so-called "dark sense of humor" around. Time to start digging for the DVDs....

end of pointless rant

fuck

Okay, this is the end of the pointless rant.

Sodding Comcast.....

sorry :oops:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:06 am

The Vicar wrote:Goddammit I wish I got Showtime. Dexter looks like something I could wrap my so-called "dark sense of humor" around. Time to start digging for the DVDs....

end of pointless rant

fuck

Sodding Comcast.....

You should check it out.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:10 am

The Vicar wrote:Goddammit I wish I got Showtime. Dexter looks like something I could wrap my so-called "dark sense of humor" around. Time to start digging for the DVDs....

end of pointless rant

fuck

Sodding Comcast.....

That's a shame!

Your darkness would certainly be welcome and appropriate in this thread. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:22 am

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

8) well, hello there! 8)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:29 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

8) well, hello there! 8)

hahahahah, your AV is creepy too Bax!
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:31 pm

no shit - and the av/sig combo has been troubling me for quite a while now.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 am

oh man, what an awesome episode! even the blossoming of the lundy-deb romance wasn't enough to put me off.

so much good shit happening. lots of naked lyla. "pardon my tits." the way dexter handled doakes, especially they're last run-in. "i own you" - headbutt! Doakes is definitely looking like a bay harbor butcher candidate, especially now that they know he has a law enforcement background. the emergence of bad lyla. she's definitely a pyromaniac. wonder if she's gonna move in with dex now. wonder if she's gonna end up burning down dexter's apartment building when he eventually dumps her for rita, and wonder if the firemen are gonna find the bloody slides hiding in his air conditioner when that happens...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:24 am

TheBaxter wrote:oh man, what an awesome episode! even the blossoming of the lundy-deb romance wasn't enough to put me off.

so much good shit happening. lots of naked lyla. "pardon my tits." the way dexter handled doakes, especially they're last run-in. "i own you" - headbutt! Doakes is definitely looking like a bay harbor butcher candidate, especially now that they know he has a law enforcement background. the emergence of bad lyla. she's definitely a pyromaniac. wonder if she's gonna move in with dex now. wonder if she's gonna end up burning down dexter's apartment building when he eventually dumps her for rita, and wonder if the firemen are gonna find the bloody slides hiding in his air conditioner when that happens...

Great episode! He set up Doakes there pretty darn good - most enjoyable to watch!!!

Lyla definitely was 'Burning Down the House'.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Mrs McClane on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:15 am

It was a good episode (hello all btw)

It looked to me like Dexter knew her plan though. The way he looked at the fixed light, I think he realised that she had burnt down her place to get him back there, away from Rita! She's a sly one but then so is he.

Yippe Ki Yay Motherf***er!
Mrs McClane
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:16 am

Mrs McClane wrote:It was a good episode (hello all btw)

It looked to me like Dexter knew her plan though. The way he looked at the fixed light, I think he realised that she had burnt down her place to get him back there, away from Rita! She's a sly one but then so is he.

Yeh, he definitely knew something was up. I always said that Lyla would be more toruble for him than a good influence. Still, she's very very hot though.
Another great episode, I love the Deb/Lundy stuff this week and I'm glad Deb got the kiss out of the way, now they can forget about that and get back to the father/daughterrelationship. There's no way Doakes will give up on Dex even if he's been suspended in fact I'd say Dexter just made him even more determined and dangerous.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:19 am

TonyWilson wrote:There's no way Doakes will give up on Dex even if he's been suspended in fact I'd say Dexter just made him even more determined and dangerous.

It was a brilliant manipulation though - I love it when Dex shows he's just a stone cold sociopath... except he's not entirely now, and he's just added more human connections with Lyla. She's a crazy woman - and if that's what she's capable of just to get Dex's attention, when she wants it, imagine what she might do (or burn down) if she's really pissed off.

I guess we've always known that Dexter sees himself and his sister in Rita's kids, never more so than in those short touching scenes with Cody in this episode, and that's part of the reason he chose her - that, and her apparently low libido after years with an abusive husband. It's a strong identification that he has, and so any threat to Rita he will respond to as if it were to his own mother, in a way.

If you were as angry and hell-bent upon revenge as Doakes must be now, the women in his life would be the points at which you would get to him. Dexter better pin the bay Area butcher murders on Doakes sooner rather than later.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 am

tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:There's no way Doakes will give up on Dex even if he's been suspended in fact I'd say Dexter just made him even more determined and dangerous.

It was a brilliant manipulation though - I love it when Dex shows he's just a stone cold sociopath... except he's not entirely now, and he's just added more human connections with Lyla. She's a crazy woman - and if that's what she's capable of just to get Dex's attention, when she wants it, imagine what she might do (or burn down) if she's really pissed off.

I guess we've always known that Dexter sees himself and his sister in Rita's kids, never more so than in those short touching scenes with Cody in this episode, and that's part of the reason he chose her - that, and her apparently low libido after years with an abusive husband. It's a strong identification that he has, and so any threat to Rita he will respond to as if it were to his own mother, in a way.

If you were as angry and hell-bent upon revenge as Doakes must be now, the women in his life would be the points at which you would get to him. Dexter better pin the bay Area butcher murders on Doakes sooner rather than later.

Agreed on all points but one there. See I think that Dexter's realtionship with Lyla is not, in fact, really beneficial in a meaningful way. It's not helping him to stop killing and lead a normal life it's providing reasons as to why he does what he does and how to channel his feelings but it's not stopped him wanting to kill. And for Dexter the realtionship is totally about him and his problems he doesn't see Lyla as a real person anymore than he sees anyone else that way. He's not interested in her, he doesn't care about how screwed up she is inside it's all about sorting himself out.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:31 am

I never got the impression that sex was important to him at all before Lyla - in the second to last ep, and this one just gone - he's clearly getting right into it. That's part of a normal human's experience, I think - the release and contentment, however brief, that it brings. I'm under the impression that's something new fro Dexter, and it's a significant change in his life. So I agree, it's not so much Lyla maybe, but it's definitely the fucking.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby instant_karma on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:06 am

Anyone think the Dexter could become so comfortable with Lyla that he ends up confiding in her about his true nature, in the mistaken belief that her attraction to darkness and illicit behaviour means that she can accept who he is?

I think there's a chance this could happen, only for Dexter to have misjudged how much she can accept, leaving him in a very difficult situation.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am

instant_karma wrote:Anyone think the Dexter could become so comfortable with Lyla that he ends up confiding in her about his true nature, in the mistaken belief that her attraction to darkness and illicit behaviour means that she can accept who he is?

I think there's a chance this could happen, only for Dexter to have misjudged how much she can accept, leaving him in a very difficult situation.

i was beginning to think that, up until the last episode. dex seems to be getting to a point where he's more accepting of himself, and might start to think this other person capable of accepting him too.

but after her latest pyro episode, i actually think, if dex does confide in her, that she won't necessarily react negatively to it automatically. however, i can see her using it against him at some point when he's done something to piss her off... like leaving her for rita.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:00 pm

The question I keep askign is what is Lyla getting out of Dexter?

She was immediately into him, but why?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:53 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
but after her latest pyro episode, i actually think, if dex does confide in her, that she won't necessarily react negatively to it automatically. however, i can see her using it against him at some point when he's done something to piss her off... like leaving her for rita.

Good theory - I can definitely can see this happening.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 pm

Holy crappa... the Dino, he remembers that a there was a some a grumbling about a the fact that a the writers, they were gonna to go "offa script" anna make uppa the storyline this season, no? As opposed a to going from a what's inna the books...

So far, it has a been a the good move, no? Holy crappa I wanna to see more of a the Doakes', how you say? "freak out", no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:30 pm

i'm actually reading the first book now. i just can't get me enough dexter right now. don't know how the 2nd book differs, but without a doubt, this season has been excellent, and better than the first. so the decision to take the show in a different direction definitely panned out.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 am

So Doakes' dad was a "butcher" eh? red herring much ;)?

I don't think Lundy really thinks it is Dexter at this point. I think he believe Dexter looked past some stuff for Doakes though. Doakes getting the blood samples last night was great but will definitely lead to his demise.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 am

yes, like everything else doakes has done this season, finding and taking the blood samples will backfire. that will end up being the incriminating evidence that links him to the killings. he ain't very smart, is he? dexter will probably be pissed at losing his mementos, though.

i can't wait to see lila to meet The Monster.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:47 am

TheBaxter wrote:yes, like everything else doakes has done this season, finding and taking the blood samples will backfire. that will end up being the incriminating evidence that links him to the killings. he ain't very smart, is he? dexter will probably be pissed at losing his mementos, though.

That would be awesome. Lila is one crazy ho' though eh?

What about Lundy and Debs date?

Wash your hands! ;) Between that and the spanking I laughed my ass off. I still don't like them as a couple, however.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:14 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:ye s, like everything else doakes has done this season, finding and taking the blood samples will backfire. that will end up being the incriminating evidence that links him to the killings. he ain't very smart, is he? dexter will probably be pissed at losing his mementos, though.

That would be awesome. Lila is one crazy ho' though eh?

What about Lundy and Debs date?

Wash your hands! ;) Between that and the spanking I laughed my ass off. I still don't like them as a couple, however.

their date was probably the creepiest scene ever, which for this show is saying something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:their date was probably the creepiest scene ever, which for this show is saying something.

I can't argue with that. That and Lundy quizzing Dex was just awkward as hell.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Their date was kinda cornball, cheesy. I felt like I had a stupid grin on my face as I watched them.

Other than that, Lyra is going to be a fatal attraction. Dex will go back to Rita and the kids - and Doakes - he may end up dead.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:39 pm

now that dexter has his groove back, i think he's going to be able to handle both lyla and doakes better than he has. i can sense him getting ready to get a bit more ruthless.

and how twisted is it that this has me rooting for the serial killer and against the cop who's trying to take him down?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:53 pm

TheBaxter wrote:and how twisted is it that this has me rooting for the serial killer and against the cop who's trying to take him down?

Thats how it's supposed to be ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:30 pm

That episode was hands down the best ep of the season. Everything was great, I loved Dexter with the chainsaw and him finally seeing through Lyla, now it's time to make Doakes pay!!!
TonyWilson

Postby Mrs McClane on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:38 pm

This show just keeps getting better and better with lots of twists and turns along the way. Loving this atm!

Crazy Lyla has finally met her match. She is so manipulative! Calling the man that killed his mother and telling him where Dexter would be is just insane!

Yippe Ki Yay Motherf***er!
Mrs McClane
GLIB

Postby papalazeru on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Woohoo. Old Dx is back. Awesome.

Doakes is certinly hotting up the action. I'm hoping that by the end of the third series Dex is on trial with a rather large fanbase who support him. I do want dex to pull a wobbly and go on a killing spree to not make him so nice. I think it could really bring out the chracter.

Goddam such a good 2nd series. Its going to be difficult to second guess.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:53 pm

Unlike Heroes... Dexter is consistently good from episode to episode. The last few have been fantastic.
I'm not convinced aggravating Doakes was EVER a good idea!!! Doakes hasnt done anything wrong so he doesnt fit into Dexters offing criteria. But he's found the motherload now, so will have to be dealt with.
And I'm convinced Lundy knows whats really going on - the first time Dexter introduced himself to Lundy he replied "I know who you are" - it was said in a meaningful way!
I doubt Lila will go quietly in the night - its a toss up who will be the bigger spanner in the works - Doakes or Lila.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 am

Maui wrote:Lyra is going to be a fatal attraction.

Lila, no? Freudian slip, eh? Hehehehe...

This show, she has a the dark sense of a the humor, eh? Anna nothing, she is a too off a limits, which a makes a the Dino surmise that a the Lila, she's a gonna to go after a the Rita's children, eh?

It's a 'cos of a them that a the Dexter, he keeps onna staying inna'volved with a the Rita...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Maui wrote:Lyra is going to be a fatal attraction.

Lila, no? Freudian slip, eh? Hehehehe...

Yeah, Golden Compass on the brain. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 pm

She's gonna burn some shit down, someone will be caught inside - maybe Rita's kids, and then, you know what Dexter will do. I cannot wait to see what happens with Doakes in the next episode.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:26 am

man, this show is kicking all kinds of unholy ass. i haven't seen a show on this kind of roll since i don't remember when.

despite all his rage, doakes is still just a rat in a cage!

sorry, i couldn't resist.

one thing occurred to me at the beginning. it's been mentioned before in this thread how dexter is always acting in what he thinks is his own best interest, that his sociopathic nature shows up in how he doesn't really care about anyone else. but in the last episode, he left the cut up body behind to protect rita and the kids. so he was doing something that was against his own self-interest, to protect someone else. in the end, it has seriously complicated things for him. is this the first time dexter has finally put someone else's well-being ahead of his own? what does that say about his character?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 am

I've just finished watching the latest episode- and I'm liking it as much as I ever have.

What struck me though, is how black and white (quite literally even) Rita's and Lyla's roles are. One's the angel, one's the demon. Maybe I wouldn't have minded Lyla having a few more sympathetic qualities.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I've just finished watching the latest episode- and I'm liking it as much as I ever have.

What struck me though, is how black and white (quite literally even) Rita's and Lyla's roles are. One's the angel, one's the demon. Maybe I wouldn't have minded Lyla having a few more sympathetic qualities.

She did seem to be more sympathetic in the beginning. Actually seeming to help Dex and such.

Good last episode. We all knew Doakes would be the one blamed, but I didnt expect him to show up at the boat at the end.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial