Dexter

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm

BAH, double post, please delete this.
Last edited by Fawst on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:26 pm

John-Locke wrote:Dexter has signed Keith Carradine to play an FBI agent in its second season; he'll appear in 11 of the 12 episodes scheduled for the fall. His character will come into contact with Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) when the FBI descends on Miami to probe a rash of dead bodies turning up in the city.

Oh SHIT! That sounds VERY much like they are going to continue down the path they started, using the book for the template of the season and fleshing it out to fit a weekly series format.

*MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE PLOTS OF THE SECOND BOOK*

In the first book, Dexter only kills two people that I can remember: a Priest in the opening (which is where the opening of the pilot episode comes from), and an almost-botched kill of a man he believes kidnaps and murders children. The series obviously expands on that QUITE a bit, fitting a murder per episode if I'm not mistaken. SUPER SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2... LAST CHANCE TO TURN BACK... In Dearly Devoted Dexter, Doakes is watching Dexter like a hawk (much like the end of Season 1 sets up). Dexter turns his relationship with Rita up to 11 to throw Doakes off his scent. The grisly murder (which isn't technically a murder) that sets the course of the story is a man whose limbs, lips, tongue and eyelids have been removed and is laying on a kitchen table with a mirror angeld toward him so he has no choice but to stare at his deformed body. Doakes has a history with the man who did it, and an FBI agent, Chutsky (who Doakes also has a history with), is sent in to track the psycho down. I'm guessing that Keith Carradine has been cast as Chutsky.

I won't go into any more detail, becuause the story is good. Damn good. I think it beats out the first book, and it CERTAINLY puts the ending of the first book to shame. That was a dropped ball of epic proportions. One minute, the climax is happening with the killer, his victim, and Dexter all in a room. The next, they've moved on to a completely different scene with zero explanation of how Dexter gets out of it. Blah.

Anyways, I'm so psyched about this, the show really does take a great story and make it work in a serial format.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Fawst wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Dexter has signed Keith Carradine to play an FBI agent in its second season; he'll appear in 11 of the 12 episodes scheduled for the fall. His character will come into contact with Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) when the FBI descends on Miami to probe a rash of dead bodies turning up in the city.

Oh SHIT! That sounds VERY much like they are going to continue down the path they started, using the book for the template of the season and fleshing it out to fit a weekly series format.

*MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE PLOTS OF THE SECOND BOOK*

In the first book, Dexter only kills two people that I can remember: a Priest in the opening (which is where the opening of the pilot episode comes from), and an almost-botched kill of a man he believes kidnaps and murders children. The series obviously expands on that QUITE a bit, fitting a murder per episode if I'm not mistaken. SUPER SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2... LAST CHANCE TO TURN BACK... In Dearly Devoted Dexter, Doakes is watching Dexter like a hawk (much like the end of Season 1 sets up). Dexter turns his relationship with Rita up to 11 to throw Doakes off his scent. The grisly murder (which isn't technically a murder) that sets the course of the story is a man whose limbs, lips, tongue and eyelids have been removed and is laying on a kitchen table with a mirror angeld toward him so he has no choice but to stare at his deformed body. Doakes has a history with the man who did it, and an FBI agent, Chutsky (who Doakes also has a history with), is sent in to track the psycho down. I'm guessing that Keith Carradine has been cast as Chutsky.

I won't go into any more detail, becuause the story is good. Damn good. I think it beats out the first book, and it CERTAINLY puts the ending of the first book to shame. That was a dropped ball of epic proportions. One minute, the climax is happening with the killer, his victim, and Dexter all in a room. The next, they've moved on to a completely different scene with zero explanation of how Dexter gets out of it. Blah.

Anyways, I'm so psyched about this, the show really does take a great story and make it work in a serial format.

I hope they keep following with the books as I am told they are all quite good. I plan to get to them at some point.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Well it's funny, people said not to read the book before watching the end of Season 1 as it gave away the ending. Ironically, I think it would have worked better having read the book first. They add so much stuff to the show that isn't even CLOSE to being in the book. In fact, they even took a few things out of the book when they made the show. There is one key death not included in the show, and vice versa. Personally, I feel that the show is a far more fleshed out version of the story. They take a few concepts and ideas from the second book and use them in the first season. Regardless, the show is fabulous to me and I can't wait to get home to check out this preview.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Fawst wrote:Well it's funny, people said not to read the book before watching the end of Season 1 as it gave away the ending. Ironically, I think it would have worked better having read the book first. They add so much stuff to the show that isn't even CLOSE to being in the book. In fact, they even took a few things out of the book when they made the show. There is one key death not included in the show, and vice versa. Personally, I feel that the show is a far more fleshed out version of the story. They take a few concepts and ideas from the second book and use them in the first season. Regardless, the show is fabulous to me and I can't wait to get home to check out this preview.

Don't get your hopes up too high. It's just a minute teaser thing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Quiet Storm on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:52 pm

I just watched the Pre Air first episode of Season 2. God damn I love this show. I wish I didn't have to wait weeks to see the second episode. It picks up 4 weeks after the last season finale. Dokes is still following Dexter relentlessly, to the point where Dex is fiending to kill something but can't since Dokes doesn't seem to have a life (well I guess not since the girl he was having an affair with was killed last season).

Dex goes though a life change, that I won't spoil. But the second season is all original, it doesn't follow any of the Dexter books. I will spoil one thing

Dex underwater grave is discovered accidently by treasure hunters. The coast guard and police pull over thirty trashbags filled with bodies. Dex sister is excited that she has a new mass murderer to go after. Dex is understandably less excited.
End of spoilers
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:24 am

The second Episode has been leaked too, I'm hoping to be able to watch them both tonight.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Quiet Storm on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:56 am

I just heard. Counting down the minutes until I can race home. I can't wait for the 1st season DVD. If I don't support this show I am scared Showtime will "Dead Like Me" it.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:51 pm

I also just noticed the Dexter Season 2 pre-air leaked episodes - how the hell does that work??? Its supposed to air in October so how the bloody nora do two tv quality eps make it onto the net?
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, I'm more than disappointed in the fact that it doesn't follow Dearly Devoted Dexter, but this sounds like a great plot.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Quiet Storm on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 pm

The second episode could be titled, "How Dexter Got His Groove Back." I am now in agony with having to wait so long to see the 3rd episode. You people who don't download or get screeners are very lucky.

Since I have no new Dex, I tried to show my wife who is a big time Dexter fan, the great movie, American Psycho, and she just hated it. I was so disappointed and I am sure Dex would be too.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 pm

That's funny you mention American Psycho, cuz I have recently gotten a friend of mine into Dexter. She enjoys it, and she has never seen American Psycho. I plan on bringing that over some night this week to show her. I think the main difference there is the fact that Dexter is actually a likable -- I almost said human being. He fakes likability. Bateman was just... off.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:59 pm

Fawst wrote:Ok, I'm more than disappointed in the fact that it doesn't follow Dearly Devoted Dexter, but this sounds like a great plot.

Yeah, the fact that the first two eps show Dexter's life coming unhinged after he so carefully controlled everything in the first season was pretty cool. He's lucky the Sasquatch guy didn't kill him!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Season One DVDs

Postby yaz67 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:27 pm

I'll start off by saying that I have never payed for cable movie channels. Only access is through purchase or rentals or friends.

Just finished first season of Dexter. I really enjoyed it. Really interested in seeing where they go in season 2.

Season One was finished the way I like. No cliffhangers. And one of the funniest endings to a season finale ever.

All around very well acted, with the actress that plays Dexter's girlfriend really standing out.

8.5 out of 10

As a side note. Did anybody else notice that has viewed the Dexter DVD set, the forced Showtime promo that runs when you first put in each DVD? The picture quality of the promo is horrendous. I thought the DVDs were screwed up, but once the menu comes up everthing looks fine and the episode transfers look excellent on my projector. Just curious. Not a good way to advertise I would think.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:00 am

I do believe tonight's the night - season premiere!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Maui wrote:I do believe tonight's the night - season premiere!!

Yeah. It's a decent episode.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:29 pm

glad to have this back, i've avoided the thread to keep away from spoilers since i know other people have been seeing this somewhere else.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Karl Hungus on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Definetly looking forward to seeing the new series, but aswell as that, the new book "Dexter in the Dark" by Jeff Lindsay.

Has anyone else read the books the show is based on? Truly captivating, fantastic stuff, and well worth a look if you're a fan of the show, because the second book is very different to the series, it's quite fantastic.
Karl Hungus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fawst on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:34 pm

I think Season 1 did a better job overall than Book 1, however they butchered it in places. For instance MEGA BOOK SPOILER, READ AT ONE'S OWN PERIL his brother got away in the end of Book 1, and LaGuerta died. And his sis had him pegged for what he truly is! No way they can ever go back to that now in the show, at least, two thirds of that. But that's ok. Oh, and END MEGA SPOILER.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm really kinda upset that they aren't going with Dearly Devoted Dexter's storyline. They obviously kept SOME of it intact, but it's pretty obvious that they also dropped the major portion of the story. Unless they're just not showing us their full hand yet...

Can't wait to read Dexter in the Dark, isn't that out yet in hardcover?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Karl Hungus on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Fawst wrote:I think Season 1 did a better job overall than Book 1, however they butchered it in places. For instance MEGA BOOK SPOILER, READ AT ONE'S OWN PERIL his brother got away in the end of Book 1, and LaGuerta died. And his sis had him pegged for what he truly is! No way they can ever go back to that now in the show, at least, two thirds of that. But that's ok. Oh, and END MEGA SPOILER.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm really kinda upset that they aren't going with Dearly Devoted Dexter's storyline. They obviously kept SOME of it intact, but it's pretty obvious that they also dropped the major portion of the story. Unless they're just not showing us their full hand yet...

Can't wait to read Dexter in the Dark, isn't that out yet in hardcover?

I think the differences between the book at the series are a very good thing, and I wouldn't call it 'Butchered' at all. It's just different. I mean, that way we have more Dexter, more suprises, and reading the first book it all doesn't happen the way you expect, so the way I look at it, I'm getting twice the bang for my book, if you'll pardon the pun.

I think the hardcover Dexter in the Dark is out very soon, early october, so we've not got too long to wait.
Karl Hungus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Is Little Chino a relative of Andre the Giant?

Good season premiere I thought.

Underwater graveyard - very eerie!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I just won season 1 on DVD!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I just won season 1 on DVD!

You did??? Lucky dog!

This season, so far, is proving to be quite good. Another great episode last night. I like how the FBI have joined forces to catch the Bay Area serial killer. I find that amusing, since I live in the Bay Area (SF). Kinda eerie, actually. :shock:

Doakes is such a jerk, I'm glad that FBI guy put him in his place, that was a great moment indeed.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Yeah it was another solid episode last night.

It almost feels like Dex wants to be caught!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Yeah it was another solid episode last night.

Yeah, did you see his almost intrigued/fascinated look as he watched the underwater burial clips on the TV. It really wasn't an "OMG" moment, it was a "YEAH" let's play!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Yeah it was another solid episode last night.

Yeah, did you see his almost intrigued/fascinated look as he watched the underwater burial clips on the TV. It really wasn't an "OMG" moment, it was a "YEAH" let's play!!!

I think it's an interesting spin that he is the "big bad" this season.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:44 pm

I'm sensing a potential fling between new FBI guy and Dexter's sister...maybe?

As well, looks like there will be a new gal in Dexter's life - from the upcoming clips they have shown.

Good season indeed!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Maui wrote:I'm sensing a potential fling between new FBI guy and Dexter's sister...maybe?

That would be similiar to her thing with ITK last season. Having her lover be Dexters adversary, that is.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:56 am

Oh man, did I laugh at the end of this one.

When Doakes enters the addicts R us group - tells Dex he finally understands, then Dexter claps (along with the group, only with more exuberance). hahahahha
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:02 am

Maui wrote:Oh man, did I laugh at the end of this one.

When Doakes enters the addicts R us group - tells Dex he finally understands, then Dexter claps (along with the group, only with more exuberance). hahahahha

That was funny and this one was too.

"... and I need duct tape. Three or four rolls. Running low on heavy-duty trash bags. When's the last time I sharpened my knives?"

It was cool the addicts thing got Doakes off his case.

I sort of want Deb to be the one that catches Dexter and figures him out.

What do people think of Lyla Dexter's sponsor? She looks like one of the main characters from the BBC show Hustle. Also, the Rita's reaction to noticing Dexter's sponsor was awesome.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:24 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

What do people think of Lyla Dexter's sponsor? She looks like one of the main characters from the BBC show Hustle. Also, the Rita's reaction to noticing Dexter's sponsor was awesome.

Rita is just annoying to me. I think Lyla is cool. Hopefully there will be some sparks between her and Dexter.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:32 am

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Rita is just annoying to me. I think Lyla is cool. Hopefully there will be some sparks between her and Dexter.

Yeah I thought she was cool too seeing through his BS right away.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

She is definitely the more intriguing woman on the show and will spice up the episodes for sure.
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:42 pm

Oh I like Darla. I think hooking up Dexter with another woman is only going to complicate matters more for the lad, which might be fun, but I like the relationship as it stands now. And while Darla has been kind of annoying about this, it makes sense given her history. She loves Dexter and doesn't want to repeat mistakes she made in the past. Besides, she wouldn't even be on Dexter's case had he not been so careless.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:49 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh I like Darla. I think hooking up Dexter with another woman is only going to complicate matters more for the lad, which might be fun, but I like the relationship as it stands now. And while Darla has been kind of annoying about this, it makes sense given her history. She loves Dexter and doesn't want to repeat mistakes she made in the past. Besides, she wouldn't even be on Dexter's case had he not been so careless.

Yeah!!! Burl watches this show!

Yeah, I get her past relationships, etc. It's just her and Dexter are boring. Need some new steam on the show. Mix it up - make it more interesting. Like you said, make things more complicated for Dexter but I think we all would like to see that.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:05 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh I like Darla. I think hooking up Dexter with another woman is only going to complicate matters more for the lad, which might be fun, but I like the relationship as it stands now. And while Darla has been kind of annoying about this, it makes sense given her history. She loves Dexter and doesn't want to repeat mistakes she made in the past. Besides, she wouldn't even be on Dexter's case had he not been so careless.

I like Darla too, but without Doakes on his case itll add some nice spice.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 am

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

She is definitely the more intriguing woman on the show and will spice up the episodes for sure.

the new woman reminds me of helena bonham carter from fight club. i wonder if she's going to turn out to be a killer herself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:00 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
ster eosforgeeks wrote:

the new woman reminds me of helena bonham carter from fight club. i wonder if she's going to turn out to be a killer herself.

Yeah perhaps a wee bit - they both have british accents anyways.

Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:02 pm

this looks like her more
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 pm

What's that actor's name anyways? I've never seen her in anything before.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Maui wrote:What's that actor's name anyways? I've never seen her in anything before.

Jaime Murray. Shes in the BBC show Hustle.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:09 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:What's that actor's name anyways? I've never seen her in anything before.

Jaime Murray. Shes in the BBC show Hustle.

Merci beaucoup!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Doesn't she look like Lyla?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Doesn't she look like Lyla?

Drum Roll ---------------------------------------> ba dump bah!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Doesn't she look like Lyla?

Drum Roll ---------------------------------------> ba dump bah!

is that a yay or nay?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
ster eosforgeeks wrote:

and they both hang out in 12-step groups... i'm just saying, i don't think she's REALLY a heroin addict. i think there's something more going on there.

maybe she's dexter's long-lost sister?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
TheB axter wrote:
Maui wrote:
ster eosforgeeks wrote:

and they both hang out in 12-step groups... i'm just saying, i don't think she's REALLY a heroin addict. i think there's something more going on there.

maybe she's dexter's long-lost sister?

Well have you seen the trailer for the upcoming episode? She's in the dead body remains room with Dexter. I agree, something is slightly off, with her character.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Man I really dig the lyla dexter interactions.

Move over Rita here comes Lyla.

Something is definitely off with her. I hope she doesnt end up being a killer though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Shame on you, LT. Maria. I sure never saw that coming. I guess she really wanted that job afterall. :roll:

Debra and the FBI guy - I see some sparks there!

Rita's Mom is gonna cause trouble.

Masuka and his algae findings - better move that boat Dexter!!!

Lyla is off to say the very least - but she is allowing Dexter to come out of his shell. Just how much will he confide in her. Her craft supply shopping was hilarious.

I'm really diggin' Dexter this season - so far, fantastic, witty, dark episodes!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:42 pm

Maui wrote:Shame on you, LT. Maria. I sure never saw that coming. I guess she really wanted that job afterall. :roll:

Debra and the FBI guy - I see some sparks there!

Rita's Mom is gonna cause trouble.

Masuka and his algae findings - better move that boat Dexter!!!

Lyla is off to say the very least - but she is allowing Dexter to come out of his shell. Just how much will he confide in her. Her craft supply shopping was hilarious.

I'm really diggin' Dexter this season - so far, fantastic, witty, dark episodes!!!

I think it's better this season overall. So far anyway.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial