Coppolas 'The Conversation' to be turned into a TV Series?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Coppolas 'The Conversation' to be turned into a TV Series?

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:26 pm

Quint just posted this over at the main site Here

Now I am a massive fan of the original, it's right up there with Coppolas other masterpieces (Godfathers 1 & 2, Apocalypse Now, Jack ;) ) for me. It could work and as Quint suggests if they set it in the 70's (which I'll bet now they won't) it would be badass.

Reactions?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:56 pm

i've actually never seen the movie, but i'll have to make sure i watch it. it sounds like it could be a good idea for a tv show.

there's no way it will be set in the 70s though.
1) it would cost too much to make it period-specific
2) they wouldn't be able to do all the product placement and sponsot tie-ins that all tv show today are required to have
3) while fans of the movie might appreciate the 70s setting, the average viewer wouldn't, and might tune out instead
4) they wouldn't be able to reference terrorism, the patriot act, illegal NSA wire-tapping, etc etc that is going on today, which would make it more relevant for today

i really don't think setting it in the 70s would add much anyway. all the show needs to work is good characters, good acting and good writing.

let's just hope they don't do something really dumb, like casting stuart townsend in the lead.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby cap on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:14 pm

I remeber seeing the movie a long time ago. It was interesting.

How it will play out on TV is another thing. I will at least give it a view. If they run it in April as the "midseason" replacement, it will be doomed, not matter how good it is.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:14 pm

The film's brilliant from what I can remember of it (a rerun on BBC2 or BBC4 is long overdue) and Hackman's performance is a real tour-de-force. Beautifully understated and gut-wrenching at times. If the series kept to the complexity and emotional paranoia of the movie then maybe it would work. Certainly, setting it in the 70's would also work to it's advantage IMO.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:22 pm

I think it would actually work very well for the day and age we're in now, with Big Brother watching more than ever. Just ask Papalarezu. It could go into all the good and bad of our lives being surveillanced and consequences for stalker and stalkee. I know the consequences of being just one of those, so it would be great to get both perspecs of each. Then again, anything about surveillance and paranoia (or not so, if you're right) can be seen as a spin off in one way or another from The Conversation, so I don't see an elaborated and expanded on idea of this original movie to have much to do with it, or not be unlike a lot of other stuff we've seen.

I'm well up for it though. I think it's a great idea and theme, and it would provide great excitement and intrigue into the whole subject. I'm up for it.

But anyway, enough about me being stalked...
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Return to Coaxial