Dexter

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Dexter

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:57 am

TheBaxter wrote:i like the show, but i'm not as hooked as last year. that season just had incredible momentum. what i do like is how the show attacks a common themes from dexter's warped perspective, for instance, this season so far has been very much about fear of commitment, with dexter having a kid and getting married and seeing the prospect of losing his freedom and independence. what guy doesn't feel that way at some point? except in dexter's case, it's not a fear of having no more guys nights out, or having to give up his hobbies, but rather a fear of not being able to kill any more.

Thats a hobby too! :twisted:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am

John-Locke wrote:The problem with this show is that I only like the Dexter storyline, the supporting characters are poorly written and badly acted. Even Smits doesn't seem to get the tone right, his character is taking Dexter down an interesting path but again it only serves Dexter well.

I still like this show a lot but if they could find a way to have Deb, Batista, Laguerta and Rita leave I'd be very happy.

I realllllly want to agree with you. But every few episodes, there is something that makes it worth having them. (Case in point. Deb finding out that Dex is gonna be a father...Her short monologue to him is worth every moment of awkward stares and silly staging on her part)

Except Laguerta. I hope she follows Doakes this season. The gentleman.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 am

i actually think laguerta has gotten better. she was incredibly annoying the first season, they toned her down and she's more tolerable now. she hasn't really been very involved in this season anyway, except for giving that defense attorney evidence to overthrow prado's conviction of an innocent man. speaking of, now that dexter and prado are "partners" i'm pretty sure we'll see that innocent guy prado convicted go free, and prado will then go to dexter to take him out. which will lead to either a) dexter killing an innocent guy, then finding out he's innocent, or b) dexter investigating him and finding out he's innocent first, and then refusing to kill him, causing a rift between him and prado. either way could lead to some interesting stuff.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 am

I dunno, Prado said to Laguerta that it didn't matter if the guy was innocent for that crime as he was guilty of many others that they couldn't pin on him, I think Dexter would see it the same way as Prado
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby judderman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 am

Anyone else not really liking this whole quasi-homosexual adoration thing that Prado's got going for Dex? Yes, it's cringeingly ironic that he thinks that Dexter is the avenger of his brother's death when in fact Dexter is the one who killed him, but I think they're taking it too far. Note to Prado: this ass kissing is demeaning. Get a woman, get a room or get a life.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 pm

i'm still digging the show, but i'm still having trouble buying how easily dexter is coming to trust prado. i don't think the writers have really done enough to establish why he would put himself at such risk to trust him, especially since every other person who has found out what he is has reacted with either disgust (his father, doakes) or dangerous obsession that put dexter at risk (lila). i know they have tried to establish it as something where dexter is searching for validation and acceptance and friendship, and he's finding it in prado, but it's still too close to the lila story from last time, and they haven't really made it totally convincing. it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the show, it's just a little nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

dexter has gotta be a really hard character to write, and maybe that's showing this season. it's hard to do development on a character who supposedly doesn't have human emotions and his cold, heartless, calculating. take him in one direction and you make him too unsympathetic, take him in the other direction and you start having a Star Trek spock/data thing about him discovering his humanity, which is too cliche.

anyway, the last episode had my favorite quote of the year so far:
"how much caffeine have you had?"
"a metric fuck-ton!"

also, is there any doubt that deb's CI is the skinner?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby judderman on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:53 pm

The only thing keeping me from thinking that the CI is the Skinner is that it's simply too obvious. Plus, how many serial killers can one woman fall for?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:50 pm

This weeks Ep was another incredible sight to watch.

The devil certainly does wear Prado.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby judderman on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 pm

I think that if Dexter has a moral, it's that evil can never be fully controlled. Despite what his brother and Lila have shown him, Dexter still hasn't figured that out. However much Dexter may exert control over himself, he cannot exert the same control on others. And he can't even control himself all the time.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 pm

i definitely like the unpredictability of this season. and yeah, i guess the CI guy wasn't the skinner after all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby judderman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 am

We still don't know that. The CI could have faked his own abduction.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:57 am

Dexter outlined to Miguel how his brother (Oscar, that is) died at the hands of 'Freebo' . A single wound to the aorta, which as I think he told him was either very lucky or very skilled.

And Miguel just offed someone in the very same manner.

It wont be long before he puts it all together - Dexter was gonna do Freebo and killed Oscar by mistake, but will he forgive Dexter or prepare a kill room for him? Or get Ramon to squirt soda up his nose... which was hilarious by the way!!!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 am

Brit Pop wrote:Dexter outlined to Miguel how his brother (Oscar, that is) died at the hands of 'Freebo' . A single wound to the aorta, which as I think he told him was either very lucky or very skilled.

And Miguel just offed someone in the very same manner.

It wont be long before he puts it all together - Dexter was gonna do Freebo and killed Oscar by mistake, but will he forgive Dexter or prepare a kill room for him? Or get Ramon to squirt soda up his nose... which was hilarious by the way!!!

judging by the last scene, prado will be too busy using his newfound skills on that defense attorney chick.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Was anyone else surprised when the Attorney chick started hitting on the Bar man? I was certain she was heading for a lesbian affair with Laguerta
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm

John-Locke wrote:Was anyone else surprised when the Attorney chick started hitting on the Bar man? I was certain she was heading for a lesbian affair with Laguerta

yes.

but maybe she was just setting him up for a 3some.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Man I like the plot of this season, but the writing has been terrible. If I see one more gauzey scene between Dexter and his dad, I am going to puke. ENOUGH ALREADY. That shit worked when we were looking at Dexter's past, but now it's just lazy and pointless, and frankly insulting to the audience because all they do is belabor points and dilemmas we are already aware of. And how ridiculously stupid and juvenile has Deb become? It took her a whole day to think to check on her CI when in the very last episode they floated info that he knew something about Freebo? Christ. It's fucking amateur hour. Then that last shot. "THE TREE IS TRIMMED ONOES!" I haven't seen such terrifying tree footage since last Summers, The Happening!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:41 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Man I like the plot of this season, but the writing has been terrible. If I see one more gauzey scene between Dexter and his dad, I am going to puke. ENOUGH ALREADY. That shit worked when we were looking at Dexter's past, but now it's just lazy and pointless, and frankly insulting to the audience because all they do is belabor points and dilemmas we are already aware of. And how ridiculously stupid and juvenile has Deb become? It took her a whole day to think to check on her CI when in the very last episode they floated info that he knew something about Freebo? Christ. It's fucking amateur hour. Then that last shot. "THE TREE IS TRIMMED ONOES!" I haven't seen such terrifying tree footage since last Summers, The Happening!

good points. maybe in the next episode, deb will try to talk to the tree.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

HAhahaha
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm

the more i think about it, the more annoyed i am with the dexter/daddy scenes. those have been bugging me, but burl gave form to my inchoate thoughts. the past couple seasons, they were used very sparingly, and only as flashbacks to show us dexter's past, but now they're used in every episode as a psychological mirror into dexter's psyche.... ummmm, isn't that what the CONSTANT VOICEOVERS are for? maybe next season, in addition to the voiceovers and imaginary talks with dad, they'll add dream sequences and a narrator so we can get stuff explained to us in four different ways.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:19 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the more i think about it, the more annoyed i am with the dexter/daddy scenes. those have been bugging me, but burl gave form to my inchoate thoughts. the past couple seasons, they were used very sparingly, and only as flashbacks to show us dexter's past, but now they're used in every episode as a psychological mirror into dexter's psyche.... ummmm, isn't that what the CONSTANT VOICEOVERS are for? maybe next season, in addition to the voiceovers and imaginary talks with dad, they'll add dream sequences and a narrator so we can get stuff explained to us in four different ways.

I am hoping for a Greek chorus too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm

John-Locke wrote:Was anyone else surprised when the Attorney chick started hitting on the Bar man? I was certain she was heading for a lesbian affair with Laguerta

Word. The writers must be screwing with us though. They're lulling us into complacency so they can lay a huge dyking-out scene on us when we least expect it.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:12 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:

Word. The writers must be screwing with us though. They're lulling us into complacency so they can lay a huge dyking-out scene on us when we least expect it.

If there is gonna be a dyke-plugging scene... I definitely DONT want to see it now!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Brit Pop wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:

If there is gonna be a dyke-plugging scene... I definitely DONT want to see it now!

Yeah, Keerist. My PVR cut off the last five minutes of last week's episode, so I didn't even know Miguel had paid Ellen a visit when I made that comment.

Laguerta was REALLY broken up about the murder though. Like no, I mean REALLY broken up. Ellen was more than just someone she had scotch with a few times. And refresh my memory but, we've never seen Maria with a man, have we? She went out with Doakes in the distant past, but they became good friends afterward, so obviously there wasn't a nasty break-up. They must have mutually realized that there wasn't any chemistry there, even if Maria didn't fully understand it was because James had the wrong genitals.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:

Yeah, Keerist. My PVR cut off the last five minutes of last week's episode, so I didn't even know Miguel had paid Ellen a visit when I made that comment.

Laguerta was REALLY broken up about the murder though. Like no, I mean REALLY broken up. Ellen was more than just someone she had scotch with a few times. And refresh my memory but, we've never seen Maria with a man, have we? She went out with Doakes in the distant past, but they became good friends afterward, so obviously there wasn't a nasty break-up. They must have mutually realized that there wasn't any chemistry there, even if Maria didn't fully understand it was because James had the wrong genitals.

In the last season, a new woman was put in charge of the department, but she was having loads of trouble with her man which made her go crazy... and it was Laguerta who was sleeping with her man as a deliberate ploy to get her job back.

And instead of dear old dad giving Dexter advice in etherial soft focus scenes... lets have Doakes instead...

[Dexter walks away from Miguel... worried he is being played]

[Doakes appears next to him]

"You've fucked up now motherfucker!!!"
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 pm

It was hinted at in the first season, and more detailed in the first book, that LaGuerta had a thing for Dexter of all people.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:44 am

Brit Pop wrote:And instead of dear old dad giving Dexter advice in etherial soft focus scenes... lets have Doakes instead...

[Dexter walks away from Miguel... worried he is being played]

[Doakes appears next to him]

"You've fucked up now motherfucker!!!"

that would be awesome. make it so, Number One!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Dexter, not with 100% more hate.....I can't wait to see what these two plot against each other under the guise of 'friendship'.

Man, this is gong to be good.

papalazeru

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Brit Pop wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:

In the last season, a new woman was put in charge of the department, but she was having loads of trouble with her man which made her go crazy... and it was Laguerta who was sleeping with her man as a deliberate ploy to get her job back.

Oh, yes. Of course.

But like you say, she was just using that dude to mess with the Lieu. We haven't seen Laguerta really into a dude the way Angel's into his chick from Vice, or the way Debra was into the Ice Truck Killer.

burlivesleftnut wrote:It was hinted at in the first season, and more detailed in the first book, that LaGuerta had a thing for Dexter of all people.

I forgot about that, too. But apparently, so has the show. The writers must have devised a clever plan after the first half of Season One had already been filmed to give Maria a huge lesbian storyline down the road. Now we're finally seeing it come into sweet, sweet fruition.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 am

seems more like a necrophilia storyline down the road.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:54 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:The writers must have devised a clever plan after the first half of Season One had already been filmed to give Maria a huge lesbian storyline down the road. Now we're finally seeing it come into sweet, sweet fruition.

No fair. I wanted to see the licky licky. They show nakedness all the time, how about some Lesbo action?

papalazeru

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:25 pm

We WILL see one of the following...

Miguel on a table in a kill room... Dexter standing over him with a picture of Ellen Wolf.

Or..

Dexter on a table in a kill room... Miguel standing over him with a picture of Oscar Prado.

Even if this happens, it wont be cut and dried... as it has been for many of Dex's subjects...

I think Dex getting shrink wrapped will be more likely just for audience voy-tisfaction.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Brit Pop wrote:We WILL see one of the following...

Miguel on a table in a kill room... Dexter standing over him with a picture of Ellen Wolf.

Or..

Dexter on a table in a kill room... Miguel standing over him with a picture of Oscar Prado.

Even if this happens, it wont be cut and dried... as it has been for many of Dex's subjects...

I think Dex getting shrink wrapped will be more likely just for audience voy-tisfaction.

Wow! Both would be excellent but better if Dex ends up on the slab.

I would love to see a bit more of a Dr Frankenstein relationship with Dex and Prado.

I'd like to see that they both realise that they killed innocent people and both go on their way to kill in their seperate fashion and you end up having like a Morarty/Holmes situation whereby in the following series they try to catch each other out with evidence.

I know they like to end the storylines but I'd like that one to carry on.

Maybe Dex leaves the Skinner to kill Oscar? Maybe that's his crime and then he kills the Skinner. There's too many variables to predict. And, there's more story to Debs partner than meets the eye I'm sure of it, that story hasn't gone far enough.

papalazeru

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Ohmigosh - the game just cranked up a fair few notches... although I cant believe Dexter would be taken that easily,

I mean, he did advanced ju-jitsu at college and bested Doakes on one and a half occasions, the skinner is a wiry old tree dude.

But Miguel is one nasty piece of paella, one who will get his in the end.

This season is shaping up great... its just a shame Rita in the most annoying TV character since Lana.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:31 pm

that was an awesome episode, best of the season. loved the cat and mouse game between dex and prado. i also really like how they've tied all the various threads together, the skinner, deb's relationship with the CI, laguerta's former relationship with prado, etc. all those seemingly unrelated storylines really came together and now we can see how the show was laying the groundwork early on for where it was headed. that's some clever writing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Definitely the best episode of the season yet, not only due to the bringing together of various story threads but because of the good work of Director John Dahl.

I'm guessing Dexter will manage to frame the Skinner for Prado's murder after he's disposed of the Skinner body. No way is Dexter going out like that.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby judderman on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 am

Brit Pop wrote:Ohmigosh - the game just cranked up a fair few notches... although I cant believe Dexter would be taken that easily,

I mean, he did advanced ju-jitsu at college and bested Doakes on one and a half occasions, the skinner is a wiry old tree dude.

But Miguel is one nasty piece of paella, one who will get his in the end.

This season is shaping up great... its just a shame Rita in the most annoying TV character since Lana.

Yeah, you said it. Kinda shattered my illusions that Dexter was somehow superhuman.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby instant_karma on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 am

I kind of dont want Miguel to be dead at the end of this season. Smits has been so good that I would totally like to see him and Dexter clash again in some future season.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby MacCready on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm

instant_karma wrote:I kind of dont want Miguel to be dead at the end of this season. Smits has been so good that I would totally like to see him and Dexter clash again in some future season.

Seconded.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:29 am

PSYCHE! Good episode, but, again, too many DAD-backs. Bummed that Prado is gone... Smits was fucking awesome in the role. Even his last scenes were well acted and intriguing. Maybe he will get a best supporting actor nod at the Emmy's or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am

Its a shame the season is only 12 episodes long... they have got an absolute PANTLOAD of stuff to fit in next week.

I doubt any stuff will be carried over as Dexter seasons generally wrap stuff up quite neatly (no pun intended).

Although the miserable life of Deborah Morgan is set to get a whole lot miserabler...

Now she is looking into Harry's old CI's, she will probably realise Laura Moser was the one that he was banging, and then find out she had a son called Brian Moser... eeeeeewww gross!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:49 pm

@ the first 2 minutes of this weeks episode.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

didn't see that coming. Wonderful

As for the rest of the episode, it was incredible. I loved the cliché desaturation in colour and the change in tone in the music at the end scene.

Miguel died far too soon. He was too good a character to waste in one series

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 pm

as finales go, last night's was a bit anticlimactic. once dexter killed prado, there wasn't much left to pay off. i liked his scenes with ramon, and i think ramon could possibly help fill the doakes role in the future. i also liked his brief exchange with the skinner, but it was too brief, if they'd had him caught by the skinner in the previous episode, they could've drawn it out longer and made it more dramatic. all in all, still a good season, but it felt like the finale was more of an unnecessary coda and the true finale was last week's episode.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby judderman on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:55 pm

It wasn't a finale so much as a season 4 preview. We get Deb on the trail of Dad's CI/lover (read: She's gonna learn that Dexter was Rudy's brother). We get some hints that Rita's ex ex is a very very bad man (read: he's coming back) and that Ramon really has issues (read: he's going to be next year's Doakes). Other than that, not much to say.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Uh, I was left with the impression that Ramone was defeated in his final scene. Instead of pursuing his dead brother's interest, Ramone was now free to be the father he wanted to be. In fact, Dexter told me so with a voice over. I am sure you guys would have caught it too had there been a dream-state convo with Dex's dad also.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:37 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Uh, I was left with the impression that Ramone was defeated in his final scene. Instead of pursuing his dead brother's interest, Ramone was now free to be the father he wanted to be. In fact, Dexter told me so with a voice over. I am sure you guys would have caught it too had there been a dream-state convo with Dex's dad also.

yeah, but he can still hound dexter in his dream sequences... with a greek chorus of doakeses to back him up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby instant_karma on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 am

judderman wrote:It wasn't a finale so much as a season 4 preview. We get Deb on the trail of Dad's CI/lover (read: She's gonna learn that Dexter was Rudy's brother). We get some hints that Rita's ex ex is a very very bad man (read: he's coming back) and that Ramon really has issues (read: he's going to be next year's Doakes). Other than that, not much to say.

I think Deb could turn out to be a real threat to Dexter within the next couple of seasons. This last season, they've shown her really developing as a detective. She pretty much cracked every detail of the Skinner case and I think this is because they want to make it plausible that she could start to put things together about Dexter, now that she's more confident about trusting her hunches.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:33 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Uh, I was left with the impression that Ramone was defeated in his final scene. Instead of pursuing his dead brother's interest, Ramone was now free to be the father he wanted to be.

Yup! Definitely some resolve there for ole hothead Ramone.

A predictable season, 1 and 2 were better, still one of the best shows on TV.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 pm

i just got done re-watching season 1 on blu-ray. someone refresh my memory, because i may have spotted a major continuity fuck-up.
in season 1, the ice truck killer kills dexter's natural father. when dexter goes to check the guy out, he sneaks into the morgue and takes a blood sample of the dead guy, which he sends back along with his own to do a dna check to see if the guy is really his father, and it comes back positive.
now, if i remember correctly, in season 3 we find out daddy morgan was fucking dexter's natural mommy, and i believe they implied that he was dexter's real father. if so, then why did the season 1 dead guy's dna match dexter's? unless i'm getting it wrong about them implying daddy morgan was dexter's real dad, but it certainly seemed that way.

btw, the dexter season 1 bluray is fubar. the lack of a michael c hall commentary is disappointing, but worse is that most of the special features are BD-Live, and when i tried to access them all i got was a "coming soon" message. i have a PS3 and it's BD-Live capable, so it's not the disks. i CAN get to the first episode of season 2 (not season 3, like it says on the box) but the other special features are missing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nancy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 am

I love this show. It's my favorite all time tv show. Every season feels better, tighter, smarter than the last. It's really nice just to watch Michael C Hall not be repressed.

I catch up on most of the previous episodes on internet tv.
Nancy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial