Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:05 am

I watch Drunk History, it's funny *and* informative. I haven't been keeping up with season 3 that much, but I watched the episode with Dan Harmon just to see how drunk he got.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tfactor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:53 pm

yeah its kind of like that scene in Jaws where Quint talks about that ship sinking, except if it were told by a drunk Bill Burr who just made fun of the situation

What an amazing idea, what if someone created a Drunk Movie Review thread. We could get wasted and film ourselves giving reviews of our favorite movies (or least favorite). Just a thought, seems like it would fit right in here at the zone

Thoughts?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:17 pm

I'll do it!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 pm

I would never review a film sober again.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:43 pm

i've never reviewed a film sober to begin with.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:49 pm

if there is anything worse than writing a review while sober it is reading one while sober, because who wants to read the self-gratification of a failed writer when you aren't under the influence of some sort of foreign substance.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tfactor on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'll do it!

I'm in! What should we call this new thread? Also we should probably get this out of coaxial

Name ideas:
The inebriated games
The drunk trunk
Slurred words of the zone
Public intoxication with friends
Beer goggle movie reviews
1 burden, 1 shot and 1 movie
Beer with popcorn and beer with a movie and beer
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:05 am

tfactor wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I'll do it!

I'm in! What should we call this new thread? Also we should probably get this out of coaxial

Name ideas:
The inebriated games
The drunk trunk
Slurred words of the zone
Public intoxication with friends
Beer goggle movie reviews
1 burden, 1 shot and 1 movie
Beer with popcorn and beer with a movie and beer

GORDON HAS A BEER AND CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:33 am

Cinemax Orders SKIN TRADE Script
George R.R. Martin wrote:I am very excited to announce the Cinemax (HBO's sister company) has optioned the television rights to "The Skin Trade," the offbeat "werewolf noir" novella I penned back in the late 80s. The deal is closed, and Cinemax has ordered the pilot script. This being Hollywood, of course, you never know where things will end... but if they like the script, we'll shoot a pilot, and if they like that, hey, who knows, maybe we'll get a series on the air.

Which would be very cool. I have always thought there was a TV series (or maybe a feature film) in Willie Flambeaux and Randi Wade. Those of you who know the story of DOORWAYS, my ill-fated ABC pilot from the early 90s, may even recall that it was SKIN TRADE that I was actually trying to sell back in 1991, when I flew out to LA for a round of pitch meetings. So we're a few decades late...

"The Skin Trade" has had a storied, and complex, publishing history. It was originally written for NIGHT VISION 5, the fifth volume of the prestigious annual horror anthology from the late lamented small press Dark Harvest, where it appeared together with original contributions from Dan Simmons and Stephen King, some stellar company. The novella was very well received, and went on to win that year's World Fantasy Award.

More recently, the novella was purchased by Mike the Pike Productions, who played a big part in taking the project to Cinemax. To handle the adaptation, script the pilot, and produce the show (should we get a greenlight), we've tapped a terrific talented young scriptwriter named KALINDA VAZQUEZ, whose previous credits include work on PRISON BREAK and ONCE UPON A TIME. That was not an easy choice. Cinemax and my agents set me up for meetings with close to a dozen different Tv writers, many of them very impressive, but Kalinda's take on the story and the characters blew me away. She loves the story and the world, and really seems to get Willie and Randi, and her pitch to Cinemax was one of the most polished and professional I've ever heard. I love her enthusiasm, and look forward to working with her.

(And no, while I would have loved to write the script and run the show myself myself, that was never really in the cards. I have this book to finish. You know the one).

So... THE SKIN TRADE... coming to your TV set, er, eventually. Maybe. Howl for it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bryan Fuller

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:19 pm

‘Amazing Stories’ Will Be Retold By Bryan Fuller & Amblin Duo
Erik Pedersen wrote:It’s been 30 years since NBC debuted the Steven Spielberg-produced anthology series Amazing Stories. Like nearly every other ’80s film and TV series, it seems, now it’s coming back. Hannibal creator Bryan Fuller is set to write and executive produce Universal TV’s remake of the 1985-87 series for NBC, giving the network a player in the reinvigorated anthology genre. Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey also are EPs on the project. Spielberg is sitting this one out.

The original Amazing Stories got an initial two-season order but didn’t click with audiences and was canceled. The series won five Emmys, including one for guest actor John Lithgow, and earned Spielberg a directing nom for the memorable World War II-themed episode “The Mission.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘All Of Me’ Meets 'Quantum Leap'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 pm

‘All Of Me’ TV Series Remake In Works At NBC
Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE: All Of Me, Carl Reiner’s 1984 body-swapping feature comedy that starred Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin, is heading to television. NBC is developing an All Of Me half-hour comedy series, loosely based on the movie, with My Boys creator Betsy Thomas set to write and serve as executive producer/showrunner. Universal Television, whose sibling Universal Pictures produced the movie, is the studio.

I hear the NBC adaptation would be an anthology series, with a different person jumping into the protagonist’s body every week as he tries to help solve the problems that are holding them back.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Peaky Blinders is like a parody of the British fascination with British gangster movies
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:31 am

Ribbons wrote:Peaky Blinders is like a parody of the British fascination with British gangster movies

It is an enjoyable romp.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:11 am

As you can probably tell I'm a little down on the show right now. A couple people I know have sung its praises so I'm finally watching it. The show is full of really bad cliches (the best possible place to meet to discuss secrets is a church, really?), and the whole "Lost Generation" thing is a little too Boardwalk Empire. It's supposed to ennoble these street gangs that predate World War I by a good fifty years and actually came to an end not long after, and I'm not really buying what they're selling. Plus I googled "peaky blinders" and that whole razor blade in the hat thing is an urban myth.

But anyway, maybe it improves? I hope it does. I'm watching the whole thing either way. I can't wait for that female spy from Ireland to totally not fall in love with Cillian Murphy and join their gang. Okay I should stop.

One of the things I liked on a meta level is that they've got people from all over the place doing different accents.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:30 am

My wife and I are about halfway through the second season. I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is to entertain and probably not much else. Looking for anything beyond that is foolish. This thing won't hit you in the feels like a Deadwood or other shows (but really nothing is better than Deadwood) but it sure is fun watching these assholes be shitheads.

Plus, Sam Neill is such a great bastard.

Also, I love the episode where their dad shows up and they all look like they went to school together. I was having flashbacks to this:

caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah, Sam Neill is great. He could beat me up anytime.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: ‘The Muppets’

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:27 am

‘The Muppets’ Showrunner Bob Kushell Exits As Series Heads For Reboot
Nellie Andreeva wrote:There is a behind the scenes shakeup on ABC’s freshman comedy series The Muppets. Gone is co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Bob Kushell. Kristin Newman (Galavant) is in negotiations to succeed him as new showrunner under her overall deal at ABC Studios, the studio that produces The Muppets. The move is part of a creative overhaul of the freshman comedy, which is expected to take a hiatus after finishing Episode 10 for a reboot. ABC recently ordered 3 more episodes, bringing The Muppets‘ first season to 16 episodes — 10 to air in the fall and the other 6 in midseason after a winter hiatus. The spring run will likely be treated as a relaunch.

Kushell co-wrote the original Muppets presentation with The Big Bang Theory co-creator/executive producer Bill Prady. Because of Prady’s commitment to the hit CBS comedy, Kushell was tapped as solo showrunner on The Muppets, with Brady coming in two days a week.

The Muppets was rushed to air by broadcast TV standards, filming a last-minute presentation in April and getting a slot on the fall schedule just a couple of weeks later — before its concept, style and tone had been fully formed. That added tension to the already stressed environment on the show, which faced a tight production schedule and a complicated shoot because of the seamless mix of real actors and puppets.

Because it marked the TV return of beloved characters, there were high expectations for the series, which was launched with a big marketing campaign that employed ABC’s biggest stars plugging the Muppets’ comeback comedy. But after a highly-rated premiere, ratings dropped. The Muppets has done an OK job opening Tuesday night for ABC at 8 PM, with its numbers on par with lead-out Fresh Off The Boat, but because of its marquee title, The Muppets has been held to a different standard, so its performance has been considered somewhat disappointing, and there has been a concern about its creative direction.

Behind the scenes, I hear there was a clash in styles and vision for the show between Kushell and Prady, which was exacerbated by Prady’s part-time participation, leading to swings in direction on scripts that had been already in progress. I hear Kushell was well-liked among the cast, crew and the producers, but the discord proved too taxing on everyone and was starting to show on the screen. It was getting harder for the show to go on with both Prady and Kushell, and a decision was made to let Kushell go, though I hear many wanted him to stay.

The Muppets follows Kermit the Frog and the rest of the Muppet gang as they produce a late-night talk show, Up Late With Miss Piggy. The series stars Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo, Pepé the King Prawn, Rizzo the Rat, Scooter, Rowlf and the Electric Mayhem.

Season-to-date, The Muppets still ranks as Tuesday’s highest-rated new TV show among Adults 18-49 (2.6). On average, the freshman show is improving its half-hour for ABC by 69% in Total Viewers (7.6 million) and by 86% in Adults 18-49 (2.6), standing as the net’s strongest performing Tuesday comedy in 4 years. In its most recent airing last night, The Muppets matched its delivery from last week, a 1.4 in 18-49 (Live+same day). Fresh Off The Boat did a 1.5.

Newman had a fast start in TV writing. She landed her first staff job in 2000 on That ’70s Show, rising to supervising producer. Following the end of the Fox sitcom in 2006, Newman got her first overall deal at 20th TV where she joined another long-running young ensemble comedy, How I Met Your Mother, as co-executive producer. Newman, repped by UTA and Hansen Jacobson, also worked on the NBC/WBTV dramedy Chuck, created the ABC/ABC Studios comedy Single With Parents and served as co-executive producer on ABC/ABCS’ The Neighbors and Galavant and as executive producer/showrunner on ABC/ABCS’ comedy pilot Delores and Jermaine this past season.

Newman would executive produce The Muppets alongside Prady, Randall Einhorn, Bill Barretta, Debbie McClellan and Kyle Laughlin for ABC Studios and The Muppets Studio.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Does anybody know if Selma already came and went from the pay-cable networks? I've been waiting... and waiting... for it to show up on HBO or something, but either I missed it or it's taking a really long time. Maybe they're waiting for MLK Day next year?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:Does anybody know if Selma already came and went from the pay-cable networks? I've been waiting... and waiting... for it to show up on HBO or something, but either I missed it or it's taking a really long time. Maybe they're waiting for MLK Day next year?

It's on Netflix in Canada, which usually lines up with its appearance on pay TV here. They could well be waiting for MLK Day/Black History month in the States.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:56 pm

HBO's new show Vinyl, about rocknrollin' in the late '70s:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:HBO's new show Vinyl, about rocknrollin' in the late '70s:

Looks pretty cool.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:57 am

Bobby Canavale's performance is a bit too Pacino-ish for me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:52 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 59911.html

Looks good. Apparently Tolstoy would have wanted it this way. All sexed up.

This will air on BBC1 in 2016.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:57 am

Maui wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/andrew-davies-bbc-raunchy-adaptation-of-tolstoy-s-russian-epic-war-and-peace-condensed-into-6-a6759911.html

Whore and Piece

i read this book. the whole thing. once.
anything they can or need to do to make it interesting, i'm all for it. a more faithful adaptation would be nothing more than a cure for insomnia.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/andrew-davies-bbc-raunchy-adaptation-of-tolstoy-s-russian-epic-war-and-peace-condensed-into-6-a6759911.html

Whore and Piece

i read this book. the whole thing. once.
anything they can or need to do to make it interesting, i'm all for it. a more faithful adaptation would be nothing more than a cure for insomnia.

Agree. While I found reading about the Napoleonic era exciting, all 1000 pages of it....I welcome any jazzy, sexed up version BBC can offer.
Maui
WoWie

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:21 am

I watched a bit of that show "Black Jesus." Funny stuff.

Charlie Murphy's character bears a striking resemblance to my father-in-law. Wardrobe included.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:52 pm

I started watching SyFy's new space opera, The Expanse. So far its piqued my interest - I will watch a few more episodes to see if it's worth my time. Most of the reviews out there are saying the show is trying to be another Battlestar Galactia. I guess I am lucky in that regard as I never watched Battlestar Galactica. If I end up losing interest in this, I should probably start watching Battlestar Galactica, huh?
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Maui wrote:I started watching SyFy's new space opera, The Expanse. So far its piqued my interest - I will watch a few more episodes to see if it's worth my time. Most of the reviews out there are saying the show is trying to be another Battlestar Galactia. I guess I am lucky in that regard as I never watched Battlestar Galactica. If I end up losing interest in this, I should probably start watching Battlestar Galactica, huh?

Yes! Fix this issue! :D

Someone else pointed me towards this, it's got Thomas Jane in it so it's pretty much a definite for me (Loved him as the Punisher and in Hung).
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:54 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Maui wrote:I started watching SyFy's new space opera, The Expanse. So far its piqued my interest - I will watch a few more episodes to see if it's worth my time. Most of the reviews out there are saying the show is trying to be another Battlestar Galactia. I guess I am lucky in that regard as I never watched Battlestar Galactica. If I end up losing interest in this, I should probably start watching Battlestar Galactica, huh?

What he said ^^
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

What he said ^^

I am in the process of fixing this. I've already watched part 1 and part 2. Excellent so far. Now I get why critics are saying The Expanse is copying BG.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

What he said ^^

I am in the process of fixing this. I've already watched part 1 and part 2. Excellent so far. Now I get why critics are saying The Expanse is copying BG.

Hopefully they don't copy the series ending. Yeah, I said it, I disliked the last few seasons of BG!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 am

Ive watched the first two episodes of Billions and I'm hooked. This story puts hedge fund mogul (Damian Lewis) vs. US district attorney (Paul Giamatti). There is an abundance of male ego here and it's acted out perfectly in this drama.

Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Two trailers that look awesome.

The Night Manager (BBC - February 29, AMC - April 19) - Hugh Laurie/Tom Hiddleston

Taboo (FX - 2017) - Ridley Scott/Tom Hardy
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:52 pm

i'm really, really missing the Daily Show right now. i watched for about a week when the new guy took over, but it sucked, so i stopped.
WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING, JON STEWART!?!? leaving the daily show right before a presidential election? especially THIS ONE!? forfuxsake.
john oliver and stephen colbert and samantha bee are helping to take up the slack, but there's really no substitute.

where have you gone, jon stewart? a nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.
what's that you say, future president Trump? Joltin Jon has left and gone away.
ai-yi-yi!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 pm

6 episodes into Lucifer and it's a big win for me. Tom Ellis, where have you been all my life?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Anybody else watch The Returned (Les Revenants), the French zombie show? I'm digging into the second season now. It's good stuff, very moody and mysterious.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:27 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am

with Mel directing, i expect everyone on this show to be speaking Barbarian (that's the language of the Barbary Coast, right?)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 am

What the shit is this shit?

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:What the shit is this shit?

caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Holy hell in a handbasket, Lethal Weapon TV show? I'm getting to old for this shit...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 am

it's shit.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm

i bet danny glover is proud to have the role he originated pass into the capable hands of damon wayans. :roll:
and apparently, even though his boss(?) in the trailer pointedly mentions that he's still only a detective in his 50s, he's still able to afford to live in a fucking mansion on a cop's salary. :roll: :roll: :roll:
and don't even get me started on the exorcist. i heard about this, and being that the exorcist is my favorite horror film of all time, and in my top 3 of favorite films of all time, i was definitely curious. and with other recent series based on classic horror films (Bates Motel, Damien) being way better than they have any right to be, i held out hope. but this is Fox, and that shitstain of a trailer makes it obvious this is gonna be a low-quality jump-scare-fest that pays more attention to CGI effects than to good writing, good characters and creating a creepy atmosphere.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 17, 2016 4:12 pm

TheBaxter wrote:...the exorcist is my favorite horror film of all time, and in my top 3 of favorite films of all time...

Its literally the number one film on my list.... of films I will never watch again. Snuck into my parents room one afternoon when I was 10-11 years old and watched this on cable. I didn't sleep for a week, and to this day have never watched it again. My cousin and I have the DVD, and we periodically hide it at each other's house. So yeah, this film is pure evil.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm

i don't get it, it isn't that scary, it is just gross

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 pm

different people find different things scary. some people are scared of snakes and spiders; i keep them as pets. some people jump out of airplanes and lean over the railings of 20-story buildings, but i'm terrified of heights. i've always found the cinema verite type of horror most frightening, gore and jump scares and that shit never bother me, but a creepy foreboding atmosphere affects me lots more. that's why stuff like blair witch and paranormal activity works on me in a way the typical "cgi ghost jumping out from under a bed" movie doesn't.

plus, as far as films go, so much depends on when you see something. i saw exorcist for the first time around 10 or 11, by that time i'd seen quite a few horror films and had already started getting used to them, to where very few were actually scary, but something about the exorcist scared me shitless, it was so different form what i was used to, the creepy makeup job, the fucked-up voice coming out of that little girl, the idea of something taking over my body like that and being trapped inside like she was, powerless to help it, that's fucking scary. it doesn't scare me anymore, but that's because i've seen it a bajillion times, but that possessed girl makeup still creeps me out, probably by tapping into whatever i felt that first time i saw it. on the other hand, when the film was reissued, i went to see it in a theater with lots of teenagers and they were giggling and laughing at all the parts that used to creep me out. maybe it was nervous laughter, but more likely it was just the usual generational thing, things that were scary to the previous generation are par for the course for younger kids who grew up on that stuff. just like how 50s and 60s horror films may have been legitimately scary to those audiences but seem silly and laughable to us.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2016 7:54 pm

John Ratzenberger Joins HBO Pilot ‘A Lot’
Roberta Colindrez In ‘I Love Dick’ Amazon Pilot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR